• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

I love you goddess Lana Del Ray

image.php

royalan

Born To Die is a brilliant album. Maybe even the most brilliant Pop album released thus far in 2012. It does lull in parts, but when it's good it's unbelievably fresh and unique.

Trigger

I think "Born to Die" has some moments, but I wasn't blown away. It's really a showcase of what a difference good production can make on an album. Her lyrics and voice aren't remarkable, but sometimes I get lost in her songs despite myself. I've listened to "Radio" far more than I'd like to admit. "Lolita" is good slutty fun too.

royalan

I think "Born to Die" has some moments, but I wasn't blown away. It's really a showcase of what a difference good production can make on an album. Her lyrics and voice aren't remarkable, but sometimes I get lost in her songs despite myself. I've listened to "Radio" far more than I'd like to admit. "Lolita" is good slutty fun too.

Her voice isn't the most remarkable, but her delivery definitely is.

Her delivery in "Off To The Races" and "Blue Jeans" is nothing short of inspired.

Problem is, the fact that she can't reproduce any of her songs live tells me that she's largely untrained, and relies too much on the studio process. I don't want to even think about how many takes and compiling it took to get the final version of "Off To The Races".

Trigger

Her voice isn't the most remarkable, but her delivery definitely is.

Her delivery in "Off To The Races" and "Blue Jeans" is nothing short of inspired.

Problem is, the fact that she can't reproduce any of her songs live tells me that she's largely untrained, and relies too much on the studio process. I don't want to even think about how many takes and compiling it took to get the final version of "Off To The Races".

I imagine it wasn't an easy task at all. With training Lana could see real growth in her next album.

Icicle

Yesterday, Far East Movement's new album "Dirty Bass" came out. Has anybody listened to it yet? Does anyone stan for these guys?

QvFX1.jpg

Featured artists on almost every track, including Tyga, Justin Bieber, Pitbull, Crystal Kay <3, and Cassie (who???)

B-Dex

Yesterday, Far East Movement's new album "Dirty Bass" came out. Has anybody listened to it yet? Does anyone stan for these guys?

QvFX1.jpg

Featured artists on almost every track, including Tyga, Justin Bieber, Pitbull, Crystal Kay <3, and Cassie (who???)

I tried to play a song of theirs in the DJ Room but they decided to skip.

tumblr_m4jm0cdWfR1qi276zo1_500.gif

Trigger

This album has a lot of collaborations, but I haven't listened to it yet (still going through that Norah Jones album). I did like that other song they had banging in most clubs though. I think they have potential though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm not going to argue about how Godbyn is infinitely superior to Rihanalbleeding in the OT.

As for superior, the only thing that Rihanalseepage is better at than Godbyn is making shit music and sucking cock for money.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm not going to argue about how Godbyn is infinitely superior to Rihanalbleeding in the OT.

As for superior, the only thing that Rihanalseepage is better at than Godbyn is making shit music and sucking cock for money.

She sucked cock for money? I know that she fucked for tracks (C. Brown for Disturbia, Drake for something else), but I"m not positive that there were actual money exchanges in either one. She's clocking more money than most of the people she's linked to.

And your Rihanna shade names are making less and less sense. Try harder.

royalan

I'm not fooled by you, closet stan. Rihanna's got dozens of hits and everyone has a favorite.

*Ahem*

This is still my favorite Rihanna track, and is not one of her hit singles.

She started slowly falling off for me when she abandoned this era.

Said it before and I'll say it again: Not to suggest that she should never grow and evolve as an artist, but Rihanna to me is at her most interesting when she's reppin' the island patois. It's unique and fresh, she's always at her most natural, and it's what really sets her apart from the rest of the chicks in the game. It's the closest she ever comes to legitimate "artistry."

Not to mention, even after all this time (and all these albums), her strongest vocal performances still come from these first two albums.

Said it before and I'll say it again: Not to suggest that she should never grow and evolve as an artist, but Rihanna to me is at her most interesting when she's reppin' the island patois. It's unique and fresh, she's always at her most natural, and it's what really sets her apart from the rest of the chicks in the game. It's the closest she ever comes to legitimate "artistry."

Agreed.

I adore it when she gives love to the homeland.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm not fooled by you, closet stan. Rihanna's got dozens of hits and everyone has a favorite.

Shut Up And Drive's pretty good
because it lifts the chord progression from Blue Monday.

In all seriousness tho, the singles from Loud are pretty good.

But they're not really any better than the other 500 acts on the radio who make dance pop, tbh.

Trigger

*Ahem*

This is still my favorite Rihanna track, and is not one of her hit singles.

She started slowly falling off for me when she abandoned this era.

IUCde.gif

I adore this song and the chocolate brother in the video.

Not to mention, even after all this time (and all these albums), her strongest vocal performances still come from these first two albums.

I do like it when she plays up her island roots, but I think she's a sleeker and more refined artist now. I just wish she didn't release 50 albums a year and put more effort into her material.

Wow.

So I hadn't heard the song before, and immediately it struck me as sounding like a very low-quality ripoff of Stargate - the Norwegian production team behind "Only Girl (In the World)", "What's My Name", and "S&M", as well as a bazillion other pop hits. And Wikipedia tells me they were the ones behind "Don't Stop the Music", which means they came a long way in a few years.

Their stuff sounds much cleaner now, song quality notwithstanding.

Trigger

Jewel's acoustic stuff are second only to the Goddess Alanis in terms of sincerity and soul.

I ain't gonna front...

...."Intuition" was my JAM. *runs*

lb7VE.gif

Shameful. "Intuition" is Jewel at her worst.

You aren't kidding.

The only thing I knew of it was that wonderful voodoo incantation performance at Rock in Rio, but thanks to this post I'm on my third viewing of the music video and I just bought it on iTunes.

05t3w.gif

Savor that since there's nothing close to it on Talk That Talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom