• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
1. Mercedes - I like the silver/black combo, and even the mint is ok. hatersgonnahate.gif comeatmebruh.gif
2. Ferrari - Classic red with nice white/black accents.
3. Lotus - Simple and elegant.
4. Red Bull - Colorful but still balanced.
5. Toro Rosso - Not a big fan of gold and the darker blue, but nice pattern.
6. Williams - Generally nice, but I am not a huge fan of white.
7. McLaren - Terrible red accents, especially on the nose. Could have been much better.
8. Force India - Don't like the accent color of the Indian flag.
9. Manor - Shitty colors with no concept.
10. Sauber - Why...

Jezbollah

A few of my favorite liveries.

2.jpg

H58vjMSU.jpg

IMG_0485.JPG

lotus49pmuvi.jpg

Kuros

I'm guessing it's because i was born in the eighties but i always think of Mclaren's as being the classic red and white and the Williams as yellow and blue. I realise this was because they were mobile cigarette advertisements but there you go.

Lewis spotted being a douche with random floozies at posh NYC fashion event VIP circlejerk. I think I like him this way. It's at least a personality and not a corporate tool, and so long as he keeps winning and making fans happy Mercedes is really in no position to tell him to tone it down. Also, his hair finally almost looks okay.

Shaneus

Oooh, a liveries discussion! Some of my favourite actual and concept ones:

Toro Rosso STR7 (2012):
K4et1yql.jpg

Royal blue, gold pinstriping and just the right amount of red. Probably my favourite of the most recent liveries.

Toro Rosso concept:
LBoYlFP.jpg

Breaks my heart they never thought to use this.

Jaguar R4 (2003):
OV3M9jfl.jpg

Hngh.

Williams FW36 (2014):
nuZytgKl.jpg

Second-best of the recent liveries IMO. Everything should have Martini branding.

Mohonky

So Red Bull are continuing with Renault, but they have co-designed the unit and finally agreed on ownership of the design and components with Red Bull supplying the entire design and make of the ERS.

Looks like Red Bull won't have anyone to blame if they power unit isn't up to scratch since they were involved in designing it now.

Zaru

Bonus, the single best F1 Livery ever used:
8083389129_7ab1bdb1ce.jpg

1998 Jordan GP.

The yellow/black Jordans were great to look at. I've sat in a '97 snake Jordan. Sadly didn't get to drive it, I was like 12 :(

Looking at those old liveries from Jordan, Jaguar, or that Arrows... those were liveries you could actually tell apart on the grid. Nowadays the only cars that REALLY stand out are the Ferraris and Red Bull branded teams, and maybe the McLarens (though not in a positive sense)

Since we're still talking about liveries.

I really, really wish Mercedes hadn't messed with the engine cover.

It actually looked good at the start of the season.

ypLbCYf.jpg

Clear and distinctive lines.

Then they messed with it sometimes in the middle of the season and now is just more of this messy airbrush shit.

LUZcPc5.jpg

It would look cool even with silver ones, IMHO. :)

I disagree, but either way, it's a shame that we'll never find out.

Ricciardo is not a fan of Interlagos, huh.

"You have to take it corner-by-corner and concentrate on the one you're in. There's not many that you string together. There's not many corners full stop.

"Brazil's a wonderful grand prix with a great atmosphere in an exciting city but the track doesn't really do it for me.

"There's just not a corner that gives you any real satisfaction. I don't want to make it sound dull, because it isn't, but like Russia, there isn't a corner that makes you go "Woooo-Hoooo!"

"It needs a few more corners and something really high speed. There's a couple that look good on paper but because of the cambers, you never really have the grip to go barrelling in."

DD

Since we're still talking about liveries.

I really, really wish Mercedes hadn't messed with the engine cover.

It actually looked good at the start of the season.

ypLbCYf.jpg

Clear and distinctive lines.

Then they messed with it sometimes in the middle of the season and now is just more of this messy airbrush shit.

LUZcPc5.jpg

Yeah, more solid colors. Off with this airbrush crap! :3

I disagree, but either way, it's a shame that we'll never find out.
Any Photoshop guru around?

"You have to take it corner-by-corner and concentrate on the one you're in. There's not many that you string together. There's not many corners full stop.

"Brazil's a wonderful grand prix with a great atmosphere in an exciting city but the track doesn't really do it for me.

"There's just not a corner that gives you any real satisfaction. I don't want to make it sound dull, because it isn't, but like Russia, there isn't a corner that makes you go "Woooo-Hoooo!"

"It needs a few more corners and something really high speed. There's a couple that look good on paper but because of the cambers, you never really have the grip to go barrelling in."
It's Ok, nobody is perfect.

I've been playing too much Trackmania of late, my first thought was that the intended route was to make a hard right and drop off the bridge onto the track below.
LOL

Risgroo

I agree. Time for that shit track to make way for the ISIS Grand Prix next year.

Wtf Ricky

DD

Did he compare Brazil to Russia.
Comparing a circuit designed by Herman Tilke to a track partially designed by Ayrton Senna is kind of sad, really. But who am I to disagree to a Formula 1 driver? But at least on computer sims (I'm not comparing videogames with real life!), you really have to to think ahead on Senna's 'S', where if you miss the entry, you'll obviously lose time on the second leg of it and also at the 'Curva do Sol', that leads to a straight. Later there's the "Ferradura' leading to 'Laranjinha', a blind corner, very hard to do it flat out (maybe not so hard for a Neway designed car :p). Later you have the 'Bico do Pato' turn, one of the few overtaking points that is not preceded by a straight, and at the end of the lap you have the 'Curva da Junção' that demand a very precise take because it leads to the longest flat out stretch of the entire season, so you'll lose a lot of time and can be overtaken if you don't do it right.

Yeah, I love Interlagos. Too bad it doesn't have the Jacarepaguá vistas. :p

Haas revealed that talks with Grosjean led to a deal being agreed at the Italian Grand Prix, after discussions with another driver ended unsuccessfully.

"It was in Monza," Haas explained. "Before that we had talked to another driver – I don't want to mention his name – who in the end, after talking to each other for a month, decided to stay where he was.

"That was acceptable. I didn't have a problem with that because every start-up team is high risk. Romain saw what we are doing, and obviously Lotus was having its little issues so he decided, 'I might as well do this!'"

Do we know who he's talking about? Who else was rumored for the Haas seat? Hulkenberg?

DD

Sounds like it might be a bit too much on the technical style for him, rather than balls out "feel".

In my head it's the opposite, honestly. Old tracks like Monza, Suzuka, Spa, Interlagos, Silverstone and Montreal are more on the balls out side, whilst modern tracks are more technical (hence boring).

DD

Haas revealed that talks with Grosjean led to a deal being agreed at the Italian Grand Prix, after discussions with another driver ended unsuccessfully.

"It was in Monza," Haas explained. "Before that we had talked to another driver – I don't want to mention his name – who in the end, after talking to each other for a month, decided to stay where he was.

"That was acceptable. I didn't have a problem with that because every start-up team is high risk. Romain saw what we are doing, and obviously Lotus was having its little issues so he decided, 'I might as well do this!'"

Do we know who he's talking about? Who else was rumored for the Haas seat? Hulkenberg?
Magnussen?

In my head it's the opposite, honestly. Old tracks like Monza, Suzuka, Spa, Interlagos, Silverstone and Montreal are more on the balls out side, whilst modern tracks are more technical (hence boring).

He mentions he doesn't like the camber, which tends to be something the more technical drivers handle better.

DD

I was reading a piece about the differences on the teams in Formula E. It seems that Piquet Jr. will probably stay out of the race for the title this year. It's been said that Renault invested a lot of money on e.Dams, coming with a single engine (instead of the two planed) with a very light carbon fiber gearbox with two gears (one for the race start coming from 0 Km/h and the other for the rest of the race), while China came with a two engined car (which means it is heavier) with a single gear. So e.Dams has a lighter car (only Audi Abt has a car as light) with optimal power usage. Virgin is also very heavy, so Vergne and Bird might be in trouble too.

That sounds like coners how they were designed on older tracks though. Fluid high speed corners are more a thing of modern tracks.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Alonso. ;) Button might have been interested.

DD

LOL wut? Senna didn't design Interlagos in any capacity.

He did, really! Interlagos was a very different beast than it is today:

interlagos_museu_blog.jpg

Then they sent the race to Rio de Janeiro in the eighties, but by the end of that decade, it was decided to bring it back to Interlagos, after some big reformations.

This was the first design proposed by Chico Rosa, delivered to Bernie Ecclestone:

proposta.jpg

But then Senna appears and decide to design the first 'S', and that changed the whole project, leaving out almost half of the old circuit.

interlagos90_map.gif

Now it's one of the shortest circuits of the calendar. Some people resent that until today.

DD

He said that the driver decided to stay where he was which doesn't sound like Magnussen because he doesn't have a seat (not yet anyway).

Hmm, a former Formula 1 driver that says that he doesn't intend to quit his current winning environment is Piquet Jr.

You can see from satellite shots that all of the the original tarmac is still there. Anytime they want to bring it back to life, they have my blessing :) It would be anything, but boring.
It is, but many parts of it is used for other stuff like grandstands and even a court. Is it possible to bring it back? Well, money can do it, but I honestly can't see it happening. :p Some high speed corners very close to the walls at the limits of the circuit, etc.

EDIT: Kimi escaped to one of these old parts of the track few years ago, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkKli_aWi2g

It is, but many parts of it is used for other stuff like grandstands and even a court. Is it possible to bring it back? Well, money can do it, but I honestly can't see it happening. :p Some high speed corners very close to the walls at the limits of the circuit, etc.

EDIT: Kimi escaped to one of these old parts of the track few years ago, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkKli_aWi2g

Oh, they'd never do it of course. I mean T1a and 1b are like half an oval (I think they were modeled after T3 & 4 at Indy). They both be very sketchy 195mph corners in a modern car. No run off. Charlie would faint on first site. Tilke would demand three separate chicanes be put in.

It's comforting to me that it's still there though. That it's not completely lost, and hey, you never know.

DD

Gene Haas believes his chassis might be better than Ferrari's in some aspects due the conservative culture at Maranello compared to the aggressive design Haas and Dallara are making together. And this is how you have a positive approach to life.

Gene Haas believes his chassis might be better than Ferrari's in some aspects due the conservative culture at Maranello compared to the aggressive design Haas and Dallara are making together. And this is how you have a positive approach to life.

If they weren't using off the shelf Ferrari suspension, I'd be very worried by that approach, but who knows, perhaps they'll find something. I'm betting Ferrari will be much more aggressive with cooling and aero next year as well now that they've got the mechanical side sorted.

Top Bottom