• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Zeknurn

Mercedes caught cheating again, tsk! They definitely need disqualifying, how many times is that now? The secret test, swapped rear tyres, breaching tyre pressures.

Absolutely disgusting, not even Red Bull cheated this bad.

F1 wouldn't be around with a big brand as Mercedes pumping money into it. They can do whatever they like without getting punished.

duckroll

DQ seems overly harsh, but I don't see another way where the team is actually penalized here. What are the options? Rosberg will probably get hit with a grid penalty next race, which would really suck for him.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I don't think they cheated just to go through this drama at the end of the race.

At most, they fucked it up accidentally. Human errors happen. Might be, for instance, a badly calibrated instrument.

dakun

So the best driver on the grid pulling a second out of his arse is now "fooling everyone"? :lol

i don't know if i couldn't explain myself to you properly..

imo they tried to fool everyone by pulling out a 25 second gap to avoid losing a position if a penalty comes.. regardless of Lewis's performance, trying to cheat your way out of a meaningful penalty is not very sportsman like.. but then again neither is cheating to begin with..

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Also, tyres are inflated to 21 or 22 PSI. So 0.3 PSI difference would bring half a second advantage.

GHG

Gold Member
I didn't say they were liked, I'm just pointing out the obvious. Ham is an utter bellend.

This isn't a popularity contest.

Hamilton is the best driver out there at the moment and is proving it race after race. The man has been dominant for well over 12 months now.

ElTorro

lol @ Vettel's face when the interview asks Lewis about the tyre pressure issue. Looks like he heard about it the first time there.

Imagine if that team is Ferrari :D

The press release mentioned that Ferrari's tyre pressures were ok.

With regard to the pressure being checked under Pirrelli's supervision... that's largely meaningless. Nothing stopping Mercedes changing the temperature of the tyres / air going in so that they'd have been lower by the time the cars made it to the track.

dakun

F1 wouldn't be around with a big brand as Mercedes pumping money into it. They can do whatever they like without getting punished.

History proves you wrong.. the biggest brands got heavy penalties for cheating. And they will again if necessary.

NHale

DQ seems overly harsh, but I don't see another way where the team is actually penalized here. What are the options? Rosberg will probably get hit with a grid penalty next race, which would really suck for him.

Nico is on the official results so he "finished" the race 3 laps behind the leader. So he would still get a penalty applied to this race I believe.

FIA is such a joke. It appears they only checked the Ferrari and Mercedes cars (which doesn't seem random and would give Mercedes some room to contest the test...)

Mastah

Oh yes, another Pirelli drama. Problems which are non-existent with proper racing tyres, show up with Pirelli. I guess that's what Bernie wants, show and entertainment. I'm so excited, I can't wait for stewards decision :/

i don't know if i couldn't explain myself to you properly..

imo they tried to fool everyone by pulling out a 25 second gap to avoid losing a position if a penalty comes.. regardless of Lewis's performance, trying to cheat your way out of a meaningful penalty is not very sportsman like.. but then again neither is cheating to begin with..

You're making it sound like they pulled the gap in the last 5 laps, though. Shifting that burden (getting 25s+) onto a driver with immense championship and race pressure and him delivering isn't trying to fool anyone - that clear by the .040 "safety" gap he has at the end of the race.

It's F1, every setting has tradeoffs and if they're fast enough to get over an inevitable penalty then so be it. There's plenty of ridiculous penalties in F1, this will just be another one even if it isn't as effective as you want it to be.

Cuddler

I don't understand why they didn't just say what was the problem to Hamilton instead of talking to him like it was a super secret.

Mastah

Daniel Johnson ‏@danielt_johnson 31s31 seconds ago Milan, Lombardy

Ha, Seb on Monza: "If we take this away from the calendar for any shitty money reasons, then you are basically ripping our hearts out"

Damn right Seb!

FuturusX

Toto in rare form...

Mercedes' boss Toto Wolff has been asked by BBCF1's Tom Clarkson if they went below the minimum tyre pressure.

Wolff says: "No because we measure them with Pirelli. At the moment we have no detail what is going on."

Told by Tom that the left rear was supposedly 0.3psi below the limit, Wolff adds: Says who?"

I don't understand why they didn't just say what was the problem to Hamilton instead of talking to him like it was a super secret.

Because then they'd acknowledge the penalty, which they haven't done so far. Patty and Lauda both claimed everything was fine and there were no issues.

duckroll

My thoughts on the matter is that there is no "cheating" going on. If this is entirely an issue of a rule technicality, then sure, give them the 25 sec penalty, if he was fast enough to subvert that, so be it. No big deal, everyone continues on. If it is an issue of -safety- though, then it has to be a strong penalty that is meaningful. The ball's in the stewards' court now. They are fully aware of the circumstances and they are better informed about the nature of the rule breach than any of us. If it is determined that it was a safety breach and the team is DQ'ed, that is a fair judgement. If it's not a safety breach, then honestly... whatever.

NHale

Massa wins?

You're making it sound like they pulled the gap in the last 5 laps, though. Shifting that burden (getting 25s+) onto a driver with immense championship and race pressure and him delivering isn't trying to fool anyone - that clear by the .040 "safety" gap he has at the end of the race.

It's F1, every setting has tradeoffs and if they're fast enough to get over an inevitable penalty then so be it. There's plenty of ridiculous penalties in F1, this will just be another one even if it isn't as effective as you want it to be.

I didn't see anyone blaming Lewis for this. In fact he and Nico don't have any blame on this stuff however they drive for the team that did this, so unfortunately they would pay the price for any penalty. The same reason they reap the rewards of driving a Mercedes as well.

And settings having tradeoffs is completely irrelevant. If FIA demands a tyre pressure to have a minimum pressure, you have to comply. As simple as that. Unless you believe the rules are mere guidelines and anyone can develop a car as they wish. Traction control, active suspension, flexible wings...

Goldrusher

It's apparently Ferrari.

Ferrari was fine.

COOTQCqWcAAwaj3.jpg:orig

4 cars were checked.

05 = Vettel --> above the minimum
06 = Raikkonen --> above the minimum

44 = Hamilton --> 0.3 PSI too low
06 = Rosberg --> 1.1 PSI too low

McNum

And that's the problem here. Any other team would actually be hurt by a time penalty, but Mercedes are so strong that any penalty that leaves the car race-legal will be meaningless. The system simply isn't set up to handle this.

They should consider a 25s or -3 positions, whichever hurts more. That would mean that it would hurt any team, no matter how fast they are.

Of course, if this turns out to be Pirelli's fault, well, it should affect the current contract bidding. Michelin for F1 would at least be interesting to see.

yami4ct

My thoughts on the matter is that there is no "cheating" going on. If this is entirely an issue of a rule technicality, then sure, give them the 25 sec penalty, if he was fast enough to subvert that, so be it. No big deal, everyone continues on. If it is an issue of -safety- though, then it has to be a strong penalty that is meaningful. The ball's in the stewards' court now. They are fully aware of the circumstances and they are better informed about the nature of the rule breach than any of us. If it is determined that it was a safety breach and the team is DQ'ed, that is a fair judgement. If it's not a safety breach, then honestly... whatever.

Exactly my feelings. If this is a penalty that exists for performance and unfair advantage reasons, give them a slap on the wrist and let them go. If this is a safety issue, all the teams affected need penalties that are actually meaningful. A 25 sec penalty for a car that didn't finished and one that will still win won't cut it.

dalin80

Banned
Also, tyres are inflated to 21 or 22 PSI. So 0.3 PSI difference would bring half a second advantage.

One tyre being under inflated by 0.3psi would make around 0.0000fuckall of a difference.

With the tyres in question being the same corner it looks like a gauge or sensor issue to me.

ElTorro

Williams guy expects a disqualification. Of course, it would benefit his team...

Top Bottom