• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Definitely Voyager. It had two better written and acted contemporaries and was just a glorified Lost in Space.

It's really weird how often showrunners want to do the "our spaceship is stuck in the middle of nowhere, unable to get home" trope. They teased it in Stargate SG-1, did it for real in Stargate: Atlantis, did it for real again in Stargate: Universe, did it (more or less) in Battlestar Galactica twice, Red Dwarf, and the aforementioned Star Trek and Lost in Space examples... It doesn't seem to typically make for very effective drama on its own, as it tends to impose limitations that writers prefer to work around rather than work with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCRjioC3ylY

maharg

idspispopd
It's really weird how often showrunners want to do the "our spaceship is stuck in the middle of nowhere, unable to get home" trope. They teased it in Stargate SG-1, did it for real in Stargate: Atlantis, did it for real again in Stargate: Universe, did it (more or less) in Battlestar Galactica twice, Red Dwarf, and the aforementioned Star Trek and Lost in Space examples... It doesn't seem to typically make for very effective drama on its own, as it tends to impose limitations that writers prefer to work around rather than work with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCRjioC3ylY

Adventures are more exciting when the character has no home base. Lost in * is an easy trope to get there.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
In the case of Voyager, the lost ship trope also freed them up from dealing with alpha quadrant continuity. And in theory, would let them do more original story lines with new and compelling alien species.

In theory...

Fuchsdh

In the case of Voyager, the lost ship trope also freed them up from dealing with alpha quadrant continuity. And in theory, would let them do more original story lines with new and compelling alien species.

In theory...

One thing I do have to give them credit for, while they never exploited the potential of a single ship alone across the galaxy part of the equation, I think they did a good job of dealing with increasing contact with the Alpha Quadrant. Actual overall quality of the episodes aside there's a good flow in the back half of the series after the Doctor gets sent back.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
One thing I do have to give them credit for, while they never exploited the potential of a single ship alone across the galaxy part of the equation, I think they did a good job of dealing with increasing contact with the Alpha Quadrant. Actual overall quality of the episodes aside there's a good flow in the back half of the series after the Doctor gets sent back.

Yea, they missed what could have been some fantastic TV watching a Federation ship have to make it home with no help, stranded nearly 100 years from home, Enterprise somewhat touched on this in the Xindi arc when they got beaten up quite badly.

But after 5 seasons, I would be lying if I said I didn't get a little choked up when they finally got to talk through pathfinder. They tried the same on Stargate Atlantis and Universe, but it just wasn't the same when they could chat back without a problem by the end of both series first season.

I wish Ezri had been a guy. No awkward Worf bit, no continuation of the Bashir/Quark obsessive pining, no fanwank lesbian scene in the mirror universe.

Yeah that would have created a comical and great moments with worf. Truth is, dax should have stayed for the last season. They should have figured out how to make it work.

Vyroxis

Banned
On thing that always bothered me about the Borg and how the federation fought them, was why didn't the federation switch to more crude technology? It's shown time and time again that physical attacks work against them, so when a cube shows up why not quickly replicate a bunch of 21st century rifles and go headshot crazy instead of wasting time with phasers that only work for half a dozen shots?

For that matter, why not just transport an overcharged bomb into the cube and blow it all to hell? Seriously.

Fuchsdh

On thing that always bothered me about the Borg and how the federation fought them, was why didn't the federation switch to more crude technology? It's shown time and time again that physical attacks work against them, so when a cube shows up why not quickly replicate a bunch of 21st century rifles and go headshot crazy instead of wasting time with phasers that only work for half a dozen shots?

For that matter, why not just transport an overcharged bomb into the cube and blow it all to hell? Seriously.

I've always wanted a long-form series with an all out Borg war against the Alpha Quadrant to deal with them once and for all. The Federation switch to ballistic weapons, the Borg start packing on armor, etc. I assume you can't just transport onto a cube now after all the shit in Voyager (or you shouldn't at least... But VOY neutered the Borf anyhow.)

Vyroxis

Banned
I've always wanted a long-form series with an all out Borg war against the Alpha Quadrant to deal with them once and for all. The Federation switch to ballistic weapons, the Borg start packing on armor, etc. I assume you can't just transport onto a cube now after all the shit in Voyager (or you shouldn't at least... But VOY neutered the Borf anyhow.)

In the books the Borg eventually did go all out. To hell with assimilation, they came in force to just slaughter everone and everything. And they almost pulled it off. The head of the federation called for the fleet to abandon the defense of everything and go into hiding. It ends with the race that created the Borg coming back and saying 'Whoops!' and essentially making them all docile.

Hex

Banned
I'm ready for a new ST TV series.

Part of me is, a massive part of me ... but on the other hand I am terrified that what we would end up with is some kind of CW MTV teen bullshit which would be just the luck when tv is hitting its stride with so many seriously great shows being given the chance.

In the books the Borg eventually did go all out. To hell with assimilation, they came in force to just slaughter everone and everything. And they almost pulled it off. The head of the federation called for the fleet to abandon the defense of everything and go into hiding. It ends with the race that created the Borg coming back and saying 'Whoops!' and essentially making them all docile.
What book is this?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Hmm, guess that is non Canon? I first read about it on Wikipedia, but it seems to have been yanked down.

It isn't canon, as far as I am aware only the TV Shows and Films are considered canon, or atleast "pure" or "high" canon, and then there are the tech manuals and some novels that are considered canon.

For generally anything Star Trek canon Memory Alpha is the best place to look, Memory Beta is where the non-canon stuff is held, and it sounds like you were talking about the Destiny Novel Series? And the race were the Caeliar who ended up created the first borg in non-canon.

Vyroxis

Banned
It isn't canon, as far as I am aware only the TV Shows and Films are considered canon, or atleast "pure" or "high" canon, and then there are the tech manuals and some novels that are considered canon.

For generally anything Star Trek canon Memory Alpha is the best place to look, Memory Beta is where the non-canon stuff is held, and it sounds like you were talking about the Destiny Novel Series? And the race were the Caeliar who ended up created the first borg in non-canon.

Ah, thank you for correcting me.

Part of me is, a massive part of me ... but on the other hand I am terrified that what we would end up with is some kind of CW MTV teen bullshit which would be just the luck when tv is hitting its stride with so many seriously great shows being given the chance.

Oh man, yeah, I can see that now.

Star Trek: Academy - Good looking teens do Dawson's Creek in Space.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Alexander Siddig, AKA, Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi (Bashir) pops up in stuff all the time now it seems. There's actually a big push by fans to get him cast in a S4 role for Game of Thrones.

While not many major roles, John Billingsly (Phlox) has also shown up in a ton of stuff since Enterprise ended.

Why did the previous actress leave anyhow? She only had one more season to go.

She got an offer on another TV show, and she knew DS9 would only be another year of work.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That's exactly what we have now with Abrahms.

SG-1 SPOILERS NOT TO BE VIEWED BY DRFORESTER
It's like that segment in that stargate episode where they have the younger, hipper team, except then both Stargate and Star Trek did that exact thing.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
While not many major roles, John Billingsly (Phlox) has also shown up in a ton of stuff since Enterprise ended.

Connor Trinneer (Trip) used to get a few smaller character roles, plus multiple episodes in Stargate Atlantis, but I haven't seen him in anything in a while.

Fuchsdh

I think part of the reason it seems like Trek actors do nothing afterwards is most of them just do guest work instead of being major parts of a cast, and a lot of them do stage as opposed to screen work. The original series actors I do think got shafted in terms of typecasting, but considering they made a comfortable living milking Trek, it's hard to feel bad about it. I do think my subconscious adds back in Chekov's accent whenever I watch Koenig on "Babylon 5".

Michael Dorn showing up as the president for all of four minutes in "Heroes" was one of those 'why the hell did they bother' roles.

Alexander Siddig, AKA, Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi (Bashir) pops up in stuff all the time now it seems. There's actually a big push by fans to get him cast in a S4 role for Game of Thrones.

Shimmerman does a pretty healthy amount of voicework. Auberjonois seems to be doing a lot of TV work nowadays. Nana Visitor pops up more than I would have expected (she does semiregular Family Guy and was in Castle, Grim, Torchwood, the Friday the 13th reboot and BSG). Jeff Combs is all over the big popular stuff in animation, doing the most recent editions of Transformers, Ninja Turtles and Avengers. Colm Meaney seems to have regular work (though I don't recognize the stuff he's in). Penny Johnson does a shit-ton of popular television. I didn't check on anybody else, but the DS9 crew seems to overall have arguably fared better than even the TNG crew. I mean, Stewart and Frakes are doing fantastically, but Sirtis? McFadden? Crosby? Hell, Goldberg was more popular before TNG than after it, as were Burton, Schultz and probably Spiner (arguably there -- he was popular in Night Court, but he did land a role in Independence Day, but then that wasn't fully after TNG).

Michelle Forbes is a good example of somebody who survived TNG very well. Wheaton has his cult, too (and he seems to be a generally awesome guy to be around). Dorn starred in an arguably hit animated program post TNG, but he's also a DS9 guy, so that sort of cancels out in my listing.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just saw the movie. I didn't truly care for the first one but I absolutely loved this one.

brian577

Banned
Just got back from Star Trek XII. I was enjoying it even when
Harrison was revealed to be Khan
then lost my shit when
they started ripping off Star Trek II
and rolled my eyes at
KHAAAN!

Excelsior1.jpg

ExcelsiorAlt1.jpg

Dammit I hope I can get one of these. I still haven't been able to get the B.

dan2026

Just got back from Star Trek XII. I was enjoying it even when
Harrison was revealed to be Khan
then lost my shit when
they started ripping off Star Trek II
and rolled my eyes at
KHAAAN!

Yeah it was pretty bad.

Decided to watch some random TNG last night to clear my head a bit.

Watched the season 3 episode 'The Most Toys'.
A really solid and surprisingly dark Data episode.

Top Bottom