• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Mastah

They should axe races in Germany and Italy, because they are already struggling financially, and voila, summer break would remain as it is, while season would still end in November.

Red bull are toxic, after seeing how they have bitched and whined for years not to mention repeatedly slagging off Renault and trying to throw them under the bus my response to that phone call asking for engines would be a simple 'fuck off'.
They bitched about Renault even when they were winning cause of the difference in horsepower which barely even mattered for 90% of the tracks baring stuff like Monza, Canada and Spa. Toto should just give them an engine with 5 cylinders working and call it a day.

itsgreen

Does this season have the most grid penalties over the last 15 years? I'm curious.

Definitely, by miles...

Mostly because these penalties never really existed before.

How does 25 grid places work? X places in this race then make up the rest next race?

Nope. There are moved X places back, and than the field is brougt together again.... so if you got a million grid places penalty, you still start 20th... and that is it...

Definitely, by miles...

Mostly because these penalties never really existed before.

Nope. There are moved X places back, and than the field is brougt together again.... so if you got a million grid places penalty, you still start 20th... and that is it...
Lol then does this season have more grid penalties than the last 15 years combined? Cause Spa or whenever Mclaren got like 50 grid penalties must do something to the stats. Granted the penalty rules are pretty stupid.

The Power of Dreams

CODyv7VW8AADKH7.jpg

The way I see it is that Honda are one second ahead of Ferrari and Renault engines.

Speaking of slow Vettel, he already gave up on the race.

"However, with Mercedes still holding a clear advantage, the German admits it would be a surprise if they didn't grab the front row of the Monza grid.

"It's obviously difficult to say what people are doing on Friday but they are very strong," he said. "They do look very, very quick.
"No surprise I would say and if they are not in front tomorrow then that would be a surprise.
"But we like surprises, so we'll do our utmost to turn things around."
"

e: The FIA bans changing the helmet design. Vettel does it anyway. In a sneaky way.

5neEdGE.jpg

Vettel, you sly bastard.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lewis had some issues with his brakes, but apparently nothing serious - I think they were testing something related to the brakes.

B-but Arai said...

That was the western media besmirching Arai's good name by making stuff up:

http://as-web.jp/news/info.php?c_id=1&no=67414

- At the point of the beginning of summer break period shortly after Hungary, it has been decided that introducing the upgrade using all 7 tokens for Spa had to be abandoned / given up.

- Arai at Spa (on Thursday) looked somber/downbeat (due to upgrade being not major one as planned) (info in articles: impression by the writer)

- At Hungaroring, the amount of harvested energy exceeded the amount of release/usage so there was no need to worry about deployment management, but at Spa there should be shortage no matter how we calculate, which itself must be same for not just Honda but also for other makers.

- We managed to make and achieve good deployment for Hungaroring. But there's still such big gap between us and the top team. I think that Mercedes was running on Quali mode for almost entire part of latter stage of the race. They were not only pushing hard but also must have been on different mode. Otherwise such astonishing pace cannot be explained. They have big spare room / hidden power to enable such thing.

- many things happened and due to circumstance it turned out we could only use 3 tokens after all, so no massive update and we cannot expect much on performance here

- changes made to; combustion chamber, air intake (plenum), exhaust layout, cooling

- Aim is to alter combustion concept/characteristics and pursue more effective combustion in order to increase the output, we only made some changes to relevant parts here and there, so the change is not that drastic yet. Combustion chamber is the set of components like engine head, block and pistons, so one alteration comes with so many things to be checked/verified, which takes a lot of time. If possible, we would have liked to introduce all 7 tokens here at Spa, but there are many things left unchecked yet, so we decided to put in 3 tokens. There were reports of "exceeding Ferrari", but it's impossible to expect it here. We are considering one more push somewhere in the second half of the season.

- output level-wise, we could confirm from torque sensor that the figure seen on track is matching the figure on dynamometer

- In terms of output, our PU is certainly more powerful than Renault's. Some articles wrote "output hasn't increased despite upgrade", but that's not the case. We have output power, but are unable to connect/turn the output to lap time, to make the car go faster. In terms of competition where it's about fast or slow, it's true that we are disappointing our fans, but the issue is separate from combustion concept that's been upgraded this time.

- We are not able to use the power effectively to make the car run fast. The issue is total amount of energy available, it could be for example that regeneration at MGU-H not enough as one thing, and energy deployment management being insufficient as another. Spa is the track where it's extremely difficult for PU to get energy recovery&deployment right as you gain a lot of lap time at uphill parts here.

- Monza has even higher rate of full throttle than Spa, so we reckon we should not expect much there. Absolute output power alone does not make lap time, so considering today's situation (race), we're prepared that it will be severe. In terms of recovery energy, it will be even tougher at Monza than here at Spa.

- Regarding how to use remaining tokens, we think we have to make final decision by Italian GP, but we are in the middle of pondering strategy for Suzuka.

- Basically we would like to make our PU more competitive by improving ICE and increasing the engine power further. It would be nice if we could provide positive topics for Suzuka, but at this very moment we cannot say anything for certain yet.

Magnussen says it's likely the driver lineup will remain the same at McLaren next season.

FuturusX

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/04/lewis-hamilton-f1-italian-grand-prix-monza

Hamilton said: “I never really notice them, when I go past them. I can’t tell the difference, whether it’s Fernando [Alonso] or Jenson. It doesn’t look like a McLaren. For me, a McLaren is always red and white, or the silver car I drove.

“Now it is greyish, completely grey, and it feels very weird when you look at the board and see this team fighting with Marussia [Manor]. Marussia are relatively close and run on hardly any budget. It doesn’t make sense and I cannot believe that that team has got to that point.” There was no condescension in his voice, only sorrow.

One of the best team changes in recent memory. Perfect timing and well judged.
And to think people were saying not to leave McLaren because McLaren would be able to guarantee him a championship, now they can't even guarantee a podium with Kmag's introductory podium being the last one since he left if I'm not mistaken.

yami4ct

I'm not the biggest fan of Lewis as a driver, but I appreciate that he just does whatever the hell he wants in terms of his personal life/style. Just keep doing whatever makes you happy Lewis!

His new hair looks super dumb, but it's also hilarious. Hope he keeps it for a while.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lewis as a driver, but I appreciate that he just does whatever the hell he wants in terms of his personal life/style. Just keep doing whatever makes you happy Lewis!

His new hair looks super dumb, but it's also hilarious. Hope he keeps it for a while.
Lewis says hell switch it back next race weekend, thank fuck.

Ive rewatched some of Lewis' drives from 08. The exceptional driving talent was very apparent but his racecraft was piss poor. He would be leading a race by 25+ seconds and Mclaren would have to get on the radio and tell him to slow it down and take it easier on the car because the gap hed created was sufficient.
Hes more mature about that aspect of driving now, car sympathy and race management.

But what I really want is a technical breakdown of what he did to improve his qualifying performance this year because last year in Q3 he constantly was overdoing it in the braking zones..massive lockups constantly and getting soundly beaten by Nico.

Whats changed this year?

dalin80

Banned
Ive rewatched some of Lewis' drives from 08. The exceptional driving talent was very apparent but his racecraft was piss poor. He would be leading a race by 25+ seconds and Mclaren would have to get on the radio and tell him to slow it down and take it easier on the car because the gap hed created was sufficient.
Hes more mature about that aspect of driving now, car sympathy and race management.

Something we now see in every race when he is leading, he will build up the gap to between 5 and 10s and then drop back to hold the 2nd place car around 2/2.5s down. You will normally hear the commentators squee with glee over how tight the racing is and how the gap is shrinking and an imminent battle... etc...etc. But each and every time it's deliberate, he just holds that 2nd place car in the dirty air and makes their tyres and aero suffer for it. He has always had immense pace and a feel for the car but now with good experience, a second WDC under the belt and free from women woes the overall race craft has really stepped up. Still the odd hot-head mistake but that will always be in his character.

Hope he visits the WEC scene in a few years.

I really like how Mercedes could've used their old engine for this race, but decided to use their new engine and perhaps more unreliable engine, because they wanted a challenge.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I really like how Mercedes could've used their old engine for this race, but decided to use their new engine and perhaps more unreliable engine, because they wanted a challenge.

I think that PU #2 was nearing the end of its life, they had some issues at Spa, so they had to tuned down the engine during the race

I think that PU #2 was nearing the end of its life, they had some issues at Spa, so they had to tuned down the engine during the race

On Sky they said the old engine was fine for this race, that's what I based my statement on. Apparently Toto said it it was riskier to use the new engine instead of the old one, because it has more R&D stuff going on(?). Sorry, if it was incorrect.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
On Sky they said the old engine was fine for this race, that's what I based my statement on. Apparently Toto said it it was riskier to use the new engine instead of the old one, because it has more R&D stuff going on(?). Sorry, if it was incorrect.

They decided that they will use PU #3 with all the remaining token upgrades. With their advantage at engine front, they can play riskier game.

They decided that they will use PU #3 with all the remaining token upgrades. With their advantage at engine front, they can play riskier game.

That makes sense, thank you.

And to bring some old news in here, the situation at McLaren is looking worse and worse.

Apparently Santander and Johnny Walker could walk away from the team next season.

" The Daily Telegraph understands that both Johnnie Walker, the whisky brand, and Santander, the banking group, are likely to walk away from McLaren with the team languishing ninth in the constructors’ championship.

Johnnie Walker have been with McLaren for a decade, bringing £15 million a season. Their expected departure will be all the more galling for Ron Dennis, the McLaren chairman, given they offered at the end of 2013 to become the team’s title sponsor in a £43 million-a-year deal.

Dennis turned it down because he believed the offer was too small. A Johnnie Walker spokesman said on Friday night they are in “ongoing conversations” with McLaren but refused to comment on “speculation”. Santander’s £5 million yearly sponsorship is also set to end.
"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mo...set-to-lose-20m-in-sponsorship-next-year.html

Mastah

So brand new engine in Ricciardo's car is dead. Good job Renault, that's the second time it has happened this year.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I can see Horner crying on the phone, calling Bernie to stop this madness and force Mercedes to give them engines.

Ark

Lewis says hell switch it back next race weekend, thank fuck.

But what I really want is a technical breakdown of what he did to improve his qualifying performance this year because last year in Q3 he constantly was overdoing it in the braking zones..massive lockups constantly and getting soundly beaten by Nico.

Whats changed this year?

He's fully confident now.

That's right. He had a left ear, a right ear, and a final front ear.

This went under appreciated. Bravo :)

dalin80

Banned
But fuck Red Bull for complaining about Renault.

Yep, Renault gave them the power plant for 4 in a row world championships, an engine that Horner did nothing but bitch about as it was a tiny bit down on peak power, never heard him compliment Renault on making an engine which was smaller, lighter, had better fuel economy, better lower down torque and ideal mappings for exhaust blown diffusers all we got was bitching. Then one of their key partners struggles during an era of massive rules changes and immediately we get Red Bull throwing all their toys out of the pram and does everything they can to drag Renault through the mud.

So yes, fuck them.

spuckthew

I'm the opposite (sort of). I'm a big fan of Lewis Hamilton the driver, but I'm thoroughly apathetic towards his personal life. I've enjoyed watching him race since his pre-F1 career.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yep, Renault gave them the power plant for 4 in a row world championships, an engine that Horner did nothing but bitch about as it was a tiny bit down on peak power, never heard him compliment Renault on making an engine which was smaller, lighter, had better fuel economy, better lower down torque and ideal mappings for exhaust blown diffusers all we got was bitching. Then one of their key partners struggles during an era of massive rules changes and immediately we get Red Bull throwing all their toys out of the pram and does everything they can to drag Renault through the mud.

So yes, fuck them.

They're not boyfriend and girlfriend. Red Bull is paying Renault money to provide them an engine.

Right now, Red Bull waste hundreds of millions of dollars on a wasted GP season thanks to Renault. But yeah, they should be oh so grateful to Renault for their amazing service.

I'm sorry, but this is a B2B relationship and there is no emotion to be had there.

Jibbed

Lewis is in his prime right now, he's almost untouchable. All the little racecraft niggles have neen ironed out, he's hugely confident in his own ability, and for the first time since '08 it seems like he's comfortable in his own skin.

I would be very surprised if he didn't wrap the title up this year, and fairly soon.

Upinsmoke

Fuck Red Bull, seriously and fuck Horner.

They dominated the sport for half a decade whilst no other manufacturer could suss out how to get closer to them. They have 18 months of difficulties and they throw there toys out of the pram.

Make your own engines then. It's never there fault, they always pin the blame on Renault, and when they won it was the driving of vettel and the craft and designer brain of newey. There very quick to praise themselves and take all the plaudits but when it's the other way round there is no accountability.

Mastah

MERCEDES AMG F1 ‏@MercedesAMGF1 3m3 minutes ago

Un-diagnosed engine problem for @nico_rosberg in #FP3 means we're reverting back to the Spa race Power Unit on his #F1 W06 Hybrid for #Quali

Top Bottom