• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
ITZ seems #unaWARE of the love we harbor for him.

iN76Xpm79LIhJ.gif

Bladenic

WAIT GURLS

There are 20(!!!!) albums being sold for 99 cents on Amazon right now. Beside Perry, there is Kimbra, GODtye, Lana GOD Rey, Ellie Goulding, Drake (basically pop lol), Florencen and the Machine, Regina Spektor, fun, and The Wanted.

Basically this is a straight up pop sale. Time to go to town tbh

botty

Banned
In bold are her REAL collaborations. I dont count a 30 second guest spot (like you guys do) a real collaboration. What's My Name, Umbrella and S&M had featurings. Not real collabos. But even if we did count them, guess what? She'd still have 7 #1's of her own in 7 years of her career. Meanwhile Xtina only has 3 #1 hits in 13 years. LMAO.

Even then, only LTWYL and Live Your Life are real collaborations. They went #1 in big part because Rihanna provided the crossover appeal to pop. She's an essential part of the chorus. Unlike Moves Like Jagger where Xtina is an afterthought and is not even on the real catchy part of the track.

SOS (#1)
Umbrella (#1) (And this is reaching, Jay-Z spot is merely symbolic)
Take A Bow (#1)
Disturbia (#1)
Live Your Life (#1)
Rude Boy (#1
Love The Way You Lie (#1)
Only Girl (#1)
What’s My Name (#1)
S&M (#1)
We Found Love (#1).

Those are all "featuring" songs. Collaborations with another artist, whether you like it or not. We are talking about Solo Efforts.

1rqjgn.gif

But let's take another look at her "solo efforts".

SOS - No connections to the writing, and it samples the song "Tainted Love".

Umbrella - No connections to the writing, features Jay-Z, and was apart of Rihanna's new imagine after the first "look" flopped.

Take A Bow - No connections to the writing, #reductive Irreplaceable.

Disturbia - co-written by Chris Brown, but not by Rihanna.
ikXOi4ww3zHNU.gif

Rude Boy - Rihanna is one of 5 people who gave us this lyrical masterpiece.

Only Girl - No connections to the writing.

What's My Name? - No connections to the writing.

S&M - See above.

We Found Love? - See above.

But where are the solo efforts?

tumblr_lozeeakouj1qltig3o1_500.gif

LOL no. She is behind her image and all its changes. She's in charge of her art directions and is executive producers of her albums. Try again.

In terms of direction: None of Rihanna's albums have a collective theme, nor is there any cohesive thought... so you may be correct. But she is a singles artist, so the album isn't really a priority.

So if she's an industry puppet, how come she's the one saying who she will record with? Did her label force her to do a song with her abuser? Did her label force her to record another album right in the middle of a tour?

Rihanna-playboy-bunny-SM.jpg

iseenolies.gif

You can keep ya' goat.

If she was controlled by her label, how come they're so mad at her for doing whatever the fuck she wants?

I already said that she has control of her social life, and we know what has happened as a result.

wsbRL.jpg

#bruises
#Ohthat'syourho?That'sourhotoo.Lol
#soloeffuckups

ibiF945mtYVKtK.gif

Why dont we talk about the fact that Xtina's biggest hits are COLLABORATIONS? Uh? Lady Marmalade and Moves Like Jagger were 1000X more successful than anything she's done as a solo artist. Why can't she do it on her own? I mean Rihanna has quiet a few #1 hits of her OWN as well.

Unlike Rihanna, Xtina hasn't been a "single's artist" since her debut album. A debut album that provided more number 1 hits than Rihanna's debut album, and her second album.

Xtina also doesn't release albums every 5 months in a desperate attempt to stay relevant. Rihanna has released more "true" studio albums than Xtina, yet has sold far less albums than her. Where is the quality?

SD7gl.gif

The funny thing is, in spite of all your Xtina shade, Rihanna will never have the legend status that Xtina acquired before your fave was following in her footsteps with the good girl gone bad image change.

royalan

Well I'm not mention Bionic since that's been done to death but um, B2B? Only one top ten hit, not even top 5 at that. Idk why you're trying to come for me or Taylor when I said I wasn't shading our faves or stanning for her. HELL, only Beautiful hit top 10 from Stripped.

But she sells records like no other in this day and age except Adele. So what if she's a country artist? People obviously care because Speak Now sold 1.2 million or so first week. I think that might be more than Xtina's first weeks for all her albums combined, or close at least.

Need I also remind you that Shania Twain, a country pop artist, has sold more records with only 4 albums and a Greatest Hits than most of our faves have mustered in their entire careers? Certainly not in 4 albums anyway. Also her Greatest Hits sold way more than just about any female greatest hits collection (not sure on this obvs. just applicable to current artists) other than Madonna's Immaculate or w/e it's called.

I'm not shading Swift - kudos to her success. I'm just stating the reality here. County/Rock acts are the most consistently best selling acts in the US. Heck, All of our faves have been punched down the US charts by some "HEW?” Country/Rock acts at some point, and yet it has never really affected the progression of Pop in the US as an industry. I mean, One of the best selling albums in the US so far this year is a country duets album....by Lionel Richie. Country/Rock just SELLS in the US. Always has. But it's pretty telling that these same acts, that so effortlessly dominate the US, usually sell like shit abroad.

All I'm saying is that Swift, despite the cries of the opposite, is still largely a Country artist, and enjoys the bulk of her success in that arena. So as far as Pop goes, Taylor's going to make her album, it'll sell as much as it sells, but Pop as a whole will remain largely unbothered.

And, just as an aside, despite Speak Now's gargantuan first week numbers, Bionic is still the only Xtina album it has outsold. Not that any of this is the point, though.

Dynasty.gif

botty

Banned
Im really bothered by all this. Ya'll attack my looks, my dressing style, call me a whore (for apparently sending pics Ive never sent) and keep going after Rih's success as if it's not deserved because she doesnt put ink on all her lyrics, blatantly disregarding careers like Whitney, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Britney Spears when ya'll say this.

Imma stop posting for good.

Ch...

NOOOO i need u

tumblr_m3jxidIBl81r4fidqo3_250.gif

Bladenic

I'm not shading Swift - kudos to her success. I'm just stating the reality here. County/Rock acts are the most consistently best selling acts in the US. Heck, All of our faves have been punched down the US charts by some "HEW?” Country/Rock acts at some point, and yet it has never really affected the progression of Pop in the US as an industry. I mean, One of the best selling albums in the US so far this year is a country duets album....by Lionel Richie. Country/Rock just SELLS in the US. Always has. But it's pretty telling that these same acts, that so effortlessly dominate the US, usually sell like shit abroad.

All I'm saying is that Swift, despite the cries of the opposite, is still largely a Country artist, and enjoys the bulk of her success in that arena. So as far as Pop goes, Taylor's going to make her album, it'll sell as much as it sells, but Pop as a whole will remain largely unbothered.

And, just as an aside, despite Speak Now's gargantuan first week numbers, Bionic is still the only Xtina album it has outsold. Not that any of this is the point, though.

Dynasty.gif

Oh sis I wasn't trying to be shady or offensive either :)

Also like I mentioned in my first post I meant only sales that she will slay. Well prob. critically too, but she's not gonna make a large or lasting impact by any means. Pop as a genre will remain the same, as will country, long after Taylor Swift dies lol.

Btw really about the sales? I know B2B sold pretty well worldwide but Speak now sold 5,700,000 worldwide according to wikipedia. Fearless is at 8,681,753 according to wiki. If that's true then they both outsold B2B as per wiki. Wiki has B2B at 5 million. Of course you might have receipts that prove otherwise so feel free to share :)

royalan

Oh sis I wasn't trying to be shady or offensive either :)

Also like I mentioned in my first post I meant only sales that she will slay. Well prob. critically too, but she's not gonna make a large or lasting impact by any means. Pop as a genre will remain the same, as will country, long after Taylor Swift dies lol.

Btw really about the sales? I know B2B sold pretty well worldwide but Speak now sold 5,700,000 worldwide according to wikipedia. Fearless is at 8,681,753 according to wiki. If that's true then they both outsold B2B as per wiki. Wiki has B2B at 5 million. Of course you might have receipts that prove otherwise so feel free to share :)

I have BTB at over 5 million. Can't find an exact figure while I'm at work though :(

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Madonna Rules Billboard.com's 2012 Mid-Year Music Awards

Madonna proved to be 2012's ultimate pop star in Billboard.com's Mid-Year Music Awards poll, which let fans weigh in on their favorite artists, songs, albums and performances of the first half of this year. After voting ended on Friday (June 29) and the hundreds of thousands of votes were tallied, Madge was declared the winner of the First-Half MVP trophy, edging out upstart boy band One Direction.

Madonna, whose 12th studio album "MDNA" was released last March, highlighted the first half of 2012 by performing at the Super Bowl halftime show, scoring another No. 1 on the Billboard 200 and getting involved in a war of words with Lady Gaga. In Billboard.com's poll, the pop superstar snagged the most votes in the Best TV Performance category; the third-most clicks for best Billboard 200 No. 1 Album; and an easy win in the Most Memorable Feud category. Her appearance alongside electronic star Avicii at Ultra Music Festival was also named Best Festival Performance in a romp.

Meanwhile, One Direction came up big in the Best Newcomer category, earning 38% of the vote and easily trumping runner-up Lana Del Rey. The pop vocal group also came in second in the best Billboard 200 No. 1 album competition, for their highly touted debut, "Up All Night."

Once the queen, always the queen. Sorry Rih, they didn't have a category for "best cum dumpster" this year. ;__;

Bladenic

You know I would say something like "throwing up everywhere" etc. etc.

But it's Billboard. Whatever vile filth vote clearly have the worst taste in history when Ugly Lambert won best looking MALE

royalan

But it's Billboard. Whatever vile filth vote clearly have the worst taste in history when Ugly Lambert won best looking MALE

#TRUETEA Sis.

Best Singing Reality Show was the only category they got right...

Icicle

Chris, how is it that you are ON-POINT with every post you make?

Sasha THOROUGHLY ENJOYS this TRUTH TEA you're spilling about HAGDONNA.

PFC73.gif

Mumei

Im really bothered by all this. Ya'll attack my looks, my dressing style, call me a whore (for apparently sending pics Ive never sent) and keep going after Rih's success as if it's not deserved because she doesnt put ink on all her lyrics, blatantly disregarding careers like Whitney, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Britney Spears when ya'll say this.

Imma stop posting for good.

Ch...

They only attack your dressing style because they want you undressed.

is1fVyhl6Y69h.gif

And I disregard Whitney, Frank Sinatra, and Elvis Presley because they have talent in other areas to make up for that.

Kyon

Banned
wow I guess the Music Gaf room went well? I expected Mehs and Skips. what happened? Did they realize we have good/diverse taste? :D

wow I guess the Music Gaf room went well? I expected Mehs and Skips. what happened? Did they realize we have good/diverse taste? :D

I think it's fair to call it a resounding success, yeah.

I like it better than the popgaf room... at least they play interesting music.
gfYrS.gif

Kyon

Banned
I think it's fair to call it a resounding success, yeah.

I like it better than the popgaf room... at least they play interesting music.
gfYrS.gif

well it IS music gaf as a whole lol so diversity is sure to come with the package :) I'm glad they didn't hate us in the end. I will be joining soon. rn I gave IP ky room for family that is visiting so I can't get on pc for a few days

well it IS music gaf as a whole lol so diversity is sure to come with the package :) I'm glad they didn't hate us in the end. I will be joining soon. rn I gave IP ky room for family that is visiting so I can't get on pc for a few days

You'll be missed...

britney-crying-o.gif

I think the popgaf frustration comes mostly from non-music GAF, honestly. Most of music GAF understands what this thread and its denizens are all about, even if they aren't fond of the music.

Kyon

Banned
You'll be missed...

britney-crying-o.gif

I think the popgaf frustration comes mostly from non-music GAF, honestly. Most of music GAF understands what this thread and its denizens are all about, even if they aren't fond of the music.

That's a good point bb <3

Have you noticed I have reinstated my Little Monster card sis? I'm over my BTW era hate and ready for the next album. My Gaga stanning is just as hard as my Godney stanning so be ready. Because I'm already dying from the new era music. Princess Die and the finished album. Freaking GodGa sucked my ass back IN #Canting #Stan #Death

britney-crying-o.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Have you noticed I have reinstated my Little Monster card sis? I'm over my BTW era hate and ready for the next album. My Gaga stanning is just as hard as my Godney stanning so be ready. Because I'm already dying from the new era music. Princess Die and the finished album. Freaking GodGa sucked my ass back IN #Canting #Stan #Death

britney-crying-o.gif

yes I have sis, I hope Gaga doesn't disappoint you again

iboEs6yg1SLgos.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom