• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

John_B

Very clean lap from Hammer. None of the crazy lock-ups he had last season.

I hope Verstappen isn't pressured too badly by the people around him. If he has the talent it will show in time. He doesn't need to be doing extraordinary things at this point.

Shocking McLaren performance. The car looked pretty stable though. I expect them back when they fix the power.

Jezbollah

Totally, but all they can do is shout. The decision to go with Honda was from above him and unlike with the rest of the car, the team principle can't even change the team involved in the engine, so at best they can just shout a lot and hope it does something.

Ron Dennis is also Chairman and majority owner of the McLaren Technology Group. Yes, the team principle would have accepted the decision from above, but in this case, the person who made the main decision to switch engine supplier is that same person.

Hasney

Ron Dennis is also Chairman and majority owner of the McLaren Technology Group. Yes, the team principle would have accepted the decision from above, but in this case, the person who made the main decision to switch engine supplier is that same person.

I thought Boullier had that position? If it's Ron Dennis then yeah, agree on all points.

Tobias Grüner AMuS ‏@tgruener 9m9 minutes ago
#F1 McLaren said, hot temperatures caused problems. To save power unit Honda had to use "conservative" MGU-K & engine settings.

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 9m9 minutes ago Melbourne, Victoria
Arai-san of @HondaRacingF1: "We could not lose an engine at the first race. Our data set is very conservative for this weekend"

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 8m8 minutes ago Melbourne, Victoria
Arai also made it clear that temperature a big issue this weekend, especially in relation to MGU-K. He knows Malaysia will be tough...

Malaysia is going to be great then.

The Ron Dennis interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqY1WqRH65Q

Pretty downbeat.

Honda not that far behind in top speed:

CAC5sRXUwAADkdk.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
I hope Verstappen isn't pressured too badly by the people around him. If he has the talent it will show in time. He doesn't need to be doing extraordinary things at this point.

I think his Q1 performance shows that he doesn't have too much trouble with pressure. Sure he made a mistake in his fast lap in Q2, but even decade-long experienced drivers make mistakes sometimes.

All in all, the midfield is insanely close, if you look at the Q1 times, there's only .7 between place 3 and 13.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
There are some tweets flying around that Bottas is under question for tomorrow, because he is not feeling well

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Bottas is in a hospital for additional checks. FIA doctors requested that and Williams will decide on Sunday morning if he will race or not.

DBT85

Rumours that Van der Garde is in negotiations with Alonso to swap contracts. Alonso quoted as saying "Not driving for Sauber has got to be more prestigious than driving for McLaren, my people are looking into it. Only is absence can a warrior find tofu".

TCRS

Banned
holy fucking shit mclaren. last... LAST!

merwfslwujja.gif

what an absolute fucking disaster. alonso on suicide watch I swear.

Look like Lewis is in good spirits:

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 27m27 minutes ago Melbourne, Victoria
HAM stood at the back at Toto Wolff's media session, said he was from the Daily Mail, and asked difficult questions about contracts

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 20m20 minutes ago Melbourne, Victoria
HAM to Wolff: "From the Daily Mail, is there any news on the contract?" Wolff: "No news on the contract, to the Daily Mail journalist!"

Deadman

Whilst it is funny to see mclaren be so slow it's bad news for f1. I can't imagine any more engine manufacturers are going to be attracted to f1 for the chance to run around in last place for at least a year because you have so little data and aren't allowed to test properly.

Hackbert

Mhh poor Bottas. he had such backpain, that he is at he hospital to get checked right now. You can see him getting help, climbing out of his car...
1426322673.jpg

source : formel1.de

edit: aaand i am late....

Zeknurn

Joking aside, nobody could step in if needed. Any replacement driver would have needed to have driven during practice or qualifying sessions :/

Well, there's two drivers at McLaren that will have nothing to do in the race. Perhaps they should ask them?

DBT85

Whilst it is funny to see mclaren be so slow it's bad news for f1. I can't imagine any more engine manufacturers are going to be attracted to f1 for the chance to run around in last place for at least a year because you have so little data and aren't allowed to test properly.

Even Renault weren't this bad a year ago. The year delay and limited testing has nothing to do with the McLaren Honda being a shitbox.

Hammer24

Banned
Couple things, don´t know what´s been covered yet:
- Peter Sauber flew in to see what can be salvaged of the situation
- Lauda called her "a icecold bitch"
- HUL said he´s not surprised that situation has arisen - "I´ve been there, so I know what that team is like"
- ROS with break temp/tyre pressure problems, he´s always only getting one of the two working
- Manor software problems: seems like they do have a working software, but are not allowed to use it for "security concerns", they´d need an updated version, hope to race in Malaysia

Staab

Yeah, Bottas looked in pain after quali, hope it's not too serious, back pains can be long to recover from...

stryke

- Manor software problems: seems like they do have a working software, but are not allowed to use it for "security concerns", they´d need an updated version, hope to race in Malaysia

Whatever it is, it looks like they have to explain themselves...

CADNedSUUAAKmxe.jpg

Hammer24

Banned
Whatever it is, it looks like they have to explain themselves...

Interesting! I was under the impression, those "security concerns" were raised by the FIA. If not, there are only two remaining possibilities: either they are real, and have been raised by someone else (PU manufacturer? SW manufacturer); or its a complete smoke screen.

Ark

This is the biggest news of the season. Woah.

Great result from qualy. It's really nice to see Ferrari up there fighting with Williams, and the gap from Rosberg to Hamilton. Wow.

It's also nice to seemingly see Rosberg and Hamilton on better terms, at least publicly, than they were last year. Congratulating each other outside of the car and in the press conference, etc.

stryke

Is this the first race he's done? There's usually a settling in period, but he just seems to get it.

He was great during the whole thing. Although I did learn his favourite word is "ding dong", much like how Brundle doesn't have another word for "dividends", except it's more hilarious.

This is the biggest news of the season. Woah.

Great result from qualy. It's really nice to see Ferrari up there fighting with Williams, and the gap from Rosberg to Hamilton. Wow.

It's also nice to seemingly see Rosberg and Hamilton on better terms, at least publicly, than they were last year. Congratulating each other outside of the car and in the press conference, etc.

It's still very early. Hamilton and Rosberg were super friendly to each other last year. And then Monaco happened.

Mohonky

https://vid.me/YoNt

pole lap with Webber commentary
I wonder if those brake balance settings are preprogrammed in there, like he dials it in the numbers he works out from practice with fine tuning, then they are left in the system so he just presses a button and cycles through them as he goes round the track. I cant imagine having to dial in the number every couple of corners every lap; thats a lot of work to do when you're trying to consider everything else.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I wonder if those brake balance settings are preprogrammed in there, like he dials it in the numbers he works out from practice with fine tuning, then they are left in the system so he just presses a button and cycles through them as he goes round the track. I cant imagine having to dial in the number every couple of corners every lap; thats a lot of work to do when you're trying to consider everything else.

I think that they have several possible brake ratio settings that they can access on the fly...
also very interesting wheel/display setting at Williams - they have screen mounted on chassis and not on the wheel

Top Bottom