• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Shaneus

Williams confirmed that Susie Wolff won't replace Bottas

Australian GP: Williams will not put Susie Wolff in for Valtteri Bottas

Williams test driver Susie Wolff will not replace Valtteri Bottas if the Finn is ruled out of the Malaysian Grand Prix, the team have told BBC Sport.
The 25-year-old was declared unfit by a doctor to race in Australia because of a tear in a disc in his lower back.
But deputy team principal Claire Williams said Wolff would not be under consideration - although she refused to confirm the likely deputy.
"Susie Wolff is our test driver not our reserve driver," she said.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/31893787
Almost makes you wonder what Barrichello was doing, hanging around the pits.

Pimpwerx

Some will complain, but Wolff hasn't done anything to warrant a nod for a race seat, so no reason to give her a replacement role. I mean, does anyone know if she's even fast?

When Shuey broke his leg, I believe Luca Badoer was the test driver, but they used Mika Salo to fill the race seat. The reason bring Luca was slow as dog shit, and the few times he managed to get in a race, this was abundantly obvious. I've no doubt it's a similar case with Wolff. It's not necessarily PR, it's just that some drivers are good at testing, but lack racecraft.

I just looked, and Suzie Wolff never won a single race outside of juniors. Yeah, I'd say she's not cut out to drive on Sunday. PEACE.

Ark

Where is Toyota going to get a V6 F1 engine from?

It's not that far removed from their LMP1 engines. Despite Toyota's failures in F1 in the past, they are a mighty force. I can't imagine it would be too difficult for them to produce an engine quickly for next season. Even if it sounds crazy.

That'd actually be kinda cool. Especially if Renault do buy Torro Rosso, we'd have a huge amount of manufacturers back :)

Dilly

Banned
It's not that far removed from their LMP1 engines. Despite Toyota's failures in F1 in the past, they are a mighty force. I can't imagine it would be too difficult for them to produce an engine quickly for next season. Even if it sounds crazy.

That'd actually be kinda cool. Especially if Renault do buy Torro Rosso, we'd have a huge amount of manufacturers back :)

The TS040 has a 3l+ V8 naturally aspirated engine, except it being a hybrid I'd say that's quite far removed from F1 engines.

DBT85

I seem to recall people saying the same about Honda. They have such pedigree with turbos, it'll be easy, blaa blaa.

Unless Toyota started work in some way 12 months ago, there is no way in all hell they'd be able to supply Red Bull for next season.

Lach

They can just use one of their Lexus ES engines....

[edit] Or RBR should use their Infiniti connections to get Nissan on board....

Addnan

Red Bull want to win asap. Getting with a new engine provider doesn't seem like something they would want to do if they want to start winning soon.

Hammer24

Banned
... or does Nico have to wait until Hamilton chooses to pit and then go in after him?

This. As long as both are on the same strategy (read: start on the same tyre), whoever leads on track pits first. They clarified this to the drivers, after last year the drivers tried to circumvent it. Merc will do absolutely everything to prevent the team getting split. Every shred of data, absolutely everything is team property and shared.
On the ROS-HAM relationship - the friendship is dead. They agreed to have a very professional relationship, but Ham wont come into ROS apartment anymore to plunder the fridge (ROS words).

Dead Man

This. As long as both are on the same strategy (read: start on the same tyre), whoever leads on track pits first. They clarified this to the drivers, after last year the drivers tried to circumvent it. Merc will do absolutely everything to prevent the team getting split. Every shred of data, absolutely everything is team property and shared.
On the ROS-HAM relationship - the friendship is dead. They agreed to have a very professional relationship, but Ham wont come into ROS apartment anymore to plunder the fridge (ROS words).

That seems weird to me. As long as they are not hiding information I would have thought there was no harm and probably benefit in allowing each driver to call his own stops.

That seems weird to me. As long as they are not hiding information I would have thought there was no harm and probably benefit in allowing each driver to call his own stops.

Since the other teams are no real threat, whoever is behind will always try to pit first and put in a quick lap on new tyres to get ahead. It's easier to pass someone in the pit than on the track.

If they start "fighting" about going into the pit first it might hurt the overall strategy.

Hammer24

Banned

They had the same policy last year. The reason is, they want to do absolutely everything, no rift within the team develops. They feel that´d hinder their progress.
What happened last year was, that the drivers tried to circumvent it. F.I. complaining about higher than expected tyre degradation or vibrations, so the team would allow them the undercut. But when the team looked at said tyres, there was no degradation on the level the drivers claimed.
So in the end, they just clarified they wont allow any of those shenanigans this year.

Ark

The TS040 has a 3l+ V8 naturally aspirated engine, except it being a hybrid I'd say that's quite far removed from F1 engines.

I seem to recall people saying the same about Honda. They have such pedigree with turbos, it'll be easy, blaa blaa.

Unless Toyota started work in some way 12 months ago, there is no way in all hell they'd be able to supply Red Bull for next season.

Well, so much for optimism. :D

Hammer24

Banned
Well, so much for optimism. :D

Lets face reality here:
- Japanese engine manufacturers are nowadays too far behind the curve when it comes to cutting edge development
- Americans have a diametral customer demand - see f.i. the order stop on Hellcat engines. Why would they invest in small blocks, when their customers demand differently?
- Europeans - this market is dry as bones. VW wont do anything on engines larger than 4 cylinders. Audi is their diesel engine marketer. And Porsche has to do endurance. Look, downsizing is so important for them, they wont even put a 6 cylinder in their sole pickup truck. And who else is left?

Zeknurn

Lets face reality here:
- Japanese engine manufacturers are nowadays too far behind the curve when it comes to cutting edge development
- Americans have a diametral customer demand - see f.i. the order stop on Hellcat engines. Why would they invest in small blocks, when their customers demand differently?
- Europeans - this market is dry as bones. VW wont do anything on engines larger than 4 cylinders. Audi is their diesel engine marketer. And Porsche has to do endurance. Look, downsizing is so important for them, they wont even put a 6 cylinder in their sole pickup truck. And who else is left?

Volvo.

Lach

Edit: But you got me thinking - that might actually solve Saubers driver problems...

Speaking of Sauber...after that race result, VDG probably is even more motivated getting that seat. On the other hand, I read that when he got to the Sauber Garage to have his seat fitted on Friday, the team gave him a pretty cold welcome. All personal not directly involved with the fitting left the garage. This might have been what let him give up the seat for the weekend.

Hammer24

Banned
Speaking of Sauber...after that race result, VDG probably is even more motivated getting that seat. On the other hand, I read that when he got to the Sauber Garage to have his seat fitted on Friday, the team gave him a pretty cold welcome. All personal not directly involved with the fitting left the garage. This might have been what let him give up the seat for the weekend.

I cannot speak for VDG, but we should keep in mind that MK is not exactly beloved by her team, and PS visit has to be seen in that light, him trying to close rifts.
She was the one ordering the other people out of the garage for the fitting. Just imagine the PR nightmare, if some of her employees where actually seen buddying up with VDG.

Zeknurn

Van der Garde case set to be settled with €15m Sauber payout

The Giedo van der Garde v Sauber case looks set to come to a conclusion in the next couple of days after the parties finalised a settlement.

The bones of the deal were put in place in Australia on Friday, which is why the court action was dropped, and Sauber was able to compete.

It’s understood that the figure involved is €15m, a substantial sum given the obvious financial predicament of the team.
http://adamcooperf1.com/2015/03/17/van-der-garde-case-set-to-be-settled-with-e15m-sauber-payout/

LeBoef

Lets face reality here:

VWs Race Touareg is afaik a 5 cylinder :D

but yeah, nice write up.
i was baffled how the honda return was celebrated as a sure killer engine at neogaf.

one thing about VW is corporate politics though: what if they start to become pissed with audi vs porsche at le mans. dont think they want to see either losing for to long against the other. "forcing" audi out and curling into F1 isn't an impossible thing. i am sure audi wouldnt like to change all their marketing away from "diesel (hybrid) is almighty" to "the future are hybrid petrols". but the right politics would make it work, i am sure. because when corporate guys like piech decide, they usualy justify it by some things they make up.

of course not for 2016

NHale

Even Audi can't make a PU for 2016.

Red Bull is trying to limit Mercedes' performance, not a new supplier for 2016.

In my humble opinion Red Bull is just trying to force Renault to sell them their engine manufacturing so they can make their own engine with Illien on the helm.

The fact that they put out Illien working on ideas about improving the engine last Summer without Renault Sport knowing about it, is the proof I need about their attempt.

In my humble opinion Red Bull is just trying to force Renault to sell them their engine manufacturing so they can make their own engine with Illien on the helm.

The fact that they put out Illien working on ideas about improving the engine last Summer without Renault Sport knowing about it, is the proof I need about their attempt.

That (if they sell TR) or they are looking to sell the team. But Piëch won't budge.

Rosberg with a sense of humor:

Nico RosbergVerified account
‏@nico_rosberg
Dear Seb, this is the official invitation to join our debrief Friday 16.00 at Sepang. See you there, don't forget your notebook! :)

Hammer24

Banned
VWs Race Touareg is afaik a 5 cylinder :D

It is - because its a diesel... ;-)

one thing about VW is corporate politics though: what if they start to become pissed with audi vs porsche at le mans. dont think they want to see either losing for to long against the other. "forcing" audi out and curling into F1 isn't an impossible thing. i am sure audi wouldnt like to change all their marketing away from "diesel (hybrid) is almighty" to "the future are hybrid petrols". but the right politics would make it work, i am sure. because when corporate guys like piech decide, they usualy justify it by some things they make up.

Nope. VW corporate politics can easily be summarized by two words: "downsizing" (the engines) and "endurance" (for racing). They feel that's what their customers want, and that's where their marketing is going.
Look, even the Porsche hybrid has not been touted as the fastest, sportiest or most horsepower - but as the one with the biggest range.

Yep, that's about it.

Lach

I´d assume it wont be - I´d expect SUT to use this settlement as a blueprint for his claim, which I understand to be not worse than VDG´s.

I thought they already have paid him out....
[edit] ah no. He has just stated, that he isn't after a seat, only money....

Hammer24

Banned
I thought they already have paid him out....
[edit] ah no. He has just stated, that he isn't after a seat, only money....

To my knowledge he simply wanted to wait how the VDG court thing plays out. He simply doesn´t have the money for top rated lawyers VDG has.
I´d expect him to act as soon as this settlement is through.

Hammer24

Banned
So I guess VDG makes a nice profit from this since this is more than he paid for the seat?

Hard to say. His sponsors guaranteed the team 8 Mio. So that's more than that.
As for Sauber: their two current drivers are said to have brought 40 Mio, so its less than that.

LeBoef

Nope. VW corporate politics can easily be summarized by two words: "downsizing" (the engines) and "endurance" (for racing). They feel that's what their customers want, and that's where their marketing is going.
Look, even the Porsche hybrid has not been touted as the fastest, sportiest or most horsepower - but as the one with the biggest range.

so audi or vw will enter F1 in 2021.
4 cylinder 1.2L engines.
bmw will come back aswell, with their motorbike engines

:D

Humidex

Yep, as soon as F1 races family friendly station wagons, they´ll be there for sure. ;-))

Edit: But you got me thinking - that might actually solve Saubers driver problems...

Which reminds me...

16-9.jpg

I miss those days of BTCC.

Top Bottom