• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Haha vettel so mad. Pirelli still a joke.
They tell the teams how long to expect the tyres to last and a maximum safe operating distance. If the teams choose to ignore those things it's not Pirelli's fault. There was a particular incident at Silverstone 2013 where there were multiple tyre explosions and in the end it was determined that all the affected cars were running suspension settings outside the parameters Pirelli had stated were safe for operation. You really can't blame them if they teams are going to take risks.

Vettel should be mad at the team. Should have pitted with 10-12 laps left for options and plowed through. That's something he's entirely capable of. Instead they left him out there knowing he was beyond the safety recommendations given and put him at risk. Had the failure played out differently (like, say, at the crest of the climb when the car gets light) it could caused a disaster.

Zeknurn

Can someone remind me why Renault pulled out of having a works team and what makes it different for them now to come back?

Renault has spent millions and millions on developing this new hybrid engine and if Red Bull decides to drop them they will have to run the engines themselves if they want to get anything out of all that money.

Shaneus

They tell the teams how long to expect the tyres to last and a maximum safe operating distance. If the teams choose to ignore those things it's not Pirelli's fault. There was a particular incident at Silverstone 2013 where there were multiple tyre explosions and in the end it was determined that all the affected cars were running suspension settings outside the parameters Pirelli had stated were safe for operation. You really can't blame them if they teams are going to take risks.

Vettel should be mad at the team. Should have pitted with 10-12 laps left for options and plowed through. That's something he's entirely capable of. Instead they left him out there knowing he was beyond the safety recommendations given and put him at risk. Had the failure played out differently (like, say, at the crest of the climb when the car gets light) it could caused a disaster.
Exactly this. It's not Pirelli's fault, it's either Vettel's if he chose to 1-stop, or the team for that same decision.

McNum

I missed most of this race due to other obligations, just saw the start and the last five or so laps. Did I miss anything, or was the cars not making it to the start and Vettel's rear tire exploding the highlights of the race?

TCRS

Banned
well yeah those were the highlights but there was still a lot of racing in between. but also a couple of laps of nothing happening. was a mixed race but I enjoyed it except for that catastrophic ferrari failure of course.

stryke

CUTW5Ie.png

edit - no action taken

McNum

well yeah those were the highlights but there was still a lot of racing in between. but also a couple of laps of nothing happening. was a mixed race but I enjoyed it except for that catastrophic ferrari failure of course.
Well, good. I guess I got kind of lucky with the few minutes I managed to sneak in. Did Vettel overextend his stint on that wheel or was it just awful luck that it failed? The discussion on the last few pages seem to indicate he overextended it. A calculated risk, I guess, but a risk none the less. I don't see how the Risk/Reward stacks up for making that choice. That is easy to say when the tire failure happened already, of course, but the risks of changing vs. not changing seem to be slower time vs. risk not finishing the race. I know F1 is supposedly about pushing limits, but those were the wrong limits to push...

Bad move by Ferrari.

Mastah

We'll see if it's a one-off like Vettel's tyre explosion after completing single corner in 2011 Abu Dhabi GP or, hopefully not, we have repeat of 2004 on the cards:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xusar8_button-and-baumgartner-crash-in-belgium-2004_sport

Well, well, well, look at that. It wasn't one-off :) And once again it happened to right rear, exactly the same case as in 2004. Back then Michelin said their tyres weren't to blame, it was sharp kerbs. Sounds familiar, huh :D ? Bizarrely, all 4 punctures happend to 4 different Michelin-shodded cars, while not a single Bridgestone team was affected.

Fast forward to this weekend and Pirelli say their tyres were absolutely safe, but it was "external factor" and evil Ferrari pushing over tyre life. Ah yes, "it's not us".

Race was quite boring, I don't know how anyone can be excited watching this DRS-yawnfest. Wow, he overtook another car in the middle of straight, so cool :/ Not a single battle spread over few laps with overtaking attempts and great defenses, it's either straightforward button pressing or Trulli train :/

Wasn't it 2005 when almost every team pulled out of the USGP because of Michelin? If the tires were that bad and unreliable I'm sure we'd see something different. Both Vettel and Rosberg ran over kerbs seconds before their tires blew.

andshrew

The Perelli tyres are meant to fall off a performance cliff if you use then too much not explode. Given Vetel was still comfortably keeping Grosjean behind he obviously hadn't hit that performance cliff before the failure.

Perelli definitely have questions to answer.

Mastah

I don't. Remember Silverstone when tires were blowing left and right? Turns out teams were not running them outside of the recommended parameters.

From a guy, who worked for FOM:

GTRacer said:
The thing with that is that the tyre swapping was nothing new, I can remember teams doing it back in 1997 & they were doing it on Good Years, Bridgestones & Michelins without any problems at all.

It was the same with the pressures & cambers, Running tyres under-inflated & running high cambers levels was nothing new & the tyres had always coped with it without problems, In fact all of these practices are still done in other categories & there are zero problems.

The teams continued doing these things because it was stuff they expected the pirelli tyres to be able to withstand given how it was all perfectly normal to do them, Its the same with riding kurbs... drivers have been doing it for 20+ years & you would expect the tyre to be able to withstand it.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/199453-vettels-tyre-failure/page-2#entry7279852

It was totally Pirell's fault. Why teams tried to swap tyres? Because they wanted to chase performance/life with shit 2013 tyres. Pirelli got absolutely perfect 2012 product, with only problem being narrow temperature window. Then they decided that's not good enough and trying to "spice up the show" (lol) they introduced tyres, which were already horrific during pre-season testing (few laps and they were gone with insane graining) and even before Silverstone happened, there was something like 10 failures on several different cars.

Teams were doing what were they doing all these years, but in 2013 it was too much for Pirelli.

But hasn't Pirelli just been taking orders from FIA & the teams with regards to how they're making them?

I just feel like they're in a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

Razgreez

Not a single battle spread over few laps with overtaking attempts and great defenses, it's either straightforward button pressing or Trulli train :/

You must have been watching a different race as there were plenty of overtakes which required multiple laps to accomplish

Absolutely.

This is what they were ordered to do...

Yeah... I can't say I really agree with that. Tyres should lose all their performance, absolutely, that's what they were told to do. What they shouldn't do is randomly explode when they're worn out.

I assume we'll never know for sure exactly what happened to Vettel's tyre though.

Lego Boss

Punctures happened all the time back in the day (e.g. Mansell Adelaide), it's a risky sport, players have to deal with it.

Get over it y'all.

People died every other race at one point too. The question is, did the tyre fail because it was damaged, or because it was old. If it was damaged, no problem. If it went because it had done too many laps, that's another story.

If anyone wants context before deciding whether to watch the above video: Justin Wilson was hit in the head by a large piece of bodywork from another car after it crashed. He's now in a coma.

Dilly

Banned
Yeah, there's no way that tire should just explode like that.

Also, Vettel is an ass for not getting out of the raceline with a puncture.

Nyx

MaxGOD

What a race!
You know you are a real racer when you want to overtake someone in the very last lap. Shame he didn't make it but still I thought it was a great move.

Business

Yeah, there's no way that tire should just explode like that.

Also, Vettel is an ass for not getting out of the raceline with a puncture.

So true, it's fine to want to make it to the end and exhaust every chance for points, but ffs get out of the way if you are a sitting duck.

jdw_b

MaxGOD

What a race!
You know you are a real racer when you want to overtake someone in the very last lap. Shame he didn't make it but still I thought it was a great move.

What does this even mean lol

Reading Autosport forums and some comments here about this somehow being Vettel / Ferrari's fault is just mind boggling. The punishment for running the tyre too long should be reduced grip, not an exploding tyre.

and the "he should have stopped attacking the kerbs"...seriously? Kerbs are there to be used, and drivers are going to use them. Trying to place random provisos to tyre usage is ridiculous

Zeknurn

Sources have now revealed that Rosberg and Vettel were not the only drivers to face tyre problems at Spa-Francorchamps, with cuts being found in several other tyres over the weekend after practice sessions.

Had these cuts manifested themselves in the race, then there was a chance that they have could led to bigger problems similar to what Rosberg suffered.

It is understood these were mainly appearing on the rear tyres, although Pirelli could not find what was causing the damage.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pirelli-found-more-tyre-cuts-over-belgian-gp-weekend

jdw_b

What it means?
How many drivers overtake in the last lap? Maybe you see more racing than me, but I can't recall a lot...

They all want to overtake someone on the last lap...well, on any lap really

Whether they get the opportunity or not is a different matter. That doesn't make him any more of a real racer than anyone else on the track

I'm not piling on here, but Max's driving yesterday was pretty reckless at times. Reminded me of Perez at Monaco a few years ago. But he is making races somewhat exciting though...

Nyx

They all want to overtake someone on the last lap...well, on any lap really

Whether they get the opportunity or not is a different matter. That doesn't make him any more of a real racer than anyone else on the track

Maybe it's me, but I haven't seen anyone take risks like Verstappen does in a long time in F1.

Dilly

Banned
Maybe it's me, but I haven't seen anyone take risks like Verstappen does in a long time in F1.

Well sure, he makes ballsy moves out of youthful optimism. But I'm pretty sure every one in professional motorsports is going for an overtake in the last lap.

Nyx

Well sure, he makes ballsy moves out of youthful optimism. But I'm pretty sure every one in professional motorsports is going for an overtake in the last lap.

How many drivers would have thought ''hey I already moved up to 8th position, I'm going to get to the finish line now and not take any risk'' ?

As said, I haven't watched a lot of F1 in the past years but the main reason for that was that it felt superboring to me, with Max in F1 I look forward to every new GP! And I don't even care that he is from the same country as me, if he was f.e. Japanese I would root for him too.

Dilly

Banned
How many drivers would have thought ''hey I already moved up to 8th position, I'm going to get to the finish line now and not take any risk'' ?

None, if they are in the position to overtake? Especially not when they're in a position like Verstappen is where showing yourself on track is all that counts, he doesn't have to worry about point advantages and direct rivals.

Top Bottom