• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

kharma45

Money can only account for so much. To have something taken away that you love to do isn't nice at all.

I'm sure he'd rather get a hell of a lot less money and be able to race, as would any F1 driver.

It is - because its a diesel... ;-)

Nope. VW corporate politics can easily be summarized by two words: "downsizing" (the engines) and "endurance" (for racing). They feel that's what their customers want, and that's where their marketing is going.
Look, even the Porsche hybrid has not been touted as the fastest, sportiest or most horsepower - but as the one with the biggest range.

Yep, that's about it.

I recall reading an article in the last year where Audi said the reason they don't go into Formula1 is because the tech for those cars doesn't easily go downstream to their cars.

Dilly

Banned
Yeah, rich people don't have feelings, so it's cool.

The point is that he's lost an F1 drive, many aspiring drivers that have more talent never get to drive even one season like he already did. He has received a big settlement (which was definitely what he deserved after contract breach) and I'm pretty sure he has a good chance to end up in WEC or DTM.

So yeah, excuse me if I don't share the sentiment.

image.php

Kimi <3

blargh:

530592fed490423c8eeb2a7e30b4e460.jpg

I miss Flavio..

Auto correct still throwing up some wins. :)
I failed. >.<

Talking about Van der Garde, I guess he had to choose between his F1 career or his rightful fight against Sauber. He knew he would be marked when he chose the latter. The whole thing sucks. Wish the best for him in his career.

NHale

But you're never bringing in a replacement driver with the intention of blowing the competition away are you, it's a 'we have to make do' situation. This weekend would have been an almost perfect way to give Wolff a run. Season opener with teams barely functioning, a great PR opportunity and at the very least it's more miles and data for the team. Hell, it would have at least made the race interesting to watch compared to what we got.

Williams couldn't have used Wolff this weekend because Bottas did the qualifying and his back issues only became worse during the qualify. You can't replace a driver after qualifying so there was nothing they could do (which of course they would because they lost points).

I don't. He's a cheating cunt.

Who isn't? Everyone in F1 cheats or at least try to cheat. The issue with Briatore is that he cheated by putting one of his drivers life at risk (and other drivers/marshalls too).

Mastah

Sauber stikes back:

Dear Sauber F1 Team fans,

Many of you read today’s statement on Giedo van der Garde’s Facebook page. So have we and we were, indeed, rather surprised. We don’t know about Giedo’s intentions. He may try to present himself as a winner, while we had actually hoped to come to rest after our agreement. Giedo decided to take a different approach – the reasoning behind we cannot understand.

We’d have very good answers to the many statements and accusations in Giedo’s post. But to expand on this wouldn’t help our race team nor our fans and partners. It would only encourage a mud fight via the media and we will not lend ourselves to that. The next race in Malaysia is where our focus is and that’s where we will build up on last weekend’s success together with our drivers Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr. All our efforts are drawn to this objective.

With this in mind we’d like to encourage you to form your own opinion about what happened, however critical it may be. From our side we herewith close the matter and look already forward to celebrating future achievements at the race track together with you.

Yours sincerely,
Sauber F1 Team

#LetsRaceNotFight

https://www.facebook.com/sauberf1te...39437.169175846463223/813352712045530/?type=1

Sauber stikes back:

Classy thing would have been to keep their mouths shut. That statement makes them look like a criminal that's been convicted but still insists that they didn't really do anything wrong.

GVD presents himself as a winner because he did win, multiple times. What makes me laugh is that he could have shut Sauber down last weekend at any point... and chose not to.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sauber stikes back:

Oh fuck off Sauber, you screwed over two drivers last year and lost several lawsuits causing you to nearly have to screw over a third one and your entire team to boot. Van der Garde was guaranteed a seat and spend 1,5 years at your team and didn't even look for another seat due to what you did. Only after the Silly Season was over with you told the guys with contract "fuck you, we're not giving you the seat."

Eat crow and shut up. Ugh.

mclem

Formula E may potentially race on the streets of Switzerland in the future following the decision from the Swiss government to reduce the restrictions on motorsport to allow electric racing.
Motorsport has previously been forbidden in Switzerland for decades with the last motor race to be held at the circuit of Bremgarten, near Bern, in 1954. Now, after a historic decision by the Swiss Council of States to adopt a motion by MP Fathi Derder, Switzerland can welcome professional motorsport back into the country.
http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2...iss-eprix.aspx

Bern rubber.

mclem

McLaren &#8207;@McLarenF1 2h2 hours ago

Spotted at #MTC: Fernando’s in the house today and will be in the simulator tomorrow.

The Simulator? It's like the real car, except it barely moves.

So it's like the real car.

Classy thing would have been to keep their mouths shut. That statement makes them look like a criminal that's been convicted but still insists that they didn't really do anything wrong.

GVD presents himself as a winner because he did win, multiple times. What makes me laugh is that he could have shut Sauber down last weekend at any point... and chose not to.

Yeah, completely agree. It's incredibly petty to come out of a situation like that and vaguely point fingers while claiming that they're above pointing fingers.

They should have just said that the unfortunate situation has thankfully been settled, and they're very much looking forward to focusing on their 2015 season after the strong result in Australia. But really, given Sauber's recent conduct, it comes as no surprise that they fudged this too.

cmr-94

Just flicked onto SkyF1 and rewatched the interview between ron dennis and brundle at suzuka last year. pretty amazing. he seemed so confident in it, describing it as "a piece of jewelry" and that there was no question that the engine would be competitive in 2014. amazing how things work out.

Saying that I'm not drastically surprised, and still believe unlike some people here that the move to honda was the correct one. it had to be done if mclaren were going to compete consistently with merc.

I also dont think alonso's switch was a mistake. He wants to win world championships. The best option, aside from merc, was honda. Sure he could have had a decent car this year with the ferrari, but he's not fussed with second. Personally I can't see ferrari truly challenging merc in the foreseeable future, but i'd like to be proved wrong.

People are also getting worked up over this 5 send gap between honda and merc. with all cylinders firing, i expect that gap to reduce significantly throughout the season.

Hammer24

Banned
... and still believe unlike some people here that the move to honda was the correct one.

It was the only move, where MCL wasn´t going to be treated like a second class citizen.
But in reality its kind of a pie in the sky scenario. Realistically seen, F1 is now a engine manufacturers series, and not a team series. Only FER has the potential, monetary and experience wise, to really challenge Merc. REN has coasted for years on the coattails of Newey designed cars. Now that some of his technical shenanigans* have been outlawed, they can´t compete. What Honda is willing and able to do from a developmental pov needs to be seen - but this could become a rather fruitless endeavor for them pretty fast. I would even go so far as to say that the probability of Honda catching up is as big as the probability of them pulling out again.
How long do you think they are going to bankroll this until they need to have a chance at winning?

* I call them shenanigans for their lack of transferability to real world scenarios.

Yeah I watched that the other day too after the Australian GP.

Literally sat in fits of laughter >.<

"I'm so excited to try our new state-of-the-art simulator"

Formula_1_Coverart.png

I loved this game :,(

Are they idiots? Why would they think it's a good idea to write this?

Yes.

Yes they are.

The Simulator? It's like the real car, except it barely moves.

So it's like the real car.

This deserves more love.

Mastah

McLaren &#8207;@McLarenF1 39m39 minutes ago

Good day in the sim for @alo_oficial, focusing on operational work & practising qualifying & race procedures. #FA14

"Fernando, please switch off engine, because it's about to blow up" :D

Williams couldn't have used Wolff this weekend because Bottas did the qualifying and his back issues only became worse during the qualify. You can't replace a driver after qualifying so there was nothing they could do (which of course they would because they lost points).

She couldn't run this weekend because she didn't take part in qualifying, Bottas hadn't been injured yet. For the next race if Bottas is still out then Williams will find the best driver they can to maximize their points, plain and simple.

I assumed it would be a situation where they just put a replacement driver at the back of the grid, fair enough.

It's about securing max points regardless of who's in the car. Teams aren't out there for show. Why run a slower driver when a faster one is available and can secure championship points that will pay millions? Suzie Wolff getting an undeserved race seat would actually be the PR move, as she is unqualified. Even NAD pay drivers are usually champions or good drivers at lower formulas. PEACE.

Is she really? Surely she would have been next in line as far as experience with the car would go. I understand the points you guys made and yeah it makes sense that she wouldn't drive. I just feel like it was a missed opportunity to do something different and could have benefited the sport in the long run even if it wouldn't be the 'best' solution.

Top Bottom