• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I hate that these fuckheads put the Jeri Taylor commentary on the exclusive Unification release. But I hate myself for buying it tomorrow, so really, who am I to blame here.

I just wonder what milkage they'll do for Season 6... Season 7 is going to be All Good Things of course, but as a "movie".... Chains of Command? With Exclusive Patrick Stewart commentary?

jambo

Once again, they aren't trying to be bastards and cut out special features to make you spend more money.

I can't find the interview, but the guy in charge of the the special features said that the first couple of Blu-ray season releases were right on the edge of their budgets, so they were already maxed out. When they decided to do the Best of Both Worlds cliffhanger as a special Blu-ray they asked for, and were allowed part of that releases budget for special features.

The stuff we're getting on the mini movie blus is brand new stuff, not content cut from the main season sets.

Anyway. How much are the sets in different regions? Somehow the Season 5 Blu is $44 on release in Australia, which seems crazy cheap. Unification is $15.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Once again, they aren't trying to be bastards and cut out special features to make you spend more money.

I can't find the interview, but the guy in charge of the the special features said that the first couple of Blu-ray season releases were right on the edge of their budgets, so they were already maxed out. When they decided to do the Best of Both Worlds cliffhanger as a special Blu-ray they asked for, and were allowed part of that releases budget for special features.

The stuff we're getting on the mini movie blus is brand new stuff, not content cut from the main season sets.

Anyway. How much are the sets in different regions? Somehow the Season 5 Blu is $44 on release in Australia, which seems crazy cheap. Unification is $15.

The sets are like 60-80 on release. Crazy expensive still.

And I don't know how much it costs to record a commentary, but if that's breaking the budget, then maybe they should cut some of the Seth McFarlane crap and whatnot. :p

I've been slowly working my way through the TNG blu-rays, finishing up season 3 right now. I haven't watched them in many years and seeing them now in HD on a big screen is awesome.

Yesterday I watched "The Most Toys" and the accompanying extra "In Memoriam - David Rappaport" for the little person actor (Time Bandits) who was originally to play Kivas Fajo, the collector who kidnaps Data. I'd not heard the story of how he attempted suicide and was hospitalized after one day of filming.

David_Rappaport.jpg

He was quickly replaced by Saul Rubinek and Rappaport's scenes were re-filmed.

Rappaport wound up succeeding in another suicide attempt a few weeks later shortly before the episode aired. Sad story, but after looking at his footage from the show, Rubinek did a much, much better job, bringing personality and an oily charm to the character, while Rappaport was just delivering the lines. That said, it still would have been pretty cool to see a little person in the role.

rappaport_fajo_mosttoys_2.jpg

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I've been slowly working my way through the TNG blu-rays, finishing up season 3 right now. I haven't watched them in many years and seeing them now in HD on a big screen is awesome.

Yesterday I watched "The Most Toys" and the accompanying extra "In Memoriam - David Rappaport" for the little person actor (Time Bandits) who was originally to play Kivas Fajo, the collector who kidnaps Data. I'd not heard the story of how he attempted suicide and was hospitalized after one day of filming.

He was quickly replaced by Saul Rubinek and Rappaport's scenes were re-filmed.

Rappaport wound up succeeding in another suicide attempt a few weeks later shortly before the episode aired. Sad story, but after looking at his footage from the show, Rubinek did a much, much better job, bringing personality and an oily charm to the character, while Rappaport was just delivering the lines. That said, it still would have been pretty cool to see a little person in the role.

rappaport_fajo_mosttoys_2.jpg

Rubinek hit that role out of the park. Fajo was terrifying.

How was it they explained the Ferengi evolution from TNG to DS9?

There was room in the comedy sidekick niche. Seriously there was only one episode in TNG where the Ferengi were acting strangely, and that was the first episode where we saw them. The showrunners noticed their mistake pretty quickly.

gdt

Could someone recommend essential episodes from TNG season 1 and i guess 2. I'll start watching everything when he grows the beard.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Could someone recommend essential episodes from TNG season 1 and i guess 2. I'll start watching everything when he grows the beard.

Where Silence has Lease.
Elementary, my Dear Data.
Contagion (a personal guilty pleasure)
Times Squared (not really essential, but it's all right)

Riker grows the beard starting with Season 2.

Season 2 is actually very good if we leave out a couple of episodes. Shades of Gray obviously is shit, but maybe even it is worth watching just to see the lowest point of TNG. Well, other than that I never liked The Child, and the script was lifted anyway from TOS Phase 2. The Royale... well, not a good episode per se, but entertaining.

gdt

TNG is so...lifeless so far. DS9 always felt that there was something going on at the station. Like people had lives.

The synths...oh god the synths.

Wag

For some reason I was watching TV today and all of a sudden the TNG episode The Vengeance Factor came to mind. I have no idea why.

Kaladin

The Worf meme is no joke. He consistently gets beat up. DS9 Worf wouldn't be down for that shit.

DS9 Worf goes into god mode. He is essentially untouchable. I'm curious as to how he's handled in these novels I'm reading that carry on after Nemesis.

oracrest

The Worf meme is no joke. He consistently gets beat up. DS9 Worf wouldn't be down for that shit.

The episode for me was when he was captured in the Jem Hadar prison, and they would have the entire troop practice hand to hand combat on him every day until he died.

He didn't :)

I think he had some half a dozen broken bones and was still dishing it out at the end.

The episode for me was when he was captured in the Jem Hadar prison, and they would have the entire troop practice hand to hand combat on him every day until he died.

He didn't :)

I think he had some half a dozen broken bones and was still dishing it out at the end.

'I yield. I cannot defeat this Klingon; I can only kill him.'

Fuchsdh

I think TNG's issue was partially that Roddenberry wanted to show how under most circumstances we were beyond just nuking things 'till they glowed (which meant Worf was irrelevant most of the time), and partly because no one seemed particularly interested in Worf as a character--even in DS9 a lot of the times he got shorter shrift because they wanted to write Klingon stories, not particularly Worf stories.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think TNG's issue was partially that Roddenberry wanted to show how under most circumstances we were beyond just nuking things 'till they glowed (which meant Worf was irrelevant most of the time), and partly because no one seemed particularly interested in Worf as a character--even in DS9 a lot of the times he got shorter shrift because they wanted to write Klingon stories, not particularly Worf stories.
Worf was supposed to show the end of the cold war in TNG-land.
The obsession with Klingon's was a Ron Moore thing.

Good episode. By far the best TNG I've seen.

In my opinion, the best.

Did you not pick up on the "Data is a toaster" line?

TOASTERS AREN'T COMMON ITEMS IN THE 24TH CENTURY.

That was actually in a book I used to have called The Nitpickers Guide to TNG.

Fuchsdh

In my opinion, the best.

I dunno. Consider how many random anachronisms we still use in our everyday speech. I can believe they'd use "toaster" as a metaphor, even if they didn't really know what it meant.

Nudull

Banned
Is the first season of TNG worth going through? I want to finally sit down and go through the whole series, but I've heard about the earlier episodes being rough.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Is the first season of TNG worth going through? I want to finally sit down and go through the whole series, but I've heard about the earlier episodes being rough.

Im not a fan of picking and choosing. You should watch it all at least once. Makes you appreciate how good it got later.

Cheerilee

In my opinion, the best.

Toasters might be common on Earth, just not on starships. Gene himself said that the way Federation economy works is that bakers bake bread because they like the smell of bread baking.

If they have real bread (and Gene himself said that they do), then they must have things to do with that bread.

Toasters might be common on Earth, just not on starships. Gene himself said that the way Federation economy works is that bakers bake bread because they like the smell of bread baking.

If they have real bread (and Gene himself said that they do), then they must have things to do with that bread.
Agreed. Just because we see replicators used so much doesn't mean any other method of food preparation would be unknown in general. Nobody is lost in confusion on the occasions when we see a character prepare something in a frying pan.

Agreed. Just because we see replicators used so much doesn't mean any other method of food preparation would be unknown in general. Nobody is lost in confusion on the occasions when we see a character prepare something in a frying pan.

Not to mention all the characters we've seen who didn't like to use replicators. O'Brien said his mother hated them and always cooked food the old fashioned way.

OASTERS AREN'T COMMON ITEMS IN THE 24TH CENTURY.

Did the writers of this guide not watch Generations? Kirk's section of the Nexus had him cooking eggs & toast (with a toaster).

All of you are on the wrong track about toasters. The nitpick is correct, but the reason toaster (and other anachronisms) was used is because we are the audience (20th and now 21st century) and it's most important for us to quickly understand the sentiment.

Peak Performance used the phrase 'pop the clutch' similarly, but did a better job of tying it to 'future tech' in a way both immediately understandable to the characters and audience without introducing an anachronism.

Fuchsdh

All of you are on the wrong track about toasters. The nitpick is correct, but the reason toaster (and other anachronisms) was used is because we are the audience (20th and now 21st century) and it's most important for us to quickly understand the sentiment.

Peak Performance used the phrase 'pop the clutch' similarly, but did a better job of tying it to 'future tech' in a way both immediately understandable to the characters and audience without introducing an anachronism.

I don't think you'd find that many people in the States who know what a clutch is now.

TheYanger

Of course that's why they're in the show, but that's not the point of nitpicking ;)

Love the nitpickers guides.

Fuchsdh

What was Picard doing during the Dominion War? Probably being lazy not doing shit. Not like my man Sisko.
That was always a kind of bizarre thing to not address. They have them doing diplomatic missions in the middle of the war during Insurrection don't they? Feel like the Enterprise would have had a bigger combat role.

For movie logic they just didn't want to bog things down with ongoing TV continuity for something that they wanted non-DS9 watchers to come and easily understand. There are some Dominion War novels with Enterprise goings-on, but I haven't read them since I mostly shot to the post-Nemesis stuff.

Top Bottom