• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

That sort of feels like a backhanded compliment. "Your fanservice is nothing to me. Fork over $60 bucks before I forget your name." i guess since their autograph could potentially sell for more than the ticket price the signer wants a piece of the action.

What I meant by my comment was, he seemed very unhappy. :(

The captain Sulu thing is real, but did Frakes ever really pitch such a show? It always seemed to me to be a tongue-in-cheek thing that he and Sirtis tell as a joke at conventions.

Frakes developed and was onboard for the Captain Worf show...which still seems to be the most likely choice for a post TNG show.

antonz

oh forgot my most important autograph ;) George Takei signing as he and Sulu on a Starfleet Academy Diploma that they used to have at the Star Trek Experience.

Do I need to watch the first JJ Abrams Trek movie before the newest one?

You don't have too but you'll probably get caught off guard with the new universe a bit

Slayven

They ever explain why Fed ships have saucers. Always bothered me that every other race had better looking ships that weren't huge targets.

Ducarmel

Do they have to honer JJ Abrams changes.

Since only trek fans will watch the tv show, could they not explain away JJ Abrams version as an alternate reality versions of the Star Trek universe.

teiresias

I rather feel sorry for Prime Spock in Abram's alternate universe. He's stuck in the past that is already far different from the past he knew and is no doubt moving to a totally different future. Essentially, all of Prime Spock's deeds and accomplishments are essentially abolished and never to exist - and apparently he's just stewing away on New Vulcan not doing much - and to top it all off most people will know Quinto Spock and his deeds going forward, which will be completely foreign to Prime Spock.

Unless one wants to argue that the Prime universe still actually exists - in a Fringe-ian sort of way - and that Prime Spock simply doesn't have the technology to actually both go forward in time and cross quantum universes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The point of the new movies is that the original timeline still exists. Except that we know that the Trek universe doesn't work that way because in the 30th century, we have time cops posing as chefs on the first Enterprise.

But hey, Star Trek is pretty stupid anyway. lol

teiresias

The point of the new movies is that the original timeline still exists. Except that we know that the Trek universe doesn't work that way because in the 30th century, we have time cops posing as chefs on the first Enterprise.

But hey, Star Trek is pretty stupid anyway. lol

Time travel has never really made sense in the series, and they've never really bothered to deal with the quantum effects of such things (and honestly, I don't know enough about the physics to know what the actual modern academic literature theorizes about such things - ie. can you travel to the past and actually change something? If so are you able to then "hop" realities and return to your own future from where you are now rather than the future that would result from your actions?)

Fuchsdh

Time travel has never really made sense in the series, and they've never really bothered to deal with the quantum effects of such things (and honestly, I don't know enough about the physics to know what the actual modern academic literature theorizes about such things - ie. can you travel to the past and actually change something? If so are you able to then "hop" realities and return to your own future from where you are now rather than the future that would result from your actions?)

Yeah time travel doesn't always make sense, but science when it comes to alternate realities and co. is utter bunk too. I don't see how math can "prove" there are 9 different universes, let alone an infinite one. It's simply too speculative right now to say that "this interpretation of time travel makes no sense". What matters more is consistency within the stories.

As for my ideal Star Trek show:

Old Trek, for one. Let JJ or co. have their reboot, it worked once before I don't think people are going to be confused by two different time periods. Setting it to account for real-world time that's elapsed would make it roughly 2390, which seems fine to me. Make it character-driven and semi-serialized. I'd love to see what Starfleet's been up to, how the Alpha Quadrant has recovered from the Dominion War, and what total galactic war really does to people (in particular, would there be a schism between people who "served" during the war, and the younger generation who missed it? Would younger officers command the same respect as war heroes?)

I also really want to go back to the Delta Quadrant. Give us another wormhole, maybe, even if it feels like it's ripping off DS9. I want a ship that can get home but is largely out of contact--a frontier vessel that can't immediately contact home for orders. I'd also love to get some continuity out of the repercussions of Voyager's journey--I figure 20 years would give time for legend to spread across much of the quadrant.

Either way, considering how much Trek is out there, the only way to me to make things fresh is to focus on the characters. I wouldn't mind seeing similar plots as previous episodes (it's practically unavoidable at this point), but making it character-driven means that you can avoid similar set-ups from feeling like repeats. Give me a DS9-like character interplay, where people are on the same sides, but don't always get along. Even if you solve hunger and material needs in the future, people are still going to get on each other's nerves.

Also: I'd love for some real legacy to get attached to the Iconians. Other franchises have done wonders with their ancient alien precursors (Halo, for instance) that it feels like a mine for story.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The problem with Trek is that it features both a singular timeline and infinite alternate realities, least of which is the stupid Mirror Universe that became such junk in DS9.

So on the one hand Worf flies through some Quantum anomaly and keeps jumping timelines until he's married to Deanna, while on the other hand you have things like The Visitor or various other DS9 episodes where alternate futures get completely retconned because something is changed in the past.

It's whatever is convenient, really. lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
They ever explain why Fed ships have saucers. Always bothered me that every other race had better looking ships that weren't huge targets.

IIRC, something about the shape being better suited for warp travel. Klingons decided to go with a less efficient design that's more suited for combat.

The problem with Trek is that it features both a singular timeline and infinite alternate realities, least of which is the stupid Mirror Universe that became such junk in DS9.

So on the one hand Worf flies through some Quantum anomaly and keeps jumping timelines until he's married to Deanna, while on the other hand you have things like The Visitor or various other DS9 episodes where alternate futures get completely retconned because something is changed in the past.

Doesn't really bother me too much.

Zen

Banned
I rather feel sorry for Prime Spock in Abram's alternate universe. He's stuck in the past that is already far different from the past he knew and is no doubt moving to a totally different future. Essentially, all of Prime Spock's deeds and accomplishments are essentially abolished and never to exist - and apparently he's just stewing away on New Vulcan not doing much - and to top it all off most people will know Quinto Spock and his deeds going forward, which will be completely foreign to Prime Spock.

Unless one wants to argue that the Prime universe still actually exists - in a Fringe-ian sort of way - and that Prime Spock simply doesn't have the technology to actually both go forward in time and cross quantum universes.

Though you might feel sorry for him, I doubt Old Spock has the go to let it affect him other than sadness. Presumably he's doing good work on new Vulcan, and has faith in himself and his friends on-board the enterprise to carry on doing the right thing regardless of circumstance.

And we can argue the second point - officially - though it's had wavvy bullshit meant to placate the hardcore. I'm not sure how they rationalized it with episodes like Yesterday's Enterprise and First contact existing, but there we are.

Just got back from STID.

tumblr_lotoxjLlza1qb1jdm.gif

So good.

I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, and while I wouldn't say that it's of the quality of Wrath of Khan, relative to its time, it was a really really good summer film and even slightly more 'trek' like than its predecessor. I really liked how well Spock and Kirk were written, and particularly their friendship and exposition. I was worried that the film would have the 'your father was captain of a starship for 6 minutes' character expository dialogue to a minimum, but it actually had much much more of it over 09 and it was great. The characters felt like more mature, but still younger versions of themselves but they carried themselves in such a way that I felt like their eventual evolution into who we see in TOS
is never in question. This is Kirk, Spock, and Bones to the core.

I guess there are other better thread to talk about it in, but I'd honestly rather talk about it in some measure of detail in the hardcore trekkies thread where it wouldn't get as drown out, so I might. You are my people. :p

But even before that, they did a much better job refining the presentation of the new Enterprise. It looked far less bulbous than it did in 09, and had a very legitimate Trek look to it in profile. I even really liked the changes to the neck and hull, were as it looked awkward in 09.

Hopefully Star Trek 3 shows a return to the more colorful profile of 09. They actually did a fantastic job with the more muted palettes of ID, but the aesthetics of 09 just seemed a bit more classic Trek to me.

I read on Memory Alpha that the whole point of the additions for the Enterprise-B was so that they wouldn't have to damage the studio model for the sake of a certain scene. The only problem was that the adhesive they used to add the pieces to the secondary hull ended up damaging it anyway, so they left the stuff on for the Lakota in DS9.

Yeah it's kinda funny how the physical limitations of models would sometimes dictate what we ended up seeing on screen. Like the Lakota example, before then we only saw normal Excelsior class ships in TNG and DS9, but after Generations the B-type started appearing.

When I see the Nebula class starship I just think some studio guy thought he'd be clever and glued some leftover Enterprise pieces together. It looks ridiculous.

xMR11WP.jpg

Fuchsdh

The mirror universe only became junk after the first DS9 episode, which was pretty good. Then they milked it dry.

Zzoram

I basically never like time travel stories because they never make sense.

I like how DS9 probably has the least time travel of all the Trek shows. The time travel episodes are also largely skip able.

In the case of Voyager, the lost ship trope also freed them up from dealing with alpha quadrant continuity. And in theory, would let them do more original story lines with new and compelling alien species.

In theory...
Maybe I'm crazy, but I always thought the more compelling storyline would be for them to accept their fate – even with 24th Century life spans most of the crew would be dead or close to it if they ever made it home.

Imagining the USS Voyager trying to be the ambassador of the Federation in the Delta Quadrant and having that evolve into a storyline where they begin to found an extension of the Federation/Starfleet there seemed intriguing to me.

And I suppose once they had firmly established themselves an possible opportunity to get home appearing would make for a compelling story about where they considered home to be.

But then again, it'd fail since Janeway would have been a terrible ambassador (Chakotay on the other hand...).

obin_gam

Trying to watch TOS again, it isnt going very well. I mean, I like the setting and characters, but the episodes are SO BLOODY BORING I keep falling asleep in the middle of them. 50 minutes is way to long for a show of this kind.

Could anyone recomend me the best episodes of TOS? Like an essential viewing list of the good episodes, so I can manage to get through the whole series without missing too much.

Trying to watch TOS again, it isnt going very well. I mean, I like the setting and characters, but the episodes are SO BLOODY BORING I keep falling asleep in the middle of them. 50 minutes is way to long for a show of this kind.

Could anyone recomend me the best episodes of TOS? Like an essential viewing list of the good episodes, so I can manage to get through the whole series without missing too much.

Are you just starting from the beginning of Season 1? It's a real slog until they figure stuff out.

obin_gam

Are you just starting from the beginning of Season 1? It's a real slog until they figure stuff out.

Yep, all the way from the beginning. About a year or so ago I tried it and went about halfway through the first season, but it took some time. Now I want to revisit it and give it a second chance since it's so easy now on netflix. But I really dont want to go through every single one of them again because I remember some really boring ones.

I know about some good episodes, the menangerie, trouble with tribbles and space seed, but I'm at a lost for the rest.

Yep, all the way from the beginning. About a year or so ago I tried it and went about halfway through the first season, but it took some time. Now I want to revisit it and give it a second chance since it's so easy now on netflix. But I really dont want to go through every single one of them again because I remember some really boring ones.

I know about some good episodes, the menangerie, trouble with tribbles and space seed, but I'm at a lost for the rest.

Avoid Mudd's Women.

maharg

idspispopd
TOS isn't really a show you marathon. The lack of continuity means every episode qualifies in some way as filler. Just find episodes that sound interesting and watch them when you feel like it, eventually you may wind up watching all of them. Or maybe not, but that's ok too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I basically never like time travel stories because they never make sense.

I like how DS9 probably has the least time travel of all the Trek shows. The time travel episodes are also largely skip able.
Off hand, DS9 had three time travel episodes and three mirror universe episodes. There might have been more, but I can't remember.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm almost positive DS9 Had more than 3 mirror universe episodes....

1. First one with Bashir and Kira
2. Second one with Sisko
3. Third one with Sisko, Jake and Jennifer
4. One with Bareil
5. Quark and Rom steal the cloaking device.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's the cloak one, aka "everyone forget that we showed cloaking before, to give this excuse of hot women making out have a reason to exist."
The best part is that someone wrote mirror universe books where all the female characters pretty much hook up with each other. Hooray for the book canon. lol

Fuchsdh

The best part is that someone wrote mirror universe books where all the female characters pretty much hook up with each other. Hooray for the book canon. lol

I dunno if it all started with Kira's obsession with herself in the first episode, but I took that as narcissism to a disturbing (and sexy!) degree, not really lesbianism. After that though... man.

Despite how badly the mirror universe was handled, though, I'd kind of like to return to it. Not in a "mirror universe" way, because you figure by now that makes no sense, but more seeing what the resistance fighters are doing since they pretty much crippled the Alliance. There's plenty of opportunities to contrast the universes without going the straight mirror route now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dunno if it all started with Kira's obsession with herself in the first episode, but I took that as narcissism to a disturbing (and sexy!) degree, not really lesbianism. After that though... man.

Despite how badly the mirror universe was handled, though, I'd kind of like to return to it. Not in a "mirror universe" way, because you figure by now that makes no sense, but more seeing what the resistance fighters are doing since they pretty much crippled the Alliance. There's plenty of opportunities to contrast the universes without going the straight mirror route now.

The problem was that the Mirror Universe started off as a 60s science fiction premise - meant to be used one to make an allegorical point - trying to actually build it into something beyond that was a fan exercise more than anything else. Even Manny Coto couldn't resist and had one in Enterprise, of all shows, complete with an alternate opening credits sequence.

Fuchsdh

The problem was that the Mirror Universe started off as a 60s science fiction premise - meant to be used one to make an allegorical point - trying to actually build it into something beyond that was a fan exercise more than anything else. Even Manny Coto couldn't resist and had one in Enterprise, of all shows, complete with an alternate opening credits sequence.

Well, "In A Mirror Darkly" was a bit more forgivable because it came before the two universes really ran into each other (I'd love to know how finding the Defiant didn't dramatically change the mirror universe's tech though.) After "Mirror, Mirror", however, the universes diverged dramatically, so a lot of the point is as you said gone from the allegory. That doesn't mean alternate versions of characters can't be used for dramatic or character-building reasons, though, they just have to avoid the fan servicey nonsense, or indulging the actors in "now you get to play someone different!"

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Well, "In A Mirror Darkly" was a bit more forgivable because it came before the two universes really ran into each other (I'd love to know how finding the Defiant didn't dramatically change the mirror universe's tech though.) After "Mirror, Mirror", however, the universes diverged dramatically, so a lot of the point is as you said gone from the allegory. That doesn't mean alternate versions of characters can't be used for dramatic or character-building reasons, though, they just have to avoid the fan servicey nonsense, or indulging the actors in "now you get to play someone different!"
I thought about that and I'm guessing that if they didn't find the Defiant in the Prime Universe, the Mirror Universe would have evolved slower. The only reason the Mirror one were up to speed with the Prime one technologically speaking was because Cochrane and gang ransacked the Vulcan first contact ship. They were too barbaric to really go much further technologically at the same pace the primary one did. So, it explains more or less why the Mirrorverse was up to speed in TOS and DS9 (can't remember if we saw Mirrorverse in TNG or Voyager).

jb1234

Avoid Mudd's Women.

So awful. I had the misfortune of watching that one the other night. There are other TOS episodes (especially early on) which can't sustain their 50-minute length but none nearly as offensively as "Mudd's Women." It's like ten minutes of plot stretched out to fifty.

Top Bottom