• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Fucking hell

Lance Stroll to test for Williams in 2016

Please no, he makes Maldonado look good. Pay driver series.

After some horrible driving and many incidents during the first half of the F3-season he actually did improve a lot during the second half of the season.

I used to think he was awful but with another year in F3 and then some GP2 (his dad basically bought a team for him) he might turn out to be an OK driver.

Edit: This move at Spa was probably his worst moment: https://youtu.be/9e5TlmKafMM (Stroll on the left side)

Nemme

lewishamilton on instagram said:
I’ve not been well with a fever but I also had a road accident in Monaco on Monday night.
Whilst ultimately, it is nobody's business, there are people knowing my position that will try to take advantage of the situation and make a quick buck. NO problem.
Nobody was hurt, which is the most important thing.
But the car was obviously damaged and I made very light contact with a stationary vehicle.

https://instagram.com/p/99kB_8L00w/

Did something weird happen or was it a fender bender?

Aiii

So not worth it
CTi2VpWXAAEXODl.jpg

CTjN9fGWwAEIxuQ.jpg

Just another GP weekend for Lotus.

John_B

Vandorne has been named McLaren test driver.
I'm sure Magnussen is nice enough to let him know how Jenson takes his coffee and a provide him with proverb diagram for Fernando's emotions.

At this point it feels like the future of F1 will be Verstappen versus 20 bags of money.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm sure Magnussen is nice enough to let him know how Jenson takes his coffee and a provide him with proverb diagram for Fernando's emotions.

At this point it feels like the future of F1 will be Verstappen versus 20 bags of money.

To be fair, the reason Vandoorne (and Magnussen) aren't driving is because they locked themselves into contracts with McLaren, not because paydrivers exist.

John_B

To be fair, the reason Vandoorne (and Magnussen) aren't driving is because they locked themselves into contracts with McLaren, not because paydrivers exist.
They signed those contracts because they didn't have the money to buy any seats. Magnussen is out purely on being from a small country with no backers.

Vandoorne will be out as well if not offered a seat in 2017.

Aiii

So not worth it
Every up and coming driver, no matter how much talent, has to pay money to drive. Racing is a costly hobby. Magnussen en Vandoorne had talent, so they got a young drivers contract.

It still doesn't change the fact that they're currently not in other teams because they're exclusive to McLaren.

Magnussen only got released from that contract last month, well after most teams had their 2016 line-ups in the bag. Only Manor is left.

John_B

I'm pretty sure that Magnussen has been in talks with any F1 team that signed new drivers for 2016.

Not every driver will be able to find the amount of money that Palmer did. If F1 does not make an effort to retain the talent it will hurt the sport. Maldonado and Palmer might be entertaining for other reasons, but we could have had Magnussen and Vandoorne racing instead.

Jezbollah

It sounds like Magnusson has been doing little this year - by his comments from the Porsche test.

There is no way in my mind that I dont see Vandoorne pounding the mileage around Motegi in a mongrel car fitted with all sorts of Honda F1 engines. It would make perfect sense to do this and have him compete in Formula Nippon.

As much as you need driving ability in F1 to secure seats you also need to have good connections. One of the reasons why there has been so many finnish drivers despite Finland being small market is that former finnish drivers have helped the new finns to get in F1. Keke Rosberg was the manager of Mika Häkkinen and now Mika Häkkinen is one of the managers of Valtteri Bottas. It's kinda esier to collect money and get seats when in the background you have the connections and reputation of former two times world champion.

tomtom94

I can't help but feel that while the pay drivers criticism is still valid, we've made a step forward given that Maldonado and Palmer managed to at least win the GP2 championship (and a race, in the former's case) and we don't have people jumping into cars for a single race and cruising around at a pace normally reserved for snails.

Hell, Yamamoto isn't on the grid any more. Progress!

Zeknurn

They signed those contracts because they didn't have the money to buy any seats. Magnussen is out purely on being from a small country with no backers.

Vandoorne will be out as well if not offered a seat in 2017.

Magnussen brings a lot of money from Saxobank iirc. So I wouldn't say he has no backers.

I can't help but feel that while the pay drivers criticism is still valid, we've made a step forward given that Maldonado and Palmer managed to at least win the GP2 championship (and a race, in the former's case) and we don't have people jumping into cars for a single race and cruising around at a pace normally reserved for snails.

Hell, Yamamoto isn't on the grid any more. Progress!
Didn't it take him like 5 years to win GP2 and wasn't one of his title rivals Bruno Senna or something like that? His win was the most miraculous fluke win I can think of considering that his main competition outside of Alonso was thrown to the back of the grid cause his team fucked up.

I don't like the fact that drivers need sponsorship to drive in F1.

The F1 model should be self sufficient to allow teams to survive and prosper without the need for drivers to buy their way in.

The drivers should be the best of the best, all champions in their own rights from the lower series such as GP2/GP3/FE etc.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like the fact that drivers need sponsorship to drive in F1.

The F1 model should be self sufficient to allow teams to survive and prosper without the need for drivers to buy their way in.

The drivers should be the best of the best, all champions in their own rights from the lower series such as GP2/GP3/FE etc.

Agreed.

4 years, the same as Palmer
God damn. No wonder they won it when they did, they were the most experienced people in the field. Is Palmer...respected as a driver? Sorry I honestly just remember hearing that if you don't win GP2 in at most two years then it really doesn't help your career. I know for comparison sake Hamilton, Rosberg, Hulkenberg and I think Grosjean won it in their first years, granted Grosjean won it after getting dropped by Renault the first time or did he win it before that as well? I read some of his results and he doesn't seem that bad, I really just don't want another Maldonado on the field, granted he's calmed down a bit lately.

Fisico

God damn. No wonder they won it when they did, they were the most experienced people in the field. Is Palmer...respected as a driver? Sorry I honestly just remember hearing that if you don't win GP2 in at most two years then it really doesn't help your career. I know for comparison sake Hamilton, Rosberg, Hulkenberg and I think Grosjean won it in their first years, granted Grosjean won it after getting dropped by Renault the first time or did he win it before that as well? I read some of his results and he doesn't seem that bad, I really just don't want another Maldonado on the field, granted he's calmed down a bit lately.

Only taking full season into account Grosjean did win in his 2nd year, but he raced in GP2 4 different years (2008 2009 2010 2011), going to Renault F1 in 2009 and only driving half the race in 2010.
He finished 4th for his first GP2 season and was a contender for the title in his second season (with Hulkenberg and Petrov) before he left.

For Palmer and Maldonado it was 4 full seasons.
It took almost 5 seasons for Valsechi and 4 for Leimer too.

The way and the time it took is more important than winning the title itself in GP2

I had no idea Grosjean spent that much time in GP2, wow. Yeah I had a feeling people factored in how long it took you to win it into thought. Cause there just seems to be a a bunch of GP2 champs that you never hear from again after they win it, as if they're shunned or something.

Ark

I had no idea Grosjean spent that much time in GP2, wow. Yeah I had a feeling people factored in how long it took you to win it into thought. Cause there just seems to be a a bunch of GP2 champs that you never hear from again after they win it, as if they're shunned or something.

That's because those guys only won the title after all the better drivers moved on up into F1.

DD

Dear God, Mercedes is still bringin new parts. Come on, give a chance to the rest of the field, ffs...

CToVx4wXIAEc6mp.jpg

^ Never heard of such a thing, upon googling them I am now hungry; they look great!

All salgadinhos are great, but above all salgadinhos, a coxinha reign supreme. ლ(´ڡ`ლ)

dubc35

for Wax Free:
Fernando Alonso would be surprised if McLaren does not return to the front of the field next season, such is his belief that the team will turn its fortunes around over the winter.

"If it will be another year of learning and preparing for 2017, it will be sad to do that from the beginning, but that would be a surprise for me if we are not very competitive next year because we have everything and the car is responding well. Aerodynamically we have understood the direction to go and the car is improving. I can see when we are on the track how we are able to attack the corners and how fast we are in the corners, so I am not afraid that next year's car will not be at the top level.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/14112787/fernando-alonso-surprised-mclaren-quick-start-2016

DD

Grid boys to debut in Brazil.

Doesn't bother me at all, I generally don't have time to watch anymore than lights out to maybe post race presser so I only see grid girls/boys lining the hallway at the end.

"the idea was to mirror the modern thinking of "the Brazilian people."

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

HAHAHA

HA-HA

HAH

HA

HUEHUEHUEHUHUHEUHEUHEUHEUHEUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHEHUEHUEHEHUE

DrM

Redmond's Baby
That bulge on Mercedes could be either testing aerodynamic impact of higher noses that will be used in 2016 or new incarnation of S-duct.
The S-duct helps channel air from underneath the car to the top of the nose section to improve the flow, in theory helping the air move faster and therefore increasing downforce.

They will probably run it on FPs and compared the data with their simulator/windtunnel observations

And Lewis apparently hit three parked cars with his Zonda.

Top Bottom