• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and, Jeff Buckley. Voice of a generation right there. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3adFWKE9JE

tumblr_lgh852rGiH1qbtz8h.gif

And people need to give her more credit for being the ONLY pop act whose live vocals can match her recordings riff for riff.
I'm not going to go after Bey, because she's undoubtedly great. But she's hardly the "only" pop act whose live vocals are able to match the studio recordings. And "matching [the] recordings riff for riff" certainly isn't what I'm looking for in a live performer. Some of the greats, like Björk and Chaka, are able to have remarkable, unique performances of major songs in their repertoire every time they're out on stage. And plenty of pop acts, like Robyn, can sound much better singing live than they do on studio versions of their songs.

i made TWO GIFS today

2012-06-0100_06_422br8ij.gif

keephatin6fj9e.gif

i hope you get some USE out of them

yesssss more gifmakers

this can only be a good thing

botty

Banned
It's amazing how Beyonce's vocals have grown so much since Destiny's Child. I hate listening to DC. Beyonce's vocals reminded me of Brandy a lot :/

Beyonce now though? Ridikilous. Her vocals on 4 are some of the best I've heard ever. And people need to give her more credit for being the ONLY pop act whose live vocals can match her recordings riff for riff. Nobody has ever come close to matching her live vocals. Couple that with pretty difficult choreography (which involves gyrating her diaphram quite a bit) and you've got some phenomenal skills.

Christina Aguilera has a brilliant voice, though not TECHNICALLY masterclass like Beyonce, her intonations and style are timeless. She's had moments as of late where she lets her snarls and runs get the best of her, and she's sounded pretty terrible live recently, but I think she's overall a more nuanced vocalist than she was in her 20s.

I'd put them both in that league of extraordinary singers, just a few notches under Whitney and Mariah. But they still deserve to be in that same conversation.

Definitely one of the most insane things I have ever seen in this topic. Yes, beyonce has technique due to years upon years of vocal lessons, but masterclass is an overstatement. Beyonce is not a power house vocalist in the same category as xtina, celina, whitney, mimi, or even fantasia for that matter. I will give her due respect for adapting to her weakness by having incredible style.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Moving quickly on from lessers, I've been listening to the new Scissor Sisters album and it's really good.

They've definitely moved on from their Night Work sound. It's not quite as sexy. But there's some real dancefloor fillers (Shady Love feat. Azealia Banks, Only The Horses, Somewhere) and some classic Scissor Sistersy songs (Baby Come Home, Keep Your Shoes On, San Luis Obispo).

It's not as consistent and coherent as Night Work (which I felt was their best yet) and no heights quite as high as Invisible Light, but it's pretty much great all the same. Too many ballads tho tbh.

Was listening to this while walking home earlier and feel similarly about it. A few catchy, memorable tracks, some good beats, but a lot of 'meh' stuff that I'll probably never return to. Still, it's selling well, which at least gets us celebratory pics of Jake Shears' naked ass on Twitter.

Definitely one of the most insane things I have ever seen in this topic. Yes, beyonce has technique due to years upon years of vocal lessons, but masterclass is an overstatement. Beyonce is not a power house vocalist in the same category as xtina, celina, whitney, mimi, or even fantasia for that matter. I will give her due respect for adapting to her weakness by having incredible style.

You've got it flipped. Beyonce is all technique, no style. Her TECHNICAL ABILITY rivals Whitney and Mariah, she doesn't have as high a range (as far as we know) and she doesn't necessarily have the power of a Whitney, but power is a small portion of the larger equation. She has smoothness, she can transition in registers like nobody else. It's her tone and STYLE that aren't unique or authentic enough to get her much attention to vocal enthusiasts. Someone like Christina is known for having a very unique style of singing and that's because she tends to YELL. Adele is in a similar field: all tone/style no technique. It's why her vocal chords kept sending her to the doctor's office. There is definitely a RIGHT way to sing a song, and it's all in positioning, body language, breathing, etc. Beyonce's obviously taken the right lessons to know these things, and it's evidenced in her live performances. She's a technical masterclass. Her voice isn't all that unique though.

Mumei

Now you know the bolded is just flat out incorrect. We've been here before where I've posted plenty of videos of her singing different genres competently. Videos of her singing entire songs in her lower register. Videos of her doing on-the-spot improvisation. And yes, even videos of her performing competent belts. This is an old dance.

We have!

But then you already know I am not at all impressed by that Porgy performance - or her lower register in general. That is her best lower register (and restrained) performance, but I am still not impressed by her lower register. It doesn't have any body to it and poor breath support. This idea that you have that, Adele aside, she has the best lower register in her generation is just silliness. Sure, she's better than singers like Kelly Clarkson or Leona Lewis - singers who have no lower register worth speaking of at all - but she's not anywhere near Adele, nor is she as good as Beyonce's. And while they started earlier (and are either dead or not as relevant), both Brandy and Aaliyah had better lower registers.

I don't think she's awful in that respect (though if I believed everything I read or saw, I would), but I think you overrate her lower register. She's got a pretty impressive lower extension for a soprano that could be more impressive if she ever supported it.

The deficiencies in her vocal technique have been soundly clocked (even by me). But you can't take everything away from her. That would just be baseless hate. At some point you just have to acknowledged the music, regardless of whether or not the singer's technique is 100% classically correct

I don't take everything away from her!

- She has a very powerful voice
- She projects better than most
- She has a very pretty voice when she sings correctly
- She always has a very pretty falsetto
- Her stupid shit sounds awesome in studio

I just don't give her "lower register" and I have yet to see on-the-spot improvisation that I thought improved the song she was singing. And yes, there are competent belts, though they would appear to be less common than that phrasing implies.

Basically, I view Christina in relation to Mariah sort of the way we both view Adele in relation to Dusty.

And Beyonce, as good of a vocalist as she is, didn't debut as a solo artist the same time as Christina, nor were her vocals even on the same plane at the time (although they certainly did improve).

Definitely.

Actually, I didn't really think of her as great - hell, good - singer until I was actually watching that video BZBlaner made. I'd always thought of her as "That girl whose daddy got her a girl group that was transparently a vehicle for her future solo career" and I never really listened to her or considered that she might be talented. <_<

Don't really know how I didn't hear it in retrospect.

She was. But she always had very quiet, whispy vocals.

"Oh"

So much for that, then.

royalan

I'm not sure if I completely agree with you.

I would personally rank Xtina a notch above Beyonce. Simply because when Xtina is on, she's on, and she still possesses the ability to surprise me with how she uses her voice. I feel like Beyonce has been singing the same exact way since Dangerously In Love, she's just gotten more competent at it. But she still posseses those same vocal misgivings that turn me off from being fully on board with her (dumber runs than Christina, an annoying fetish for crescendo and that damn echo filter).

BUT, I would place her in the same vocal league as Christina.

botty

Banned

tumblr_lt47ekznke1qdf8w1o6_250.gif

I'm not sure if I completely agree with you.

I would personally rank Xtina a notch above Beyonce. Simply because when Xtina is on, she's on, and she still possesses the ability to surprise me with how she uses her voice. I feel like Beyonce has been singing the same exact way since Dangerously In Love, she's just gotten more competent at it. But she still posseses those same vocal misgivings that turn me off from being fully on board with her (dumber runs than Christina, an annoying fetish for crescendo and that damn echo filter).

BUT, I would place her in the same vocal league as Christina.

I feel like.. in a vocal battle Christina would make Beyonce disappear if she wanted to. Simply because Beyonce lacks the range to keep up with her. I'm not trying to shade Bey, but it's really about raw talent.

--

This duets show is a mess.

Majmun

9lfHv.gif

Beyonce can definitely keep up with Xtina. Bee doesn't have the power, but power isn't everything whe it comes to vocals. I love her sweet voice.
And she's always in control and never oversings. Xtina's yelling can really get on my nerve sometimes.
Especially when she's singing live.

Talking about live...

Does Xtina even move when she sings??? She only focuses on her singing. NOT A GOOD LOOK. Bee has both covered: performance and singing. And she nails them both. Not many pop artist can say that. Especially not XLtina.
The energy that Bee radiates during a performance is unmatched. I've never seen Xtina do such thing. Definitely not as of late.

You just can't compare Bee with Xtina when it comes to total package. Bee is the better entertainer and artist in that regard. And she definitely looks better too.
I like Xtina, but Beyonce has that bitch covered on all fronts.

Had to get that off my chest

e7296.gif

royalan

I believe you and I are 30% of this show's total viewers
ibfI13LcHC7D2B.png

No shade to your fave.....................................................but this is just proof that not just any-ol-body can flee to singing shows and be a success.

We have!

But then you already know I am not at all impressed by that Porgy performance - or her lower register in general. That is her best lower register (and restrained) performance, but I am still not impressed by her lower register. It doesn't have any body to it and poor breath support. This idea that you have that, Adele aside, she has the best lower register in her generation is just silliness. Sure, she's better than singers like Kelly Clarkson or Leona Lewis - singers who have no lower register worth speaking of at all - but she's not anywhere near Adele, nor is she as good as Beyonce's. And while they started earlier (and are either dead or not as relevant), both Brandy and Aaliyah had better lower registers.

Well, the thing is Adele should have a better lower register. She's an Alto. Her voice naturally "sits" lower than Christina's.

And I personally think that the breathiness in that Porgy performance is intentional. I say that because, no matter how breathy she got in the low notes, her tone nevertheless stayed completely even, and never was she in danger of falling out of the note - which is what happens when a lot of girls try to sing "too" low for their voices.

I think Christina does that breathy thing because she's going for a sultry, chanteuse type performance. I get Julie London teas from that performance...and we all know how much Christina loves that era.

tumblr_lt47ekznke1qdf8w1o6_250.gif

I feel like.. in a vocal battle Christina would make Beyonce disappear if she wanted to. Simply because Beyonce lacks the range to keep up with her. I'm not trying to shade Bey, but it's really about raw talent.

Actually...I agree. I feel like if this were a battle of pure range Beyonce might sound cleaner up-top (although, I'm noticing that she rarely goes for F5s anymore...). However, if someone handed both ladies a mic, put on a beat, and just said "Go IN," Christina would whoop dat ass. Christina has always been a more capable Soul singer than Beyonce
who largely gets a pass because she's black, if I'm being REAL here

Mumei

I disagree.

Beyonce keeps up in the lower belts (and is technically better, if you care), and she's stronger and healthier in the upper belts.

Christina might have a bigger voice but it is harder to tell when you're dealing with mic'd singers, and the difference between Christina and Beyonce certainly isn't on the level of the difference between, say, Whitney and Mariah (where Whitney clearly and undeniably has a bigger column of sound up through the top notes (though Mariah significantly closes the gap around F5 - G#5). And Beyonce is the one who has better technique and even if her voice is smaller in the absence of those things, I think that her superior projection means that her voice wouldn't be covered in a duet.

?

Beyonce does not lack the range to keep up. Beyonce's actual range is G#2 - G#5 in modal and up to D6 in a properly connected head voice. She has more than three octaves of connected and well-supported range. Christina has a range of Bb2 - G#5 and and up to around G6/A6 in falsetto and up to ~C#7 in whistle. I don't know that she's ever sung in a connected head voice, and large portions of her range are unsupported. Christina has a larger overall range, but Beyonce's more competitive than you seem to believe.

Well, the thing is Adele should have a better lower register. She's an Alto. Her voice naturally "sits" lower than Christina's.

She should have a better lower register than she does, to be frank.

And I personally think that the breathiness in that Porgy performance is intentional. I say that because, no matter how breathy she got in the low notes, her tone nevertheless stayed completely even, and never was she in danger of falling out of the note - which is what happens when a lot of girls try to sing "too" low for their voices.

I think Christina does that breathy thing because she's going for a sultry, chanteuse type performance. I get Julie London teas from that performance...and we all know how much Christina loves that era.

Maybe.

I think she develops that foggy sort of unsupported sound below around... F3 - G#3 in her lower register. She has a fuller more rounded sound slightly higher in her lower register, which makes me think that it isn't intentional.

Actually...I agree. I feel like if this were a battle of pure range Beyonce might sound cleaner up-top (although, I'm noticing that she rarely goes for F5s anymore...). However, if someone handed both ladies a mic, put on a beat, and just said "Go IN," Christina would whoop dat ass. Christina has always been a more capable Soul singer than Beyonce
who largely gets a pass because she's black, if I'm being REAL here

Might sound cleaner up top?

dr4.gif

Though after you mentioned the F5 thing, I was watching a couple videos of more recent performances and it appears that you're right. Most of the F5 and up stuff in videos I've seen appears to be from 2005 - 2009.

Trigger

PopJustice's Xtina profile:

#dead

I'll also mention the Stan Wars Wiki profile. This originally came up in the DJ room, and I can't remember if it was mentioned in the thread proper.

Artist Bio

Punched out of the game by Britney
Re-punched out of the game by Beyonce
Re-re-punched out of the game by Gaga
Now hosts a reality TV show.

Performance Style

Taking a 3 minute up-tempo pop/electro/dance song and turning it into a 5-hour Negro spiritual.

VSY8A.gif

botty

Banned
9lfHv.gif

Beyonce can definitely keep up with Xtina. Bee doesn't have the power, but power isn't everything whe it comes to vocals. I love her sweet voice.
And she's always in control and never oversings. Xtina's yelling can really get on my nerve sometimes.
Especially when she's singing live.

missny-beyonce.gif

Beyonce never over sings? Bey was trying way to hard to hit notes that she literally is incapable of producing. I would have been worried about her pregnancy during this performance, but that would require an actual fetus to be alive in her womb.

Talking about live...

Let's talk about live.

Style. Technique. Flawless.

Does Xtina even move when she sings??? She only focuses on her singing. NOT A GOOD LOOK. Bee has both covered: performance and singing. And she nails them both. Not many pop artist can say that. Especially not XLtina.
The energy that Bee radiates during a performance is unmatched. I've never seen Xtina do such thing. Definitely not as of late.

Xtina is above that basic ish. Whitney doesn't move, Mariah doesn't move, Celine doesn't move, Adele doesn't move. Why? because they don't need to. That's why they call them "singers". Do you think anyone would go to a Beyonce show if she didn't shake her ass?

tumblr_lizpcrhiaP1qdf8w1o1_500.gif

You just can't compare Bee with Xtina when it comes to total package. Bee is the better entertainer and artist in that regard. And she definitely looks better too.
I like Xtina, but Beyonce has that bitch covered on all fronts.

Bey is definitely better at putting on a show.

gif.gif

Had to get that off my chest

e7296.gif

I like bey, but let's not pretend like she is the holy grail of performers... because even Rihanna had her shook.

That's all.

ny-composure.gif

Kyon

Banned
Botty's first "read" gj

@Robido darling Patti and the other Divas are ABOVE the lessers. They are HIGHER BEINGS and remain unSCATHED. #BlessedT

royalan

9lfHv.gif

Actually, Christina does move. A lot.

Peep that "Woo Hoo" choreography.

Peep them mid-choreo falsetto notes. Best in the game.

Mind you, I would say that Beyonce beats her out by a tiny margin when it comes to singing while moving/performing choreography. But Christina IS right up there with her. BOTH ladies beat out their rivals in this field. Nobody else comes close.

Nemesis_

Kind of hope she does a bit reveal before she begins the Australian leg or something. That would be nice but I know it won't happen. =( LORD KNOWS how soon "soon" or "close" is.

Also, MDNA tour happened. Nobody's talking about it?

#oop

Mumei

Beyonce never over sings? Bey was trying way to hard to hit notes that she literally is incapable of producing. I would have been worried about her pregnancy during this performance, but that would require an actual fetus to be alive in her womb.

She goes for notes a couple of times that she doesn't quite make - mostly head voice that I noticed. But they aren't out of her range - they weren't even at the outer extremities of her demonstrated range - and she's perfectly capable of producing all the notes she was going for.

Let's talk about live.

Style. Technique. Flawless.

roy mentioned Beyonce not going for F5s or higher recently. And he might well be right about last year.

But when have those notes ever been in Christina's comfort range live?

Allow me to grace this thread with Patti Labelle. IDK if my link worked right, but if not skip to 6:18 and bask in the glory. #COULDYOURFAVES?

ibiA1x5TdxmkUt.gif

Kyon

Banned
What is there to talk about the MDNA Tour? That its STILL going to be one of the highest grossing tours in History. People can come for The MDNA album but you can't come for the Queen of Tours. Your fave will always be a lessor in that department.

Nemesis_

What is there to talk about the MDNA Tour? That its STILL going to be one of the highest grossing tours in History. People can come for The MDNA album but you can't come for the Queen of Tours. Your fave will always be a lessor in that department.

No shade or anything (I am HALF Madonna stan), but it could be the same DEAL as MDNA. People PRE-PAY AND GET EXCITED until the thing actually hits and it just DROPS

My favourite part so far is where she wished the WORLD PEACE despite having a whole ACT filled with VIOLENCE. #hmmm

royalan

Ok - so I try not to get too involved in the Madonna vs. Gaga beef, because both sides turn into #MESSYBITCHES at the drop of a dime.

BUT....

Madonna's tour OPENING slays the ENTIRETY of the Born This Way Ball.

Seriously, it's ridiculous how good this is.

BTWB could be canceled tomorrow and I wouldn't care. Wouldn't even miss it.

Why? BECAUSE MADGE IS HERE. And Bitch knows how to put on a show.

More videos here.

I mean, in all seriousness....Gaga could never. And you really just need to get the fuck over it because Gaga #COULDNEVER. At 53 Madonna is slaying these HOES! The spectacle! The DRAMA! QUEEEEEEEN!!!

That's all I've got.

Ok - so I try not to get too involved in the Madonna vs. Gaga beef, because both sides turn into #MESSYBITCHES at the drop of a dime.
BUT....
Madonna's tour OPENING slays the ENTIRETY of the Born This Way Ball.

Seriously, it's ridiculous how good this is.

BTWB could be canceled tomorrow and I wouldn't care. Wouldn't even miss it.

Why? BECAUSE MADGE IS HERE. And Bitch knows how to put on a show.

More videos here.

I mean, in all seriousness....Gaga could never. And you really just need to get the fuck over it because Gaga #COULDNEVER. At 53 Madonna is slaying these HOES! The spectacle! The DRAMA! QUEEEEEEEN!!!

That's all I've got.
That opening was EVERYTHING! MyMomma out there showin these hoes how you do it. Too bad they ain't payin attention.
tumblr_ldfy0axP9v1qcyysd.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom