• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I got this idea in my head to host a Plug.DJ room with all of my favorite groups in music GAF squaring off in musical battle royale. I've invited Pop-Gaf/Gaf-Hop/Electronic-Gaf, and all of the happening dudes in the listening thread. I hope this room keeps going until the A.M.'s, and I also hope somebody else shows up, but I have high hopes that this will turnout decent at least.

Here's the room: Music Is Fun

...If you'd like to DJ at any point and don't want to wait, just ask me, I will give you my spot. I will be super accommodating, anyone that wants to DJ will have a chance I promise. The more DJs the better.

In I go *.*

DMeisterJ

Banned
In I go *.*

Good luck.

liukin-crashtxjnk.gif

Mumei

Strobe lights?

I was playing Jackie Wilson's Shout, and it got up to 17 - 20 with one Meh and one Curate.... and the chat said I hit the strobe lights and the room started doing this seizure inducing flashing animation.

It was ridiculous. :D

Majmun

The album is pretty good in retrospect.

Tequilla is slaying me too right now. Thanks for reminding me, Crumpet.
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

Lovalot, Believer and CAPS LOCK are flawless too.

Can't wait for her new stuff

wa7Hi.gif

Majmun

BY THE WAY

I'm listening to Bjork now. Her first album...is this perfection??

Oh god, I think Im going to stan for Bjork soon. It took a while, but her first album has captivated me. Can't wait to listen to her next albums.
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

Debut is actually a pretty underrated album of hers, I think. It's different from a lot of her later conceptual work in that it's very bubblegum and inspired by the dance music scene in the UK in the early 90s. People tend to take "Human Behaviour" and dismiss the rest of the album completely, but there are quite a few fun songs. I love the album version of "Big Time Sensuality", which is different and much more poppy than the excellent Fluke remix that accompanied the award-winning, iconic video for the song. And "Violently Happy" remains an eternal jam.

The live performances she did to promote the album - particularly the MTV Unplugged performance - did a lot to establish her credibility as a musically interesting artist. The full performance keeps getting deleted from YouTube, but the individual songs are there, like
Big Time Sensuality
Come to Me
and
Violently Happy.

It also set the stage for the (slightly) overrated Post and served as an introduction to many of the Björkisms that continued throughout her discography, even through Biophilia.

Majmun

Come to Me is when I finally realized that I actually love her voice. I usually dismissed her thanks to her random sounding singing and weird ass music. But I learned to love her style.

But yeah, still got a few more albums to go. The rest of the albums should sound different, going by the released singles indeed...

I always liked Hunter, though.

"Come to Me" is one of the best things she's ever done, honestly. Of her massive, massive discography, it's certainly among my 5 favorite songs of hers. Besides the MTV Unplugged performance linked above, I love the version she did on tour during the Homogenic era; here's a clip of her doing it at her famous Cambridge performance.

Homogenic is still her best album for all kinds of reasons, but there are a lot of really good songs on Debut, and accessible stuff, too, for those who don't like the more adventurous turns she took later on.

Kyon

Banned
#SheIsMyFave but my other faves could never. She also let fans visit her while she was on BED REST. Could anyone's faves?

iWEbX0pB95tNz.gif

Mau ®

4. RIHANNA - Where Have You Been: 148.358 (+ 3.327) (Highest Update)
OWL CITY & CARLY RAE JEPSEN - Good Time: 17.421 (+ 2.375)

So much slayage by my faves tbh.
oprah2.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
#SheIsMyFave but my other faves could never. She also let fans visit her while she was on BED REST. Could anyone's faves?

iWEbX0pB95tNz.gif

She also brings them up on stage, wears their clothes, buys them pizza

But obviously she does all of this because she is a FAKE
iWEbX0pB95tNz.gif

No problem, don't listen unless you like Prince ; P

Edit: Live in Me is a masterpiece though

heh, I don't think I'll have a problem.

Purple Rain, Sign “☮” the Times, or 1999 if you want albums that are effectively "perfect", as much as that word has any meaning in the context of music.

Those are the three of his that consistently rank among the "greatest albums of all time" from various publications.

Edit: to expand just a bit:

Purple Rain is if you want to listen to an album with a great deal of cultural saturation

Sign “☮” the Times is if you want to listen to an album that summed up decades of soul and funk and propelled American R&B forward

1999 is if you want his album with the most obvious, direct influence on modern pop

There isn't a single bad song on any of the three.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Source: New Christina Aguilera Single Expected for August Release

It's been two years and two seasons of "The Voice" since Christina Aguilera's last studio album, but new music from the veteran pop star may be arriving before summer's end.

A source tells Billboard that Aguilera is working hard on the follow-up to 2010's "Bionic," and that a new single is expected to be released in early August. The club banger was produced by Swedish pop hit-maker Max Martin, and its chorus is built around the line, "All I want to do is what you wanted."

I am here for club bangers
iWEbX0pB95tNz.gif

Nemesis_

We've talked about this Modmei. If I were bandwagon, I would stan peeps like ADELE, Garbaj and Maroon 5. And I most certainly don't.

What's everybody's deal with my flannel shirts?! I love them *.*

The only thing those shirts are associated wiht here are GAY/WIFE BASHERS and ALCOHOLICS

The flannel is fine; it's just the pose, itz.

like I said with Max Martin she's almost def going to get a smash hit - he did most of Shitty Perry's last album too.
But Martin is ridiculously prolific and has his share of flops. When I think "club banger" I think Stargate or even Dr. Fluke, not Max Martin. But the guy is certainly capable, so who knows.

I just can't stand Christina's voice.

royalan

O96JJ.gif

GaTmb.gif

Just as I figured (and was obvious), new single is dropping just in time to be heavily promoted on The Voice next season. More than fair, seeing as she was the only judge last season to NOT plug a project on the show (and yet people still consider her the selfish one?).

I am SO READY for this.

And ok yes....YES...I AM a little disappointed that she's leading with the Max Martin material. She's definitely worked with more interesting producers for this project. But hell, after Bionic I can't blame her for wanting to start off with a sure-fire thing. Max Martin is probably the hottest producer in Pop right now so between his production and her vocals, plus The Voice promo, this single is going to be at LEAST Top 10 for her. My only concern is that I hope this work with Xtina ushers in a new era of production for HIM, because as much as I love my queen I do NOT want to hear a bunch of Katy Perry B-sides (even with SUPERIOR vocals).

EDIT: More from the article:

Meanwhile, duets with Blake Shelton and Cee Lo Green, Aguilera's fellow coaches on NBC's "The Voice," are apparently in the works for the singer's forthcoming album as well.

HERE for a Cee Lo duet. The man makes better music than he's often credited for and they work surprisingly well together.

NOT HERE for the Blake Shelton duet. UGH....

Switters

OMG did someone say Bjork?!

Her first 4 solo albums were near flawless creative dynamos that never left my ears tired for a second.

Everything after Vespertine has been an acquired taste, not bad, but it's not as innocuous as it used to be.

I also rocked some Sugarcubes on heavy rotation in the early 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom