• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

So... Plywood is hot and likes Gaga, Rihanna, Little Boots and Adele? Lordt he's a keeper girls.
uBvPP.gif

Ok, everyone keeps saying that Plywood is hot. SHOW ME THE RECEIPTS!!!!!

Kyon

Banned
The fact that Beautiful, I Turn to You, Express, Show Me How You Burlesque, Wohoo and Lady Marmalade isn't in that list :"(

royalan

I'm not here for that B2B reject. That bridge note slays though

How are you not here for that track when that bridge note is what puts Xtina a tier above everyone's faves? Tsk...and I thought you were the Xtina stan...:(

Christina's "I Am" is a beautiful song.

Truf. All of the Sia produced tracks from Bionic are amazing.

Cynosure

How are you not here for that track when that bridge note is what puts Xtina a tier above everyone's faves? Tsk...and I thought you were the Xtina stan...:(

There's more to a song than just an amazing bridge.
It didn't capture me like Bound To You or any of the uptempo Burlesque tracks have.

Her discography is one of the most diverse out there, we can't all like the same ones(excpet for my faves that I listed, those are all indisputably excellent).
different strokes for different folks.

edit//

Christina is sure trolling us.

she looks like this moments before Michael's Tribute show

cZmyE.jpg

but like this for the actual show

jDRNn.jpg

it's that diva hair.

0,,55601902-EXH,00.jpg

Glad Adele didnt overdo it for the grammys. Although she could have went without the red lips.
She looked much better immediately after grammys

wxaZp.png

Oozer3993

Hollaback Girl was the greatest thing to ever happen to college parties. Play that song and girls would just appear out of thin air. And What You Waiting For is hot.

P.S. I know this isn't strictly pop, but it's awesome.

YzQek.jpg

Kyon

Banned
Hollaback Girl was the greatest thing to ever happen to college parties. Play that song and girls would just appear out of thin air. And What You Waiting For is hot.

P.S. I know this isn't strictly pop, but it's awesome.

YzQek.jpg

She's Country/Pop. Like Taylor, Faith Hill and Shania

Mumei

This old performance (but new to me!) of Kelly slaying Fantasia and looking completely unbothered while doing so is hilarious. The expression on her face. 2:38 - 3:05.

I'd seen the performance of Jesus, Oh What A Wonderful Child with them before, but hadn't seen You'll Never Walk Alone before.

She's Country/Pop. Like Taylor, Faith Hill and Shania

Was Shania actually popular with country audiences? Or was her popularity more crossover? My mind just sort of boggles at the idea that that audience would take to a Canadian named Eileen Edwards.

I'm here for the Gwen Stefani loving. LAMB was the second best pop album of 2004. ;) I'mma need that No Doubt album that's stuck in development hell to be out now.

I'm also here for Kimbra. She's best known as the Katy Perra soundalike on Somebody That I Used to Know. I think someone already posted Cameo Lover earlier in the thread. I listened to her album yesterday and it's the best debut I've heard in a long time.

SFdtD.jpg

Here's some more songs:
Settle Down
Good Intent

They sound better in the context of the album though. I expect you hoes to take a listen and report back here with your thoughts.

I'm stanning HARD for Robyn right now. I listened to Robyn and Body Talk for 4 hours straight on a road trip...it was like a religious experience. The gayness emanating from my car must've been palpable.

Oh and my daily Kelly Clarkson news: Kelly covers Whitney Houston's "Exhale" with TAMYRA GRAY. ♥ It's so awesome that they're still friends after 10 years.

Kyon

Banned
This old performance (but new to me!) of Kelly slaying Fantasia and looking completely unbothered while doing so is hilarious. The expression on her face. 2:38 - 3:05.

I'd seen the performance of Jesus, Oh What A Wonderful Child with them before, but hadn't seen You'll Never Walk Alone before.

Was Shania actually popular with country audiences? Or was her popularity more crossover? My mind just sort of boggles at the idea that that audience would take to a Canadian named Eileen Edwards.

Her audience was crossover, but country fans are loyal always so she always had that huge chunk of sales lol Americans are the most fickle in the music industry when it comes to artist loyalty (Country is the only loyal consumer here lol).

Sai-kun

Banned
Uhhhh....don't know how I feel about this track, but I'm leaning towards "Ew."\

Marina & the Diamonds - Homewrecker

This is what someone wrote about the Electra Heart album demo they got.

Yesterday, I got the album sampler in the post for her new album "Electra Heart" and I was rather curious to say the least. To my surprise, it's quite electronic pop which is NOT what I was expecting at all. From the second lead single "Primadonna" kicked in, I thought - wow, this really is a change of direction for her. I guess Marina has been going through a bit of a metamorphosis lately - all starting with the hair colour. Don't get too excited if you think she's planning a Lady Gaga like re-invention, but I think you'll all be rather surprised at how electro-pop she's become on this project. How so you ask? Well there is an obvious nod to Kylie in "Primadonna" as you can hear "Wow" popping up from time-to-time in this track - it's really quite clever.

Perhaps my favorite song on the sampler is the glorious "State Of Dreaming" which I can easily call my favorite song from Marina thus far. It's lush, grandiose and un-apologetically pop when the chorus kicks in. You still get those shades of quirky Marina vocal in ther verses, but this time, the beat is the main driver here and unless someone told you, you wouldn't quite know it was Marina and The Diamonds. I like that. On "Homewrecker" Marina gets rather feisty. I would go as far as saying this song is VERY PET SHOP BOYS and completely anthematic and uplifting. It's not so suprsing though that these tracks sound like pop gold, Marina has hand-picked some of the best in the business to work on "Electra Heart" including Dr Luke (Katy Perry), Rick Nowels (Madonna), Liam Howe (Sneaker Pimps) and Greg Kurstin (Lily Allen) to name just a few.

The bolded (mine) makes me very...uneasy about this album. I don't mind good beats, obviously, but I don't think Marina needs them to carry her, and honestly what we've gotten from Electra Heart so far (Starring Role, Fear & Loathing, Homewrecker) makes me worry about the rest of the album. :/ I wonder if she'll be a one-album wonder.

VVVV- YESSSSS FLORENCEEEE SHE'S DA BEST EXCEPT FOR ALWAYS LEAVING MY FAVORITE SONGS OUT OF HER SETLISTTTTT

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Just bought tickets to see Florence up in Canada in July since she snubbed the Seattle area. I may never get to see Madonna, but this soothes my bitter tears a little.

Koodo

Banned
Sorry Roy Toy, I wasn't wowed by L.A.M.B. We've already discussed the flawlessness of "WYWF" and "Hollaback Girl," and I also loved "Cool" and "The Real Thing," but the rest of the album was too blueberry bubblegum for me.

But thanks for reminding me about WYWF, I am jamming hard to that shit again. Take a chance you stupid hoe.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
does estelle have a new album coming out soon or what? i don't really keep up with her

Next week (which happens to rhyme with "just leaked.")

I thought she already had an album recently, but it turns out her label tried singles from this (that flopped) two years ago, ultimately pulled them off the record, shuffled dates around and are now finally releasing it. Not really a great sign, but like you, I enjoyed that track and will check out the rest.

Koodo

Banned
I just found out Beyoncé recorded songs in Spanish.

... she tried.
EsbvG.gif

Edit: Irreemplazable. Who told her this was a good idea.
rsnRP.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom