• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
But Beatles shade is? Not here for double standards tbh.

No one shaded the beatles.

I provided receipts, sis. If you've got a problem tell me what it is. Otherwise I'll assume that your counterargument amounts to wishful thinking.

The beatles pre-date Madonna, and have released more albums than most artist (including MJ). No one is saying they aren't popular, and worthy of their recognition, but obviously they have an advantage here.

However, none of the Beatles' albums have matched Thriller or Bad in terms of sales and world-wide appeal.

You're also forgetting that Michael Jackson's career is split into two successful areas: Band/Solo artist. He was successful in the Jackson 5, and even more successful when he cut his lessor siblings loose.

Michael Jackson is also successful across multiple media/entertainment platforms: This Is It is the highest grossing documentary of all time, Thriller is the best selling album of all time, and hell, even his video games have sold more than any other musical act.

He's also a pedophile
ibanTdegZrdj9t.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
No one shaded the beatles.

No-one shaded MJ either.

The beatles pre-date Madonna, and have released more albums than most artist (including MJ). No one is saying they aren't popular, and worthy of their recognition, but obviously they have an advantage here.

However, none of the Beatles' albums have matched Thriller or Bad in terms of sales and world-wide appeal.

You're also forgetting that Michael Jackson's career is split into two successful areas: Band/Solo artist. He was successful in the Jackson 5, and even more successful when he cut his lessor siblings loose.

Michael Jackson is also successful across multiple media/entertainment platforms: This Is It is the highest grossing documentary of all time, Thriller is the best selling album of all time, and hell, even his video games have sold more than any other musical act.

So your reply is that MJ is not as successful as The Beatles.

Then we're in agreement, since The Beatles are the most successful recording artist of all time.

Thanks sis. I knew that even the Xtincta stan reality distortion field couldn't hold up under the withering assault of The Beatles' successes.

HiResDes

He's also a pedophile
ibanTdegZrdj9t.gif

Where are the receipts?
No-one shaded MJ either.

So your reply is that MJ is not as successful as The Beatles.

Then we're in agreement, since The Beatles are the most successful recording artist of all time.

Thanks sis. I knew that even the Xtincta stan reality distortion field couldn't hold up under the withering assault of The Beatles' successes.

The Beatles conquered music. MJ transcended it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Not to play a semantics game, but you didn't say this prior. So you were wrong, prior.

If they're the most successful recording of artist of all time they're obviously more successful than MJ, hun. That's how logic works.

The Beatles conquered music. MJ transcended it.

Oh sis. The Beatles practically invented pop music. Just listen to what was popular before them and what became popular after them. Their mark on the entirety of pop culture is unmatched by virtually any other musical artist in the 20th century, including anybody who came after them. Only Presley could be said to have left as much of a mark.

So you all can get to know my taste (or lack thereof) a bit better, I've compiled a list of linky-poos for my favorite song from each of pop-gaf's faves. And Christina.

My favorite CHRISTINA AGUILERA song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezz_Zq5I4Cw

My favorite BEYONCE song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-CCfJowxC8

My favorite BRITNEY SPEARS song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJWtLf4-WWs

My favorite LADY GAGA song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okq8xHrIZ8I

My favorite MADONNA song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJQSAiODqI

My favorite KATY PERRY song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahha3Cqe_fk

My favorite RIHANNA song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ2nCGawrSY

My favorite ROBYN song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYI7wj0w0-M

My favorite NICKI MINAJ song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6haW4eJ8-E

deal_with_it.gif

botty

Banned
If they're the most successful recording of artist of all time they're obviously more successful than MJ, hun. That's how logic works.

Michael Jackson has more world wide appeal, and recognition than the Beatles. I also already mentioned that his success is not limited to just music. As a force in the entertainment industry, Michael Jackson is more successful than the Beatles.

royalan

I think what Botty's getting at is that MJ's overall influence might be greater, considering his empire expanded to cover more than just music. Michael Jackson was the epitome of Entertainment in his prime. An all-around showman. An Alpha Brand. I don't think any artist ever holds a stronger claim on that than him...though you two may have a better grasp on the receipts than I do.

Oh sis. The Beatles practically invented pop music. Just listen to what was popular before them and what became popular after them. Their mark on the entirety of pop culture is unmatched by virtually any other musical artist in the 20th century, including anybody who came after them. Only Presley could be said to have left as much of a mark.

False.

I won't shade The Beatles or deny their influence, but I would say the Doo-Wop/Motown movements of the same era have had just as great (or greater) an influence on where Pop music is, and the Beatles had no part in that.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Michael Jackson has more world wide appeal, and recognition than the Beatles. I also already mentioned that his success is not limited to just music. As a force in the entertainment industry, Michael Jackson is more successful than the Beatles.

Sis you are so completely off-base with all of these comments I'm actually slightly embarrassed for you. The Beatles are the best selling artist WORLD-WIDE, and their forays into other entertainment areas are timeless classics.

Lets see the receipts for A Hard Day's Night:

It was successful both financially and critically; it was rated by Time magazine as one of the all-time great 100 films.[1] British critic Leslie Halliwell described it as a "comic fantasia with music; an enormous commercial success with the director trying every cinematic gag in the book" and awarded it a full four stars.[2] The film is credited with having influenced 1960s spy films, The Monkees' television show and pop music videos.

British critic Leslie Halliwell states the film's influence as "... it led directly to all the kaleidoscopic swinging London spy thrillers and comedies of the later sixties..."[2] In particular, the visuals and storyline are credited with inspiring The Monkees' television series.[30] The "Can't Buy Me Love" segment borrowed stylistically from Richard Lester's earlier The Running Jumping & Standing Still Film and it is this segment, in particular using the innovative technique of cutting the images to the beat of the music, which has been cited as a precursor of modern music videos.[31][32][33][34] Roger Ebert goes even further, crediting Lester for a more pervasive influence, even constructing "a new grammar": "he influenced many other films. Today when we watch TV and see quick cutting, hand-held cameras, interviews conducted on the run with moving targets, quickly intercut snatches of dialogue, music under documentary action and all the other trademarks of the modern style, we are looking at the children of A Hard Day's Night".[24]

As a force in the entertainment industry The Beatles are without peers. Now take several seats before you embarrass yourself further, dear.

False.

I won't shade The Beatles or deny their influence, but I would say the Doo-Wop/Motown movements of the same era have had just as great (or greater) an influence on where Pop music is, and the Beatles had no part in that.

Sis I am not going to even imply a hint of shade for Doo-Wop or Motown but they were undeniable influences on The Beatles as well especially Paul's writing. I would still say that no single artist has had the influence of The Beatles in shaping the sound of modern pop tho tbh.

I think The Beatles played the biggest hand in the cultural aspect of pop music. The way their albums were packaged and how the four men themselves were marketed to the public. They were the first major pop act to release radio singles on an international, organized level, and follow them up with tours and setlists around the world. It's the style they adopted (even if they weren't the first, they were the first MAJOR pop act to have the modern style of marketing/radio promotion) that is the standard by which all modern pop acts try to enact.

botty

Banned
Sis you are so completely off-base with all of these comments I'm actually slightly embarrassed for you. The Beatles are the best selling artist WORLD-WIDE, and their forays into other entertainment areas are timeless classics.

Lets see the receipts for A Hard Day's Night:

As a force in the entertainment industry The Beatles are without peers. Now take several seats before you embarrass yourself further, dear.

A Hard Day's Night - Box office ~£2,500,000 (~$6,165,000)

Michael Jackson's This Is It - Box office $261,183,588

The Wiz - Box office $13,600,000

iWEbX0pB95tNz.gif

Kyon

Banned
When receipts are being produced is when I'm listening tbh. That is the true art of stanning you can't turn back when the papers are thrown in ya face #clapback. Awaiting the replies.

iWEbX0pB95tNz.gif

EDIT: Botty it would be EXTRA great if you provide your sources/links when you produce a receipt that way the FACTS cant be DENIED because the opposing will believe it came out of thin air :)

botty

Banned
EDIT: Botty it would be EXTRA great if you provide your sources/links when you produce a receipt that way the FACTS cant be DENIED because the opposing will believe it came out of thin air :)

Kyon, he started using wikipedia as his source for receipts... so then I began doing it too.

tumblr_m6p7qjMJjs1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

tumblr_m6p7x108Yq1ql5yr7o1_r2_500.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
A Hard Day's Night - Box office ~£2,500,000 (~$6,165,000)

Michael Jackson's This Is It - Box office $261,183,588

The Wiz - Box office $13,600,000

iWEbX0pB95tNz.gif

Sis you can't even get your arguments straight. First I provide receipts that The Beatles are the most successful artist of all time so you turn around and say 'ohhh MJ got the biggest influence in entertainment ohhh you aren't taking that into account'. So I point out that their forays into entertainment have been more influential and you turn around and say 'ohhh but MJ has bigger receipts'.

Just what I needed for this weather tbh a good pair of FLIP FLOPS.

For his goddamn obligatory cash-cow posthumous documentary. In ten years time people wont even remember This Is It existed but A Hard Days Night's influence will endure forever.
As for This Is It lets wait for the inevitable cash cow Beatles posthumous documentary tbh before we even compare receipts on that front.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
TBH I literally can't even believe that you gurls are even trying to drag The Beatles. I can deal with your misinformed assess having erroneous opinions about Gods Aloud, but not the Fab Four.

I am taking a break from this thread to recoup from this offensive display of disrespect.

audrey-hepburn-how-to7gjku.gif

TBH I literally can't even believe that you gurls are even trying to drag The Beatles. I can deal with your misinformed assess having erroneous opinions about Gods Aloud, but not the Fab Four.

I am taking a break from this thread to recoup from this offensive display of disrespect.

audrey-hepburn-how-to7gjku.gif

Indeed. People need to learn to respect the godfathers of pop.

tumblr_m6g99cmbuw1r4yvfyo1_500.gif

botty

Banned
But godels... look at your receipt again.

British critic Leslie Halliwell states the film's influence as "... it led directly to all the kaleidoscopic swinging London spy thrillers and comedies of the later sixties..."[2] In particular, the visuals and storyline are credited with inspiring The Monkees' television series.[30] The "Can't Buy Me Love" segment borrowed stylistically from Richard Lester's earlier The Running Jumping & Standing Still Film and it is this segment, in particular using the innovative technique of cutting the images to the beat of the music, which has been cited as a precursor of modern music videos.[31][32][33][34] Roger Ebert goes even further, crediting Lester for a more pervasive influence, even constructing "a new grammar": "he influenced many other films. Today when we watch TV and see quick cutting, hand-held cameras, interviews conducted on the run with moving targets, quickly intercut snatches of dialogue, music under documentary action and all the other trademarks of the modern style, we are looking at the children of A Hard Day's Night".[24]

You credited The Beatles for the influence and work of Richard Lestor.
ikXOi4ww3zHNU.gif

#ProofReadThatBitch

ibxmtrb2BSkfYC.gif

botty

Banned
And I ain't exactly seen you credit Quincy Jones, hun.

You produced a receipt that literally had nothing to do with The Beatles' influence... where as Michael Jackson has at the very least co-produced, written, or been the brains behind all of his most iconic works (as a solo artist at least). Quincy Jones is definitely a huge influence on music as a whole... I won't discredit him on that.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You produced a receipt that literally had nothing to do with The Beatles' influence... where as Michael Jackson has at the very least co-produced, written, or been the brains behind all of his most iconic works (as a solo artist at least). Quincy Jones is definitely a huge influence on music as a whole... I won't discredit him on that.

So now a film starring The Beatles has nothing to do with The Beatles' influence.

Xtincta stan parallel world thinking is truly baffling tbh.

And I'm sure that MJ was the brains behind a documentary that was produced AFTER HE DIED, and not greedy execs EAGER FOR CASH.

botty

Banned
So now a film starring The Beatles has nothing to do with The Beatles' influence.

Xtincta stan parallel world thinking is truly baffling tbh.

And I'm sure that MJ was the brains behind a documentary that was produced AFTER HE DIED, and not greedy execs EAGER FOR CASH.

1rqjgn.gif

The "influences" you bolded had nothing to do with The Beatles, and Lestor was explicitly mentioned.

It would be like someone saying Pulp Fiction had great story telling, and direction because of Uma Thurman's acting. I'm sure The Beatles added some flair to the movie, but you aren't given credit where it is due.

Oh, and have you even seen Michael Jackson's This is It? Despite the documentary being a cash cow, he IS the movie.

tumblr_m1de8nrGU31qfhaoro1_400.gif

for thoughts of even stanning caca. After The Fame Monster she took everything that made her...well popular and threw it out the window. Man I remember the build behind Born this Way and how great it was going to be that had to be the biggest let down in recent music history

But Christopher, when I said return to form I was referring to The Fame/Monster era.

ibxmtrb2BSkfYC.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
1rqjgn.gif

The "influences" you bolded had nothing to do with The Beatles, and Lestor was explicitly mentioned.

It would be like someone saying Pulp Fiction had great story telling, and direction because of Uma Thurman's acting. I'm sure The Beatles added some flair to the movie, but you aren't given credit where it is due.

Oh come off it. Nobody in this thread is crediting the people behind the stars with anything. Lets credit MJ's father with his entire career considering how instrumental he was during their early years.

Besides which you're not even sticking to it now. You're ignoring that there were FIVE MEMBERS of the Jackson 5 (clue is in the name, hun) and that you think MJ is somehow related in any way outside of providing music for videogames that were released after he was dead.

Besides which, YOU went in for the Fab Four by insisting they weren't the most successful. I provided receipts showing they were. Get off my case, you were wrong, end of story. Now leave me alone, your constantly shifting goalposts are doing my head in.

iibtjiqg738y0cojhk.gif

botty

Banned
Oh come off it. Nobody in this thread is crediting the people behind the stars with anything.

Besides which you're not even sticking to it now. You're ignoring that there were FIVE MEMBERS of the Jackson 5 (clue is in the name, hun) and that you think MJ is somehow related in any way outside of providing music for videogames that were released after he was dead.

Besides which, YOU went in for the Fab Four by insisting they weren't the most successful. I provided receipts showing they were. Get off my case, you were wrong, end of story. Now leave me alone, your constantly shifting goalposts are doing my head in.

You are the one who provided the receipt about crediting someone behind the stars. Hell, you even bolded it.

Just as Paul and John WERE the beatles, Michael WAS the jackson 5. Both acts crumble without them as time has shown. And I think you might want to check your facts on Michael's involvement with video games.

Also, I didn't go after The Beatles, I just said that Michael was the King of Pop.

But I will leave you alone... for now.

ibxmtrb2BSkfYC.gif

royalan

I think The Beatles played the biggest hand in the cultural aspect of pop music. The way their albums were packaged and how the four men themselves were marketed to the public. They were the first major pop act to release radio singles on an international, organized level, and follow them up with tours and setlists around the world. It's the style they adopted (even if they weren't the first, they were the first MAJOR pop act to have the modern style of marketing/radio promotion) that is the standard by which all modern pop acts try to enact.

I agree with the bolded. I think in a lot of ways The Beatles set the standard for how modern Pop acts market themselves (specifically with marketing groups as individual personalities instead of as a means to a sound). Very few acts bothered to promote themselves heavily around the world before The Beatles, as well.

My response to goldel was speaking more to the music. In which case I think a LOT of what makes up modern Pop music was present in the era itself and had jack shit to do with anything The Beatles were doing. Heck, groups like The Ronettes, The Supremes, and The Shangri-Las established the very blueprint that modern female groups still follow (and the J-Pop/K-Pop industry in their ENTIRETY these days owes everything to them). And solo acts owe more to the solo acts of the period than they do The Beatles. Elvis, Jackie Wilson, Janis Joplin...these acts contributed just as much (if not more) to what Pop music SOUNDS like today.

The 60s was just a pivotal decade for Pop music. It cannot be stressed enough.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I agree with the bolded. I think in a lot of ways The Beatles set the standard for how modern Pop acts market themselves (specifically with marketing groups as individual personalities instead of as a means to a sound). Very few acts bothered to promote themselves heavily around the world before The Beatles, as well.

My response to goldel was speaking more to the music. In which case I think a LOT of what makes up modern Pop music was present in the era itself and had jack shit to do with anything The Beatles were doing. Heck, groups like The Ronettes, The Supremes, and The Shangri-Las established the very blueprint that modern female groups still follow (and the J-Pop/K-Pop industry in their ENTIRETY these days owns everything to them). And solo acts owe more to the solo acts of the period than they do The Beatles. Elvis, Jackie Wilson, Janis Joplin...these acts contributed just as much (if not more) to what Pop music SOUNDS like today.

I agree to some extent. But I also think that if you go back and listen to what chart music sounded like before The Beatles and after The Beatles, you literally cannot deny that they had an enormous influence. Even with stuff like Tomorrow Never Knows where they were experimenting with novel sounds and novel ways of recording, the influence that had on musicians that followed leading to electronic influences in pop etc.

I mean yeah, Elvis had an influence on it. But The Beatles took that influence and turned it into something else, and what The Beatles did with it is what's stuck around, not so much what Elvis was doing with it beforehand. That's not to deny that Elvis had a huge influence, perhaps second only to The Beatles, but their mark on music is completely indelible.

I was more taking issue with the idea that MJ somehow 'transcended music' but The Beatles apparently didn't. Their influence on popular culture and even society is vastly greater than MJ's. If any artist can legitimately be said to have transcended music The Beatles surely did, and there are very few other artists who could make that claim. Maybe only Elvis.

Bladenic

The last two pages are truly nauseating and perhaps the darkest blemish on GAF... ever.

First Godel with the America hate. I shouldn't expect less from some uppity Brit but still.

Then this whole discussion. I ain't even gonna try to get into it. Although I side with Godel, strangely enough.

Also Soulscribe you couldn't have possibly picked a worse favorite from Perra. Well you could have if you picked Peacock, Circle the Drain, or Part of Me. But still.

Speaking of Perra... GAF I think I'm becoming Wide Awake ;___:

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You are the one who provided the receipt about crediting someone behind the stars. Hell, you even bolded it.

Just as Paul and John WERE the beatles, Michael WAS the jackson 5. Both acts crumble without them as time has shown. And I think you might want to check your facts on Michael's involvement with video games.

Also, I didn't go after The Beatles, I just said that Michael was the King of Pop.

But I will leave you alone... for now.

ibxmtrb2BSkfYC.gif

tbh sis I actually forgot about his earlier videogames. I thought you meant those dancing games.

royalan

Then this whole discussion. I ain't even gonna try to get into it. Although I side with Godel, strangely enough.

What's wrong with this discussion? I think it's pretty good. Nothing wrong with a little debate...

Besides, any music topic that gives me an excuse to namedrop The Shangri-Las and Janis Joplin in the same paragraph is A-OK by me. :)

DMeisterJ

Banned
The last two pages are truly nauseating and perhaps the darkest blemish on GAF... ever.

First Godel with the America hate. I shouldn't expect less from some uppity Brit but still.

Also Soulscribe you couldn't have possibly picked a worse favorite from Perra. Well you could have if you picked Peacock, Circle the Drain, or Part of Me. But still.

Speaking of Perra... GAF I think I'm becoming Wide Awake ;___:

I was with you all the way until the last line.
Petra? Really?

I think the last 170 pages or so are the GAF blemish, tbh, tho.

Bladenic

Not another one
ATP9S.gif

LOL I don't mean I'm gonna stan. The only time I would've stanned for Perra was when Cali Gurls came out. That was my jam of Summer 2010 and also I was younger and much easier enticed by dem boobs. I just mean that the song itself is growing on me, bleh.

Also nothing wrong with the discussion. It is what's being said that's making me sick.

Although I'm exagerrating of course.

Kyon

Banned
Hey I'm just grateful that It's not the original posters from the beginning here only. This thread would've been on page 100 still. I love all the new people and the random COMEBACK this thread has made the past few months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom