• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

If you don't think Florence has an amazing voice, you're just wrong and need to completely reevaluate your standards. She may not have the Best Voice Of All Time, but she has a fucking great voice.

Oh - I'm not saying she has a bad voice. Not at all. But she needs to develop a bit of subtlety. She has a tendency to rush into the banshee wailing when she's performing live. And that extremely heavy vibrato she has can become a bit grating.

This is why some of my favorite live performances of hers are when she's covering other people's songs.

botty

Banned
If you don't think Florence has an amazing voice, you're just wrong and need to completely reevaluate your standards. She may not have the Best Voice Of All Time, but she has a fucking great voice.

She can sing better than most, but do you honestly think she is the voice of the "new generation"?

Mau ®

At least she can sing.

I know sis.

And really I tried to gin into her because of you. Someone who stans Godplay surely must stan other amazing acts... oh well.

Where is that Princess of China video btw... not here for another Take Care situation where it comes out a month after it was scheduled. This single should've come out ages ago... ch...
rih16.gif

Sai-kun

Banned
Oh - I'm not saying she has a bad voice. Not at all. But she needs to develop a bit of subtlety. She has a tendency to rush into the banshee wailing when she's performing live. And that extremely heavy vibrato she has can become a bit grating.

This is why some of my favorite live performances of hers are when she's covering other people's songs.

Her cover of Take Care was really good, I thought.

She can sing better than most, but do you honestly think she is the voice of the "new generation"?

That's such a ridiculous title I don't even know what it means. She is absolutely at the forefront of a new wave of pop princesses though.

Now Little Boots, La Roux, and Marina need to make it big here and the square of Britpop LIFE will be complete.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think that being 'the voice of the generation' is more than just having a 'good' voice (biggest range, strongest, whatever) to be honest.

Like that's kind of my problem with a lot of reality TV talent contests. What you end up is a crowdsourced 'good voice' that's very middle of the road. You'd never get a Thom Yorke or a Kate Bush or a Nina Simone or a Björk out of it, and those are probably the most striking singers I can think of off the top of my head.

Trigger

A lot of singers with powerful voices tends to have this problem. Probably because smaller subtle notes aren't always exciting.

Peru

Now Little Boots, La Roux, and Marina need to make it big here and the square of Britpop LIFE will be complete.

Three endlessly boring artists. At least Little Boots is sympathetic as a person, though. But for real, the 'rise' of british synth pop girls was one of the most offensive hype trains I've witnessed since the result was so BLAND.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Three endlessly boring artists. At least Little Boots is sympathetic as a person, though. But for real, the 'rise' of british synth pop girls was one of the most offensive hype trains I've witnessed since the result was so BLAND.

I thought La Roux and Little Boots were good.

royalan

I think that being 'the voice of the generation' is more than just having a 'good' voice (biggest range, strongest, whatever) to be honest.

Like that's kind of my problem with a lot of reality TV talent contests. What you end up is a crowdsourced 'good voice' that's very middle of the road. You'd never get a Thom Yorke or a Kate Bush or a Nina Simone or a Björk out of it, and those are probably the most striking singers I can think of off the top of my head.

I agree with this entire post, but especially the bolded. It's pretty much my response when people take issue with Xtina carrying that torch for her generation
hi Mumei <3 <3 <3

I agree. Well, La Roux atleast has that shrill tone that enables to occasionally put out something interesting. I'm over her one-note delivery and "If you've heard one song you've heard them all" delivery, though.

botty

Banned
When I think... "Voice of a generation":

tumblr_lza9a64xuK1qfj59do2_250.gif

tumblr_lfm8ubEe201qfzf2to1_400.gif

tumblr_lqwjsdqLyH1qj0ua1o1_500.gif

You know.. girls who actual have amazing vocal skills. They can slay us with power ballads, do the pop thing, and are recognized by other legends who came before them.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I agree with this entire post, but especially the bolded. It's pretty much my response when people take issue with Xtina carrying that torch for her generation
hi Mumei <3 <3 <3

Well, I actually think that Xtina has exactly that kind of middle of the road voice to be honest. It's a good voice but to my ears there's nothing that exciting about it. It'll never move me like any of the singers I mentioned.

royalan

Well, I actually think that Xtina has exactly that kind of middle of the road voice to be honest. It's a good voice but to my ears there's nothing that exciting about it. It'll never move me like any of the singers I mentioned.

Some minor technical issues aside, I think Christina still has a pretty damn impressive voice. Very few chicks in the game can sing like her. But to me, what really puts her over-the-top into "voice of the generation" territory is her interpretive ability, versatility, and the fact that she debuted at a time when pretty much no other pop starlet was SINGING.

Sai-kun

Banned

for real? jesus

you have the worst opinions. Hands is one of the best albums of 2009, and still one of the best albums in recent years. I can see how people could dislike La Roux's album, but I like Elly's voice a lot.

The Family Jewels is hands down another one of the best pop albums of recent years. It has ONE objectively bad song (I Am Not A Robot), and the rest is amazing. Again though, I can see how people might not like Marina's voice even though she's a great singer.

(i am not a robot is the worst song of all times)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Some minor technical issues aside, I think Christina still has a pretty damn impressive voice. Very few chicks in the game can sing like her. But to me, what really puts her over-the-top into "voice of the generation" territory is her interpretive ability, versatility, and the fact that she debuted at a time when pretty much no other pop starlet was SINGING.

See, I don't necessarily see 'versatility' as a positive thing. I see it as a 'jack of all trades master of none' kind of deal. But, diff'rent strokes, etc.

Should I have put Rihanna over Xtina?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9vfGaPIKQM

Mau ®

Should I have put Rihanna over Xtina?

Uh?

Us Navy are not delusional into thinking our fave has a voice right up there with Whit, Moo or Xtina.

But Xtina is not the voice of the generation. The title would go to Beyonce in any case, who is about as talented and has higher comercial success to back it up.

I mean just because Celine Dion called Xtina the voice of the generation dont mean she is. I can find pretty whack quotes from Celine tbh lol.

Majmun

Did you just call La Roux boring?

I...I...I...

CAN'T DEAL WITH THAT

LeQGI.gif

How could you? La Roux is one of the best new artist of the last few years. Their debut is flawless. All the songs are classics. You just can't hate on that.

I wonder if godelsmetric has seen them live.

il7z42k75VpUJ.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Did you just call La Roux boring?

I...I...I...

CAN'T DEAL WITH THAT

LeQGI.gif

How could you? La Roux is one of the best new artist of the last few years. Their debut is flawless. All the songs are classics. You just can't hate on that.

I wonder if godelsmetric has seen them live.

il7z42k75VpUJ.gif

No sis. I'd like to tho. I missed her at Glasto a couple of years ago.

I can't fully shit on a genre like British pop since that includes Lily Allen and Bat For Lashes.

And The Saturdays, and Girls Aloud, and Nicola Roberts.

#FirstWorldOfPop

royalan

See, I don't necessarily see 'versatility' as a positive thing. I see it as a 'jack of all trades master of none' kind of deal. But, diff'rent strokes, etc.

I see versatility as a great thing. It's what truly separates the divas from the wannabes.

Some of the best and most memorable divas in popular radio got to that point because of their versatility and ability cover multiple genres and styles of singing. This is certainly true of greats like Whitney Houston and doubly so for Mariah Carey (undoubtedly the most versatile singer in her class).

But Xtina is not the voice of the generation. The title would go to Beyonce in any case, who is about as talented and has higher comercial success to back it up.

Barely higher commercial success.

Besides, Xtina had already debuted as a solo artist and was going 10x platinum before Beyonce really started to take off.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I see versatility as a great thing. It's what truly separates the divas from the wannabes.

Some of the best and most memorable divas in popular radio got to that point because of their versatility and ability cover multiple genres and styles of singing. This is certainly true of greats like Whitney Houston and doubly so for Mariah Carey (undoubtedly the most versatile singer of her class).

Well this is just my point...those are not the singers who send chills up my spine. Moreso Whitney than either Mariah or Xtina but tbh none of them give me thrills in my balls like Thom Yorke can.

I see it as a bit like the difference between like one of those wanky 'virtuoso' guitarists who I'm told is amazing and a guitarist who I actually think is amazing, like Jack White. I'd trade a million 'technically great' for a single 'interesting' tbh.

botty

Banned
Uh?

Us Navy are not delusional into thinking our fave has a voice right up there with Whit, Moo or Xtina.

I mean just because Celine Dion called Xtina the voice of the generation dont mean she is. I can find pretty whack quotes from Celine tbh lol.

Celine Isn't The Only One

Trigger

Well this is just my point...those are not the singers who send chills up my spine. Moreso Whitney than either Mariah or Xtina but tbh none of them give me thrills in my balls like Thom Yorke can.

I see it as a bit like the difference between like one of those wanky 'virtuoso' guitarists who I'm told is amazing and a guitarist who I actually think is amazing, like Jack White. I'd trade a million 'technically great' for a single 'interesting' tbh.

H6H8B.gif

I don't know anything about this Yorke fellow, but I dig Jack White.

royalan

I agree with you. In fact most of my faves would be scoffed at if we were talking straight up clean and pure technical ability.

Billie Holiday - Consider by countless critics to be the best Jazz vocalist of all time on pure interpretive ability alone, because her range and technical ability weren't the most impressive, especially as she got older.

Janis Joplin - One of my top 5 faves and a GREAT vocalist, although not a technically clean one.

Amazing new remix that's spreading like wildfire on all the blogs:

Björk - Virus (Hudson Mohawke Peaches and Guacamole Rework)

A downtempo, moody electronic remix from a hot shit wunderkind. Listen!

There's never a bad time for Björk love.

LyYqL.gif

My thoughts ~exactly~, though Yorke doesn't really give me thrills in my balls.

Also: Antony Hegarty, Karin Dreijer Andersson, etc etc etc the list goes on.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
My thoughts ~exactly~, though Yorke doesn't really give me thrills in my balls.

Also: Antony Hegarty, Karin Dreijer Andersson, etc etc etc the list goes on.

Oh, yeah, these two as well.

Amazing new remix that's spreading like wildfire on all the blogs:

Björk - Virus (Hudson Mohawke Peaches and Guacamol Rework)

A downtempo, moody electronic remix from two hot shit wunderkinds. Listen!

There's never a bad time for Björk love.

Holy crap this is FLAW FREE.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Jeff Buckley :´´´(

GOD White :)))))

Godel... I dont mind your Rihanna shading when you have such amazing taste tbh.

tumblr_m3ao0mFOjJ1r0qmqfo2_500.gif

Sis I don't even hate Rihanna that much, she's just kind of an easy target. There's no artistes I actually dislike tbh. Tho I do tend to find those big American R&B and balladeers a bit tedious *.*

Mumei

The Aretha Tribute? Gurl...that performance only really showed how dull Florence's vocals become when she has to share the stage.

That was actually really interesting to me.

I thought that everyone - not just Christina and JHud, but Yolanda and Martina, too - sounded louder and clearer than her. She just doesn't seem nearly as well projected or powerful as she does when she's alone.

I think of all of them, Martina actually surprised me the most. Yolanda was the best, though.

hi Mumei <3 <3 <3

But I don't think she has those other things you talk about - short of versatility, where she sings incorrectly in lots of genres instead of just one or two.

Beyonce still has a better claim for that title this generation. The stuff that you normally bring up about her - her mic reverb being turned up too much, her indulgent runs (which aren't 1/10th as messy or random as Christina's), her diction, her intonation - aren't half as bad as Christina's issues in those exact same areas and more to boot.

All that over singing must be why her voice is so tarnished now.

tumblr_llbqylAAtN1qddfro.gif

All amusing Rihanna shade aside, that is not something a Christina stan has any room to talk about with the damage she's done to her voice through poor technique.

I agree with you. In fact most of my faves would be scoffed at if we were talking straight up clean and pure technical ability.

Billie Holiday - Consider by countless critics to be the best Jazz vocalist of all time on pure interpretive ability alone, because her range and technical ability weren't the most impressive, especially as she got older.

Janis Joplin - One of my top 5 faves and a GREAT vocalist, although not a technically clean one.

Wasn't Billie a big band singer before her vocal damage and she lost her voice? I was talking to Leona how it would have been interesting if Whitney had been able to shift to that sort of more interpretive singer in a similar manner, since she had always had wonderful interpretive ability and she simply was never going to be the singer she was even in the late 1990s again.

Oh, and, Jeff Buckley. Voice of a generation right there. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3adFWKE9JE

Isn't a patch on his father tbh.

royalan

But I don't think she has those other things you talk about - short of versatility, where she sings incorrectly in lots of genres instead of just one or two.

Beyonce still has a better claim for that title this generation. The stuff that you normally bring up about her - her mic reverb being turned up too much, her indulgent runs (which aren't 1/10th as messy or random as Christina's), her diction, her intonation - aren't half as bad as Christina's issues in those exact same areas and more to boot.

Now you know the bolded is just flat out incorrect. We've been here before where I've posted plenty of videos of her singing different genres competently. Videos of her singing entire songs in her lower register. Videos of her doing on-the-spot improvisation. And yes, even videos of her performing competent belts. This is an old dance.

The deficiencies in her vocal technique have been soundly clocked (even by me). But you can't take everything away from her. That would just be baseless hate. At some point you just have to acknowledged the music, regardless of whether or not the singer's technique is 100% classically correct.

And Beyonce, as good of a vocalist as she is, didn't debut as a solo artist the same time as Christina, nor were her vocals even on the same plane at the time (although they certainly did improve).

Wasn't Billie a big band singer before her vocal damage and she lost her voice? I was talking to Leona how it would have been interesting if Whitney had been able to shift to that sort of more interpretive singer in a similar manner, since she had always had wonderful interpretive ability and she simply was never going to be the singer she was even in the late 1990s again.

She was. But she always had very quiet, whispy vocals.

Didn't someone make a topic saying Florence was the "voice of the new generation." I couldn't even post in that thread...

I mean, they even posted a video as evidence.

They posted a "Take Care" cover as receipts. I didn't think you could make a Rihanna song worse, but I see the error of my ways.

It's amazing how Beyonce's vocals have grown so much since Destiny's Child. I hate listening to DC. Beyonce's vocals reminded me of Brandy a lot :/

Beyonce now though? Ridikilous. Her vocals on 4 are some of the best I've heard ever. And people need to give her more credit for being the ONLY pop act whose live vocals can match her recordings riff for riff. Nobody has ever come close to matching her live vocals. Couple that with pretty difficult choreography (which involves gyrating her diaphram quite a bit) and you've got some phenomenal skills.

Christina Aguilera has a brilliant voice, though not TECHNICALLY masterclass like Beyonce, her intonations and style are timeless. She's had moments as of late where she lets her snarls and runs get the best of her, and she's sounded pretty terrible live recently, but I think she's overall a more nuanced vocalist than she was in her 20s.

I'd put them both in that league of extraordinary singers, just a few notches under Whitney and Mariah. But they still deserve to be in that same conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom