• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Aiii

So not worth it
Monza has a great crowd, but boy does it produce maybe the most boring races of each season.

Really the only time it's fun is when it rains.

I think it's more that there are broadcasters in each region that pay big money for exclusivity. Which is horseshit, because I'm sure there's a way they could just follow the WEC lead of a subscription-based deal. I know I'd probably pay $5-10 a race (the ones I'd be awake for, anyway) just to watch it at home. That's money that FoM currently isn't getting.

But yeah, 60fps F1 would be fucking insane.

The main stumbling block to a fully fledged online service is, as you say, the pre-existing contracts with broadcasters. But the flip side to the appeal of such a service is that it makes the broadcast income of the sport incredibly volatile, meaning one shit year could immediately impact profits, as opposed to long term contracts guaranteeing a large annual income and time to get popularity back on track before the contracts are up.

Such a service makes more sense for series like the WEC because it has a considerably smaller fan base, so they'd have a hard time selling rights in some markets, let alone getting a good price for them, so it makes more sense to cut out the middle men.

Such a service is inevitable for F1, but it won't happen until either FOM has enough leverage over broadcasters to get a good price out of them for non-exclusive rights in the next round of contracts, or the broadcasters lose interest.

Shaneus

So, F1 for young drivers is still complete shit, it seems:
With money drying up and sponsors borderline impossible to come by, (Mitch) Evans has little hope of securing a Formula 1 drive any time soon.

In recent years he has been forced to reject offers from Red Bull and Ferrari to join their junior programs due to the expectation he would pay large sums for the privilege, while the cost of securing a full time drive in Formula 1 is estimated at upwards of $12 million.

With such money unlikely to materialise anytime soon, Evans has admitted he is weighing up his options outside of single-seater racing.

“Obviously F1 is realistically over, so I’m trying to start a career with a manufacturer. I think that’s the most sensible option,” Evans told motorsport.com in April.

“It’s the way that motorsport is; you need to be with people that can fund a good ship, because it’s so difficult to get sponsorship these days.”

Many would question whether at 21 Evans is simply ‘giving up’ too early, but he has learnt much from the experiences of those that have come before him.
21 and he's lost all hope of becoming an F1 driver. Fucking ridiculous. But hey, Maldonado still has a drive so everything's a-ok.

Let's get this bloke back, probably wouldn't have had Webber or Alonso (or Justin Wilson) otherwise:
fXKEesp.jpg

Mastah

Oh no. A driver who has comparable achievements in GP2 to the great Marcus Ericsson, and barely beat Antonio Felix da Costa (who wasn't good enough for Red Bull to be in F1) and Daniel Abt (who was completely average in GP2 and was destroyed by his team mate Lucas di Grassi in Formula E) to the title in GP3, won't have an easy way to F1? That's a sha... Oh wait, he's a Kiwi under Webber's guidance, that should guarantee him good F1 race seat!

You know what was ridiculous? That F1 lost Robin Frijns, who won everything and was every bit as good as Jules Bianchi. You know what would be a shame? If guys like Magnussen, Vandoorne, Rowland, Ghiotto or Ocon wouldn't have a proper chance in F1.

But drivers like Palmer, Evans, Marciello, Rossi or Haryanto? Whatever.

itsgreen

So, F1 for young drivers is still complete shit, it seems:

21 and he's lost all hope of becoming an F1 driver. Fucking ridiculous. But hey, Maldonado still has a drive so everything's a-ok.

Let's get this bloke back, probably wouldn't have had Webber or Alonso (or Justin Wilson) otherwise:
fXKEesp.jpg

Ah Mitch Evans... that guy that has dominated GP2 for the last years... oh wait no... it's that guy that finished 14th, 4th and is currently 6th.... #nothingspecial

Aiii

So not worth it
Frijns never getting a drive is ridiculous, as is Vandoorne possibly not getting a proper chance.

But the real problem isn't that it's hard to get in F1, it's that there's only F1 they can turn to to validate their careers. Lets face it, there's 20, maybe 22 seats in some seasons available for drivers. There's not enough room for everyone to have a go and that means that sometimes a guy like Vandoorne is not getting a seat because, quite frankly, you're not going to ditch an experienced former world champion for a unproven kid.

There are more great drivers than there are seats in Formula 1.

Sure, we have some competitions that have good backing, like DTM, like the Le Mans Series, even Indycar, but even then none of those have the worldwide appeal that F1 does, so there you go.

Drivers need to come to terms with that fact, no matter how good you are, there are 22 seats and it's going to be hard to get your foot into that door. Unless you are truly exceptional, you need a bit of leverage to force your way in, because just being a good driver means that at any given season you're among at least 10 to 20 other good drivers that are competing for 2 or 3 vacant seats and at that point, money will make the difference, because the teams could care less about your past accomplishments (again, unless they are really exceptional) since the other drivers competing for your seats have similar results to show.

It's never going to be easy to get into F1, it's a limited field and there will never been enough seats to give to every talented driver out there.

dubc35

Webbah tells Pastor to ride a bike
"We know we've got quality at the front, but I just still think there's the swing of the financial drivers [into F1], who are coming to basically decide what teams they want to go to, and also if they're going to stay there," he said. "Pastor [Maldonado], for example, saying 'I haven't made my decision yet where I'm going'.

"What other sports work like that? If you're not performing, mate, on your bike, get out of here.

...and Lewis plans collaboration with Drake according to the Daily Mirror (which is a tabloid, correct?)
"A collaboration with Drake is on the cards," Hamilton is quoted as saying by the Daily Mirror. "We will release something at some point but I'm just recording for fun at the moment."

DD

Frijns not getting a seat is the biggest bullshit on recent F1 history. He's kickin' ass on Blancpain Series.

Aiii

So not worth it
Finally watching Gonchi.

Was not prepared for the Justin Wilson interview parts. Dear me, that's tough to watch.

DD

The moment Frijns declined the Red Bull Junior programme, he had no chance getting to F1.

Nah, Nasr also refused and he's there. I guess that the problem in entering in such program is that you're not guaranteed to get to there, whilst you shut doors everywhere else.

Dilly

Banned
Nah, Nasr also refused and he's there. I guess that the problem in entering in such program is that you're not guaranteed to get to there, whilst you shut doors everywhere else.

Nasr has Banco do Brasil, you don't get that kind of backing as a Dutch/Belgian driver.

DD

Williams announced that the batteries of the cars on Formula E will be 30% more powerful, which means that they'll be faster. :)

DD

I still believe that Pastor could be a kick ass driver at Blancpain Series, or even something faster like DTM. But he's too crazy to drive open wheelers.

yami4ct

Hasn't the Ferrari-Haas wind tunnel rumor been going around a couple months now?

edit,
Goodwood Revival livestream? Goodwood Revival livestream.

I had heard talk of Haas getting extra wind tunnel time due to not being officially a registered team yet, but nothing with this weird Ferrari workaround. It's something that sounds too ridiculous to be true, but also so crazy that it just might be something an F1 team would cook up.

Mohonky

I had heard talk of Haas getting extra wind tunnel time due to not being officially a registered team yet, but nothing with this weird Ferrari workaround. It's something that sounds too ridiculous to be true, but also so crazy that it just might be something an F1 team would cook up.

Sounds perfectly logical to me.

Haas act as a testing bench, using them to acquire data for the bigger factory team, eseentially doubling their time in a wind tunnel. I actually question how you could NOT see such a thing happening.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Guys, it's happening.

There's a clip on instagram of Hamilton singing one of his tracks. I can't.

So we can expect Lewis Hamilton to release his Christmas album, with his versions of top hits like "Ave Maria" (feat Kayne West), "Strangers in the Night" (feat Drake), "In the Ghetto" (feat his brother), "Barbie girl" (feat Nico Rosberg) and others.

Shaneus

Yay!! F1 in Melb until 2023. Take a hike Sydney.
Yeah, this is massive news. An 8 year contract for *any* location in F1 seems like a pretty big deal, especially one that's been somewhat tenuous in the past like Albert Park. Super glad it's been locked in for so long!
I expect to see all of you here at some point over the next 8 years

Shaneus

Congrats to Nico on the championship!
Hah, I only heard the other day that there's some curse to do with Drake and everything he's associated with. I'm glad I get this joke!

Not surprised he announced it *after* he was unbeatable in the championship. That's the case now, isn't it?

Staab

Should be interesting to see how it goes for them in Singapore, it's not so much an engine circuit and should highlight other strong areas of performance.

Also, when I was watching the Italian GP, commentators were saying how Lotus is completely falling apart, had to get a financial relief package from Bernie in August and are basically unable to get even 1 car properly built (using duct-tape and other shenanigans to make it work)...
Seeing as how both cards DNF'd there due to technical failures, do you think they even have a chance of finishing the season without the Renault buyout ?

Fox Mulder

Should be interesting to see how it goes for them in Singapore, it's not so much an engine circuit and should highlight other strong areas of performance.

Also, when I was watching the Italian GP, commentators were saying how Lotus is completely falling apart, had to get a financial relief package from Bernie in August and are basically unable to get even 1 car properly built (using duct-tape and other shenanigans to make it work)...
Seeing as how both cards DNF'd there due to technical failures, do you think they even have a chance of finishing the season without the Renault buyout ?

I read that Renault is already helping them by no longer requiring lotus to pay for terminating the engine contract they had last year. It's understandable that Pastor's sponsor would hold the check until it's clear where the team is heading even with his 2016 contract.

Aiii

So not worth it
To be fair to Lotus, Pastor went through an entire season's worth of spare parts for two cars in the span of half a season.

Dilly

Banned
Matching Ferrari power, yep.

Arai is constantly talking about the ICE, even though that doesn't matter nearly as much in this formula.

So far, Honda has resisted trying to fast-track its progress by recruiting high fliers from Mercedes or Ferrari: but the acceptance now on the ERS issues could force a change of heart.

This however is just plain stupidity, if there are people with the expertise to improve your shitty product, you hire them if you can.

frontieruk

Arai is constantly talking about the ICE, even though that doesn't matter nearly as much in this formula.

This however is just plain stupidity, if there are people with the expertise to improve your shitty product, you hire them if you can.

I'm not so sure, you not seen all that ICE Hammy wears???

Top Bottom