• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Aiii

So not worth it
So if Kvyat isn't confirmed for next season this weekend, he's surely getting dropped by Red Bull? Dutchie F1 insider says Verstappen will replace him with the announcement coming at the US GP.

I think there is very little doubt that this will happen.

But I doubt we will see any driver announcements before the engine deals are done. Technically RB are still "leaving the sport" so it doesn't make sense to announce 2016 drivers.

Fox Mulder

So if Kvyat isn't confirmed for next season this weekend, he's surely getting dropped by Red Bull? Dutchie F1 insider says Verstappen will replace him with the announcement coming at the US GP.

expected really and kvyat hasnt wowed as much in the step up as danny did last year. Not really fair with how shit their engine has been, but they have to keep Max.

Didn't help that Red Bull had fuck all support in Germany. Was very strange.

I suppose this has something to do with the fact that there's little reason to be a Red Bull fan. I mean, they do cool things and sponsor all these people and athletes. But really, who ever says "yeah, I love the company and everything they do". It's hard to build up any emotional attachment to the brand or company, because there isn't a huge investment you, as a person, can make (unless you buy a ton of Red Bull stock). It's also not possible to build up any excitement, because it's not a product you use throughout the day and defines your life (like electronic devices or similar things). It's a highly successful marketing company that sells energy drinks. Imagine Nivea joining F1 with a team and have success with it, winning championships. Would you become a Nivea fan and root for them?

Wow. That's harsh on Kvyat. They've kept Webber despite many, many years of subpar performance.

Verstappen has done well, but hasn't really smoked Sainz despite all the hype. Wonder if they will adopt the one-strike-you-are-out policy with him too...

I suppose this has something to do with the fact that there's little reason to be a Red Bull fan. I mean, they do cool things and sponsor all these people and athletes. But really, who ever says "yeah, I love the company and everything they do". It's hard to build up any emotional attachment to the brand or company, because there isn't a huge investment you, as a person, can make (unless you buy a ton of Red Bull stock). It's also not possible to build up any excitement, because it's not a product you use throughout the day and defines your life (like electronic devices or similar things). It's a highly successful marketing company that sells energy drinks. Imagine Nivea joining F1 with a team and have success with it, winning championships. Would you become a Nivea fan and root for them?

Maybe, but I think it mostly has to do with the fact that Vettel hasn't been a particularly popular champion, not like Alonso, Hamilton, Raikkonen, or Button to some extent.

Shaneus

Wow. That's harsh on Kvyat. They've kept Webber despite many, many years of subpar performance.
Subpar? Still helped them to multiple constructors championships. And mostly kept Vettel honest when the team clearly wasn't favouring the Aussie.

But yes, "subpar".

To be perfectly honest, I really only like the drivers, and that's because they've had two Aussies. Under any other circumstance I'd probably dislike them just as much as everyone else.

yami4ct

Ditching Kvyat after only one year on the main squad seems really harsh. Yeah he's had a rough first year, but a lot of that can be attributed to crap luck and Renault. Max is talented, but I don't think another year in the developmental team would hurt him. It's not like another team is in a position to swipe him either.

Shaneus

Ditching Kvyat after only one year on the main squad seems really harsh. Yeah he's had a rough first year, but a lot of that can be attributed to crap luck and Renault. Max is talented, but I don't think another year in the developmental team would hurt him. It's not like another team is in a position to swipe him either.
I'd rather see Sainz get there, he just seems more consistent and stable. And less petulant.

Mastah

CQ2zpBWWoAArVLR.jpg:large

30 minutes of delay, lol.

Aiii

So not worth it
Holy shit, Fernando claiming that they're gonna be super fast next year and the Manor is gonna be shit because their chassis will forever be crap.

The delusion is real.

Mastah

McLaren is very quick in such low grip conditions (here and Q1 in Austria), even with joke of an engine. Honda, sort your mess out :(

stryke

I think Mercedes.

But I hope something is sorted out, losing RB would not be good for the sport. Hell, buy Cosworth and develop your own engine if you must, anything.

What makes you think Mercedes would suddenly change their mind?

The problem with Red Bull is that they don't want to settle with "anything" and I doubt they can turn a Cosworth into a winning engine within 5 months.

Aiii

So not worth it
What makes you think Mercedes would suddenly change their mind?

Bernie.

The problem with Red Bull is that they don't want to settle with "anything" and I doubt they can turn a Cosworth into a winning engine within 5 months.

As long as they have a long-term plan for success, I think they could convince Dieter Mateschitz to do it. They did the same with Red Bull when they bought it, buy the team, buy the best people to develop and turn it into a top team.

stryke

Bernie.

As long as they have a long-term plan for success, I think they could convince Dieter Mateschitz to do it. They did the same with Red Bull when they bought it, buy the team, buy the best people to develop and turn it into a top team.

Well, I hope you're right, I haven't followed F1 long enough to know how a situation like this would get resolved.

Kuros

Interesting stuff on sky with Brundle having asked Horner if he'd do a Braun and he said he'd have a go if necessary.

Aiii

So not worth it
Interesting stuff on sky with Brundle having asked Horner if he'd do a Braun and he said he'd have a go if necessary.

Yeah, Sky really showing their worth.

Though I'm not surprised, Horner loves this. Bernie will cut him some deals just to keep the team around, too.

Lego Boss

Well, they still have the Renault engines for next year.

This is interesting as it seems as if it's going to be Merc (as Bernie told them to get back into negotiations and Wolf won't have the final say), or they're going to have Renault, who will have their own works team and will look for every angle possible to shaft RBR for their bad PR.

I can't really say that RBR don't deserve it. They've been like petulant teens since they stopped winning. I don't always agree with Hamilton but he got it right when he said the older (read: classier) teams wouldn't piss and moan and they'd just get on with it.

I want to see as many teams as possible competing in F1, but if there was one team I'd rather see out . . .

Aiii

So not worth it
This is interesting as it seems as if it's going to be Merc (as Bernie told them to get back into negotiations and Wolf won't have the final say), or they're going to have Renault, who will have their own works team and will look for every angle possible to shaft RBR for their bad PR.

I can't really say that RBR don't deserve it. They've been like petulant teens since they stopped winning. I don't always agree with Hamilton but he got it right when he said the older (read: classier) teams wouldn't piss and moan and they'd just get on with it.

I want to see as many teams as possible competing in F1, but if there was one team I'd rather see out . . .

Problem really is that F1 can't afford to lose a single team, as they just said on Sky, half of the teams on the grid are already on verge of bankruptcy, losing two teams (even if Haas is joining next year), leaves F1 in a terrible position. Especially if a team like Sauber dies, which is a real possibility.

tomtom94

Except that wouldn't change the fact Horner GP don't have an engine.

This is why the biggest loss to F1 since Brawn came along has been the loss of the dedicated engine manufacturers.

Kuros

Yeah, Sky really showing their worth.

Though I'm not surprised, Horner loves this. Bernie will cut him some deals just to keep the team around, too.

It's amazing seeing Bernie just walking between the motorhomes trying to get a deal done in public.

Brundle laying down the truth bombs with the fact these issues started 5 years ago with the new engine regs.

A Horner racing team would be no where near as valuable to F1 as RBR. Brundle also made the point that RBR are always front and centre with the promotion of the sport compared to he auto manufacturers.

Kuros

This is why the biggest loss to F1 since Brawn came along has been the loss of the dedicated engine manufacturers.

I believe the assumption is Horner would be perfectly happy with a 2015 spec Ferrari/Merc compared to Dietrich.

Aiii

So not worth it

Again, from what we know, the team has a deal with Renault for 2015, so they do have an engine.

Also, RB isn't willing to accept a 2015 engine, but Horner might.

But yeah, I'm watching FIA year recaps and I'm on 2008 now, Toyota, BMW, Honda, Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari are all still around.

I mean, I get why they have the restrictive rules, I get why Toyota and BMW left the sport, but I just wish Bernie spend a bit more effort of getting some money into manufacturers and teams in general so we wouldn't have such big issues.

Problem really has many aspects, the FIA needs to get some control and stop restricting development of cars and engines this much and FOM needs to make an effort to repay the teams more for their participation.

tomtom94

Again, from what we know, the team has a deal with Renault for 2015, so they do have an engine.

Also, RB isn't willing to accept a 2015 engine, but Horner might.

But yeah, I'm watching FIA year recaps and I'm on 2008 now, Toyota, BMW, Honda, Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari are all still around.

I mean, I get why they have the restrictive rules, I get why Toyota and BMW left the sport, but I just wish Bernie spend a bit more effort of getting some money into manufacturers and teams in general so we wouldn't have such big issues.

Problem really has many aspects, the FIA needs to get some control and stop restricting development of cars and engines this much and FOM needs to make an effort to repay the teams more for their participation.

Well, two weeks ago we were looking at Volkswagen joining F1 for the first time ever, so it's clearly still happening.

Aiii

So not worth it
Well, two weeks ago we were looking at Volkswagen joining F1 for the first time ever, so it's clearly still happening.

It's a crying shame that that whole diesel-scandal had to pop up just right now.

I'm convinced this kind of stuff happens with every manufacturer, so I wonder which of them spilled the beans on VW. It was either a disgruntled employee or one of the other manufacturers that went "hey, you might want to look into this on these cars"

It's a crying shame that that whole diesel-scandal had to pop up just right now.

I'm convinced this kind of stuff happens with every manufacturer, so I wonder which of them spilled the beans on VW. It was either a disgruntled employee or one of the other manufacturers that went "hey, you might want to look into this on these cars"

A disgruntled employee, you say?

What a beautiful response.

Top Bottom