• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes won't take risks and will use 4th engine in Rosberg car, engine #3 is undamaged (one that was replaced in Monza) and they will test it on free practice.

Mastah

Old and new Sauber nose:

CPF97rrVAAAxarl.jpg:orig

TCRS

Banned
fucking hell Mercedes is on such a high on every aspect of their business it's crazy. Motorsport (Formula 1), cars (S Class coupe, C Class coupe HNNNNNGGGG), trucks (driverless stuff). they're getting everything right. but I guess that's the aspiration you should have as the inventor of the automobile.

Mastah

Kimi and his bad luck:

"I was still on the anti-stall and the reason why...for sure I did all correct, but the finger might have been for whatever reason on the second paddle in a bit wrong position for no apparent reason," said Raikkonen in Singapore.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/raikkonen-accepts-poor-monza-start-was-his-fault/

Yeah, for no apparent reason...

It's such a shame he was retained by Ferrari. Spinning two years in a row in Canada - "technical problem" eventhough both Alonso and Vettel managed "mad throttle" (as Arrivabene described it) just fine. Losing the car like a tool in Austra - "Alonso surely touched him and caused it, there's no way world class driver (lol) like Kimi would manage to bin it on his own" - no technical fault was found. Being overtaken at the start at Spa by both Manors and McLarens - no one cared when he was at the back, I guess. Pulling off the start at Monza even Webber would be envy of - "no way Kimi made a mistake, there has to be a problem, poor him, such bad luck" - as it turns out he caused it by himself.

It's a joke he's basically Ferrari mascot right now, bringing money with his popularity.

Zeknurn

the only reason it was free around the world in the first place is because its new and shit, once (if) it ever gets good and/or popular you can kiss goodbye to free-to-air

At least we're getting another season of ITV showing every race live. They did a pretty good job with the first season.

@itvmotorsport: BREAKING: We will continue to show every @FIAformulaE race in season two LIVE! http://t.co/LdGDv4B33W

At least we're getting another season of ITV showing every race live. They did a pretty good job with the first season.
That's good news, they did a surprisingly decent job of their coverage (with the exception of the London races in which they fell down the same hole the BBC have been sliding down for the last year or so in only talking in increasingly strained superlatives).

dubc35

Great Britain's Jenson Button says he will quit Formula 1 altogether if he does not stay at McLaren-Honda in 2016.

"If I'm in F1, it will be with this team," he said. "I have had some tough times here but I have a lot of respect for them and for Honda. This is the team for the future."

Seems like the correct decision to me. At the same time he's not going to win WDC next year, and no team in a place to do so would hire him. Maybe it's time to move to sports cars or rallying?

Aiii

So not worth it
God I hope Button makes room for Stoffel Vandoorne. It's time to make room, old man
(poor guy is only 3 years older than I am)

Zeknurn

TJ13: Could Renault be about to buy Red Bull Racing?

Yet TJ13 has learned there is a strong feeling amongst senior Red Bull personnel that the team will in fact still be using a Renault F1 power unit in 2016 and today in Singapore, Christian Horner was careful with his words.

“Before discussing any other engine scenario it’s important for us to understand what Renault’s plans are for 2016. They seem to be formulating.

“We will be sitting down with Renault to discuss that before committing or having anything else to talk about publicly.

“So for us, first of all, let’s focus on understanding what the Renault situation is, and then we can really address what our options are for the future.

If Ghosn is to be believed, Renault have made their position crystal clear. No more customer supply of power units. They will either buy a team or leave F1.

So however bizarre – there is a solution that would see Red Bull running a Renault power unit in 2016 – were the French company to buy the Milton Keynes team, together with their historic payment privileges.

Renault buying RBR would solve a lot of problems for everyone. Total and Infiniti sponsorships retained, Renault gets a team with special privileges and Mateschitz gets out, Everyone wins?
Except Lotus

Kyougar

Renault buying RBR would solve a lot of problems for everyone. Total and Infiniti sponsorships retained, Renault gets a team with special privileges and Mateschitz gets out, Everyone wins?
Except Lotus

what is more likely 5 years into the future? In regards to still being in Formula 1

as

Red Bull Renault
or Red Bull Racing with another engine Manufacturer?

Red Bull as a Renault Factory team has to many unknowns. Renault could decide to get out of Formula 1 again. That would probably be the end of a High-Spending Red Bull Team. If they didnt fight for championships in the 5 years as a factory team, they would be left dry and would probably be a midfield team after Renault pulls out.

Would the Junior Program survive? Even in the first or second year after Renault buys RBR? The Junior Program wasnt the Baby of the Red bull Racing Team, its Dr. Markos Baby. I think it would be the first on the chopping block. And even if it isnt part of the buyout because its Dr. markos Baby, they could just ignore the Juniors. And the Red bull Junior Program would be less prestigious for the young drivers because the door to Formula 1 is closed.

What happens to STR?

So what about the chances of RBR still being in Formula 1 after 5 years with a Ferrari mercedes or honda Engine?
Either they fight for Top3 or they scale heavily back with the budget. I see them bowing out of Formula 1 when they are constantly only Number 4 or 5 in the manufacturer Ranking.

But still, Renault not caring enough for more than 5 years and bowing out is more likely than RBR by themself.

Fox Mulder

Except Lotus

i'd hate that.

redbull gets hate, but they spend money and are a good exciting owner for the sport along with their driver program. Renault's shit engines got worse this year and who knows how long they stick with owning a team again, leaving Lotus or Redbull fucked.

yami4ct

Renault buying Lotus is way more exciting to me than Red Bull, honestly. I think it's because I think RBR would be competitive just by having a decent engine. They don't really need to be a works team. A Renault Lotus is a really interesting curveball I'd like to see thrown into the mix.

Zeknurn

Oh right, the European season is over which means we're back to odd times for all the sessions.

FP1 is coming up in two hours.

Except the performance issues, yes? What are the chances their 2016 engine will be markedly better than this year's (in both reliability *and* performance)?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make the prediction that no team will be able to compete with Mercedes next year so it doesn't matter if Red Bull has Renault or Ferrari power units. 2016 is a write off.

They will be looking at 2017 and hoping that the current sets of rules and regulations will be thrown out, allowing for a more competitive field.

hadareud

The Translator
If Red Bull are ready to sell up after a difficult year or two then good riddance to the wankers.

I won't miss their incessant moaning, their feeling of entitlement or their complete lack of humility or class. They can flaunt their wad at another sport and preferably also fuck off out of football.

Maybe some hilarious idea like extreme chess or naturalist paragliding would be a better fit.

Mohonky

If Red Bull are ready to sell up after a difficult year or two then good riddance to the wankers.

I won't miss their incessant moaning, their feeling of entitlement or their complete lack of humility or class. They can flaunt their wad at another sport and preferably also fuck off out of football.

Maybe some hilarious idea like extreme chess or naturalist paragliding would be a better fit.

They may not have a choice, they've backed themselves into a position where Renault are sick of them constantly talking shit about them so they no longer want to be an engine provider.

Redbulls plan was to get rid of Renault and get a Merc or Ferrari unit and I would say they were hedging their bet that the FIA would force either of them to supply engines whether they wanted to or not. Merc already told them to take a hike and now they have to rely on Ferrari. If Ferrari says no, only Honda is left, a proposition even worse than Renault, so they definitely don't want to go there and they'd be better to stick with Renault, but after all the shit talk, Renault have been so soured over the whole ordeal they don't want anything to do with them either.

Personally, I wouldn't supply Redbull either. They never said jackshit about Renault when they were winning, never heard a peep about them despite the fact Renault powered them to 4 WDC and WCC. Then the second they aren't winning we've been hearing about nothing but Renault. To be fair, the Renault engine hasn't been terrible reliable or as powerful as the Merc or Ferrari units but Renault have always had to work around a really compact Newey chasis so they've had to make a square peg fit a round hole so you can't really scream at them 'make us an engine as powerful or more than the opposition and it must be bulletproof, oh and it must fit within these specifications.'

So yeh Renault have had enough, they've decided ugh fuck these guys, we'd rather run our own team than do this shit again and if you were Merc or Ferrari why would you supply Redbull? Redbull have already demonstrated they won't credit you when they do win and when they aren't winning they'll throw you under the bus.

Can you imagine if Merc or Ferrari did power Redbull and they didn't win? How many weeks before Redbull start getting the lawyers out and accusing them of supplying B-Spec engines? It's not worth the drama.

Redbull have cornered themselves now. Renault want nothing to do with them. They need Merc or Ferrari to stop up and Merc so far are laughing at them and the alternative is Honda and you can imagine how well they would go down after Redbull.

Their tantrum throwing is going to cost them. Every manufacturer goes through down periods. Ask Ferrari. Ask Mclaren. Ask Williams. All have dominated and then fallen and had to work their way up again. But that's not good enough for Redbull.

Fox Mulder

They may not have a choice, they've backed themselves into a position where Renault are sick of them constantly talking shit about them so they no longer want to be an engine provider.

Redbulls plan was to get rid of Renault and get a Merc or Ferrari unit and I would say they were hedging their bet that the FIA would force either of them to supply engines whether they wanted to or not. Merc already told them to take a hike and now they have to rely on Ferrari. If Ferrari says no, only Honda is left, a proposition even worse than Renault, so they definitely don't want to go there and they'd be better to stick with Renault, but after all the shit talk, Renault have been so soured over the whole ordeal they don't want anything to do with them either.

Personally, I wouldn't supply Redbull either. They never said jackshit about Renault when they were winning, never heard a peep about them despite the fact Renault powered them to 4 WDC and WCC. Then the second they aren't winning we've been hearing about nothing but Renault. To be fair, the Renault engine hasn't been terrible reliable or as powerful as the Merc or Ferrari units but Renault have always had to work around a really compact Newey chasis so they've had to make a square peg fit a round hole so you can't really scream at them 'make us an engine as powerful or more than the opposition and it must be bulletproof, oh and it must fit within these specifications.'

So yeh Renault have had enough, they've decided ugh fuck these guys, we'd rather run our own team than do this shit again and if you were Merc or Ferrari why would you supply Redbull? Redbull have already demonstrated they won't credit you when they do win and when they aren't winning they'll throw you under the bus.

Can you imagine if Merc or Ferrari did power Redbull and they didn't win? How many weeks before Redbull start getting the lawyers out and accusing them of supplying B-Spec engines? It's not worth the drama.

Redbull have cornered themselves now. Renault want nothing to do with them. They need Merc or Ferrari to stop up and Merc so far are laughing at them and the alternative is Honda and you can imagine how well they would go down after Redbull.

Their tantrum throwing is going to cost them. Every manufacturer goes through down periods. Ask Ferrari. Ask Mclaren. Ask Williams. All have dominated and then fallen and had to work their way up again. But that's not good enough for Redbull.

Redbull still is regarded as having a great car, it's the shit engine down on power and blowing up every 5 minutes killing them. Renault even regressed this year. It's not absurd for redbull to be demanding and publicly shitting on Renault's awful work. They're stuck in a bad situation with little control.

Bernie needs to force a manufacturer to supply redbull, as losing two teams isn't going to help anyone, and I doubt Renault will improve much under current rules owning just Lotus or Redbull and having no customer teams.

Mohonky

Redbull still is regarded as having a great car, it's the shit engine down on power and blowing up every 5 minutes killing them. Renault even regressed this year. It's not absurd for redbull to be demanding and publicly shitting on Renault's awful work. They're stuck in a shit situation with little control.

Bernie needs to force a manufacturer to supply redbull, as losing two teams isn't going to help anyone, and I doubt Renault will improve much under current rules owning just Lotus or Redbull and having no customer teams.

But they built the car around what they wanted the car to be, not the whole package. Thats the problem. If they get a new engine from anyone else, the cars going to need to be redesigned as well, and there is no gaurantee they can make another engine work and keep the same level of chasis performance.

Speaking of Red Bull

"Niki Luda and Helmut Marco having a bite together. Interesting..."
"Kvyat's sessions looks to over with a fuel system issue"

Kyougar

Even I despise the current Red bull, but this is wrong. They thanked renault several times for wins. They even had Renault Mechanics on the Podium.

Mastah

Looks like we have a race between Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes on our hands, while McLaren, or rather Alonso I should say, is the best of the rest. Would be good.

edit: And now Perez pips him. Still, Fred 8 tenths off the top :D

CPMQkSNUkAAyo5o.jpg:orig

Sweating too much, Marcus?

Risgroo

Looks like we have a race between Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes on our hands, while McLaren, or rather Alonso I should say, is the best of the rest. Would be good.

I refuse to get my hopes up :p Mercs are just playing around.
GERMAN JESUS WILL SAVE US

Edit: Ericsson always looks like he's on some dank shit ahahha.

Top Bottom