• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Question:
What the best way to follow the F1 season coverage online?
I know the NBC Sports LiveExtra has a fair bit of it, but I really want to get into it this year.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Question:
What the best way to follow the F1 season coverage online?
I know the NBC Sports LiveExtra has a fair bit of it, but I really want to get into it this year.

I used weekend passes on Sky UK via Now TV. Unfortunately, you have to use a VPN to disable the region lock.

RoKKeR

Yes to this thread title. Pumped to see Haas in the running! Hope Williams can move past their perpetual 3 spot but I know they won't.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I don't really understand the Tag Heuer Renault PU. It's a Renault PU why not just call it that? When it's utter shit will RB complain to Tag Heuer?

Only engine base will be the same, everything else (MGU-K, ERS...) will be different compared to Renault factory PU. At least so rumors told

dubc35

Only engine base will be the same, everything else (MGU-K, ERS...) will be different compared to Renault factory PU. At least so rumors told

That makes a little more sense I guess. It's still an odd situation.

Aiii

So not worth it
Max has won Rookie of the year, Action of the year and Personality of the year at the FIA awards.

Jezbollah

How does that work given that all power units next season will have to be of the same specification?

Aiii

So not worth it
This award should go to Ricciardo every year untill he retires.

12289467_1093475167344108_39729779168976608_n.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
How does that work given that all power units next season will have to be of the same specification?
As I said in my previous post, that was a rumor that RBR is developing their own version of MGU-K and ERS. Maybe with all mumbojumbo around engines RBR decided to use Renault PU, only with TAG name? We need more concrete infos.

Jezbollah

As I said in my previous post, that was a rumor that RBR is developing their own version of MGU-K and ERS. Maybe with all mumbojumbo around engines RBR decided to use Renault PU, only with TAG name? We need more concrete infos.

After looking around it looks like the only Renault component used will be the ICU, with everything else either developed in house or outsourced by RB. As such it will be homologated as a "new" power unit completely separate from the unit built by Renault, and as such free from both specification regulations and also providing "Tag" with a separate allocation of Tokens for development.

I'm looking forward to 2016. Ferrari should be closer to Mercedes and I expect McLaren to be much further up. Borderline podiums from race 1. Sauber scored some points which should have got them a decent chunk of cash and we know they can design an effective car when they want to. I think Manor will raise a few eyebrows if they have some decent drivers, too. I see Williams, Force India and Torro Rosso stagnating and Haas/Renault to do poorly. Red Bull will come on strong later in the season.

Fennec

I'm looking forward to 2016. Ferrari should be closer to Mercedes and I expect McLaren to be much further up. Borderline podiums from race 1. Sauber scored some points which should have got them a decent chunk of cash and we know they can design an effective car when they want to. I think Manor will raise a few eyebrows if they have some decent drivers, too. I see Williams, Force India and Torro Rosso stagnating and Haas/Renault to do poorly. Red Bull will come on strong later in the season.

Except for their very first season back in the seventies, Renault as a team never did poorly. Their car will be solid next year, you can be sure of that. All they need is Maldonado to finally step the fu*k up his game. He already won a race, he is fast. All he has to do is to stay focus from the first minute of the practice to the final lap of a race.

After looking around it looks like the only Renault component used will be the ICU, with everything else either developed in house or outsourced by RB. As such it will be homologated as a "new" power unit completely separate from the unit built by Renault, and as such free from both specification regulations and also providing "Tag" with a separate allocation of Tokens for development.

That's against the rules? No way the other teams / engine manufacturers allow this to happen, this TAG Heuer PU is a 2016 Renault PU. All development will have to be done by Renault with one pot of tokens.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So no in season engine development next year right? engines are frozen at the beginning of the year?

Still token based, like this year, but some parts are frozen (manufactures spent tokens on that stuff this year)

UK F1 TV viewing figures drop to eight year low.

BBC average: 3.11m -> lowest ratings since their return
Sky average 638.000 -> 19.3 % down compare to 2014

Combined Average: 3.75m -> 6.7 % down compare to 2014

- TV ratings on 8 year low
- Most watched race: Canadian GP (5.35 m)
- Least watched race: Abu Dhabi GP (2.61 m)

https://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/2015/12/05/uk-f1-viewing-figures-drop-to-seven-year-low/

FOM and TATA have been testing an online streaming app:

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 - 12:14 pm

Tata Communications has completed another successful proof of concept with Formula One Management during a recent Grand Prix. The new technology test delivered a live trackside feed from the Singapore track to Formula One Management’s Technical HQ in Biggin Hill, UK – with no time lag between the live broadcast and the footage viewed on the app.

Just need to wait until 2020 before they offer a full GP weekend streaming package.

Zeknurn

I have been thinking about going back and watching some older seasons too. Lets say I have access to every season from 1978 to 2010, what are some good seasons to watch?

Mohonky

I don't really understand the Tag Heuer Renault PU. It's a Renault PU why not just call it that? When it's utter shit will RB complain to Tag Heuer?

It's basically this;

RBR don't want to invest from scratch to develop their own PU but they are unhappy with the Renault PU. The base unit will essentially be a Renault unit, however RBR have been heavily involved in modifying and redesigning the unit in house through their own engineering department. The unit maybe Renault at it's core, but it is a heavily reworked version by RBR's own engineers.

The disagreement or at least lengthy delay in announcing the unit came from licensing and proprietary; basically a case of at what point is it a Renault and at what point is it RBR's own unit as obviously RBR don't want to be designing the unit only for Renault to use it elsewhere.

In a sense it's the Renault unit tweaked to RBR's own specification while some other components are being designed and built entirely by RBR so it's no longer really a Renault unit. They will still be buying Renault PU's, but by the time you factor in the work RBR's own engineers put in and the number of additional components RBR will be manufacturing for it, it's no longer really a Renault PU as RBR have heavily invested in it and it's specifications as per their own engineers.

As a result RBR did not want it to be labelled a Renault, but it's not exactly RBR either, so it's in bit of a middle ground.

UK F1 TV viewing figures drop to eight year low.

BBC average: 3.11m -> lowest ratings since their return
Sky average 638.000 -> 19.3 % down compare to 2014

Combined Average: 3.75m -> 6.7 % down compare to 2014

- TV ratings on 8 year low
- Most watched race: Canadian GP (5.35 m)
- Least watched race: Abu Dhabi GP (2.61 m)

https://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/2015/12/05/uk-f1-viewing-figures-drop-to-seven-year-low/

FOM and TATA have been testing an online streaming app:

Just need to wait until 2020 before they offer a full GP weekend streaming package.
Shocking average figures for Sky considering half the BBC is highlights. What was the point of the Sky deal?

Yes Christian, because you have been so happy lately as well, lol. I bet Ronbo is pissed but it's ok because that major title sponsor announcement is (not) coming soon.

Renault hate Red Bull, don't want their name associated (they get the negative press and Red Bull gets the positive press when they won).

It has gone as far as buying out the Lotus team and becoming a works team. I doubt they will supply their PU to other teams. It was just a save-Red-Bull-from-leaving-F1-after-all-other-options-failed.

In other news, Sauber might be Honda-powered in 2017.

Alonso testing an improved Honda PU this Sunday:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVjj7fjWcAAqPFr.jpg:large

Anything is better than the shitbox in the Mclaren.

Staab

Shocking average figures for Sky considering half the BBC is highlights. What was the point of the Sky deal?

The rights alone cost about £25m annually for Sky, the minimum package to watch Sky F1 is, what, 25£ give or take ?
If you multiply by 640'000, times 12 and assume 10% of that is dedicated to F1, that doesn't even come close to covering the costs of their coverage... no idea how they do it :p

sam777

The rights alone cost about £25m annually for Sky, the minimum package to watch Sky F1 is, what, 25£ give or take ?
If you multiply by 640'000, times 12 and assume 10% of that is dedicated to F1, that doesn't even come close to covering the costs of their coverage... no idea how they do it :p

I guess you have to factor in ad money as well. Plus the loss of the Champiuons league rights.

andshrew

I think you actually need Sky Sports now (maybe original customers are still getting it with just the HD package), so you're looking at nearer £45 a month.

Reading above about FOM testing live streams, I can't even begin to imagine how much they would try to charge for that given they charge £20+ a year just for live timing data!

Top Bottom