• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Zeknurn

Didn't we think that about Grosjean and Maldonado? To his credit, Grosjean's been a lot better of late, though.

Grosjean settled down. While Perez on the other hand flips between crashing into everything and driving well on a race by race basis.

Aiii

So not worth it
Dumb move, for 2017 looks like there will be a pretty decent shake-up in several teams and a chance to move up.

I get that there's no real way up this year, but to sign for two more at FI? Which is probably only going to bleed money for both of them... Wouldn't have been my choice.

dubc35

Dumb move, for 2017 looks like there will be a pretty decent shake-up in several teams and a chance to move up.

I get that there's no real way up this year, but to sign for two more at FI? Which is probably only going to bleed money for both of them... Wouldn't have been my choice.

My thoughts exactly.

lol ..

Sad that next year is his last. I hope he leaves with a bang
not literally
It would be nice to see him and Massa close out their careers with one more win. I don't hate Raikonnen at all. I've always been impressed with his spatial awareness during overtakes. Seems like his Lotus career was better than his second Ferrari career.

Dilly

Banned
Gary Anderson:
According to Lotus, Pastor Maldonado broke the clutch-control system at Raidillon but there aren't big kerbs there. How is this possible?
Bas van der Wiel, via Twitter

I am sure if you look around enough at Raidillon you would find something that Pastor Maldonado could hit! It might be a long way off the road but it will be there somewhere.

Ark

Grosjean settled down. While Perez on the other hand flips between crashing into everything and driving well on a race by race basis.

Grosjean stepped in to a different class after he had a child in 2013[?]. I really hope he one day gets a chance to prove how quick he really is.

ramparter

Banned

But after so many years I can't see any of the bigger teams go for him. Replace Massa at Williams at best? I think Massa will also stay for 2017.

Fox Mulder

the room at the top is really limited for him as teams always have talented younger developmental drivers of their own waiting. He's never getting to a redbull or merc, maybe back at williams at best really. FI lets him do le mans too, which a bigger team certainly wouldn't.

Zeknurn

Gonchi is available on US Netflix and will soon be available globally.
Trailer: https://vimeo.com/137399674
GONCHI tells the story of a Uruguayan car racer that dreamt about being in F1 and did all that was possible to reach his goal. When he was about to reach his best prize, he died in a car accident at the CART World Series tests in Laguna Seca, US.
This is a story about inspiration and overcoming obstacles. It portrays that nothing is impossible in life if there is dedication and love. A story about a young man that went through many hardships and that raced with the best. He came from a far away country with no tradition in the international automobile racing world.

Mastah

CN4cqJlWgAAJ85d.jpg:orig

https://twitter.com/icemanlongdrink

Eagerly waiting for #blessed Energy Drink.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CN4cqJlWgAAJ85d.jpg:orig [IMG]

[url]https://twitter.com/icemanlongdrink[/url]

Eagerly waiting for #blessed Energy Drink.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://trademark.markify.com/trademarks/ctm/iceman+longdrink+-++incomparable+drunkability+-+gin+%26+dry+-+best+served+damn+cold/014055792[/url]

"ICEMAN LONGDRINK - INCOMPARABLE DRUNKABILITY - Gin & Dry - BEST SERVED DAMN COLD"

Gonchi is available on US Netflix and will soon be available globally.
Trailer: https://vimeo.com/137399674

Thanks for the heads up that this came out. I watched it last night and loved it.

It really took me back to that time in F3000 and CART. It was a really special time for both series. F3000 was THE steppingstone into F1 with tons of testing opportunities which would lead to race seats. It was competitive and prestigious. The number of names from that time that went on to have successful racing careers is pretty extensive. For CART, Montoya kicked off a revolution of F3000 drivers getting really good seats and Gonzalo was the first guy in line. As a fan of both series, this was a really awesome give and take.

I honestly think Gonzalo Rodriguez could have gone on to be a successful and very popular Indy Car driver much in the same way Helio and Kanaan went on to be. Those guys have huge personalities, and Gonzalo's was every bit as big. In fact my lasting memory of him is that he didn't look or act like a race car driver. I think that would have served him well.

I'm really pleased they devoted a fair chunk of time to the HANS device. It was really his accident that launched the HANS device into the mandatory piece of equipment that it is today. It was an accident that demanded answers, perhaps as Justin Wilson's will turn out to be as well.

Anyway, lovely racing doc. Watch it. There are a fair bit translation errors in the subtitles (often people or places), but it's a fairly minor blip.

dubc35

I thought HANS came about from Dale Sr's fatal accident? I'm on my phone now so I'll research it later. I'll check the movie out too, sounds good.

I thought HANS came about from Dale Sr's fatal accident? I'm on my phone now so I'll research it later. I'll check the movie out too, sounds good.

Gonzalo Rodriguez really got the ball rolling a couple of years before where CART was actively investigating solutions. Mika Hakkinen put the term "basilar skull fracture" on the map for me, but it wasn't until somebody died (I'm sure plenty of other people had died previously without the medical fanfare) that the racing world really sat up and took notice.

I can't remember if CART was already planning on putting them on drivers before Dale's death, but they started using them a couple of months later starting with ovals. NASCAR followed the next year, and F1 the year after that.

EDIT: Found a good article

EDIT2: Found a timeline:

1981: Hubbard and Downing begin research and development. Many different design concepts are tested over the next 20 years.
Several of the less-effective concepts discarded by Hubbard and Downing would later be adopted and marketed by other companies.
HANS Device Model 1, 1986

1986: Jim Downing is the first IMSA driver to wear a (comically large) HANS Device.

1988: Paul Newman is the second.

1991: First custom-made HANS Devices are offered for sale at $3000 - $5000 each.
Note that the HANS Device had already undergone 10 years of R & D before being brought to market.

1995: After Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna both lose their lives at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix in Italy, the FIA asks Mercedes-Benz to help develop enhanced driver safety systems. M-B focuses on adapting airbags to F1 cars.

1997: Original HANS Device out-performs airbags in M-B tests.

1999: Second-generation HANS Device, developed in collaboration with M-B engineers, actually fits in an F1 car.
Gonzalo Rodriguez, Greg Moore, Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin, and Tony Roper all lose their lives in racing crashes due to BSF injuries.

2000: CART announces HANS Devices will be required for all oval track races in 2001. Early HANS Device for CART, circa 1999

2001: After 20 years, Hubbard/Downing posts their first profit. Until now, all proceeds have gone back into R & D.
Dale Earnhardt loses his life after an estimated 50 g crash at Daytona results in BSF. The change in velocity was only 43 mph.

2002: FIA standard 8858 for FHR (Frontal Head Restraints) written. NASCAR mandates the use of FHR devices.
Richie Hearn, wearing a HANS Device, survives a 139 g crash at Kentucky. Change in velocity 120 mph. He limps away with only a broken foot.

2003: FIA requires FIA 8858-approved FHR devices for all F1 drivers.

2004: SFI standard 38.1 written. Many competing products fail the SFI tests.

2005: NASCAR specifically mandates the use of HANS Devices despite SFI rating on some other devices.

2009: 100,000th HANS Device sold.

2012: SCCA requires an FIA 8858 or SFI 38.1 frontal head restraint for all drivers in wheel-to-wheel auto racing events.

2013: Crashes on Memorial Day Weekend bring the total number of driver deaths since 2001 to 171. The majority of these fatalities are now at amateur and semi-pro events.
Ferrari F1 driver Felipe Massa walks away from two heavy crashes at Monaco. Graham Rahal and Dario Franchitti each hit the wall at the Indy 500 but escape without serious injury.

2014: Bittersweet milestones: The 20th anniversary of Ayrton Senna's death also marks 20 years without a driver fatality at an F1 race, while Dale Earnhardt's death remains the last driver fatality in any of the three major NASCAR series.

FStop7

Banned

HANS was around but it took the deaths of Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin Jr., Blaise Alexander, Tony Roper, and Dale Sr. before it became mandatory.

Edit - WOW, Nascar didn't even make HANS mandatory for another 4 years after Earnhardt's death... ffs.

IIRC Earnhardt wore an open faced helmet, too.

jambo

HANS was around but it took the deaths of Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin Jr., Blaise Alexander, Tony Roper, and Dale Sr. before it became mandatory.

Edit - WOW, Nascar didn't even make HANS mandatory for another 4 years after Earnhardt's death... ffs.

The week after Earnhardt's death, Mark Martin said at Rockingham, "I would not wear one for anything. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and take my chances".

=\

Zeknurn

@f1enigma: Gazzetta dello Sport > Massa signed 1y deal with Williams. Announcement imminent #F1
@f1enigma: Leo Turruni > James Allison extended with Ferrari until 2018 #F1
@f1enigma: Sources suggest that Malaysia COULD swap with AbuDhabi to host the finale. Talks believed to be scheduled with FOM
http://t.co/wHa2Mv14iR

Allison avoids the chopping block for another year.

Mastah

Massa and Bottas confirmed at Williams.

BUT:

Sky F1 Insider ‏@SkyF1Insider 3m3 minutes ago

Hold the phone ! Lewis Hamilton has turned up to the Italian GP with BLONDE hair. Oh yes!

What the WHAT?

Mastah

Full Villeneuve 2.0 transformation is now complete.

Rachel Brookes ‏@RachelBrookesTV 13s13 seconds ago

More engine changes for Mclaren - 10 place penalty for @alo_oficial and 5 for @JensonButton #skyf1 #ssnhq

More engine changes? LOL.

NOKYARD

He was also known to loosen his seat belts during the race because they became uncomfortable.

Mastah

Hulk about closed cockpits - "nope, thank you":

"There are pros and cons, but I see single seater racing as open cockpits.

"When we sign up we know there is still some risk involved and there could potentially be some danger but that is in the DNA of racing in motorsport.

"We shouldn't sterilise the whole thing, make everything too clinical and overprotect the whole thing.

"That's also not good for the sport and might make things a bit more unattractive."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120598

Top Bottom