• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

BitchTits

What's the general consensus on Ezri Dax in DS9? Liked, hated, not around long enough to care?

After watching the whole of TNG, I'm upto the last season of DS9 and didn't have any prior knowledge of the other Dax dying at the end of S6, I've never seen an episode on TV with Ezri in it.

I gotta say, I think DS9 is my favorite Star Trek series. I was a fan of Voyager before, but now I've seen almost all of DS9, I just really love the characters a whole lot more.

On to Enterprise next.

BitchTits said:
What's the general consensus on Ezri Dax in DS9? Liked, hated, not around long enough to care?

She was pleasant and not particularly objectionable. Some nice Barclay-esque neuroses.

BitchTits said:
I gotta say, I think DS9 is my favorite Star Trek series. I was a fan of Voyager before, but now I've seen almost all of DS9, I just really love the characters a whole lot more.

Odo/Garak/O'Brien/THESISKO/Quark are characters. Voyager was a ship of cardboard cut-outs, a woman dressed like a futuristic cyborg prositute, and The Doctor.

On to Enterprise next.

LORD, SAVE ALL YE THAT ENTER HERE.

(Until its gets to series four, then its merely mediocre).

Walshicus

BitchTits said:
Gorgeous, but not around long enough to really attach with. Thought they handled her with Worf a bit sloppily.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
BitchTits said:
She brought a new element to the cast, and did a decent job all things considered. Her best moment IMO was this exchange with Worf when she said that the Klingon Empire deserves to die:
Ezri: I tend to look at the Empire with a little more skepticism than Curzon and Jadzia did. I see a society that is in deep denial about itself. We're talking about a warrior culture that prides itself on maintaining centuries-old traditions of honor and integrity. But in reality, it's willing to accept corruption at the highest levels.
Worf: You are overstating your case.
Ezri: Am I? Who was the last leader of the High Council that you respected? Has there even been one? And how many times have you had to cover up the crimes of Klingon leaders because you were told that it was for the good of the Empire? I... I know this sounds harsh, but the truth is, you have been willing to accept a government that you know is corrupt. Gowron's just the latest example. Worf, you are the most honorable and decent man that I've ever met. And if *you* are willing to tolerate men like Gowron, then what hope is there for the Empire?

Man, Tacking into the Wind was so damn good.

So far I've only seen Enterprise completely, tried watching original series but its too old and not my thing (don't hate).

What would you recommend me watch next? Or in which order, following storyline, if there is any between shows.

Nolimit_SS said:
So far I've only seen Enterprise completely, tried watching original series but its too old and not my thing (don't hate).

What would you recommend me watch next? Or in which order, following storyline, if there is any between shows.
The Next Generation then Deep Space Nine.

So I'm a Star Trek novel whore and read way more than is probably healthy. However, the one I'm reading now is pretty standout and stands alone (as long as you're familiar with the series), so I thought I'd put in a good word for it.

Star Trek: Myriad Universes: Infinity's Prism
400000000000000091854_s4.jpg

The gist is that it contains several novellas that take place in alternate realities, and just dispenses with any BS framing story of some regular Trek crew getting transported there or whatever.

1. A story where the last few episodes of Enterprise (not counting the Riker/Troi episode) went badly, Earth becomes xenophobic, and Vulcan/Andor/Tellar unite into a Coalition without Earth. Now fast-forward to TOS time.
  2. An alternate ending for Voyager that branches off after season 3. Rather than successfully having that temporary alliance with the Borg, Voyager gets beat to hell and they have to join a local community somewhat long-term to get the ship fixed and deal with the Borg/8472 problem.
  3. A DS9 story that's essentially Space Seed in reverse. In this universe Khan successfully took over the world and a good chunk of the galaxy, and the Earthfleet ship Defiance including augmented (or more augmented) versions of characters like Bashir and O'Brien find a sleeper ship containing "Basics" from our time period.

JoshuaJSlone said:
So I'm a Star Trek novel whore and read way more than is probably healthy. However, the one I'm reading now is pretty standout and stands alone (as long as you're familiar with the series), so I thought I'd put in a good word for it.

Star Trek: Myriad Universes: Infinity's Prism
400000000000000091854_s4.jpg

The gist is that it contains several novellas that take place in alternate realities, and just dispenses with any BS framing story of some regular Trek crew getting transported there or whatever.

1. A story where the last few episodes of Enterprise (not counting the Riker/Troi episode) went badly, Earth becomes xenophobic, and Vulcan/Andor/Tellar unite into a Coalition without Earth. Now fast-forward to TOS time.
  2. An alternate ending for Voyager that branches off after season 3. Rather than successfully having that temporary alliance with the Borg, Voyager gets beat to hell and they have to join a local community somewhat long-term to get the ship fixed and deal with the Borg/8472 problem.
  3. A DS9 story that's essentially Space Seed in reverse. In this universe Khan successfully took over the world and a good chunk of the galaxy, and the Earthfleet ship Defiance including augmented (or more augmented) versions of characters like Bashir and O'Brien find a sleeper ship containing "Basics" from our time period.

I like the sound of some of these, interesting in a Star Wars: Infinities and Superman: Red Son kind of way. Might keep an eye out for it.

The only Trek book I've read in the last decade is Andrew J Robinson's A Stitch in Time, and I really enjoyed that. Its intriguing to read the backstory for Garak that was invented by the actor who played him, and informed his performance. Good stuff.

Zzoram

DS9 was the best series because it wasn't afraid of story arcs, which allow for significant plot and character development.

Every series had a few standout amazing episodes, but DS9 was the most consistantly good series.

A lot of TOS/TNG is really weak, even if they were great in their day, they don't hold up very well. TNG also had the ridiculous premise of "our 7 year mission is to prove to Q that humanity deserves to exist", as if omnipotent beings would care that humans exist, or bother to wipe them out.

Voyager is also pretty bad, they made the Borg go from menacing to wussy. However, the premise of the story was a good idea.

Enterprise started off pretty bad, but the last 2 seasons were actually pretty good. That is when they decided to do the Xindi story arc season and a series of ~3 episode story arcs.

The one thing that was really bad in every Star Trek, and actually in all of science fiction, is time travel. Time travel is never done well and is always gimmicky. That said, the DS9 Trials and Tribulations episode was still really awesome.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Mama Robotnik said:
I like the sound of some of these, interesting in a Star Wars: Infinities and Superman: Red Son kind of way. Might keep an eye out for it.

The only Trek book I've read in the last decade is Andrew J Robinson's A Stitch in Time, and I really enjoyed that. Its intriguing to read the backstory for Garak that was invented by the actor who played him, and informed his performance. Good stuff.
You should give this book a read:

d5e3228348a0b606fceae010.L.jpg

Keep in mind it was written before First Contact, which screws up the plotline of this one unfortunately. I MUCH prefer the Cochrane depicted in this story.

So I read the second (and so far final) Myriad Universes book: Echoes and Refractions.

*What if Spock died as a child? The original series movie era sure would play out differently.
*What if the Cardassians had held on to Bajor for a few more years? Pretty much every televised or book series of the 24th century would be greatly affected.
*What if Dr. Soong hadn't been working on a doomed colony, and thus by the time of TNG androids even more advanced than Data were commonplace?

For fun, here are what Amazon considers the book's Statistically Improbably Phrases: gutted world, advanced tactical training, antiproton scan, hairless android, young android, positronic matrix, subspace interference, quantum torpedoes, forward viewer, stable wormhole, shock trooper, conn officer, cloaked ship, containment unit, transporter room, warp core, wooden boy, impulse engines, fusion core

Of course, the weirdest myriad universe must be the one where George Kirk's ship explodes, causing the Enterprise to become deformed and Pavel Chekov to be born several years early.

I love Peter David's Star Trek books for their willingness to reference anything from the franchise and general less serious tone. His New Frontier series especially is full of oddball characters and situations. Reading Treason last night, this bit jumped out at me in a good way:
"How long do you intend for this to go on?" asked the fake Calhoun. "Order your people to surrender."

"Sorry," she said tightly. "It's drilled into us in the Academy: Never give up. Never surrender."
galaxyquest.gif

Novid

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:

Keep in mind it was written before First Contact, which screws up the plotline of this one unfortunately. I MUCH prefer the Cochrane depicted in this story.

I have that book somewhere.

Nolimit_SS said:

Even if you didn't like TOS, I still recommend you watch Balance of Terror, Space Seed, and Amok Time. They may change your opinion, but even if they don't, those episodes are just too awesome to miss.

benjipwns

Banned
Watching Sub Rosa on SyFy, Jean-Luc just walked in on Beverly being given an orgasm by a ghost.

I'm not sure why this episode was made, but Memory Alpha seems to indicate that was the reason:
René Echevarria recalled, "I can still reduce Brannon to shudders when I go into his office and say, 'I can travel on the power transfer beam'. But the cast loved it. Every woman on the lot who read it was coming up to Brannon and patting him. Ultimately I think it was worth doing because it was campy fun and the production values were wonderful. The sets look great and everybody threw themselves into it. Gates did a wonderful job. It just got bigger and broader and to the point of grandmother leaping out of the grave. Just having Beverly basically writhing around having an orgasm at 6 o'clock on family TV was great. For that alone it was worth doing. We got away with murder."

XiaNaphryz said:

Even with the slightly weak TNG story, this book is fantastic

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
benjipwns said:
Watching Sub Rosa on SyFy, Jean-Luc just walked in on Beverly being given an orgasm by a ghost.

I'm not sure why this episode was made, but Memory Alpha seems to indicate that was the reason:
Terrible episode that one..

teiresias

XiaNaphryz said:

Haven't read it in a while, so I can't comment on whether the TNG storyline was actually weak or not, but I remember thinking an adaption of this would have made a far better first TNG movie that had a TOS crossover element than what we got in Generations. Obviously, the TOS parts would have to be tweaked to be in the movie timeframe rather than the TOS series timeframe, but still, it would have been great - though it would have screwed First Contact over I suppose.

teiresias said:
Haven't read it in a while, so I can't comment on whether the TNG storyline was actually weak or not, but I remember thinking an adaption of this would have made a far better first TNG movie that had a TOS crossover element than what we got in Generations. Obviously, the TOS parts would have to be tweaked to be in the movie timeframe rather than the TOS series timeframe, but still, it would have been great - though it would have screwed First Contact over I suppose.
I've thought the same thing. And given the way they love to wreck up Enterprises in the movies as an excuse to make new ones, it would've been too funny if they'd managed to make the Enterprise-A and Enterprise-D get wrecked by a single event.

teiresias said:
Haven't read it in a while, so I can't comment on whether the TNG storyline was actually weak or not

to refresh your memory, it was a very convoluted story involving the ferengi, romulan defectors who really arent defectors, borg technology that isnt really borg technology, and the main villain pretending to be an artifact left by whoever seeded all of the life in the quadrant.

that said, the TNG portion had some amazing moments, "RAMMING SPEED!"

JoeMartin

Bumping this thread to say that I'm a member of Voyager defense force.

Despite all it's horrible shortcomings, and lack of experimentation with what could have been the best Trek series ever just due to the nature of the setting, I still loved it in the end.

The Doctor best doctor. One of the best characters in all of Trekdom.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
medical question from DS9:

why is it when someone is shot bashir can instantly cure this, but when o'brien suffers a dislocated shoulder, he can't just run a beam or something over it to make it better and tells him to stay off it for a few weeks?

benjipwns

Banned
JoeMartin said:
Bumping this thread to say that I'm a member of Voyager defense force.

Despite all it's horrible shortcomings, and lack of experimentation with what could have been the best Trek series ever just due to the nature of the setting, I still loved it in the end.

The Doctor best doctor. One of the best characters in all of Trekdom.
I feel like I've said this before in this thread, but Voyager is a bit of a guilty pleasure, as it does have some great episodes. But nobody develops and if you watch too many in a row you realize nothing matters unless you can just ignore anything that happened, even yesterday if watching syndicated or something. And how many just rehashed or random episodes there are that add nothing or are intolerable even by themselves.

And Picardo dominates almost everything he's in.

And then there's Threshold. And any of the Irish/Scottish/? (I forget) Holodeck episodes. Which we're better off pretending did not happen. Well, unless we need to compare things to them if describing a horrible car accident or a severed limb.

beelzebozo said:
medical question from DS9:

why is it when someone is shot bashir can instantly cure this, but when o'brien suffers a dislocated shoulder, he can't just run a beam or something over it to make it better and tells him to stay off it for a few weeks?

being a doctor in star trek is the easiest thing in the world. anytime anyone is hurt they just run that beam over them and they're cured. or get a hypospray and bam! no more aids.

But i think the real reason was giving O'Brien pain as a result of doing something he loved. It grounded him in his humanity. kayaking was still kicking middle aged men's asses in the future too so its something we can relate to.

So here's a bit of interesting upcoming Trek novel info I ran across: DS9 Relaunch Relaunch? For the past decade or so they've been doing DS9 novels that take place after the series finale, and as with the series there's a lot of continuity, so in all that time only 1-2 years worth of events have occurred. The problem with that is that most of the other series are matched up with The Next Generation, and currently doing stuff set 1-2 years after Nemesis, so a difference of about 3 years. Which makes things a bit tricky--DS9 books can't do some major event that would conflict with anything currently going on a few years in the future in other books, and other books have a hard time mentioning DS9 or its characters since they can't be sure what new books set in the past will contain.

Apparently they're doing a bit of a time jump, though, as the next DS9 novel will jump forward and be one of the Typhon Pact books, along with TNG/Titan/Voyager. I don't know if this is a permanent thing or there will be more set in between those periods eventually.

Trek novel series have done necessary time jumps a few times before. New Frontier was in a similar situation, where since each novel picked up from where the last left off it was taking many years to cover the events of a relatively short time period. Voyager is a bit of an opposite situation--being less popular they just pretty much stopped doing post-finale Voyager novels for a few years, so by default when they made a post-Nemesis one it was a time jump.

JoeMartin

So I just watched the episode The Inner Light.

What the fuck. Picard has an irrevocably life altering, mind fucking experience, then a couple hours later its on with the daily routine as captain of the Enterprise again?

And the end where all the people he just spent 50 years emotionally investing in - becoming part of the community, making and losing friends, maintaining a marriage, fathering and raising fucking children - are like WE'RE ACTUALLY NOT REAL BUT THANKS FOR PLAYING NOW YOU'LL REMEMBER US AND OUR CULTURE FOREVER WASN'T THAT A NEAT EXPERIENCE?

Yeah, you know what else will be neat experience? Reliving it in the therapy I'll need for the rest of my life you heartless fucks. Hey why don't we just send Kataanipedia up there for people to study? nah let's just fuck someone up completely instead, that's much better way to make sure we're remembered.

Was it a good episode? Sure, it was a fun ride, one which nonetheless would have ruined Picard emotionally and rendered him unfit for command for quite some time - but the show goes on like it never happened.

maharg

idspispopd
... It's Star Trek. What did you expect?

At any rate, it's one of the few things in the entire series of well over 100 episodes to actually HAVE any continuity with later episodes, so by Trek standards it's a pretty major event.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah. Just thank the producers that we got a follow up to Best of Both Worlds. The initial plan was to just ignore the whole Locutus thing the week after it happened.

JoeMartin

maharg said:
... It's Star Trek. What did you expect?

At any rate, it's one of the few things in the entire series of well over 100 episodes to actually HAVE any continuity with later episodes, so by Trek standards it's a pretty major event.

I understand that continuity has always been optional, but even by Star Trek standards that was over the line. I can't think of a single event in the whole series that would be more life shattering/personality altering for Picard than that (even over his whole brief stint in the collective), but they just gloss right over it in the end and never bring it up again.

dalyr95

JoeMartin said:

What the fuck. Picard has an irrevocably life altering, mind fucking experience, then a couple hours later its on with the daily routine as captain of the Enterprise again?

And the end where all the people he just spent 50 years emotionally investing in - becoming part of the community, making and losing friends, maintaining a marriage, fathering and raising fucking children - are like WE'RE ACTUALLY NOT REAL BUT THANKS FOR PLAYING NOW YOU'LL REMEMBER US AND OUR CULTURE FOREVER WASN'T THAT A NEAT EXPERIENCE?

Yeah, you know what else will be neat experience? Reliving it in the therapy I'll need for the rest of my life you heartless fucks. Hey why don't we just send Kataanipedia up there for people to study? nah let's just fuck someone up completely instead, that's much better way to make sure we're remembered.

Was it a good episode? Sure, it was a fun ride, one which nonetheless would have ruined Picard emotionally and rendered him unfit for command for quite some time - but the show goes on like it never happened.

Umm no, in Picard's quarters, the flute is quite a prominent item. Also he is seen to play it in many episodes.

Shouta

JoeMartin said:
I understand that continuity has always been optional, but even by Star Trek standards that was over the line. I can't think of a single event in the whole series that would be more life shattering/personality altering for Picard than that (even over his whole brief stint in the collective), but they just gloss right over it in the end and never bring it up again.

It isn't glossed over, it's mentioned quite often and his ability to play the flute that you see at various times is thanks to the occurrence.

The episode is complicated when it comes to emotions and the aftermath. They don't really address it either so it becomes a mystery. The idea though is that Picard knew that it was a fantasy from the beginning, that nothing was real. When he couldn't figure out how to come back, he became settled in and emotional invested in it. When the truth was revealed, it likely hit him hard but his initial thoughts were correct. So rather than be traumatizing, it became a lifetime of good memories for him. In comparison he was forced into the collective and that was not pleasant at all and became traumatizing for him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
dalyr95 said:
Umm no, in Picard's quarters, the flute is quite a prominent item. Also he is seen to play it in many episodes.

Except in Generations, when he doesn't bother to pick up any of the stuff he got from the previous 7 seasons. Red Letter Media had a great bit about that. :lol

Shouta said:
It isn't glossed over, it's mentioned quite often and his ability to play the flute that you see at various times is thanks to the occurrence.

The episode is complicated when it comes to emotions and the aftermath. They don't really address it either so it becomes a mystery. The idea though is that Picard knew that it was a fantasy from the beginning, that nothing was real. When he couldn't figure out how to come back, he became settled in and emotional invested in it. When the truth was revealed, it likely hit him hard but his initial thoughts were correct. So rather than be traumatizing, it became a lifetime of good memories for him. In comparison he was forced into the collective and that was not pleasant at all and became traumatizing for him.

It comes back in that episode where he hooks up with the Stellar Cartography chick with the roll up piano.

But Trek drops a lot of crap - Picard's THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS thing for one. Berman has always been anti-continuity and even tried to push DS9 to adopt more stand-alone episodes.

Cheerilee

JoeMartin said:
That kind of depends on how the mind-thingy worked. If Picard lived this life and woke up 50 years later to find he was still Captain and only a few moments had passed to everyone else, then yeah, it would have fucked him up, but if it was only real to him until he woke up and then it faded like a dream, even if it was the most intensely vivid dream he could ever imagine, then he'd still be able to function normally, even if he was a bit shaken up by the experience.

Also, I find it amusing that Picard didn't let this affect him outwardly. He's suddenly the foremost (and only) expert in the Federation (and beyond) on the subject of a dead race, and he doesn't start giving lectures, he says "Yeah, that's private. I'm not telling you any stories about my dead family. Just let me go play my pipe in peace." Total backfire on their plan to leave behind a legacy.

Also, everything from 1:14 to 3:20 :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFD90iBvQWY

JoeMartin said:

One of the best episodes of TNG.
Shouta said:

And this.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
JoeMartin said:
I can't think of a single event in the whole series that would be more life shattering/personality altering for Picard than that (even over his whole brief stint in the collective), but they just gloss right over it in the end and never bring it up again.
I'd argue that neither this or anything else in TNG comes close to what Voyager did pretty much on weekly basis when it comes to ignoring continuity/character growth (I still have nightmares from that Paris and Janeway and their lizard family episode). Hell not even the TOS was as bad as Voyager in that regard.

benjipwns

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Except in Generations, when he doesn't bother to pick up any of the stuff he got from the previous 7 seasons. Red Letter Media had a great bit about that. :lol
The salvage crews must have picked up all the personal stuff because he has it in Nemesis. (Well, one of the character heavy scenes deleted so they could drive in a dune buggy and have a fist fight over the Enterprise-E's built-in bottomless pit.)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
o'brien had arguably the more traumatic experience in "hard time" on DS9. but he's a rough and tumble irishman, so it's no surprise he bounces back quickly and suppresses it emotionally in favor of playing darts with the boys.

no, seriously though, i thought this was handled really well. DS9 had a habit of being awesome so again, i am not that shocked.

benjipwns

Banned
Oh yeah, well, Harry Kim had to watch all his fellow crew members die (along with his counterpart), then join a duplicate Voyager's crew, replace that counterpart and pretend like it never happened!

And don't get me started on that whole Equinox affair, everybody got over that within like two weeks!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
benjipwns said:
Oh yeah, well, Harry Kim had to watch all his fellow crew members die (along with his counterpart), then join a duplicate Voyager's crew, replace that counterpart and pretend like it never happened!

And don't get me started on that whole Equinox affair, everybody got over that within like two weeks!

Voyager never happened. Duh.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i watched VOYAGER in its entirety

then i was removed from the apparatus and informed that it never happened, that my sentence was completed, and i've been in therapy ever since

Zenith

Banned
benjipwns said:

hehe, the Star Trek Encyclopedia just cuts off Harry and O'Brian's biographies midway with how they died.

Top Bottom