• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyon

Banned
I forgot about her.

Is this shade or...

#Undetectable I applaud if it is tho. It probably isn't but ill just PRETEND

ibxmtrb2BSkfYC.gif

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

it's here
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Lol, talk about bad marketing decisions. It took them this long to make a video for that song? And such a boring one at it?

The song has peaked in most countries by now. They should've made a video for it before the ESC. It was written in the stars it would win anyway.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

it's here
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Video of the year?

Video of the year.

[edit]What kind of WUTHERING HEIGHTS teas.

Of course it's getting the predictable "boring" "zzzzz" "the song is better than the video" responses, but it isn't supposed to be an epic video. The video for "National Anthem" works because it fits everything about the song and Lana Del Rey's image. It needed to be a grotesque, overproduced, amazing spectacle.

Though I'm not over the moon about the video, it works. It avoids the dumb lip-syncing of the vast majority of pop videos. It rejects the faux performance nonsense that most labels demand gets a certain proportion of time in video promos. It's just the artist dancing alone in a forest in the rain.

It's fine.

Edit:

Godelsmetric knows EXACTLY what's up.

Don't you people DARE come for Kate Bush.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
To be fair, the video being boring didn't stop people proclaiming National Anthem's video as video of the year.

Of course it's getting the predictable "boring" "zzzzz" "the song is better than the video" responses, but it isn't supposed to be an epic video. The video for "National Anthem" works because it fits everything about the song and Lana Del Rey's image. It needed to be a grotesque, overproduced, amazing spectacle.

Though I'm not over the moon about the video, it works. It avoids the dumb lip-syncing of the vast majority of pop videos. It rejects the faux performance nonsense that most labels demand gets a certain proportion of time in video promos. It's just the artist dancing alone in a forest in the rain.

It's fine.

Edit:

Godelsmetric knows EXACTLY what's up.

Don't you people DARE come for Kate Bush.
I couldn't care less about the video. I was merely pointing out that if it was some mega-production, at least it would explain why it debuted so late in this songs life cycle.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
This should be the Pop-GAF manifesto:

And let's just be clear here, straight people: you are pretending. That's entertainment that is created in a lab and then focus-grouped 1000 times in order to make it as universally appealing as possible. You're free to not watch it/ listen to it. But don't say you hate it. That's like saying you hate the taste of Big Macs because they taste too popular. Have fun tidying your bedroom to that ten-minute ambient Aphex Twin track, guyz!

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-vice-guide-to-being-gay?Contentpage=4

Bladenic

The video is basically the Eurovision performance in video form.

Song remains flawless, amazing, the best of the year, etc.

Hopefully the album lives up to Euphoria.

Peru

Euphoria was the best song in the Eurovision final, but I never wanted to hear it again after the show was over.

Here's the issue: the video was posted on her Facebook page, but for some reason they screwed up and it was set to private. Then, when they got the link working, that damned "this video cannot be viewed in your country" message showed up.

So the link is to the video uploaded unofficially. I'm sure an HD version will make its appearance on YouTube shortly.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I've never heard much Kate Bush. What songs would you recommend as part of a conversion strategy?
I don't think I would recommend songs. Start with Hounds of Love (the album) and Red Shoes, then branch out from there. Basically none of her albums are bad, but I think those are her best.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Kate Bush is the same age as The Hag.

kate-bush-872610340.jpg

What kind of LIFE GIVING GODDESS.

[edit] Listening to The Red Shoes now. What kind of masterpiece album.

royalan

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I remember Aerial gettings lots of mainstream attention and hype.
It was her first album in over a decade, and the first disc was pretty average by the normal quality of her output. But disc 2 is just kind of flawlessly perfect and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Royalan... are you implying that you enjoyed Maxwell's cover of "This Woman's Work"?

jHDKB.gif

I remember Aerial gettings lots of mainstream attention and hype.

It got some.

It was certainly criminally overlooked musically and artistically, especially compared to her other work.

royalan

Royalan... are you implying that you enjoyed Maxwell's cover of "This Woman's Work"?

Oh god no! LOL

I mean, I do like Maxwell as an artist, but I never liked his cover of that song. It's completely passionless and lacks to persistent swelling of emotion that Kate conveys in her flawless delivery.

Maxwell's...just sort of goes nowhere...

Lear

I never post in here (because y'all hoes are crazy) but I observe from a distance, but I am so here for Kate Bush stanning. Queen of queens, slaying your faves for decades.

Majmun

Ummm...that is JUJUBEE. FAVORITE Queen from Rupaul's Drag Race season 2.

(She came in 3rd the season that crazed Beyonce stan queen won)

Hmm ok. Never watched any of the Rupaul shows. They seem funny, and are pobably full of drama. The show never aired here, I think.

Lear

Crazy hoes are my favourite type of person though, it's a term of endearment.

Kate Bush album ranking (though all are flawless tbh)

The Dreaming
Hounds of Love
Aerial
The Kick Inside
50 Words for Snow
Director's Cut
The Sensual World
Never for Ever
The Red Shoes
Lionheart

Status
Not open for further replies.