• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Aiii

So not worth it
Anyone who thinks Maldonado is terrible and paydrivers suck would do well to remember Ricardo Rosset.

The 1998 season was another unsuccessful one for Rosset, leading to a joke from Martin Brundle, who, upon Murray Walker's suggestion that people were debating whether Rosset was F1 quality, he remarked "it's a fairly short debate". Also, after severely damaging his car in qualifying at the 1998 Monaco Grand Prix and receiving a warning from the stewards, his furious mechanics switched the first and last letters of his surname on his paddock scooter to form the word "tosser".

Please remember Ricardo Rosset and be glad that the current crop of paydrivers are, at least, somewhat decent drivers that can keep pace. We used to have guys like Rosset, who were essentially Carmen Jorda, but with actual driving positions.

Anyone who thinks Maldonado is terrible and paydrivers suck would do well to remember Ricardo Rosset.

The 1998 season was another unsuccessful one for Rosset, leading to a joke from Martin Brundle, who, upon Murray Walker's suggestion that people were debating whether Rosset was F1 quality, he remarked "it's a fairly short debate". Also, after severely damaging his car in qualifying at the 1998 Monaco Grand Prix and receiving a warning from the stewards, his furious mechanics switched the first and last letters of his surname on his paddock scooter to form the word "tosser".

Please remember Ricardo Rosset and be glad that the current crop of paydrivers are, at least, somewhat decent drivers that can keep pace. We used to have guys like Rosset, who were essentially Carmen Jorda, but with actual driving positions.

HAHA! They did it on Prupose!!

Classic

EDIT: just watched the video.. LOOL

tomtom94

I feel Maldonado could be the next De Cesaris.

...key word COULD.

Omiee

so are we looking at another domination by mercedes next year? Has a team ever been as dominating as mercedes was this year? apart from the ferrari days?

Niftyartwork

Neo Member
j8tELzL

Earlier today: Lewis Hamilton's F1 car parked outside Grand Connaught Rooms, London.

Wish I was there to see it!

If you watch the famous Spa '98 crash again, you'll see Rosset be one of the last guys on the scene, and plow into the pile with zero fucks given. It always makes me roar with laughter.

He's easily on the all-time worst list.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Remember Yuji Ide.

dubc35

No, not with a fixed Honda PU, it will be a ding-dong battle between the McLarens and Mercedes all season long.

Genuinely curious and not hating, do you really believe McLaren will be battling for wins next year?

I like McLaren, Ronbo is a knucklehead, but overall I like the team and want them to do well. I just don't see them turning it around that much next year.

Addnan

Genuinely curious and not hating, do you really believe McLaren will be battling for wins next year?

I like McLaren, Ronbo is a knucklehead, but overall I like the team and want them to do well. I just don't see them turning it around that much next year.
He's like the longest running mclaren troll here.

Yagami_Sama

If you watch the famous Spa '98 crash again, you'll see Rosset be one of the last guys on the scene, and plow into the pile with zero fucks given. It always makes me roar with laughter.

He's easily on the all-time worst list.

That race was fantastic. That season was the very first I watched, at least was the year I started enjoying F1.

Michael Schumacher trying to invade Mclaren box, was a very unique scene. Angry Shumacher , always provided unique scenes.

I really need to find a way to watch this season again. 1998 and 1999 Mclaren was gorgeous, Mika Hakkinen, was the very first driver I wished to be a champion. Good times.

And as a Mclaren fan, I am failing to expect great things for the next season. I hope they do better than this one, but I think fight for podium might be just a “dream”.

Zaru

That race was fantastic. That season was the very first I watched, at least was the year I started enjoying F1.

Michael Schumacher trying to invade Mclaren box, was a very unique scene. Angry Shumacher , always provided unique scenes.

I really need to find a way to watch this season again. 1998 and 1999 Mclaren was gorgeous, Mika Hakkinen, was the very first driver I wished to be a champion. Good times.

And as a Mclaren fan, I am failing to expect great things for the next season. I hope they do better than this one, but I think fight for podium might be just a “dream”.

That was roughly the time when I started watching as well.
Looking back at the statistics, Schumacher got so close so many times. Switched to Ferrari as a double champion. Could've won 1997 and 1998 in the last race, could've won 99 if not for that injury (I mean if IRVINE almost beat Häkkinen...).
He was almost going to be prototype Alonso if it hadn't been for those 5 years afterwards.

NHale

Mercedes seems really worried about Ferrari. Complained at Abu Dhabi about Haas partnership even though everyone knew about the windtunnel "sharing" since last year, now the engineer that jumped ship trying to block the move not the document sharing (the knowledge on his head is much higher than what is rumored to be "accessed" by him).

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes seems really worried about Ferrari. Complained at Abu Dhabi about Haas partnership even though everyone knew about the windtunnel "sharing" since last year, now the engineer that jumped ship trying to block the move not the document sharing (the knowledge on his head is much higher than what is rumored to be "accessed" by him).
In a close tech race you do everything to block moves that could bring advantage to your competitor.

Trying to help a friend out with a grad school paper, I was wondering what the sources were for the customer engine prices that were posted in this thread?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
More on Hoyle-Mercedes lawsuit . Read for some interesting insight on how strict teams are with data
"When Mr Hoyle's former line manager, Owen Jones, approached Mr Hoyle's desk where the race report was visible on Mr Hoyle's laptop, Mr Hoyle disconnected the cable supplying power to the laptop, thereby shutting down the laptop. Mr Hoyle did this in an attempt to conceal his wrongdoing.”

This incident triggered a major investigation that ultimately involved 167 man hours of HPP personnel time, as well as input from two forensic computer analysis firms, Stroz Freidberg and CCL.

I guess this is as good a place to ask as any, but.. is MS recovering at all? I've seen nothing on his health in months and last I've seen things didn't look too good :(

Aiii

So not worth it
I guess this is as good a place to ask as any, but.. is MS recovering at all? I've seen nothing on his health in months and last I've seen things didn't look too good :(

They're somewhat pretending he's getting better (I believe they said he blinks, or something).

In reality, he's probably as close to a vegetable as you can get without actually being braindead. I doubt you'll ever hear any close details until he passes away.

dubc35

No major driver changes so at least he's helping out with the lack of silly season this year.

I searched around for testing dates and got conflicting results. It looks like there were originally 3 tests, then 2, now maybe 3 again with an artificial wet weather (Bernie!) test?

T1: January 25-26, Paul Ricard (Wet-weather running)
T2: February 22-25, Barcelona
T3: March 1-4, Barcelona

i am hoping 2016 is not kimi's last season he certainly deserves another duel with the likes of alonso and another shot at the wdc....

Yes.

The 100% pure Peter P car is already over a second faster than this year's half breed according to McLaren, so when combined with the massive gains from the fixed PU, this team will be winning races next year.

The Times says the BBC and The Demon Headmaster are in negotiations.

Highlights package for TV, Live coverage for Radio.

tomtom94

Renault and Honda will be battling over scraps at the back of the field next season*, possibly with Sauber as well depending on how good their car is. Hope of anything otherwise is delusional.

*Admittedly they'll both probably be in front of Manor, for the first half of the season at least.

ElTorro

Also, all the other teams never make any progress and gain no pace with their new cars whatsoever, which is why Honda's engine development caught up to them so easily this year, and which is why McLaren will surely overtake them next year.

dubc35

Also, all the other teams never make any progress and gain no pace with their new cars whatsoever, which is why Honda's engine development caught up to them so easily this year, and which is why McLaren will surely overtake them next year.
Yep, the main reason I'm doubtful. It assumes the other teams are not developing. If it was 2017, with more changes in the formula, it would be more believable IMO but not year 3-4 of a formula utterly dominated by one team.

ElTorro

Yep, the main reason I'm doubtful. It assumes the other teams are not developing. If it was 2017, with more changes in the formula, it would be more believable IMO but not year 3-4 of a formula utterly dominated by one team.

I mean, there is obviously more potential for improvement the more you are behind. But the fact that Ferrari believes there is so much untapped potential in the current technical ruleset that they are basically going to build a new car instead of doing a straight evolution, as well as the fact that even Mercedes found a lot of pace with this year's car compared to last year's already dominant car, should make us very skeptical about how easy it will be to outperform the top teams in the development race.

DD

Red Bull is already considering 2016 as a year of transition, and McLaren expects to be up with Force India. So I believe that none of them is going to surprise anybody...

i am hoping 2016 is not kimi's last season he certainly deserves another duel with the likes of alonso and another shot at the wdc....

I like you and your name rocks.

It will be Kimi's last year unfortunately, and he will win the WDC. Don't worry

I'm a big Kimi fan, but I wouldn't say he "deserves" anything after his performances in the last two seasons.

Have to agree. But, don't make me repeat myself all the time. Next year is his year. I'm betting a 1 week ban on that

Anybody else miss the V10 years with teams like Minardi, BAR, Arrows, Prost that really added character to the paddock instead of just, you know, being there.. to kind of be test teams for the big dogs.. F1 really hasn't felt the same for almost a decade now, but this last season was really outstanding in how, I don't know how to put it but, boring it felt?

Top Bottom