• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

gdt

Tasha Yar's sister. No braw. Puffy nips.

And now she's wearing a tight blue outfit. Her body is sick.

Well was, she probably looks like Picard now.

Ishara+Yar+Data.jpg

Season 4 already?
Yeah, no comments on Best of Both Worlds, Family, or Brothers?

gdt

The first appearance of the Cardassians in TNG is painful. The uniform looks hideous. Not-Dukat's mustache....their head pieces...

Their skin is too yellow too! Wtf!

Fix this shit Guerrilla!

gdt

I love O'Brien, dude is a true gangsta.

Buttt the episode in DS9 where he was implanted with memories of 20 years in jail. That shit turned him nuts that episode...but was never mentioned again. DS9 was mostly pretty good about keeping track of their characters and what happened to them. Lame that they never followed up on that.

Buttt the episode in DS9 where he was implanted with memories of 20 years in jail. That shit turned him nuts that episode...but was never mentioned again. DS9 was mostly pretty good about keeping track of their characters and what happened to them. Lame that they never followed up on that.

Picard will experience something like that, and it becomes part of his character.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Thing about all the crap O'Brien goes through...

For you, O'Brien experiencing 20 years in a horrible prison was terrible. For O'Brien, it was a Tuesday.

kennah

Since most TV kinda sucks right now and my wife and I aren't finding anything amazing that we want to watch - we decided to just start DS9 again from the beginning.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

She's married to Jack Coleman.

300.Coleman.Jack.051908.jpg

That Jack Coleman.

Contagion is probably my favorite season 2 episode. Maybe Time Squared. But it just occured to me Captain Varley isn't a very good Captain. He's lost an engineering team and some other people to malfunctions caused by the Iconian virus. Picard asks if he wants to evacuate non essential personnel to the Enterprise. He says no because that would be premature. wtf your ship is falling apart and has killed a handful of people!

It didn't really matter because they blew up about 20 seconds later.

Fuchsdh

Contagion is probably my favorite season 2 episode. Maybe Time Squared. But it just occured to me Captain Varley isn't a very good Captain. He's lost an engineering team and some other people to malfunctions caused by the Iconian virus. Picard asks if he wants to evacuate non essential personnel to the Enterprise. He says no because that would be premature. wtf your ship is falling apart and has killed a handful of people!

It didn't really matter because they blew up about 20 seconds later.

I've never really gotten why all other captains/admirals had to be borderline incompetent in Star Trek. It doesn't really make your main characters look better so much as reinforce this "only ship in the quadrant" ship in the bottle feel. I'd love for another series to at least present some strong leaders outside the ship/crew we follow.

Walshicus

I've never really gotten why all other captains/admirals had to be borderline incompetent in Star Trek. It doesn't really make your main characters look better so much as reinforce this "only ship in the quadrant" ship in the bottle feel. I'd love for another series to at least present some strong leaders outside the ship/crew we follow.

They sort of went against that grain with Erika Hernandez captaining the Columbia in Enterprise.

Fuchsdh

They sort of went against that grain with Erika Hernandez captaining the Columbia in Enterprise.
Good point (also they *were* the only ships in the quadrant at that point.) that was part of te reason S4 Enterprise clicked for me--it really built out its universe.

maharg

idspispopd

This seems to be a Roddenberryism, since it goes all the way back to TOS and carried through when he was in charge of TNG and then kind of stopped being so much of a thing except occasionally. It seems contradictory to the utopian ideal of Trek, but it sort of fits a kind of individualist/libertarian ethos. The organization isn't to be trusted when it butts in, and the individual is the greatest force for good.

Basically Roddenberry might have been a Rand fan.

Fuchsdh

This seems to be a Roddenberryism, since it goes all the way back to TOS and carried through when he was in charge of TNG and then kind of stopped being so much of a thing except occasionally. It seems contradictory to the utopian ideal of Trek, but it sort of fits a kind of individualist/libertarian ethos. The organization isn't to be trusted when it butts in, and the individual is the greatest force for good.

Basically Roddenberry might have been a Rand fan.

I think you can argue individuals are the greatest force for good, but I don't see how that extrapolates to the future Roddenberry envisioned at all.

As for Rand, I imagine she'd do a spit take at that comparison. :)

At best you can say that at least the future is supposedly a relentless meritocracy.

maharg

idspispopd
I think you can argue individuals are the greatest force for good, but I don't see how that extrapolates to the future Roddenberry envisioned at all.

As for Rand, I imagine she'd do a spit take at that comparison. :)

At best you can say that at least the future is supposedly a relentless meritocracy.

I think Rand would do a spit take at pretty much all of her followers. It wasn't so much a comparison, though, as a possible influence/inspiration for him. I don't think he'd thought through his ideals very thoroughly though so there are some inherent contradictions.

I don't think there's a need to think too deeply about why most other captains and admirals were jerks; the show needed drama. Particularly on TNG, where as a result of the series bible, the crew members were pretty much conflict-free by design.

maharg

idspispopd
I don't think there's a need to think too deeply about why most other captains and admirals were jerks; the show needed drama. Particularly on TNG, where as a result of the series bible, the crew members were pretty much conflict-free by design.

It actually wasn't just the crew, it was supposed to be Starfleet as a whole. Which is why the direct conflict with Starfleet high command had to be backed by alien bugs infesting them.

gdt

Can you elaborate?

Fuchsdh

Can you elaborate?

Roddenberry was pretty adamant in TNG's early run that Federation couldn't be the bad guys--in big ways, like the idea of a military coup--and in small ways (interpersonal relationships). Thus the big source of drama especially in early TNG was always external.

Jackpot

Banned
Roddenberry was pretty adamant in TNG's early run that Federation couldn't be the bad guys--in big ways, like the idea of a military coup--and in small ways (interpersonal relationships). Thus the big source of drama especially in early TNG was always external.

External Starfleet were still bound by the same portrayl rules..

Fuchsdh

External Starfleet were still bound by the same portrayl rules..
I mean external as in other alien races, natural disasters, etc. Ro Laren was basically the only character they ever let get away with much actual disagreement between the main cast.

So 7 of 9's parents investigated the borg for starfleet (they use the USS Raven). But when Q throws the enterprise across the galaxy it's the federations first encounter with the borg.

The timelines don't match up at all. 7 of 9 was 24 when she was found by Voyager.

She was assimilated in 2356 at age six, along with her parents, but was liberated by the crew of the USS Voyager in 2374. Q Who?Takes place in 2365.

So 7 of 9's parents investigated the borg for starfleet (they use the USS Raven). But when Q throws the enterprise across the galaxy it's the federations first encounter with the borg.

The timelines don't match up at all. 7 of 9 was 24 when she was found by Voyager.

She was assimilated in 2356 at age six, along with her parents, but was liberated by the crew of the USS Voyager in 2374. Q Who?Takes place in 2365.

That's just shitty voyager writing. They retconned it for her.

That's just shitty voyager writing. They retconned it for her.
It's such a shitty mistake. You could have the character young anika be taken when she was 15-16 and say that they mission to investigate the borg was because of Picards report after Q Who? and everything would still turn out how it was.

Fuchsdh

It's such a shitty mistake. You could have the character young anika be taken when she was 15-16 and say that they mission to investigate the borg was because of Picards report after Q Who? and everything would still turn out how it was.

'Cause. Little kid assimilated is part of her character. Wouldn't have been the same if she'd been an adolescent/young adult in terms of reintegration.

What was more bothersome for me was the fact that the Hansen's were so damn good at stalking the Borg, even transporting over drones from the ship. I guess you could argue the Borg didn't give a shit for a while until they decided to swat them from the sky, but it still seemed like a level of sophistication that undermined the Borg (then again Voyager sort of undermined that plenty in other ways.)

If they bring back the Borg, they need to do an all-out war and wrap up the storyline one way or another. They can't be a potent enemy if they're trotted out to stunt ratings because people like space zombies.

maharg

idspispopd

Q Who? is actually just the first time the Federation encountered the Borg and escaped. The Borg were already at the Romulan neutral zone for a year or so, scooping up colonies like anthills, at that point. I give Voyager credit for ruining a lot of things, but this actually meshes pretty well. The Raven was on an exploration mission well outside charted federation space and may even have been a root cause of the Borg turning their attention to Romulan and Federation space in the first place.

The Raven was on an exploration mission well outside charted federation space and may even have been a root cause of the Borg turning their attention to Romulan and Federation space in the first place.

Maybe they were researching inside the Romulan Neutral Zone, which would explain how a two man crew ship would be doing exploration usually done by Galaxy class ships (or rather what they used before the Galaxy class)... The neutral zone is still relatively close to Earth, and Romulans didn't really hang around that area, until when they returned in late TNG season 1.

maharg

idspispopd
Maybe they were researching inside the Romulan Neutral Zone, which would explain how a two man crew ship would be doing exploration usually done by Galaxy class ships (or rather what they used before the Galaxy class)... The neutral zone is still relatively close to Earth, and Romulans didn't really hang around that area, until when they returned in late TNG season 1.

I imagine exploration was and continued to be undertaken by a variety of sizes and types of ships. It is, after all, technically Starfleet's primary purpose. The Galaxy Class is a bit of a grandstandy kind of ship, really.

I imagine exploration was and continued to be undertaken by a variety of sizes and types of ships. It is, after all, technically Starfleet's primary purpose. The Galaxy Class is a bit of a grandstandy kind of ship, really.

Yeah, I'd imagine the big boys scout the area first, and then smaller science vessels come and check out the interesting bits. But a small two crew ship going after the Borg in a previously uncharted area? Seems weird to me... unless it's in the neutral zone, and they are doing it in secret.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, I'd imagine the big boys scout the area first, and then smaller science vessels come and check out the interesting bits. But a small two crew ship going after the Borg in a previously uncharted area? Seems weird to me... unless it's in the neutral zone, and they are doing it in secret.

Forgive me if I'm misremembering the episode, but the Hansens weren't Starfleet officers. Their ship had a NAR registry prefix, whatever that means. From Memory Alpha:

It was later determined that after leaving the station, the Hansen family had disobeyed a direct order to return and had crossed into the Neutral Zone as part of their study into the Borg.

After tracking stray readings and sensor echoes for eight months, the Hansens were able to locate a Borg cube. The ship was pulled into a transwarp conduit while trailing the cube and was transported to the Delta Quadrant.

The nonsense about not being detected by the Borg via shields seems crazy, but there you go.

As for the timeline, it doesn't seem that off to me. After all the El-Aurians were fleeing the Borg in the late 23rd century. It makes sense some people might look for these guys in the intervening years.

Forgive me if I'm misremembering the episode, but the Hansens weren't Starfleet officers. Their ship had a NAR registry prefix, whatever that means. From Memory Alpha:.

You probably remember it better than me. So they were just civilians borrowing a ship from Starfleet in order to check out what's happening in Neutral Zone. I don't know, there's something weird about this...

Fuchsdh

You probably remember it better than me. So they were just civilians borrowing a ship from Starfleet in order to check out what's happening in Neutral Zone. I don't know, there's something weird about this...
Well they weren't supposed to go into the Neutral Zone. Remember that Starfleet has a history of putting its resources at the ready for civilians--the Genesis scientists had a ship to send around the galaxy looking for a planet for a year.

Top Bottom