• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a related note, I hope you all have had the pleasure of hearing Avril attempt singing in different languages.
EsbvG.gif

Girlfriend (Chinese Version)

Word of caution: swallow what you're drinking before you listen to this.

WAT THE FUCK
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Speaking of Spanish, I wish someone here would update me on the Spanish pop scene. I been stuck listening to Paulina, Thalia, Fey, and Juanes oldies

Mumei

I just found out Beyoncé recorded songs in Spanish.

... she tried.
EsbvG.gif

Edit: Irreemplazable. Who told her this was a good idea.
rsnRP.gif

I love Mariah's Spanish recordings. She's only did a couple before she stopped after a mistranslation / grammatical eror in the first line of Mi Todo, though.

Koodo

Banned
Speaking of Spanish, I wish someone here would update me on the Spanish pop scene. I been stuck listening to Paulina, Thalia, Fey, and Juanes oldies
YAS! I held off on posting about Fey because I thought no one would understand.
rsnRP.gif

mn7us.jpg

Flawless album. Pop aerobics? ✓. Bittersweet ballads? ✓. Nighttime anthems? ✓. Your faves? At the door.

Eres azucar amargo
Un angel un diablo
Maldito embustero
Solo siento, que te estoy perdiendo

Still slays me 15 years later.
t2AAm.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
YAS! I held off on posting about Fey because I thought no one would understand.
rsnRP.gif

mn7us.jpg

Flawless album. Pop aerobics? ✓. Bittersweet ballads? ✓. Nighttime anthems? ✓. Your faves? At the door.

Eres azucar amargo
Un angel un diablo
Maldito embustero
Solo siento, que te estoy perdiendo

Still slays me 15 years later.
t2AAm.gif

Yes, its ultimate perfection that every pop lover should hear even if they dont understand it

Azucar Amargo will always slay me
iz0HuOr8KUffF.gif

Mumei

Y'all are begging me to drag, but I will remain calm.

... because she clocked herself.

i7k4GL2cN8KMu.gif

Incidentally, I was reading a book about singing earlier this week called The Contemporary Singer: Elements of Vocal Technique, written by a teacher at Berklee College of Music. It had some interesting things to say about vocal technique, and some of what it said made me think of a certain someone. Tell me who this makes you think of:

"Develop your vocal range to its fullest capacity, but remember that expression, and color are more pleasant to most listeners than pyrotechnic displays of high and low notes. This kind of vocal "showing off" can become crass, unmusical, and draw attention away from the music. Riffing with improvised melodic embellishments is exciting, but only if you do it with taste that adds beauty and expressiveness to the song."​

and

"If your voice is resonating well, it will feel flexible. A free tone is more likely to resonate well. The tone should feel as if it could go up or down in pitch, be louder or softer, or change to a darker or brighter color. If you feel "stuck" on a note, or your throat feels closed, tension is probably interfering with good resonance.

[...]

A resonant voice sounds as if it flows without tightness in the throat and neck muscles. Efficient use of resonance can help you increase volume without force. In other words, if your voice is resonating well, you do not have to use force to create volume.

A resonant voice sounds in tune. Your ability to match pitches accurately is affected by resonance. A tone that does not resonate well can lack overtones, making pitch sound flat."​

and

"Why does belting require special attention?

[...]

2. There is a tendency for singers to add unnecessary pressure to the throat and the surrounding vocal mechanism because of the emotional nature of belted songs. Women especially have a tendency to add more weight to their middle voice than is natural, and must be cautioned against pushing.

[...]

4. Many singers lack a sense of the delicacy of the vocal mechanism and feel they are invulnerable to vocal problems."​

and

"Belting is a very exciting, emotional style of singing, but use caution. If you feel tightness or tickling in your throat when singing, you are probably pushing. While some singers can sing using an easy, unforced belt voice without straining, for others it seems impossible to develop a good sounding belt without forcing, or sounding as if the tone is swallowed. Forcing your voice not only detracts from the emotion of the music, it can lead to vocal strain and serious vocal problems. Singers who do not exhibit a healthy inclination for belting should explore other styles of singing."​

I'm also here for Kimbra. She's best known as the Katy Perra soundalike on Somebody That I Used to Know.

Did you seriously just...? Nevermind. I remember when Kimbra was the pre-Lana Lana; all the music blogs were hyping her as the "underground" pop star doing "intelligent" pop, and her success never really materialized—at least not to the same extent Lana Del Rey's has.

I know they're starting to push Somebody That I Used to Know hard in the US, and honestly? I hope it does well. It's a good song.

Clicking the GIF takes you to the video!

I'm stanning HARD for Robyn right now. I listened to Robyn and Body Talk for 4 hours straight on a road trip...it was like a religious experience. The gayness emanating from my car must've been palpable.

YESSSSS JOIN US

tumblr_lapewagtF21qa5tz4.gif

And speaking of Robyn, who is this godawful Rye Rye mess and why did Robyn allow her to fuck up Be Mine! with such terrible production and lyrics? AND WHY DID SHE APPEAR IN THE VIDEO? She's so obviously better than that nasty hoe. At least she looks good.

Did you seriously just...? Nevermind.
It hurt me to even type it, but someone always mentions it when they hear the song for the first time.
rsnRP.gif

I remember when Kimbra was the pre-Lana Lana; all the music blogs were hyping her as the "underground" pop star doing "intelligent" pop, and her success never really materialized—at least not to the same extent Lana Del Rey's has.
Kind of tragic. Vows is so much better than Born to Die, tbh.
rsnRP.gif

SecretMoblin said:
And speaking of Robyn, who is this godawful Rye Rye mess and why did Robyn allow her to fuck up Be Mine! with such terrible production and lyrics? AND WHY DID SHE APPEAR IN THE VIDEO? She's so obviously better than that nasty hoe. At least she looks good.
She's M.I.A.'s little protege experiment if that makes anything more clear. It did for me.
rsnRP.gif

Ugh, I miss those days.

she was 19 in that video , a fact a lot of people seem to forget

I honestly don't see that as a valid excuse, and I'm a big Britney fan, regardless of whatever she's been through, she's only 30 - She's not 50, there is other artists that have managed to sustain or even improve themselves throughout their years, but instead, Britney is deteriorating. I know she doesn't have the same passion as back in the day, but her dancing efforts are atrocious at times.

Christopher

How is that new Katy Perry song the number one song in America...it's honestly not that good as her others songs, nor is it catchy.

idwl

Ugh, I miss those days.

I honestly don't see that as a valid excuse, and I'm a big Britney fan, regardless of whatever she's been through, she's only 30 - She's not 50, there is other artists that have managed to sustain or even improve themselves throughout their years, but instead, Britney is deteriorating. I know she doesn't have the same passion as back in the day, but her dancing efforts are atrocious at times.

Yeah , but after all she's been through I'm not surprised her passion has gone. Remember that "secret" dance rehearsal for mannequin. She can obviously dance really well still, she just doesn't want to.
And other artists have not been through as much shit as she has , being put on a 5150 hold, having your dad control every aspect of her life.

Her being under a conservatorship should indicate that there is something extremely wrong with her , seeing as really old people with alzheimers/dementia get them. So theres obviously a lot behind the scenes we don't know.
Some rumors say that after having to cancel the onyx tour and her breakdown, she's very uninsurable so having to go hardout on dance moves might put her at risk. who knows really

Kelly Clarkson is the first artist ever to have topped the Hot 100 and each of Billboard's Dance/Club Play Songs, Country Songs, Adult Contemporary and Adult Pop Songs charts. With these achievements, "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" has become Clarkson's biggest hit to date, surpassing even the ubiquitous "Since U Been Gone."

i6ViRDg99xxrm.gif

ibjkfiLsyOxkef.gif

phcn6.gif

royalan

Kylie is my QUEEN...but I almost find it inappropriate to stan for her.

It's almost as if she's...above stanning.

"Confide In Me" still gets regular rotation on my iPod.

Kyon

Banned
Kylie is my QUEEN...but I almost find it inappropriate to stan for her.

It's almost as if she's...above stanning.

"Confide In Me" still gets regular rotation on my iPod.

Thats why i always called Kylie the Goddess of Pop. She's a no brainer to stan for really.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
She still needs .gif love.

Typical Plywood. I make my debut here and you're quick to try to bury me.

I can't think of any other pop stars at the moment. If 80's count I'd throw down pat benetar for invincible.

G-Fex
The Tsundere Pony
(Yesterday, 08:35 PM)

When did this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom