• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

After Generations? Sulu was captain, Spock became the Vulcan ambassador, ends up in NuTrek alternate universe, Scotty gets trapped in a transporter in a Dyson Sphere until the 24th century and then toodles off to who-knows-where in a shuttle, it sounded like Uhura was going into teaching, and who knows what Chekov did.

Remember, McCoy was in the first episode of TNG as an Admiral, so he was there as well.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Remember, McCoy was in the first episode of TNG as an Admiral, so he was there as well.

oh, he was there?

After Generations? Sulu was captain, Spock became the Vulcan ambassador, ends up in NuTrek alternate universe, Scotty gets trapped in a transporter in a Dyson Sphere until the 24th century and then toodles off to who-knows-where in a shuttle, it sounded like Uhura was going into teaching, and who knows what Chekov did.

chekov become some leader in Babylon 5 :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That's just make up right? I doubt DeForrest actually looked like that in that time and it's just to simulate a large gap!

EDIT: Ah right, the last TOS mvoie was early 90's and the first TNG ep was late 80's.

That's just make up right? I doubt DeForrest actually looked like that in that time and it's just to simulate a large gap!

EDIT: Ah right, the last TOS mvoie was early 90's and the first TNG ep was late 80's.

Yes, that's make up. Here's a segment of Kelley during TNG's 4th season in 1990, when he was 70: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UvlqGcE-S0

The make up work in the pilot of TNG made Bones look almost exactly like the TOS episode with the aging virus.

TOS2x12.png

Space is warped around the ship. The ship never goes faster than light but the space around it does. Also, a wizard did it.
I will agree that a wizard did it.

But just putting aside the wizard, for fun, you can't warp space, right? You can only warp spacetime, since space and time are inseparable from each other. Similarly, our Sun is warping spacetime, and we'd perceive, for example, The Voyager spacecraft moving (a tiny bit) more slowly than it thinks it is (i.e. it is aging faster than we are). Now, our Sun only warps it slightly so the effects are negligible, but if you want to get anywhere far away, you would have to warp spacetime like crazy.

Eh, I'll read more about it. NASA's working on it, so obviously there's something I'm misunderstanding.

Fuchsdh

I will agree that a wizard did it.

But just putting aside the wizard, for fun, you can't warp space, right? You can only warp spacetime, since space and time are inseparable from each other. Similarly, our Sun is warping spacetime, and we'd perceive, for example, The Voyager spacecraft moving (a tiny bit) more slowly than it thinks it is (i.e. it is aging faster than we are). Now, our Sun only warps it slightly so the effects are negligible, but if you want to get anywhere far away, you would have to warp spacetime like crazy.

Eh, I'll read more about it. NASA's working on it, so obviously there's something I'm misunderstanding.

I think Escape Goat's wrong, actually. What he's talking about—moving space around you—is what people seem to be focusing on for real-life FTL since according to that nitwit Einstein it's impossible to go faster by conventional means.

In Star Trek, you basically go into subspace and travel that way. They wisely) never goes into the nitty-gritty of what the hell that means. Also solves a lot of conventional problems like "how do I send a signal to the other side of the planet" and how you can have instantaneous communications across large distances.

Star Trek FTL uses "warp space" tech to propel objects beyond the light barrier.

They don't enter subspace. That is what the Borg do through their "trans warp" conduits.

It's also how Star Wars does FTL, though "hyperspace," where they routinely travel quadrant sized distances in a few days rather than decades.

In some episodes it seems like the warp bubble that the warp engine generates reduces the mass of the ship to almost nothing, so that also help with the acceleration to high speeds. Of course even if it reduced the mass to zero it would be impossible to pass light speed in real space...

Too bad they never really used time dilation effects in stories. It would have been a nice way of explaining Worf's son's soap opera speed ageing for example...

edit: I think subspace is a factor in warp travel tho. Warp drive malfunction can cause a wormhole, which is a subspace phenomenon. And also that TNG episode where they came up with warp speed limits, IIRC had subspace leaking into normal space because the high warp speeds caused something or other...

In some episodes it seems like the warp bubble that the warp engine generates reduces the mass of the ship to almost nothing, so that also help with the acceleration to high speeds. Of course even if it reduced the mass to zero it would be impossible to pass light speed in real space...

Too bad they never really used time dilation effects in stories. It would have been a nice way of explaining Worf's son's soap opera speed ageing for example...

Voyager did an episode dealing with time dilation. The Doctor got stranded on the planet for a couple decades if I remember correctly.

I think the idea may be that warp fields reduce mass "below zero" from a quantum point of view. It's why ships at warp have no momentum when losing warp capacity and drop out of warp immediately.

I think the TNG Technical Manual explains how the ships use special dampening fields to cancel out time dilation.

Otherwise, most effects that could be related to time dilation were usually discrete space-time fissures or "cracks" that presented a problem to overcome.

Voyager did an episode dealing with time dilation. The Doctor got stranded on the planet for a couple decades if I remember correctly.

Oh yeah, that was a pretty good episode, Blink of an Eye. I was thinking of time dilation because of high speeds and only some Stargate episodes came to mind...

i just watched Blink of an Eye episode. He was just gone for 3 years. 1 second on Voyager was something like 3 days on the planet. But of course the expert team of Belanna and Janeway screwed up.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The thing I always wondered about Blink of an Eye, and I don't remember if it's explained, but is why the planet seems to only have just been created by the time Voyager shows up. Because we see it from basically the beginning of their existence and shortly after Voyager appears in the sky. But how much of their time had passed before Voyager? Because it would be really weird if it had been around for millennia (our time) because that would equate to a much longer time without any technological advancement. Surely someone would have advanced technology without Voyager being around. How did they not even come up with another religion or something?

Good episode though. Now I want to watch it.

Fuchsdh

The thing I always wondered about Blink of an Eye, and I don't remember if it's explained, but is why the planet seems to only have just been created by the time Voyager shows up. Because we see it from basically the beginning of their existence and shortly after Voyager appears in the sky. But how much of their time had passed before Voyager? Because it would be really weird if it had been around for millennia (our time) because that would equate to a much longer time without any technological advancement. Surely someone would have advanced technology without Voyager being around. How did they not even come up with another religion or something?

Good episode though. Now I want to watch it.

Eh, I think you can just spin it as Voyager happened to turn up near the beginning of civilization—"sheer luck" driven by plot.

Honestly, I'd still have say my favorite Voyager episode is Timeless. Such a damn good episode. Harry Kim is actually really fucking good in it.

Honestly, outside of Scorpion, the time episodes are usually really good in Voyager... minus Fury.

Was there an explanation why the briefing room wall was changed? It used to have the ships named Enterprise and then it got changed to a normal wall.

Jackpot

Banned

No, they go into quite a bit of detail about how Warp Drive works. The big glowy flashy things are called nacelles. They contain warp coils made of verterium cortenide submerged in warp plasma. The plasma supplies the energy needed for the coils to warp space, laid out like a bubble. The front of the bubble expands space and the rear contracts it, pushing the ship forward. Inside the bubble you are still travelling at impulse speeds.

There's a real one theorised called the Alcubierre drive as there are so many natural examples of space being warped.

Look at picture 1 and picture 4. The models are missing in the later seasons. I was curious if there was a production reason why they changed it or if they just got busted.

?

The wall with the models is directly opposite the window wall. The wall with the viewscreen in the second photo is perpindicular to the window wall. The models were never taken away, AFAIK.

edit: Now I see the 4th pic you mentioned. That Memory Alpha page you linked has this explanation:

In 2366 of an alternate timeline, the battleship Enterprise-D had an observation lounge which omitted the display of Enterprise models and seemed to have only one door. However, the conference table was still a feature of the room, as was a row of windows built into one of the walls. One addition was a large tactical graphic of the Enterprise-D, illustrated in blue and yellow on a transparent, vertical stand. (TNG: "Yesterday's Enterprise")

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
4th picture is from Star Trek Online and would be a generic Galaxy Class observation lounge. I don't remember them ever being removed in the show. I suppose they could have been damaged during Star Trek VI when the Observation Lounge was redressed as the Enterprise A Dining Room for the dinner scene.

?

The wall with the models is directly opposite the window wall. The wall with the viewscreen in the second photo is perpindicular to the window wall. The models were never taken away, AFAIK.

Um.

*looks at picture 1*

*looks at picture 4*

Your eyesight okay there?

Anyways, I think they probably just took it out cause the oakwood wall with bronzed ships looked a bit 80s.

No, they go into quite a bit of detail about how Warp Drive works. The big glowy flashy things are called nacelles. They contain warp coils made of verterium cortenide submerged in warp plasma. The plasma supplies the energy needed for the coils to warp space, laid out like a bubble. The front of the bubble expands space and the rear contracts it, pushing the ship forward. Inside the bubble you are still travelling at impulse speeds.

There's a real one theorised called the Alcubierre drive as there are so many natural examples of space being warped.

Well, I think you are reading between the lines there. They never go into that much detail on how everything works, and occasionally terms subspace bubble and warp bubble are used describing the same thing. They talk about using warp bubble to reducuce mass of an asteroid in episode Deja Q, and I think also in some later episodes. There are no natural examples of space being warped which would indicate the possibility of FTL travel - meaning no near infinite energy sources and/or exotic materials.

I watched some of the animated series this morning. Its pretty damn funny. I saw an episode that featured only Spock, Sulu and Uhura which was weird because they didn't shoehorn Kirk or the Enterprise in anywhere. In fact, you never see or hear them.

Uhura got stunned 3 or 4 times though.

I watched some of the animated series this morning. Its pretty damn funny. I saw an episode that featured only Spock, Sulu and Uhura which was weird because they didn't shoehorn Kirk or the Enterprise in anywhere. In fact, you never see or hear them.

Uhura got stunned 3 or 4 times though.

The Slaver Weapon?

Jackpot

Banned
Well, I think you are reading between the lines there. They never go into that much detail on how everything works, and occasionally terms subspace bubble and warp bubble are used describing the same thing. They talk about using warp bubble to reducuce mass of an asteroid in episode Deja Q, and I think also in some later episodes. There are no natural examples of space being warped which would indicate the possibility of FTL travel - meaning no near infinite energy sources and/or exotic materials.

I'm quoting the technical manuals. Also the Alcubierre drive is explicitly inspired by ST's warp drive.

I'm quoting the technical manuals. Also the Alcubierre drive is explicitly inspired by ST's warp drive.

Well, the technical manuals also talk about dolphin navigators being on Enterprise D... I don't consider them being canon the same way TV episodes are.

Fuchsdh

So Wesley was just pressing buttons that didn't do shit. Everything is so clear now.

Pretty much. The technical manuals are thrown out there so the extreme nerds have something to chew on, but ultimately they're going to be ignored or overwritten whenever it's necessary or convenient.

Top Bottom