• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

hamchan

It's a pretty good feeling to have a crowd chant Nico's name like that considering how much he's been getting booed. The dude is the underdog compared to Lewis right now, so he should get support like this.

Aiii

So not worth it
I genuinely think neither Lauda or Wolff actually like Nico at all.

Nico doesn't seem like a sparkling personality, to be fair. If he's as distant in the team as he is on air, I can see how it would be hard to warm up to the guy. Doesn't mean you can't have a healthy working relationship.

I genuinely think neither Lauda or Wolff actually like Nico at all.

It certainly looks like Lewis is their favorite Wonderboy. It was always clear with Launda, since he's the one who brought Lewis to Mercedes and basically mentored him for a while. But Toto never struck me as unbiased either.

e: omg, shut up you Sky clowns and show the Ferrari interviews. Don't stretch this boring stuff more out than necessary.

Gruso

Fantastic podium scenes.

KSfNIrW.png

uqpVV2w.jpg

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
He should have asked him if maybe his sex life went to shit during his wife's pregnancy and if that's the reason for his shitty season. We need to know.

Aiii

So not worth it
He should have asked him if maybe his sex life went to shit during his wife's pregnancy and if that's the reason for his shitty season. We need to know.

It's after the pregnancy that your sex life goes to shit, or so I've been told.

Line_HTX

What's with the supposed thing about Force India they were talking about? Something about Aston Martin coming in and bringing Johnnie Walker in as well.

yami4ct

What's with the supposed thing about Force India they were talking about? Something about Aston Martin coming in and bringing Johnnie Walker in as well.

Rumor has it that Aston Martin is going to come in with the help of Johnnie Walker and rebrand Force India as a new Aston Martin team.

Line_HTX

Rumor has it that Aston Martin is going to come in with the help of Johnnie Walker and rebrand Force India as a new Aston Martin team.

Okay, that clears it up a little. I was confused as to what was said during the NBC broadcast because nothing's been confirmed yet.

Oh, Lewis

"Nico ran a good race, no mistakes, no gusts of wind..."

Nico ate too much authentic local food and that propelled him to the win.

Boullierwatch:

“Finally, I want to pay tribute to the organisers, who have put on a superb event here in Mexico City. The circuit is an astute recreation of an oft-lauded classic, updated with both safety and spectacle in mind, and today it hosted a grand epreuve worthy of the name. Veritably, the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez is an excellent addition to the Formula 1 calendar, and, to the hordes of enthusiastic local fans who packed its grandstands to the rafters today, I hereby say: we’re sorry we offered you neither thrills nor spills, but next year we’ll be in the mix, mark my words.”

ElTorro

Vettel interview:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...-blame-for-his-early-exit-from-the-mexican-gp

"It was my mistake. I didn't have any issues the whole weekend but twice in the race," he said. "Once I spun and the second time I managed to crash. I can't be happy with how the day went; obviously with the puncture on the first lap the race was pretty much lost. Without any Safety Car we couldn't really come back. I think the car was generally good. In general good to drive, the pace was very promising. Unfortunately, we were not in a spot to prove that. But I think we were closer than in the last races compared to Mercedes. In the end we didn't see the chequered flag, so not a good day."

Although Vettel held his hand up for both the spin and the race-ending accident, he pointed to the slippery conditions drivers experienced all weekend at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez. "There was nothing wrong with the car. I went in at more or less the same speed and very suddenly lost the car. It was very similar the first time when I lost control," he said. "We know it has been tricky all weekend, but that's not for blaming the conditions or the circuit. In the end it was my mistake - asking or wanting a little bit too much."

Regarding the coming together with Ricciardo, Vettel initially thought his former team-mate was to blame but said he'd reconsidered after watching footage of the incident.

"Initially I was pretty angry because I have a puncture. Looking at it now, I think it was correct not to take any action. I don't think Daniel had anywhere to go," he added. "Equally, he was trying but there was no gap really. But it's a very difficult judgement to make. We touched, but giving someone a penalty like that, you cannot do it. I'm not blaming him, but it was a shame for us."

Mastah

How many times in the next 23 races Ferrari will regret their decision about Kimi because of "team harmony" (lol) and his popularity? I said it many times and will say it again, throw Hulk, Perez, Grosjean or Bottas in that seat and they will deliver what's expected from solid number 2 driver. All these guys have matured now, their racecraft is quite good (yeah, I know about Hulk's latest adventures), so why not? But nope. Since signing new contract Kimi scored less than 7 points per race on average (6th-7th place) in what's without a doubt 2nd quickest car and crashed in the last 3 events. What a fricking joke.

Speaking of jokes, we had brief discussion about Vettel before quali and this race certainly won't prove opinions like that are wrong:

I think it's difficult to argue that Vettel is amazing when leading from the front, but he rarely puts on a recovery drive like we have seen from other drivers.

I mean, the best guys have bad days from time to time, but still recover quite nicely (just to mention Hamilton last year at Hockenheim or Hungaroring few months ago - off the track, collided with others, but still scored good points). Meanwhile Seb as soon as he lost to Kvyat forgot he's not alone anymore, so we've seen puncture in first corner, spin, running wide while trying to overtake Maldonado and finally stuffing car into barriers (which looked iffy, so maybe he wasn't at fault there). In Canada he also displayed some dodgy driving against Alonso and Hulkenberg, so don't be surprised when some people question divinity of German Jesus ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And finally, great job by Perez. 53 laps on his tyres, pushed Sainz and Verstappen into mistakes, defended his place after SC period and made awful strategy work.

NewDust

Lol Räikkönnen on the Beeb interview...

That's racing...
Many people have many different views...
But I was not very suprised

So first saying it's racing, than backtracking to say it could be interpreted many ways, than semi-insinuating it was a revenge action.

Pryce

I think it's difficult to argue that Vettel is amazing when leading from the front, but he rarely puts on a recovery drive like we have seen from other drivers.

He is undoubtedly quick, but l'd want to see him do it for Ferrari to see that consistency. Schumacher and Hamilton have done it, now Vettelust win with another team to show his talent is as broad as it is deep.

What?

Did we already forget Montreal this year?

Or the fact that if he hadn't spun twice this race he would have finished top 5 easily despite having a puncture on lap one? I mean, come on.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Went to bed straight after the race. Expected result, minus both Ferrari cars and I thought that we will see more DNFs.

This track could be quite fun if cars would be closer pace-wise.

Lego Boss

What?

Did we already forget Montreal this year?

Or the fact that if he hadn't spun twice this race he would have finished top 5 easily despite having a puncture on lap one? I mean, come on.

Yeah 'if he hadn't have spun twice'.

He would have finished the race too if he hadn't have put it into the wall.

If you're going to make an argument, at least make it sensible. He had a bad day, everyone has those. I'm not going to say that he's not a great driver, but defending him for today's performance (or either Ferrari driver) is just ludicrous.

Yeah 'if he hadn't have spun twice'.

He would have finished the race too if he hadn't have put it into the wall.

If you're going to make an argument, at least make it sensible. He had a bad day, everyone has those. I'm not going to say that he's not a great driver, but defending him for today's performance (or either Ferrari driver) is just ludicrous.

Lol, you were that guy who claimed he can't drive when not leading. Which got busted so many times that repeating that nonsense is at the point of trolling.

Lego Boss

Lol, you were that guy who claimed he can't drive when not leading. Which got busted so many times that repeating that nonsense is at the point of trolling.

Trolling? Seriously? Get real.

I just said that he had a bad race yesterday. If I was trolling, don't you think I would be on here flaming and saying 'yeah, look Vettel is shat, he can't manage traffic and then he can't recover from the back'. I merely responded to someone else's paper-thin argument about saying 'if he hadn't have spun he would have finished fifth'

That's just a hypothetical taken beyond its logical conclusion. It's like saying Hamilton would have won if he had stayed out . . . but there was a safety car anyway (ironically caused by Vettel).

Results don't deal in hypotheticals, they deal in facts, which seems to be something that most on here seem to forget when it doesn't fit their world view.

Vettel is a better driver from the front than when dealing with traffic. I've never said that he's not a good driver or can't deal with traffic.

Some on here need to gain some perspective.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Especially if he is posting such nonsense a week after Austin, where Vettel raced on track from 13 to 3.

ElTorro

Vettel's spins didn't even have anything to do with traffic... He just spun off the track with nobody else being around him.

The track was slippery and he fucked it up. That's the story.

Prime example of confirmation bias. Things can go well for a hundred times but a single bad race is suddenly the confirmation again that Vettel has no race craft or Hamilton can't stand pressure etc..

It's boring.

hadareud

The Translator
What I like about Vettel is that he held his hands up and admitted that the collision wasn't Ricciardo's fault and that he also admitted that he fucked up on the crash. He could have easily blamed it on the brakes (as Kimi continues to), but he didn't.

The whole thing about who is the best is ridiculous anyway. Unless we see those top drivers compete with the same weapons (ie the same car) there's no way of telling who is quicker. Hamilton certainly had much better team-mates than Vettel and Vettel really struggled last season against Ricciardo, but then, everyone can have an off season or a car that doesn't perform to their style of driving.

My suspicion is that Hamilton would probably edge it against Vettel, but that's nothing but a guess.

It's just a shame that Ricciardo, Button and Alonso don't have competitive cars this season, because I think we've never had as many drivers that are as closely matched skill-wise, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

tomtom94

I really hope Ferrari hook it up next season. Hamilton versus Vettel would probably be the best world championship rivalry for some time.

Ark

Prime example of confirmation bias. Things can go well for a hundred times but a single bad race is suddenly the confirmation again that Vettel has no race craft or Hamilton can't stand pressure etc..

It's boring.

What is this, the Autosport forums?

Sorry, that's a bit unfair. The Autosport forums are a fucking shambles.

EDIT: Fuck, sorry, double-post.

Lego Boss

I really hope Ferrari hook it up next season. Hamilton versus Vettel would probably be the best world championship rivalry for some time.

This is true. To see them both in the same machinery would be the best way to settle it once and for all, even if that wasn't in a WDC car.

Personally, I think that if Vettel and Hamilton were in a Merc Vettel would do it (cos as I've said before he's a flat track bully, can only lead from the front etc etc jokes), but if they were in current Ferraris Hamilton would edge it, just because he's better at wringing out performance from an indifferent car.

And yes, I know Vettel won his first race in a Toro Rosso at Monza, but it's just my opinion so don't take it as a slight . . .

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
What I like about Vettel is that he held his hands up and admitted that the collision wasn't Ricciardo's fault and that he also admitted that he fucked up on the crash. He could have easily blamed it on the brakes (as Kimi continues to), but he didn't.

The whole thing about who is the best is ridiculous anyway. Unless we see those top drivers compete with the same weapons (ie the same car) there's no way of telling who is quicker. Hamilton certainly had much better team-mates than Vettel and Vettel really struggled last season against Ricciardo, but then, everyone can have an off season or a car that doesn't perform to their style of driving.

My suspicion is that Hamilton would probably edge it against Vettel, but that's nothing but a guess.

It's just a shame that Ricciardo, Button and Alonso don't have competitive cars this season, because I think we've never had as many drivers that are as closely matched skill-wise, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Well, we could see who is the best driver but Hamilton seems to avoid the Race of Champions. Guess he just doesn't feel comfortable in anything but an F1 race car.

Top Bottom