• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
soul creator said:
random observation, but I watched Star Trek IV for the first time the other day. When they find out that they were going to San Francisco, the camera immediately focuses on Sulu and he gets all happy and says "I was born there!"

Was that some kind of inside joke at the time? It made me chuckle, at least.

apparently it was mentioned in an episode of TOS

Q always seemed like a really lazy plot device anyways.

Well guys, we need something to introduce this awesome biomechanical race we've thought of...let's use an omnipotent being.

The Borg were always the most interesting character to me (Not so much as what they did, but what they stood for). A single-minded malevolence that swept across the galaxy like a plague. I always wanted to know more about them but they took very little time to expand their meaning/presence outside of "OMG, THE BORGS ARE HERE!" The origin story of the Borg would have been awesome.

I could be wrong here but didn't they explain their origin in ENT? I heard it's a pretty baaaaaaaaaaad episode

disagree about Q being a plot device..I mean, dude's omnipotent so he can do everything, but he doesn't really do much. They opted for a clownish characterization and, in my eyes, that was the only possible use for the character, before VOY ruined everything.

They couldn't have introduced the Borg in any other way, they're from a quadrant the Enterprise would never reach...I believe Braga and Berman had already planned a new serie about a ship in the Delta Quadrant, so they just had to say "there, say hello to the Borg, we'll develop their story in the next serie"

benjipwns

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
I could be wrong here but didn't they explain their origin in ENT?
No.
They couldn't have introduced the Borg in any other way, they're from a quadrant the Enterprise would never reach...I believe Braga and Berman had already planned a new serie about a ship in the Delta Quadrant, so they just had to say "there, say hello to the Borg, we'll develop their story in the next serie"
That'd be pretty impressive since Braga wasn't even part of Star Trek at that point. And I don't think he joined Voyager until the fourth or fifth season.

I think Maurice Hurley (of sexually harassing and firing Gates McFadden fame) is the guy who created the Borg, and wanted them to be insects originally.

ENT isn't canon anyway.

Anyway, I read an article about how Abrams and Shatner are having a lunch date to discuss Shatner being in Star Trek 2.

http://blog.taragana.com/e/2009/10/...ar-trek-sequel-with-shatner-over-lunch-45491/

Hopefully they won't bring back the actual Kirk Prime character back and instead just have Shatner play the role of another small character (or if it is Kirk Prime, just a cameo role with a few lines at the most). Nimoy worked well as a way to "pass the torch" to the new crew but I'm ready for new things and don't want the movie series to dwell on the past anymore. Also no Khan. New characters/stories please!!!

laserbeam

Banned
I dunno if they can come up with a good enough way to bring Shatner Kirk into it Id be all for it.

The Idea they had for the Cameo in the first one would have been pretty good. I can see the new Kirk being in a way obsessed with learning about the life stolen from him. I think Nimoy would need to be willing to come back again and do whatever to show new Kirk that life.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
BitchTits said:
On a similar note the more they brought back Tasha Yar, the more I rolled my eyes. When the actress came back as her Romulan daughter, that character had definately jumped the shark.
What? She only reappeared in like 4 episodes since she got killed off. That's not that many times in comparison to the total episodes in those 6 seasons.

Zabka

benjipwns said:
No.

That'd be pretty impressive since Braga wasn't even part of Star Trek at that point. And I don't think he joined Voyager until the fourth or fifth season.

I think Maurice Hurley (of sexually harassing and firing Gates McFadden fame) is the guy who created the Borg, and wanted them to be insects originally.
Yup, the episode Conspiracy was supposed to be the setup for big bad alien invaders to attack the Federation.

Anyway, I read an article about how Abrams and Shatner are having a lunch date to discuss Shatner being in Star Trek 2.
Star Trek 2: The Second Search For Spock - A copy of Kirk (who turns out to have been the original all along because Picard created his own fake Kirk to help him) punches through the Energy Ribbon and the walls of reality to have a turkey dinner with Spock

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Anasui Kishibe said:
I could be wrong here but didn't they explain their origin in ENT? I heard it's a pretty baaaaaaaaaaad episode
You heard wrong, it was pretty rad. They cheat a little bit, but they kinda had to.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Anasui Kishibe said:

disagree about Q being a plot device..I mean, dude's omnipotent so he can do everything, but he doesn't really do much. They opted for a clownish characterization and, in my eyes, that was the only possible use for the character, before VOY ruined everything.

Few things about The Borg

They were originally going to be an insect race, to continue the story arc from TNG season 1 with the parasites that tried to take over Starfleet. But it was deemed too expensive.

Enterprises take on the Borg was creative (even if it was just spun off from a WIlliam Shatner book). They essentially wrote that they were remains/survivors of the Borg Sphere from First Contact and were frozen in the ice. This also worked because the writers admitted that in TNG The Borg knew about the Federation (And The Federation high ups already knew about The Borg). This idea also found it's way to the DS9 writers who said that they never found a good place to write in that the Dominion knew about the Federation but was not expecting a conflict with them for hundreds of years and the Wormhole changed that.

Shartner's "Kirk Returns" books did the same thing before Enterprise did, but took it in an even more creative direction. The Borg attack on Earth in the past in First Contact resulted in Mankind becoming paranoid and militaristic, and that was the creation point for the Mirror Universe's Terran Empire.

DrForester said:
Few things about The Borg

They were originally going to be an insect race, to continue the story arc from TNG season 1 with the parasites that tried to take over Starfleet. But it was deemed too expensive.

Enterprises take on the Borg was creative (even if it was just spun off from a WIlliam Shatner book). They essentially wrote that they were remains/survivors of the Borg Sphere from First Contact and were frozen in the ice. This also worked because the writers admitted that in TNG The Borg knew about the Federation (And The Federation high ups already knew about The Borg). This idea also found it's way to the DS9 writers who said that they never found a good place to write in that the Dominion knew about the Federation but was not expecting a conflict with them for hundreds of years and the Wormhole changed that.

Shartner's "Kirk Returns" books did the same thing before Enterprise did, but took it in an even more creative direction. The Borg attack on Earth in the past in First Contact resulted in Mankind becoming paranoid and militaristic, and that was the creation point for the Mirror Universe's Terran Empire.

thanks for this doctor. This Shatner book looks pretty interesting

maharg

idspispopd
Anasui Kishibe said:

I feel like this gets brought up over and over again, but aside from the stuff relating to the S1 finale with the parasites, the Borg had already reached the alpha quadrant before Q Who in a way that's established in continuity. The attacks on colonies in Neutral Zone (in season 1) were by the borg.

Next Gen plays at midnight where I am, so im usually up late watching it. Im surprised at how many episodes I can remember. I dont remember watching it on a regular basis ever. I might have watched it alot as a kid and just not remembered it, as I try to forget my childhood.

maharg said:
I feel like this gets brought up over and over again, but aside from the stuff relating to the S1 finale with the parasites, the Borg had already reached the alpha quadrant before Q Who in a way that's established in continuity. The attacks on colonies in Neutral Zone (in season 1) were by the borg.

yep, Data or maybe Wesley say something like "this is similar to what happened to the NZ" when scanning the planets into the Borg space. That was probably a scout or something, though, their first face to face, their official introduction came with Q Who, which was my point. Not sure if ENT retcons their history before that point since I haven't seen the infamous episode

Anasui Kishibe said:
yep, Data or maybe Wesley say something like "this is similar to what happened to the NZ" when scanning the planets into the Borg space. That was probably a scout or something, though, their first face to face, their official introduction came with Q Who, which was my point. Not sure if ENT retcons their history before that point since I haven't seen the infamous episode
Enterprise doesn't deal with the actual earlier history of the Borg, but some leftover bits from what the Enterprise-E crew blew up in First Contact.

EDIT: I always liked this bit from that episode.
ARCHER: There was something familiar about all this, but I couldn't put my finger on it until I find this speech Zefram Cochrane made eighty nine years ago. When I was a kid, I read everything I could about him. It took me a while, but I finally found it in the database. He was giving a commencement address at Princeton when he started to talk about what really happened during First Contact. He mentioned a group of cybernetic creatures from the future who tried to stop his first warp flight when he was living in Montana. He said they were defeated by a group of humans who were also from the future.

T'POL: As I recall, Cochrane was famous for his imaginative stories. He was also known to be frequently intoxicated.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i watched NEMESIS for the first time last night. good lord. i feel like the things that made the characters of TNG interesting were largely lost here, and--in retrospect--for most of the duration of the TNG films. contrasting the show with the movies made that difference really apparent. picard in the show is very formal and adherent to regulations, and he observes a lot of the formalities of starfleet; this makes the moments when he loosens up for a moment or shows some intimacy with someone much more poignant. in the films, i didn't feel that at all. i also think that they lost the idea that was emphasized so much in the show that riker is extremely clever and capable, and not just picard's flunkie. there were several episodes in which he accomplished something through his out-of-the-box thinking and tactics that picard couldn't, and that made him interesting.

anyway, yeah, NEMESIS. major disappointment.

the one thing I hate about the movies, let alone Nemesis which is a pretty horrid movie by itself, is the pathetic attempt at humour. So bloody cringeworthy

benjipwns

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i watched NEMESIS for the first time last night. good lord. i feel like the things that made the characters of TNG interesting were largely lost here, and--in retrospect--for most of the duration of the TNG films. contrasting the show with the movies made that difference really apparent. picard in the show is very formal and adherent to regulations, and he observes a lot of the formalities of starfleet; this makes the moments when he loosens up for a moment or shows some intimacy with someone much more poignant. in the films, i didn't feel that at all. i also think that they lost the idea that was emphasized so much in the show that riker is extremely clever and capable, and not just picard's flunkie. there were several episodes in which he accomplished something through his out-of-the-box thinking and tactics that picard couldn't, and that made him interesting.

anyway, yeah, NEMESIS. major disappointment.
Has one of the best space battles in the entire series, but everything around it is just horrible.

Maybe they should've let Frakes direct again instead of someone who had never seen a single episode of Star Trek and insisted on dune buggy chases and fist fights over bottomless pits. At least the no credit zoom into Romulus opening was a good decision on his part.

Also to be fair, like a third of the movie was cut out. On the Special Edition DVD you can see all the scenes where Picard has more moments with Data, Beverly, and others, which all got stripped out to give it the short running time it has. There's like twenty minutes of cut scenes on the DVDs out of like almost a whole hour of extra footage that was all shot then cut. They basically cut out every single bit of character related stuff from the movie.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
god, the "romulan threat" in TNG is so weak. watching "pegasus" right now, and it just seems like they're always talking about the romulans, the romulans, the romulans, and how threatening and dangerous they are, and the awful things they have done, but actually intimidating and threatening romulans are rarely if ever present on the show. it doesn't matter much, really, as its the conflicts aboard the enterprise and the problem-solving in each episode that's really the most interesting, but keee-rist is it sort of irksome for everyone to keep talking about the romulans while the cardassians--who are actually fairly intimidating--get cameo-level screen time.

it really emphasizes just how incredible marc alaimo was on DS9 as dukat. the man was a fucking menace.

CiSTM

Banned
Started to watch TNG yet again. This is probably my 6th watch through :lol It is not even that good of a show but I love some episodes so much that I just can't get enough off 'em. Also the crew is superb. Currently I'm on 4th season and this is probably one of the best seasons of TNG. Right now I'm watching Data's Day and it is one of my all time favorites. So many good scenes. Especially the dance lesson scene. Data's creepy smile at the end of the scene just nails it :lol

laserbeam

Banned
Never-before-seen 'Star Trek' pilot found

"Star Trek" fans know there were two pilots for the original series.

The first, "The Cage," was rejected by NBC for being "too cerebral" (ah, some things never change).

The second, "Where No Man Has Gone Before," replaced the actor who played the captain with William Shatner and was more action driven. That pilot had an alternate version which was largely lost and has never aired. Apparently, a film collector in Germany acquired the print and "recently brought it to the attention" of CBS/Paramount. CBS is now releasing this version on Blu-ray Dec. 15.

The alternate version is in three parts with 1970s-style act breaks, an entirely different version of Captain James T. Kirk's opening monologue ("But now a new task. A probe out into where no man has gone before") and music that contrasts from the famous opening theme and an extended action sequence.

From the release:

This version of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was completed in 1965 and features archived footage that was not included in the pilot episode ultimately broadcasted. Never-before-aired, this newly recovered version is believed to be what was originally screened for NBC, and the basis for their decision to broadcast STAR TREK®. ... "When we first discovered the original film print existed, we jumped at the chance to give STAR TREK fans the opportunity to add this never aired pilot to their collections," said Ken Ross, executive vice president and general manager of CBS Home Entertainment. "It will be a real treat for fans to see and hear how it all could have begun."

The restored pilot will be included in the "Star Trek: Original Series - Season 3" Blu-ray release..

Thought this was worth sharing in its badness. TrekMovie.com often has several-page previews of upcoming Star Trek comics. This upcoming Next Generation one just seems... sloppy. A different artistic take on characters is one thing, but whatever the hell is going on in the top right panel here is another.

ghosts_1_4.jpg

Tobor

At the behest of a certain GAF DS9 fan, I'm deep into my first ever run through of DS9. My mid second season thoughts:

Avery Brooks is getting better, but he's still rather unlikeable as a character. In the words of Super Nintendo Chalmers: "The rod up that man's butt has a rod up it's butt."

The Ferengi are mildly politically incorrect, but you have to love them.

Something about the Bajorans rubs me the wrong way. They just aren't very likable as a whole. And the Bajoran uniforms are awful. They look like the earth-tone pantsuits my Grandmother would buy in the 80's.

The slooowww build up to the introduction of the Dominion is well done, J. Michael Straczynski is doing a great job with that. ;)

As for the other characters:

Kera Nerys: So far, fairly bland. Suffers from Bajor-itis. Peach is not a good color for her.
O'Brien: a decent character so far, he's better the crankier he is.
Quark: One of my favorites so far, he seems like the easiest character to write for.
Odo: The "where do I come from" Data-ish stuff is a little ho-hum. I like Odo best when he's being a detective.
Dax: Terry Farrell isn't really selling me on the 300 years old thing.
Garak: Too soon to see if the hype is justified, but I like him.
Gol Dukat: Good villain, I already see why he's so well liked by the community.

Bashir: Ugh.

Overall, I'm really enjoying the show, and I'm irritated when I run out of discs and have to wait for Netflix to ship me the next batch.

I'm dreading the Worf-transfusion in Season 4, but we'll see. I'll try to keep an open mind.

Walshicus

It's like the artist got his ten year old son to draw Riker...

Also, I didn't know Gates McFadden left because of sexual harassment!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Tobor said:
At the behest of a certain GAF DS9 fan, I'm deep into my first ever run through of DS9. My mid second season thoughts:

Avery Brooks is getting better, but he's still rather unlikeable as a character. In the words of Super Nintendo Chalmers: "The rod up that man's butt has a rod up it's butt."

The Ferengi are mildly politically incorrect, but you have to love them.

Something about the Bajorans rubs me the wrong way. They just aren't very likable as a whole. And the Bajoran uniforms are awful. They look like the earth-tone pantsuits my Grandmother would buy in the 80's.

The slooowww build up to the introduction of the Dominion is well done, J. Michael Straczynski is doing a great job with that. ;)

As for the other characters:

Kera Nerys: So far, fairly bland. Suffers from Bajor-itis. Peach is not a good color for her.
O'Brien: a decent character so far, he's better the crankier he is.
Quark: One of my favorites so far, he seems like the easiest character to write for.
Odo: The "where do I come from" Data-ish stuff is a little ho-hum. I like Odo best when he's being a detective.
Dax: Terry Farrell isn't really selling me on the 300 years old thing.
Garak: Too soon to see if the hype is justified, but I like him.
Gol Dukat: Good villain, I already see why he's so well liked by the community.

Bashir: Ugh.

Overall, I'm really enjoying the show, and I'm irritated when I run out of discs and have to wait for Netflix to ship me the next batch.

I'm dreading the Worf-transfusion in Season 4, but we'll see. I'll try to keep an open mind.

every time you watch an episode of DS9, you earn ten cool points on the beelzebozo cool point scale.

Tobor

beelzebozo said:
every time you watch an episode of DS9, you earn ten cool points on the beelzebozo cool point scale.

I would have hoped I'd already tipped the scale in my favor. ;)

beelzebozo said:
hey, you might enjoy checking out the star trek wiki MEMORY ALPHA for the episodes as you go along. i liked reading the trivia after i watched each one, just to get the extra little behind-the-scenes nuggets.
While I did this, too, warning that this sometimes involves spoilers I wish I hadn't seen. Occasional tidbits like "This would be X's last appearance on the series.", "They considered killing off Y in this episode, but decided to hold it off until episode Z.", or "Inconsequential thing R from this episode is referenced two years from now in episode S as part of the T plot."

Yeah he was horrid in the first season, so unnecessarily confrontational. Really awkward to watch. But by the end he was one of my favourite Trek characters of all.

Watched 'Let He Who is Without Sin...' from season 5 of DS9 last night and really wish I hadn't - surely a major contender for worst DS9 episode ever? I can't stand the Dax/Worf stuff and it seems at it's most intollerable during this episode as Dax struggles to get Worf to unwind on Risa, while Worf is disaproving of Dax's free-spirited nature and jealous of her previous hosts familiarity with Risa's female social director.

Thankfully the next episode 'Things Past' was much better and see's Dax, Odo, Garak & Sisko transposed into the bodies of Bajorn workers on board Terok Nor during the Cardassian occupation, one of my favourites from DS9 as it expands Odo's character without any of that annoying 'need to find my people' crap.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Bootaaay said:
Watched 'Let He Who is Without Sin...' from season 5 of DS9 last night and really wish I hadn't - surely a major contender for worst DS9 episode ever? I can't stand the Dax/Worf stuff and it seems at it's most intollerable during this episode as Dax struggles to get Worf to unwind on Risa, while Worf is disaproving of Dax's free-spirited nature and jealous of her previous hosts familiarity with Risa's female social director.

Thankfully the next episode 'Things Past' was much better and see's Dax, Odo, Garak & Sisko transposed into the bodies of Bajorn workers on board Terok Nor during the Cardassian occupation, one of my favourites from DS9 as it expands Odo's character without any of that annoying 'need to find my people' crap.

Things Past is like a reverse "Necessary Evil", it's great that even Odo had secrets to hide during the Occupation.

Tobor

OK, I finished up season 2, and I'm hooked. "The Wire" was great as advertised, but "Jem'Hadar" sealed the deal.

I can't wait for the day that Netflix gets rid of discs and streams everything, the earliest I can get more episodes is Tuesday. AIDFBVAUIPB!!!!!1111

Tobor said:
OK, I finished up season 2, and I'm hooked. "The Wire" was great as advertised, but "Jem'Hadar" sealed the deal.

I can't wait for the day that Netflix gets rid of discs and streams everything, the earliest I can get more episodes is Tuesday. AIDFBVAUIPB!!!!!1111
If you weren't so goddamn lazy about returning the discs.

Top Bottom