• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

DD

Probably all F1 drivers are crybabies with big egos. It's a job requirement.

Would have loved to have team radio during the Senna/Prost area.

This. I mean, they always say that that's what they love to do, yet they've been complaining for years about these cars, the engines, the tires, etc., but despite the fact that all of them could get a seat anywhere they want at any series in the world, they're still doing Formula 1. So, in my mind, racing is not exactly what they love. They love the fame (so much that today half of the grid pays to be there). Bunch of bitches, all of them...

EDIT: speaking of Senna, he wasn't happy when Ron asked him to let Berger win in Suzuka when his third title was already secured.

John_B

At the end of the day Hamilton did not manage pole nor to pass Rosberg at the start of the race. He lost control of the race.

However it very much came off as Mercedes did not want to upset the 1-2 they had in the bag. The started with leaving Hamilton out for an extra lap after Rosberg first pitted. His engineer had to fake surprise when telling him that fresh medium tyre was faster than old busted soft tyre (a full second in a single sector).

At the end of the day Hamilton did not manage pole nor to pass Rosberg at the start of the race. He lost control of the race.

However it very much came off as Mercedes did not want to upset the 1-2 they had in the bag. The started with leaving Hamilton out for an extra lap after Rosberg first pitted. His engineer had to fake surprise when telling him that fresh medium tyre was faster than old busted soft tyre (a full second in a single sector).
I honestly do hate that the team has a single strategist, sometimes the dumbest things happen to that team and it always seems to be a dodgy strategy call.

Mohonky

Thing is, had they pitted Rosberg and then Hamilton's tyres fell apart, he'd have blamed the team anyway. Let the whiny fuckers make their own decisions.

That's not why cars are loaded with sensors and telemetry, the engineers and strategists can see far more of what's happening with the cars and other drivers but drivers may at times question the decision if the car still feels good to them; so they may question why the team gives the advice or orders they do.

Its not being whiny to question the team's call if Hamilton has his ass in a car he's done hundreds of miles; he can feel what the cars doing and how far along the tires are. He is likely thinking we'll Nico might have driven the tires to death out in front and just knackered them and the team might just be being overly cautious about bringing him in as well and being happy with a 1-2 in any order where as far as Hamilton is concerned he is going for 1st. Hamilton would know new tires are faster, but are they a whole pit stop faster when by his own belief they still felt good and maybe he could maintain that pit stop margin and win the race.

As other drivers managed to show, those tires could have gone to the end and Merc were basically being cautious; with both Drivers and constructors wrapped up, the team is likely thinking just secure the 1-2 and we're happy. Hamilton has shown, as well as many other drivers, that they are there to win, anything less, no matter how inconsequential in the overall standings and they won't be happy. That's why Hamilton questioned it and even looking back on the race he is probably asking the same thing still.

Any experienced driver would have questioned it. Younger guys are more likely to just do as they are told in case they get the ass or are just less likely to question the team's instructions as they haven't been around long enough to have the experience to be confident that they may know better by the feel of the car.

At the end of the day the question is; were Merc just being too cautious and could Hamilton have won had he just kept going. That's why he was doing a double take on the pit order and asking how they came to that decision.

Business

That sweet post-race salt.

Speaking on Monday, Hamilton was asked if he felt that the team had orchestrated the result.

"I never think those kind of things," Hamilton responded.

He added: "But I know the team has felt the need to be extra warm [to Rosberg]."

When asked to elaborate, Hamilton said: "I do know what I mean, but I'm not going to say what I mean. You should ask Toto Wolff [Mercedes team boss] and Niki Lauda [Mercedes non-executive chairman].

"You should put those questions to them about how they feel about it, and what they have to do behind the scenes to keep him happy."

http://planetf1.com/news/lewis-merc-were-extra-warm-to-rosberg/

Still clinging to the fact he may not have needed a second pitstop and insinuate he lost because of his team's agenda. How stupid.

At the end of the day the question is; were Merc just being too cautious and could Hamilton have won had he just kept going. That's why he was doing a double take on the pit order and asking how they came to that decision.

Mercedes were then being too cautions with both their drivers because they followed exactly the same strategy. If they pitted Rosberg, it only makes sense they pit him as well.

That's not why cars are loaded with sensors and telemetry, the engineers and strategists can see far more of what's happening with the cars and other drivers but drivers may at times question the decision if the car still feels good to them; so they may question why the team gives the advice or orders they do.

Its not being whiny to question the team's call if Hamilton has his ass in a car he's done hundreds of miles; he can feel what the cars doing and how far along the tires are.

It's not whiny to question it in the race... but it's massively fucking pathetic to still be insinuating that the team screwed you after the race.

Again, give the drivers the option to overrule the team if they think they know better or they're so paranoid that they think the team is screwing them.

Mohonky

It's not whiny to question it in the race... but it's massively fucking pathetic to still be insinuating that the team screwed you after the race.

Again, give the drivers the option to overrule the team if they think they know better or they're so paranoid that they think the team is screwing them.

Personally even as a Ham fan I doubt he was ever going to win that one,I think Nico drove a good race in Mexico and would have been surprised had he lost it, but you're never going to convince a driver, especially the current WDC that his team mate just had the measure of him in the day, especially when he's already questioning the call to begin with.

Hes hardly the first driver to to come off as a shitty loser or question team politics after a race. F1 drivers, in particular the ones at the pointy end of end of the grid have always been egomaniacs. This isn't exactly a new or unique development.

Zeknurn

If you thought there was still a slim chance that Volkswagen would enter F1.

BERLIN/FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Volkswagen was facing fresh questions on Tuesday after U.S. regulators widened their accusations of emissions- test cheating against the German carmaker to include the luxury Porsche brand previously run by its new CEO.

jambo

Still clinging to the fact he may not have needed a second pitstop and insinuate he lost because of his team's agenda. How stupid.

Should have left him out

untitled-6cus9b.gif

Ham had 3 seconds on Nico gifted to him by the safety car. I feel he should just be taking the loss on the chin, he was presented an opportunity and couldnt make the most of it.

dubc35

After careful consideration, the Circuit of The Americas (COTA) board of directors has decided to part ways with CEO Jason Dial. We appreciate Jason’s hard work in his two years at COTA, but it’s time to move in a different direction. As we embark on a busy year, we are committed to delivering an outstanding fan experience and world-class events. While a search for replacement is underway, an interim executive committee of the board will lead COTA’s day-to-day operations.

Can't find a link to their presser but it's being reported in multiple places. Commentary in articles shows the CEO role has had high turnover since it was built.
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/circuit-of-the-americas-ceo-out-after-disastrous-rainy-1740381929
http://keyetv.com/sports/professional/cota-board-parts-ways-with-ceo-after-two-years
http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2015/11/03/report-cota-ceo-out-after-two-years/75110720/

Lach

Best thing about these is how stuck up Rosberg and Hamilton sit there.....
They probably have very strict Media Rules....

Susie Wolff retires from motorsport...

Time to Hang Up the Helmet

So much in life comes down to timing. Particularly in my world. For me, the time has come to hang up my helmet and call it a day.

Race of Champions will be my last race. I started at eight-years-old on a kart track on the west coast of Scotland so it seems fitting to finish with representing my country against some of the worlds top drivers.

It has been an incredible journey with many ups and downs. I feel privileged to have turned my passion into my profession.

I was brought up by brilliant parents who never once made me think motorsport was rather for boys, that I was choosing a path unusual for a girl. They instilled in me the belief that I could achieve anything if I was determined and worked hard enough.

At 13, the dream and the goal became Formula 1. I got oh so close. I wanted and fought very hard to make it onto that starting grid but the events at the start of this year and the current environment in F1 the way it is, it isn't going to happen.

My gut feeling tells me it is time to move on. Time to explore new challenges and push myself in new environments. As a sportsperson it is always difficult to know when to stop but for me, this journey has come to an end.

Looking back there are key moments that will always stand out. The World Championship Karting Finals, my first podium in Formula Renault, being a finalist in the BRDC Young Driver of the Year Award but I will always thank my lucky stars for my big break with Mercedes Benz in the German Touring Car Championship.

It was my chance. I seized the opportunity and took on the challenge. It led to not only seven great years, but even more important, it led me to meeting a man who believed in my dreams, who pushed me to be the best I could be and who continues to inspire me each day. A man I am now lucky to call my husband.

My progression into Formula 1 came to represent so much more than a racing driver simply trying to reach the pinnacle of the sport. It was also the hope that finally there may again be a female on the starting grid. I rode the wave, was energized by all the support and fought hard. There were those who wanted it to happen. Those who didn't.

I can only tell you, I gave it my all. Do I think F1 is ready for a competitive female racing driver that can perform at the highest level? Yes. Do I think it is achievable as a woman? Most definitely. Do I think it will happen soon? Sadly no. We have two issues, not enough young girls starting in karting at a young age and no clear role model. Sometimes you just have to see it to believe it.

These issues I want to address. I want to give something back and help the next generation. Together with the MSA (Motor Sports Association) we will launch a new initiative aimed at celebrating the woman succeeding in motorsport on and off the track now plus highlighting to the next generation that motorsport is an option for them. I dared to be different, I want to inspire others to do the same.

Aside from this, I am excited for the future. With this door closing now, I look forward to opening the next. Onwards and upwards.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/susie-wolff/susie-wolff-retired_b_8461408.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PPhfA5XNaE

Vettel at the Monaco podium is probably my highlight of the season.

Yeah, I guess unlike 2 or 3 years ago, both start to respect each other and both a looking forward to fight each other in equal competitive cars. Because albeit both are now three resp. four time world champions, they each time sat in the best car on the pack. So we still don't know who's the better driver right now.

Vettel seems like a genuinely nice guy.

He's always been, but it was hard to accept that side of him, because he made seasons boring to watch and would never shut up during the press conferences.

untitled-1slb3y.gif

Not to mention that no one likes a Red Bull driver.

Risgroo

bye susie

I would have Simona De Silvestro in car.
I like Susie, but she just isn't good enough for F1 :(
He's always been, but it was hard to accept that side of him, because he made seasons boring to watch and would never shut up during the press conferences.

untitled-1slb3y.gif

Christ it hurts to see JB and Alonso in a press conference. Honda pls

nny

untitled-1slb3y.gif

If Alonso and Button knew what was coming to them in 2015, I'm sure they would be enjoying that press conference much more.

Business

Carmen Jorda is well known for being a fantastic driver. Clearly at F1 level, it is a crying shame that she hasn't been given a chance in this male dominated formula...

I don't know much of Carmen's achievements but I'd have thought she even had a chance at positive discrimination if she was any good. Honeslty I think if she didn't get a chance is because there were guys that deserved it more.

Aiii

So not worth it
Carmen Jorda is a tremendous talent, having such championship position as 28th, 30th and 29th in three consecutive pointless GP3 seasons, managing to get no less than a GP3 career-best 13th finishing position one time, and even got no less than two 17th places while she drove there. Amazing. Not to mention that in 2007 she managed a career best 4th(!) position in the B-cup Copa-class championship of the Spanish Formula 3 series.

True F1 potential if I ever saw it, crying shame she is being kept down by the male-dominated management in F1.

Red Bull-owned Speedweek publication launches a scathing attack on all of F1's engine providers; Website says a Honda deal would be worse than continuing with Renault; Mateschitz says works teams are scared

"We have had to extend our deadline for two or three weeks," Dietrich Mateschitz told Speedweek.

"But there is not a competitive engine for us anyway."

R.I.P

Ricciardo is already lining up a NASCAR drive.

Aiii

So not worth it
Mateschitz can fuck off. I'm sick of their endless whining and complaining.

Like it or not, at the very least RB is publicly exposing a fatal flaw in the F1 business model, relying too much on manufacturers and giving them way too much control in the sport.

Top Bottom