• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

olore

Well... he got so effing gifted today and he knows it. Lewis will crack the whip, Toto will crack the whip and onwards to the next race.

Forever 44

duckroll

let's hypothetically say Rosberg wins the championship by exactly 15 points (the effective result of the of the change in position due to the unecessary pitstop). will he still say "I know I was lucky"

If the championship is close enough that the difference is 15 points, then whoever wins the championship deserves it. In extreme circumstances, individual race wins can be handed to drivers, like it was today. But over the course of an entire season, it is dedication and hard work that wins a championship. I hate it when people sell it short by saying drivers are "just lucky" or that "the car did everything". It's just not sporting.

NHale

So Portuguese TV announcers have said live that Hamilton tried to leave the car at Portier and not go to the podium. Team had to convince him to go to the podium because he would get DQ'd otherwise. I'm not finding anything about this anywhere so was just Tiago Monteiro talking out of his ass or was just a shit rumor about him stopped 30 seconds at Portier?

jey_16

Banned
So Portuguese TV announcers have said live that Hamilton tried to leave the car at Portier and not go to the podium. Team had to convince him to go to the podium because he would get DQ'd otherwise. I'm not finding anything about this anywhere so was just Tiago Monteiro talking out of his ass or was just a shit rumor about him stopped 30 seconds at Portier?

he did stop for a while there, commentators thought he had a problem with the car so this could be true

duckroll

He stopped for quite a while before continuing on again. It definitely happened, but I don't think we know for sure why. When he drove into the third place spot, he also drove into the large third place marker and rammed it. After getting his bottle of champagne from the podium, he took the bottle to an empty corner a short distance from his car, and put his helmet down and just sulked. He was not having a good day at all.

For the championship, I'm glad Rosberg won, even if it was luck. The more tension the better.

And happy for Nasr. Dude deserves a better car.

Mastah

Remember when Senna crashed out of the race in 1988?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRgYuv6kosI

Same place where Hamilton stopped and I immediately thought he wanted to do the same as Senna - to go home and to not bother with F1 for few days.

Mastah

AMuS reports that Grosjean actually braked later than lap before, according to what stewards have seen on telemetry data.

How Alonso can get a penalty after being alongside Hulkenberg and Ricciardo hits Raikkonen's rear wheel and gets away with it I will never know.

F1 is run by idiots, that's why. For me all collisions should be treated like racing incidents, just let them race. The only penalties should be issued fo things like ramming other on prupose (prupose, get it?), moving in braking zones, not leaving enough space for other car or massively misjudging moves.

Wow, some heads need to roll on Hamilton's team. What a massive fuck up. This isn't the first time either.

Garbage stewarding today. What a joke that Alonso got a penalty and not RIC. That crash was intense, having the on board view right as it happened.

Bouniter

Wow, some heads need to roll on Hamilton's team. What a massive fuck up. This isn't the first time either.

Garbage stewarding today. What a joke that Alonso got a penalty and not RIC. That crash was intense, having the on board view right as it happened.

My thoughts exactly a very disappointing and frustrating race all things considered.

For fuck sake Merc. Feel bad for Hamilton, Rosberg did nothing wrong.

Yeah, mixed emotions all around. I had no love for Hamilton going into the weekend especially with the 5,000 mentions of, "150 million dollar man" and about 3,600 mentions of his choice of sunglasses. But that is a really shitty way to lose a race, especially Monaco. Felt genuinely bad for him and was almost hoping RIC would pass him so he wouldn't have to do the podium routine. On top of that, it is hard to be mad at ROS, he didn't do anything wrong and drove a perfectly good race, and was well aware of the gifted win. If that wasn't enough, Vettle is now the cheeky loveable one on the podium. Kimi is a non stop stream of complaints. Alonso and Button are broken. Man, what a weird season. I don't even know who I am getting joy from vicariously anymore. Vettel....that just feels weird. God damn my life long love of anything Ferrari.

Spades

What I don't understand is that Lewis himself said in the press conference that the "team said to stay out" originally, and it was only after he suggested that his tyres were done that they suggested he might pit, yet nobody is discussing this.

What I don't understand is that Lewis himself said in the press conference that the "team said to stay out" originally, and it was only after he suggested that his tyres were done that they suggested he might pit, yet nobody is discussing this.

Doesn't matter. A driver reports issues and that's his job. The job of the team is to process the data and take the right call. I would still blame the team even if he asked to pit

35YHzYG.gif

Igo

Did he actually say they were done or just had lost all temp and grip like the other drivers?

Also, I assume the team told him to box before changing their minds originally? That would make sense if he thought Rosberg and Vettel had already pitted.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
let's hypothetically say Rosberg wins the championship by exactly 15 points (the effective result of the of the change in position due to the unecessary pitstop). will he still say "I know I was lucky"

This is not really much different from a technical defect. I am sure that many of them are equally unnecessary as todays tactical blunder. In both cases the team made a mistake. And it happens all the time. No driver would say that he got lucky because his rival had one more defect than him.

yami4ct

Really tough break for Lewis. Feel awful for him, but that's how it goes sometimes. A combination of a shaky pitwall move that wouldn't have killed him in the right circumstances and awful dumb luck on the timing. I see what the pit was going for, getting him on fresh tyres for a restart after the pack bunched up. It wasn't really a needed move given how few laps were left (particularly after a restart), but it wouldn't have killed him had the Safety Car come out a hair bit later and the pack was spread a bit longer. Dumb mistake mixed with awful timing.

Still, it made the end of the race something to see. Loved seeing Danny chase Lewis down while Lewis was trying to get around Sebastian. Super exciting to watch. Thing I take away most, though, is I'm gutted for Verstappen. Kid was super fun to watch with his back marker hiding maneuver. He made a rookie mistake, sure, but he was still running a great, fun to watch race. Only thing that was really making the race watchable pre-crash.

Aiii

So not worth it
Jos Verstappen says the Toro Rosso team data shows Verstappen braked earlier than the previous lap when the accident happened. I am a bit puzzled why they still judged it with a grid penalty and penalty points instead of a racing incident and left it at that.

Shaneus

Can someone tell me where in the race all this controversy happened? I completely missed it and only wound up hearing the result this morning on the radio. I might backtrack through the thread, unless there's a good article somewhere that covers it.

Sounds like it's a bit crazy though.

kharma45

Can someone tell me where in the race all this controversy happened? I completely missed it and only wound up hearing the result this morning on the radio. I might backtrack through the thread, unless there's a good article somewhere that covers it.

Sounds like it's a bit crazy though.

Start at lap 60 or so.

yami4ct

Jos Verstappen says the Toro Rosso team data shows Verstappen braked earlier than the previous lap when the accident happened. I am a bit puzzled why they still judged it with a grid penalty and penalty points instead of a racing incident and left it at that.

Rookies get harsher treatment than veterans. It happened a few times last year with Mags as well. Kind of sucks, but that's the way it goes.

Not entirely on topic but after watching Indy today, can anyone explain why the Indy cars are so much more comfortable in the "dirty air" then F1 cars? The overtaking and drafting was a ton of fun to watch.

Is it just a matter of it being on a high speed ring? Or are the exhaust systems/aerodynamics different?

DBT85

Not having "real" corners helps, but more importantly, massively simpler aero over the front of the car.

The front wing on an f1 car sets the aero up for the entire car, so when it's messy hitting that front wing, it buggers everything up and huge down force is lost. It's not the lack of downforce that's really the issue, it's the huge change from clean air to dirty air. If the difference was less, drivers wouldn't mind being in the dirty air as much.

Doesn't seem to be an end to that problem in sight though.

Not entirely on topic but after watching Indy today, can anyone explain why the Indy cars are so much more comfortable in the "dirty air" then F1 cars? The overtaking and drafting was a ton of fun to watch.

Is it just a matter of it being on a high speed ring? Or are the exhaust systems/aerodynamics different?
Less aero on the indy cars. Especially on the front wing.

Not having "real" corners helps, but more importantly, massively simpler aero over the front of the car.

The front wing on an f1 car sets the aero up for the entire car, so when it's messy hitting that front wing, it buggers everything up and huge down force is lost. It's not the lack of downforce that's really the issue, it's the huge change from clean air to dirty air. If the difference was less, drivers wouldn't mind being in the dirty air as much.

Doesn't seem to be an end to that problem in sight though.
But we can mitigate the issue by allowing tyre manufacturers to make the tyres theyre capable of making in 2015. High degradation tyres have changed the sport for the worse.

dubc35

Ha, damnit Vettel makes you want to like him with the "I'm happy!" at the end of the podium interview. I literally LOL'd!

Tough break for Lewis, exhibit 43,789 of how racing is a team sport.

Thanks, despite both being open wheel, there are definitely some noticeable differences in how the cars look, so it's interesting to learn the difference in front wing importance to F1.

Watching it also made me want to watch the F1 cars on a high speed loop. I think since starting to watch F1 I've come to appreciate auto racing in general much more then I used to.

Shaneus

Wait... so what happened? Hamilton pitted (I assume he didn't need to) but Rosberg and Vettel didn't, and lost two spots? If I'm interpreting that correctly, that's shocking decision making on the part of Hammy's pit wall. Ugh, how frustrating for him.

Did anything eventuate from the Max/Grosjean collision? From what I can see, it would almost be Grosjean's fault for taking a weird line around that corner.

dubc35

Wait... so what happened? Hamilton pitted (I assume he didn't need to) but Rosberg and Vettel didn't, and lost two spots? If I'm interpreting that correctly, that's shocking decision making on the part of Hammy's pit wall. Ugh, how frustrating for him.

Did anything eventuate from the Max/Grosjean collision? From what I can see, it would almost be Grosjean's fault for taking a weird line around that corner.

Good rundown here.

Top Bottom