• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Goldrusher

That wouldn't be so bad if they had a good livery.
Remember 2005 and 2006 when Renault replaced Mild Seven with some artwork wherever tobacco sponsorship was banned?

Examples...

2005 Belgium:

5524612420_c9b9ab4fb9_b.jpg

2005 Britain:

f1-british-gp-2005-fernando-alonso-and-giancarlo-fisichella-with-playstation-girls-lucy-pi.jpg

2006 Britain:

Fernando_Alonso_2006_Britain.jpg

2006 France:

Fernando_Alonso_2006_France.jpg

2006 Canada:

f1-canadian-gp-2006-renault-new-livery-photoshoot.jpg

2006 Turkey:

alonso_ist_ren_07_cclat.jpg

Remember 2005 and 2006 when Renault replaced Mild Seven with some artwork wherever tobacco sponsorship was banned?

Examples...

Yeah, that is pretty good, but McLaren would never do that, because F1 is serious business and not Cirque du Soleil. Wait, wrong team. Kinda.

Jaguar set to announce Formula E entry next week.

Awesome news. It's going to get more and more exciting as major car brands continue to enter the sport.

Fantastic news.

Zeknurn

It just sucks because the racing should be decent on GOOD tracks too, it's not the tracks producing the good races, it's the cars.

We'll see in Mexico.

Alejandro Agag says there will be two major car manufacturers joining for the 2016-17 season.
“The big manufacturers will come to Formula E, sooner rather than later,” the charismatic Spaniard told Current E editor Ross Ringham on Wednesday, discussing the composition of the Formula E grid. “If you think about it, Renault is one team; DS with Virgin is another team; ABT is flirting with Audi or VW (one of them will go in); you have Mahindra, which is a manufacturer; you have NextEV, which is a manufacturer in development. So you have five.”

More big brands are already signed up, Agag went on to say: “I have another two that I cannot tell yet. So you have seven – there are only three [teams] left so OEMs better hurry up. I think Formula E will have 10 manufacturers in season four.”

Clarifying how OEMs can join the series, Agag explained: “There are no new entrants so they have to go through existing teams. We can only have more when we go from two cars to one car in the race, which looks like will happen in season five. Once that happens, we will have room for two more entries. But we will never have more than 12 teams.”

Hasney

Was Roborace, the AI driven car series that will be a Formula E support race, discussed here/the old thread at all? Don't remember seeing it and I just found out about it today.

Sounds pretty awesome to be honest, can't wait to see what they get out of that.

Zeknurn

In Formula 1 news:
@adamcooperF1: '@pirellisport will take the medium, soft and supersoft to Melbourne, and each driver must save a set of softs & mediums for the race
@ScarbsF1: Pirelli to supply Medium, Soft and SuperSoft for Melbourne, both Medium & Soft must be used in the race, Q on Supersoft thats a 2 stop race

Was Roborace, the AI driven car series that will be a Formula E support race, discussed here/the old thread at all? Don't remember seeing it and I just found out about it today.

Sounds pretty awesome to be honest, can't wait to see what they get out of that.

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see how it develops and what they can do when there's not a human that needs to be protected.

Agag also said that Formula E might feature a driverless element in the future.
"Maybe...(Formula E) cars could drive themselves to the starting grid and the drivers can just walk and do interviews on the way," Agag told Reuters when asked about potential crossover between Roborace and his main series.

"I think that is a transfer we could organize quite soon, actually," he added.

"I kind of just came up with it but...the cars could just go and place themselves on the grid and then we start the race. This is the kind of technology every car will have in the future," he added.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...U13G20151211?feedType=RSS&feedName=sportsNews

Indeed. Who cares if the tracks are dull when the racing is good.

Just goes to show utterly misguided the plans for the future of F1 is. Who gives a flying fuck whether the cars have 1000hp or can go 5 seconds faster when the aero is so complicated nobody can get anywhere near close enough to overtake.

GKB

It's still a plan, of the 15 million euro that Manor requested, they only have 5 Million euro ready. The Minister of Youth Affairs and Sport is still trying to raise the rest from state-owned enterprises.

Kind of happy there's a possibility of Indonesian F1 driver, but 15 million euro is a lot of money and it's not like Manor gets plenty of air time during races.

What do you guys think of Rio? I think he's average, his best result is 4th in his 4th year.

DD

It's still a plan, of the 15 million euro that Manor requested, they only have 5 Million euro ready. The Minister of Youth Affairs and Sport is still trying to raise the rest from state-owned enterprises.

Kind of happy there's a possibility of Indonesian F1 driver, but 15 million euro is a lot of money and it's not like Manor gets plenty of air time during races.

What do you guys think of Rio? I think he's average, his best result is 4th in his 4th year.

He seems on par with the three Manor drivers this year. And It might seem interesting to F1 to have an Indonesian driver, given the huge population they have. His name sounds like some Japanese fighting game character.

Aiii

So not worth it

With Merc coming in, they are likely to be at least a tiny bit competitive next year. Might not be last every time, might get close to Sauber and McLaren.

Jezbollah

One of these gentlemen is a pretty unconvincing actor, playing someone who attempts to dress up in rather shoddy looking attire, attempting to convince people that he's "street" and pretending he was brought up in the ghetto, where in reality he came from quiet suburbia.

CV8eBM9WwAALfAm.jpg

The other guy is Borat

One of these gentlemen is a pretty unconvincing actor, playing someone who attempts to dress up in rather shoddy looking attire, attempting to convince people that he's "street" and pretending he was brought up in the ghetto, where in reality he came from quiet suburbia.

CV8eBM9WwAALfAm.jpg

The other guy is Borat

Love Sacha.. he's brilliant

Jezbollah

Looks insane, wonder what the cars would look like of the gloves came off with the F1 design rules.

Am assuming something like this

Just throwing a speculative link out there...

Red Bull had their F1 concept car in Gran Turismo 6. Is McLaren buddying up with Polyphony for their concept car in GT7?

Polyphony need to suck up to McLaren for their full Senna tribute on PS4 and the use of their classic F1 cars.

I expect the MP4-X to be in GT Sport.

Sony / Gran Turismo will be a McLaren sponsor next year. Book it!

Yagami_Sama

Kind of off topic, but I watching a Formula E documentary on National Geographic Channel, and they were showing how the cars were assembled I saw that the “MCU” a few team uses, have a Mclaren Tag on it and I got quite surprised . Later in the same documentary a member of the mclaren applied technology team, gave some explanations about their technology.
So the idea of they joining this championship ,start to sound plausible.

Maybe this is well know from everyone here, sorry for this, but Formula E did not appeal to me, but maybe I should give a try next season.

And as a side note I thought : “Why they doing a deal with Honda instead of trying to develop their own “F1 Engine” ?

Jezbollah

Kind of off topic, but I watching a Formula E documentary on National Geographic Channel, and they were showing how the cars were assembled I saw that the “MCU” a few team uses, have a Mclaren Tag on it and I got quite surprised . Later in the same documentary a member of the mclaren applied technology team, gave some explanations about their technology.
So the idea of they joining this championship ,start to sound plausible.

Maybe this is well know from everyone here, sorry for this, but Formula E did not appeal to me, but maybe I should give a try next season.

And as a side note I thought : “Why they doing a deal with Honda instead of trying to develop their own “F1 Engine” ?

McLaren Applied Technologies is a subsidiary of the McLaren group - they manufacturer parts for every F1 team - including engine control units - and also supply engine control units to Indycar and NASCAR teams. I dont see them racing stock cars anytime soon :)

mclem

Just throwing a speculative link out there...

Red Bull had their F1 concept car in Gran Turismo 6. Is McLaren buddying up with Polyphony for their concept car in GT7?

You never know, by the time GT7 comes out they might have made a fast car again.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ricciardo about beating Mercedes in 2016
The Australian does not see the situation changing dramatically next year.

When asked during the Perth Street Fest event in his hometown how far ahead Mercedes was, Ricciardo said: "Too far. I honestly think they increased the gap this year.

"Ferrari caught up a little bit, but I think in general when [Mercedes] wanted to turn it on they could."

He also thinks that 2016 should be better for RBR. More on Autosport.

Top Bottom