• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

jdw_b

How many drivers would have thought ''hey I already moved up to 8th position, I'm going to get to the finish line now and not take any risk'' ?

As said, I haven't watched a lot of F1 in the past years but the main reason for that was that it felt superboring to me, with Max in F1 I look forward to every new GP! And I don't even care that he is from the same country as me, if he was f.e. Japanese I would root for him too.

To be honest that overtake wasn't even risky, he ballsed it up by not properly assessing the situation and ended up trying to brake too late. He was already ahead of Raikonnen...

A prime example of a risk taker was Perez at Mclaren, but risk taking in F1 is usually people divebombing and outbreaking themselves. I don't really see it as a wholly positive attribute

To be honest that overtake wasn't even risky, he ballsed it up by not properly assessing the situation and ended up trying to brake too late. He was already ahead of Raikonnen...

You could tell he was already thinking about the next overtake. He wanted to get as close as possible to the car in front. Sloppy really.

jdw_b

He says he had a lack of downforce due to being in the dirty air from the Williams.

Not buying this at all to be honest. He's already proven this year at Monaco that he's unable to own up to mistakes

If you watch the attempted overtake, he's past Raikonnen well before the braking zone and as he starts breaking he dives to the inside, here he either a) thinks he can even outbreak the Williams or b) is covering Raikonnen and thus not paying attention to what's happening in front of him.

If you look at when his DRS closes compared to Raikonnen the difference is massive

He did the exact same thing earlier on in the race when passing Bottas, but got away with it that time

Ark

I've said this before and I guess I'll say it again now: Verstappen's moves aren't 'brilliant', they're reckless and entirely reliant on the skill of the other driver to get out of the way. If Max Verstappen started in F1 in 2006/7, he'd have caused well over several crashes by now. The significant up-turn in driver skill since 2010 is the only reason he hasn't.

I'm not hating on him, the boy clearly has great potential and I'd like to see him do well. But he's being over hyped and treated like some 'second coming' of Aryton when in reality he's basically a Maldonado who doesn't spin the rears.

frontieruk

I've said this before and I guess I'll say it again now: Verstappen's moves aren't 'brilliant', they're reckless and entirely reliant on the skill of the other driver to get out of the way. If Max Verstappen started in F1 in 2006/7, he'd have caused well over several crashes by now. The significant up-turn in driver skill since 2010 is the only reason he hasn't.

I'm not hating on him, the boy clearly has great potential and I'd like to see him do well. But he's being over hyped and treated like some 'second coming' of Aryton when in reality he's basically a Maldonado who doesn't spin the rears.

That could be due to the Renault engine tbf...

He sounds sort of like McLaren era Perez but luckier.

Paul Hembéry of Pirelly responds to Vettel:

“In November 2013, Pirelli requested that there should be rules to govern the maximum number of laps that can be driven on the same set of tyres, among other parameters to do with correct tyre usage,” said the statement. “This request was not accepted.”

“The proposal put forward a maximum distance equivalent to 50% of the grand prix distance for the prime tyre and 30% for the option. These conditions, if applied today at Spa, would have limited the maximum number of laps on the medium compound to 22.”

Vettel’s medium compound tyre failed 27 laps into his stint.

A.O. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk

yami4ct

There should be a risk to running tyres too long, but that should not be complete failure. Even if Ferrari did run the Pirelli's too long, it's still Pirelli's fault they failed. The punishment for overusing a tyre should be a performance dive, not a dangerous blowout.

Still meaningless given they told the teams the tyre could do 40 laps. Getting tired of Pirelli's politics.

...and as previously stated, Vettel's times were consistent. Not amazingly quick, but definitely not a tyre going off a cliff.

Yup. Pirelli say "The wear life was indicated at around 40 laps, but it's an indication. You don't guarantee because it's variable car-to-car, on the race conditions, race situation. Sometimes it's not a precise data."

So basically meaningless. But again, irrelevant, we've seen what happens when the tyres degrade that far, they're undriveable. Not in this case.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Yeah, the surprising thing is that the tyre blew up before performance fell down the cliff. Can't blame Vettel/Ferrari for being pissed about that.

jdw_b

Paul Hembéry of Pirelly responds to Vettel:

“In November 2013, Pirelli requested that there should be rules to govern the maximum number of laps that can be driven on the same set of tyres, among other parameters to do with correct tyre usage,” said the statement. “This request was not accepted.”

“The proposal put forward a maximum distance equivalent to 50% of the grand prix distance for the prime tyre and 30% for the option. These conditions, if applied today at Spa, would have limited the maximum number of laps on the medium compound to 22.”

Vettel’s medium compound tyre failed 27 laps into his stint.

A.O. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk

So basically, they put forward this proposal, had it rejected and just left it at that.

Knowing that their tyres could just pop after an extended stint.

They didn't think to maybe put some effort into making sure this wouldn't happen? Maybe the FIA thought this "maximum distance" stipulation was ridiculous, like everyone else does, and assumed Pirelli would then actually plow some of their supposed expertise into bettering their own product

yami4ct

IndyCar has had a couple major injuries this year right? Now we have a driver death to add to that. Sounds like the series needs a serious safety referendum. This cannot keep going on.

RIP Justin. What awful news to hear.

Fox Mulder

IndyCar has had a couple major injuries this year right? Now we have a driver death to add to that. Sounds like the series needs a serious safety referendum. This cannot keep going on.

RIP Justin. What awful news to hear.

They had a few odd car flips with the new aero, but the series has really done a bunch about safety. Can't really do much about a driver being hit with debris in an open cockpit.

yami4ct

They had a few odd car flips with the new aero, but the series has really done a bunch about safety. Can't really do much about a driver being hit with debris in an open cockpit.

I'm glad to hear they've made changes. I've only caught a couple races this season, so I haven't followed all the news.

I expect this to lead to more discussion about closed cockpits, which is alright by me. Cars can still look awesome with closed cockpits and as long as they can keep visibility up and not make the aero situation worse, I'm very ok with them in formula 1 and Indy.

hitgirl

Damn RIP.

Makes you wonder if Jules and WIlson would both be alive if we had closed cockpits. Don't want to turn it into an argument about it. Time to respect both who passed. Sad year for racing.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Closed cockpits probably has its own set of risks, but with amount of work they put into safety they could probably be resolved.

dubc35

Damn, rest in peace and condolences to the family and friends. This has been a rough couple months for racing. I don't want to argue about closed cockpits either, and tbh I have personally been against them, but I'm all for them now if they do indeed increase driver safety.

RIP

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
RIP

The problem with IndyCar is the ridiculous aero package they run on ovals. Pack racing isn't meant for open wheel.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Just woke up to this bad news.

RIP Justin Wilson

A "cage" might've helped Surtees, de Villota, Bianchi, Wilson, maybe Wheldon?. Would need a canopy/front shield to prevent smaller debris like in Massa's case.

yami4ct

The impact in Jules' crash completely decimated the car. He hit an essentially immovable object and he and his car absorbed the majority of the impact. No canopy can guard against that.

Yeah, Jule's crash was so horrible and violent, I don't think anything could stop it short of him being in a tank. The only solution is making sure something like that could never happen again. Make sure that high speed cars and safety equipment can never even get close. The extra safety measure implemented seemed to be a good step in that direction.

The canopy is more of a solution for flying debris like what happened to Justin or Massa. It's still an idea worth reconsidering.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120475

Pastor Maldonado's second-lap retirement with a loss of power in the Belgian Grand Prix was "self-inflicted", according to his Lotus Formula 1 team.

The Venezuelan went off track at Eau Rouge, damaging his clutch control system, and forcing him into retirement for the seventh time in 11 races this season.

The incident came after a crash that Maldonado described as "very unlucky" during Friday practice at Spa and three separate penalties that he incurred at the previous race in Hungary.

"Maldonado's retirement was self-inflicted," said Lotus trackside operations director Alan Permane.

"He had a huge off at Eau Rouge. That damaged the clutch-control system.

"The valves were damaged and that locked his clutch out. That's why he couldn't get back."

DD

Eita, Frijns is eyeing a full-time seat at Andretti on Formula E. Please be true. Another great and very talented addition to the already great grid.

Wouldn't be so funny but...

The team's equipment was impounded at the Spa-Francorchamps track on Sunday night because of a legal dispute with Lotus's former reserve driver Charles Pic and it will take a settlement on Monday morning or later to free them up.

"We've scrimped and scraped for parts and to get the cars on the track is a massive effort each week. So to be able to stick it on the podium is unbelievable."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34033509

I'm still waiting for something like this to happen to Maldonado:
d2debcd5.gif

Top Bottom