• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Fuchsdh

I can't remember is I've asked this before but here goes.

If the Abramsverse is only supposed to be like an alternate timeline from the point that Nero arrives, why does Khan look different than the Khan of the Prime Universe?

Ok, chime in and please try to avoid "because it's J J Abrams" or similar. I would like a good reason as to why this would be the case or even an official one, if such exists.

Apparently a comic series they're coming out with actually is supposed to explain this discrepancy. It'll still be completely stupid, but there's something to be said for actually recognizing it.

(Of all my issues with Into Darkness though actually having a guy who looked like Khan was admittedly low on the list.)

Jackpot

Banned
I just watched The Emperor's New Cloak and it seems when they first broadcasted it here in the UK they cut out the lesbian kiss between Ezri and Kira. I definitely wouldn't have missed it if it'd been there when I watched it as a teenager.

They showed the lesbian kiss between Jadzia and the other Trill when they broadcast it but that was critical to the plot.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
mmx4YQQ.png

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I just watched The Emperor's New Cloak and it seems when they first broadcasted it here in the UK they cut out the lesbian kiss between Ezri and Kira. I definitely wouldn't have missed it if it'd been there when I watched it as a teenager.

They showed the lesbian kiss between Jadzia and the other Trill when they broadcast it but that was critical to the plot.
That's odd they would cut it out because I live in the States and I remember seeing that back in the day. I say odd because it's usually America who censors stuff like that and Europe who's open to it. Ya know, the whole American TV is okay with violence and gore but not ok with sex.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Apparently a comic series they're coming out with actually is supposed to explain this discrepancy. It'll still be completely stupid, but there's something to be said for actually recognizing it.

(Of all my issues with Into Darkness though actually having a guy who looked like Khan was admittedly low on the list.)
Star Trek is just so dumb. lol

Let's just accept that they wanted Bumblepopandsnatch because he's a "hot" actor right now and move on with our lives. But hey, if they can sell some comic books to nerds, more power to them I guess.

That's odd they would cut it out because I live in the States and I remember seeing that back in the day. I say odd because it's usually America who censors stuff like that and Europe who's open to it. Ya know, the whole American TV is okay with violence and gore but not ok with sex.

UK censors both sex and violence.

TheYanger

Watches some random TNG.

What was the deal with Romulan Tasha again? I dont think I ever caught what happened there.

There's a SUPER good third season episode, Yesterday's Enterprise, where Tasha goes back in time on the Enterprise C. They later said that even though the ship was destroyed, Tasha survived and was taken to Romulus, and then had a daughter with a romulan. That's Sela, the 'romulan tasha'.

Comic book level convoluted, yes.

There's a SUPER good third season episode, Yesterday's Enterprise, where Tasha goes back in time on the Enterprise C. They later said that even though the ship was destroyed, Tasha survived and was taken to Romulus, and then had a daughter with a romulan. That's Sela, the 'romulan tasha'.

Oh. Didnt realise it was to do with Yesterday's Enterprise. I guess that explains it.

So romulan tasha is actually the daughter of the tasha from the alternate timeline in Yesterdays Enterprise and not TNG timeline tasha?

So dumb. I love Time Travel.

I have just started rewatching TNG with the blu-rays and never noticed that their was a man wearing a dress in the first episode.
Was talking about this with someone the other day. Haven't seen that since I was about five.
The skant. I keep hoping for it to show up in Star Trek Online since they've got to be running low on things from the canon they haven't already done.
I really should stop reading Memory Alpha after every episode. So many spoilers with no warning at all. I like knowing the cool trivia and background stuff though.
I've long wished wikis had some sort of "spoiler markup language" that would hide content you shouldn't know about yet. Let you safely check out the information like you mention, or remind yourself who some returning guest character is, without telling you EVERYTHING.
Why would they even try to make romulans and vulcans different. they're basically the same fucking thing minus 1000 years.
Well if only Enterprise was around longer they could've explained it!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Well if only Enterprise was around longer they could've explained it!

genetic engineering/gene therapy to overcome the physiological effects of not restraining Vulcan emotion

alternatively, an attempt to engineer their own augments using captured Klingons, therefore ridges

Darkmakaimura

Tasha Yar. Probably one of my least favorite characters in Star Trek. So glad they got rid of her early. Nothing personal, just really hated that character.

Darkmakaimura

Ehh.

I am sure they could have done more with the character is she was around longer.

Everyone sucked the first 2 seasons.
True, but I remember not liking Tasha right from the beginning and didn't care for her throughout the season. Something about her actually annoyed me.

True, but I remember not liking Tasha right from the beginning and didn't care for her throughout the season. Something about her actually annoyed me.

It didnt help the first real episode centred around her was that super racist one with the planet full of stereotyped African people. And then a episode or two later when she boned Data.

Early TNG writing was quite something.

maharg

idspispopd
Ehh.

I am sure they could have done more with the character is she was around longer.

Everyone sucked the first 2 seasons.

She had more potential than most imo, coming from a background that Trek didn't explore (a failed and very unhappy human colony) much.

Fuchsdh

It didnt help the first real episode centred around her was that super racist one with the planet full of stereotyped African people. And then a episode or two later when she boned Data.

Early TNG writing was quite something.

Eh, I think "Code of Honor" is far less horrible than it's treated--if you made the Lingonians any other color than black it's a nonissue, so I don't think it's so fundamentally irredeemable. If I were going to get more offended at an episode I think "Angel One" ranks higher.

Walshicus

Star Trek Online has a great sequel to that episode, where the Ent-C gets captured by the Tholians after heading back into the rift.

Darkmakaimura

Does anyone have the feeling that they're actually working on a new Star Trek series and keeping it under wraps until the 50th anniversary? That they are either going to announce it before and release it for the 50th anniversary or announce it on that date?

Or it's just going to be another movie, but with something really big this time....

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does anyone have the feeling that they're actually working on a new Star Trek series and keeping it under wraps until the 50th anniversary? That they are either going to announce it before and release it for the 50th anniversary or announce it on that date?

Or it's just going to be another movie, but with something really big this time....
There's no where to air a TV series, is the problem. Well, unless The CW suddenly changes demos or alternatively, you get a lowish budget Star Trek show with hot guys who take their shirts off every week.

I don't know if Trek will ever be big enough to graduate to being a CBS show anyway.

Darkmakaimura

There's no where to air a TV series, is the problem. Well, unless The CW suddenly changes demos or alternatively, you get a lowish budget Star Trek show with hot guys who take their shirts off every week.

I don't know if Trek will ever be big enough to graduate to being a CBS show anyway.
I'm afraid you might be right so it will more than likely be the next movie assuming that happens. I suppose.... maybe.... if the Abrams guys are behind a new TV show they could talk FOX into it. I rarely watch TV anymore but aren't most of the Bad Robot guys shows air on FOX?

Thats been my theory for a while but as already said. It doesnt make a lot of sense.

Maybe they will announce a mini series that tests the waters?

Eh, I think "Code of Honor" is far less horrible than it's treated--if you made the Lingonians any other color than black it's a nonissue, so I don't think it's so fundamentally irredeemable. If I were going to get more offended at an episode I think "Angel One" ranks higher.

I would say Code of Honor is unintentionally bad. Maybe it wasnt until it was being filmed and everything came together that someone noticed what was going on. Angel One I would agree is more blatant about things.

TNG recently got added to UK/Ireland netflix so ill have to revisit some of the early episodes to refresh.

There are some good early episodes right? I always had a bad time with old uniform episodes outside of the pilot which was its own weird thing.

Thats been my theory for a while but as already said. It doesnt make a lot of sense.

Maybe they will announce a mini series that tests the waters?

I would say Code of Honor is unintentionally bad. Maybe it wasnt until it was being filmed and everything came together that someone noticed what was going on. Angel One I would agree is more blatant about things.

TNG recently got added to UK/Ireland netflix so ill have to revisit some of the early episodes to refresh.

There are some good early episodes right? I always had a bad time with old uniform episodes outside of the pilot which was its own weird thing.

That's exactly what happened. There's a story about Gene firing the director after the episode filmed and never hired him again.

And what's wrong with Angel One? One of the few if only instances of a Matriarchal society in Trek. It's amazing how many Patriarchal societies exist in Trek.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
That's exactly what happened. There's a story about Gene firing the director after the episode filmed and never hired him again.

And what's wrong with Angel One? One of the few if only instances of a Matriarchal society in Trek. It's amazing how many Patriarchal societies exist in Trek.

Outside TOS and Early TNG There were many races with prominent female leaders. And most the major races had women in high places.

Darkmakaimura

If this is still produced and written by the Abrams team, I want to see John Noble appear in the next movie.... Make it so!

Fuchsdh

Someone pointed out that even at its worst Enterprise had more viewers than things like Game of Thrones, I dunno if you could expect it to work in a premium cable series though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Someone pointed out that even at its worst Enterprise had more viewers than things like Game of Thrones, I dunno if you could expect it to work in a premium cable series though.

There's a big difference between acceptable ratings on a premium cable station and network TV.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's true, and at this point, anything on The CW that gets over a 2 is a success, but at its peak Enterprise cost like 2 mil an episode... I assume even something long running like Supernatural doesn't cost that much.
The other thing is that cable makes money from subscriber fees while network/cable network still depends on ad dollars, so the standards are probably a bit different in terms of what amounts to a "success".
That said, maybe HBO could afford to spend millions on a splashy science fiction show to pair with GoT... but they'd probably want to do something on their own rather than pay CBS for a show they can't do anything with after it airs.

I'm afraid you might be right so it will more than likely be the next movie assuming that happens. I suppose.... maybe.... if the Abrams guys are behind a new TV show they could talk FOX into it. I rarely watch TV anymore but aren't most of the Bad Robot guys shows air on FOX?
CBS owns Star Trek. Now, that doesn't mean that CBS shows don't air on other networks, but this is a prestige CBS franchise, even if they don't know what to do with it.

Now, I think there's something they might try - when the TNG BDs are released, make an "event" airing of the best TNG HD episodes on The CW and see if that attracts any kind of audience. Use that to test the waters.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wouldn't be surprised if CBS is watching the performance of "Agents of Shield" carefully as a test of how much interest is in something based on a suck a nerd property.

On the other hand, I'm shocked they don't green light a new show ASAP and stick on after Big Bang Theory since the show can be used to advertise it.

Darkmakaimura

CBS owns Star Trek. Now, that doesn't mean that CBS shows don't air on other networks, but this is a prestige CBS franchise, even if they don't know what to do with it.

Now, I think there's something they might try - when the TNG BDs are released, make an "event" airing of the best TNG HD episodes on The CW and see if that attracts any kind of audience. Use that to test the waters.
Yeah, forgot about CBS.

So does it look dismal at all regarding ever seeing a new ST series? I'm sure we'll at least get one more Abrams Trek but chances look bad for another series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wouldn't be surprised if CBS is watching the performance of "Agents of Shield" carefully as a test of how much interest is in something based on a suck a nerd property.

On the other hand, I'm shocked they don't green light a new show ASAP and stick on after Big Bang Theory since the show can be used to advertise it.
Yeah, I guess SHIELD is really the test case for "big budget" (lol) network nerd TV. My understanding is that it's been in a ratings slide though. I guess the other test is how the new Batman TV show will do on Fox. That just looks like a disaster waiting to happen though.

Yeah, forgot about CBS.

So does it look dismal at all regarding ever seeing a new ST series? I'm sure we'll at least get one more Abrams Trek but chances look bad for another series.
I think when UPN died, the chances dropped a lot. There's no good "fit" on TV for them. That Into Darkness didn't really set the world on fire probably doesn't help either.

I think when UPN died, the chances dropped a lot. There's no good "fit" on TV for them. That Into Darkness didn't really set the world on fire probably doesn't help either.

I feel like they squandered their momentum by waiting 4 years between films.

Plus, they are still pandering to fans.

gdt

Dukat is so fantastic. But they mightve turned turned him too evil in Waltz.... Like...i liked the softer side of him. But maybe it was time for it to die. Dunno i guess.

Cheerilee

Yeah, forgot about CBS.

CBS apparently shot down a TV proposal from Bryan Singer, saying that they don't want to do anything to rock the boat of Abrams Trek. But Kurtzman and Orci "had a meeting" with CBS and that's all they'll say about the subject.

K&O are a part of Abrams Trek, so they're less likely to rock the boat, and they're responsible for producing "Sleepy Hollow", Fox's biggest show at the moment.

And with Transformers Prime, they took a gigantic blockbuster series (which was terrible, and that was at least partially their fault), from a nostalgia-laden franchise full of nerds, and they turned it into one of the greatest-quality entries in the franchise, and a GoT-style massive success for a small cable network.

So I think that there's a good chance that K&O are going to be involved (but they're probably all watching market conditions very closely), and if K&O are involved, I think there's a very good chance that CBS and "mainstream America" will be pleased with their work. The only question is, will we hate what it becomes even more than we hate Abrams Trek (I say "we" loosely), or will it be the greatest Trek that we have ever seen?

Dukat is so fantastic. But they mightve turned turned him too evil in Waltz.... Like...i liked the softer side of him. But maybe it was time for it to die. Dunno i guess.

Dukat was hit and miss. The writers tried to make him a complex character, but often failed, and in the end made him just evil and insane.

CBS apparently shot down a TV proposal from Bryan Singer, saying that they don't want to do anything to rock the boat of Abrams Trek. But Kurtzman and Orci "had a meeting" with CBS and that's all they'll say about the subject

I'm kind of hoping Abrams doing Star Wars puts an end to his Trek stuff. But he will probably do a third movie before that...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
CBS apparently shot down a TV proposal from Bryan Singer, saying that they don't want to do anything to rock the boat of Abrams Trek. But Kurtzman and Orci "had a meeting" with CBS and that's all they'll say about the subject.

K&O are a part of Abrams Trek, so they're less likely to rock the boat, and they're responsible for producing "Sleepy Hollow", Fox's biggest show at the moment.

And with Transformers Prime, they took a gigantic blockbuster series (which was terrible, and that was at least partially their fault), from a nostalgia-laden franchise full of nerds, and they turned it into one of the greatest-quality entries in the franchise, and a GoT-style massive success for a small cable network.

So I think that there's a good chance that K&O are going to be involved (but they're probably all watching market conditions very closely), and if K&O are involved, I think there's a very good chance that CBS and "mainstream America" will be pleased with their work. The only question is, will we hate what it becomes even more than we hate Abrams Trek (I say "we" loosely), or will it be the greatest Trek that we have ever seen?

Anything that would air on CBS would just thinned down shit meant to be pleasing and inoffensive to as many people as possible. I think it'd be even worse than JJTrek in that regard. lol

Darkmakaimura

I'm kind of hoping Abrams doing Star Wars puts an end to his Trek stuff. But he will probably do a third movie before that...
I think it's already been said he's handing over the movie to someone else if it happens. It'll probably be the same writers and all, but Abrams himself won't be involved.

That's if another movie happens which I'm guessing is 50/50 at this point. A lot of the younger actors might be getting noticeable older not to mention, I believe, that Into Darkness didn't bring in as much money as they were hoping.

Fuchsdh

I think it's already been said he's handing over the movie to someone else if it happens. It'll probably be the same writers and all, but Abrams himself won't be involved.

That's if another movie happens which I'm guessing is 50/50 at this point. A lot of the younger actors might be getting noticeable older not to mention, I believe, that Into Darkness didn't bring in as much money as they were hoping.

Yeah it wasn't a critical failure but it wasn't as strong as they hoped either. I think they expected a stronger international box office showing, which they got, but domestic totals were weaker than expectations.

There's no way you could actually kill off Star Trek at this point, but whether they'd be stupid enough to try and reboot it again is another question.

Darkmakaimura

Yeah it wasn't a critical failure but it wasn't as strong as they hoped either. I think they expected a stronger international box office showing, which they got, but domestic totals were weaker than expectations.

There's no way you could actually kill off Star Trek at this point, but whether they'd be stupid enough to try and reboot it again is another question.
They won't reboot it.... At least not for many years to come. You may some kind of "Mirror Universe" goofiness, but nothing like what we have now.

Oh, and I want some crazy aliens back! Let's see them in movies and if we get another TV show, go with it!

OkxWLwb.jpg

Ok, not so sure about that.

Aylinato

Dukat was hit and miss. The writers tried to make him a complex character, but often failed, and in the end made him just evil and insane.

I felt he was always insane, and was always able to hid it because his number 2 was so good at his job that Dukat didn't have to do any work at all.

Kimaka

I felt he was always insane, and was always able to hid it because his number 2 was so good at his job that Dukat didn't have to do any work at all.

I don't think he hid so much as he refused to acknowledge that he was the bad guy. It was always hilarious watching his scenes with Kira because he keeps trying to get her approval and to get her to say that is a good man and tried his best during his occupation despite doing nothing to stop it and taking multiple Bajoran women as concubines. His warped view of his actions was always there but didn't come out until Waltz and later episodes which sadly slipped into cartoony territory.

One thing that I wish happened is Dukat meeting Mirror!Kira. They would have gotten along fabulously.

Darkmakaimura

Still gotta catch up on DS9. I've mentioned before I've seen many episodes throughout the years (decades at that) but still haven't seen all of them nor have I watched them in order. So, I've started with episode 1 recently and only just finished episode 3. Got a long way to go but I want to get invested with the story and characters.

Top Bottom