• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

NHale

My thoughts on the matter is that there is no "cheating" going on. If this is entirely an issue of a rule technicality, then sure, give them the 25 sec penalty, if he was fast enough to subvert that, so be it. No big deal, everyone continues on. If it is an issue of -safety- though, then it has to be a strong penalty that is meaningful. The ball's in the stewards' court now. They are fully aware of the circumstances and they are better informed about the nature of the rule breach than any of us. If it is determined that it was a safety breach and the team is DQ'ed, that is a fair judgement. If it's not a safety breach, then honestly... whatever.

If your car finishes the race under the minimum weight you will be automatically DQ'd. Not entirely for safety reasons but for creating a equal performance basis for everyone.

This is actually for safety reasons after what happened in Spa.

One tyre being under inflated by 0.3psi would make around 0.0000fuckall of a difference.

With the tyres in question being the same corner it looks like a gauge or sensor issue to me.

They only test 1 tyre in each car.

ninjabat

I don't know much about cars. So can someone please explain why there is a 25 second gap between Vettel and Hamilton? Why does the car have such a huge advantage? Because I know both these guys are good drivers, so the gap should not be that big.

Ce-Lin

penalty has to be meaningful, it's ridiculous to "punish" a car capable of finishing 50+ secs ahead had the team wanted to (Hamilton was cruising) but just to end in the same position the car finished, why bother investigating then, this sport is becoming the most boring thing ever to watch in TV, put a random guy in a Mercedes -> start engine -> win race, Awesome !

I don't know much about cars. So can someone please explain why there is a 25 second gap between Vettel and Hamilton? Why does the car have such a huge advantage? Because I know both these guys are good drivers, so the gap should not be that big.

it would be 50+ seconds if Mercedes pushed the car to its actual limit, so yeah, the Mercedes is an on-rails rocket, there's nothing you can do with different machinery.

Well one team was apparently cheating ;)

I didn't see anyone blaming Lewis for this. In fact he and Nico don't have any blame on this stuff however they drive for the team that did this, so unfortunately they would pay the price for any penalty. The same reason they reap the rewards of driving a Mercedes as well.

I'm not saying they are, because that would be foolish. The covering up though can only be done be carried out by the driver - Lewis drive faster - 1s pulled out.

And settings having tradeoffs is completely irrelevant. If FIA demands a tyre pressure to have a minimum pressure, you have to comply. As simple as that. Unless you believe the rules are mere guidelines and anyone can develop a car as they wish. Traction control, active suspension, flexible wings...
Is it? Cheating here is implying performance gain somewhere (which will have an effect elsewhere).

Cuddler

I think that they cannot tell driver if they are under investigation with new radio rules
Are you sure about that? Can be but doesn't make much sense imo.
Because then they'd acknowledge the penalty, which they haven't done so far. Patty and Lauda both claimed everything was fine and there were no issues.
If there were not issues why ask Hamilton to gain more gap? They could just tell to him to push because there were a possibility of a penalty, I don't see it as something that difficult to say, unless of course it was against the new rules. Anyway, I don't think they have done this on purpose, Mercedes could probably win every race not even running as fast as they can, like they probably already do to be honest, lol.

Hard to penalise them in this race without this benefiting Rosberg. So it's either going to be a fine or a grid penalty, which would slightly benefit Hamilton if it's the latter. So probably a fine.

dalin80

Banned
If a Pirelli engineer did monitor and sign off on the pressures then to me diddums quite frankly, merc did their due diligence. It would be up to the FIA and pirelli to sort out a system that works between them.

mclem

They didn't even test every single car? Is this for real?
They just mentioned that on Sky; apparently the test happens while the cars are on the grid with the blankets off, which is a small enough window that they only have time to test the first two rows.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
If a Pirelli engineer did monitor and sign off on the pressures then to me diddums quite frankly, merc did their due diligence. It would be up to the FIA and pirelli to sort out a system that works between them.

Well, they have a hearing at stewards in 5 minutes, so Mercedes will probably throw Pirelli guys under the bus

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I don't really see an advantage for underinflating the tires, so it's probably more an error/oversight somewhere rather than blatant cheating.

Probably still a DQ for a regulation breach anyway.

Because Rosberg didn't finish, so no lost points for him. Whereas Hamilton could lose points, which isn't fair if both of their cars breached the rules.

I'm not sure if I get that logic. But it doesn't matter penalities aren't supposed to be fair in that regard. If the team did something DSQ worthy than they should get that penalty and it doesn't matter that Rosberg had an engine failure in the race.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really see an advantage for underinflating the tires, so it's probably more an error/oversight somewhere rather than blatant cheating.

Probably still a DQ for a regulation breach anyway.

You get more grip at the expense of top speed and durability. FIA began to enforce minimum pressure more strictly after Silverstone 2013.

Any DQs would be interesting to challenge. Only the front 2 rows get check because, screw it, it's too much effort and who cares about the safety of the other 16 cars? Improving positions of cars that were not checked sounds like the sort of thing you could base an appeal on.

Hell, I didn't even know the tyre pressures were a regulation. They were guidelines as of last race, with Pirelli basically asking the teams to pretty please follow recommendations. They only worded it that way because they don't bother to test all the cars, so, hey, honor system? Hah. Offhandedly I can't find anything in the regulations (sporting or technical) that mentions tyre pressures.

This will be fun to see play out. If it's part of the regulations as a hard set-in-stone policy to obey the given tyre parameters I guess there's really no defense against that.

Mercedes tyre inflater caught in the act:

nc3a9vtelen.jpg

Top Bottom