• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Cheerilee

Still, it's the Defiant....commanded by Worf.

Worf's a jobber (wrestling term). He looks big and mean and strong, but then he loses fights just to make the enemy look even stronger by comparison. If Sisko or Dax had been in command, the ship would've been just fine... offscreen.

Edit: And... I just noticed the wrestling avatar. -_-

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Worf's a jobber (wrestling term). He looks big and mean and strong, but then he loses fights just to make the enemy look even stronger by comparison. If Sisko or Dax had been in command, the ship would've been just fine... offscreen.

To be fair, Worf had to deal not only with the Borg, but that asshole in the Corellian Freighter getting in the way.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
GAF, I'm planning on finishing up season 7 today and need to know if I should watch the whole thing or do you guys have an abridged list or something.

GAF, I'm planning on finishing up season 7 today and need to know if I should watch the whole thing or do you guys have an abridged list or something.

I'm guessing you mean TNG, and to me, this is the worst season except for the Final episode, which is one of the best episodes in the series. Here's what I would suggest:

1) Descent, Part II
6) Phantasms
8) Attached
10) Inheritance (only if you care about Data's origin)
11) Parallels
12) The Pegasus
15) Lower Decks (episode featuring other crew members of the enterprise)
19) Genesis
20) Journey's End (Only watch this if you want to find out what happens to Wesley. This is a bad episode)
22) Bloodlines
25 & 26) All Good Things... (So Good!)

I'm sure people will disagree with me and when you sent out the request you're already watching them already, but oh well.

antonz

I'm guessing you mean TNG, and to me, this is the worst season except for the Final episode, which is one of the best episodes in the series. Here's what I would suggest:

1) Descent, Part II
6) Phantasms
8) Attached
11) Parallels
12) The Pegasus
19) Genesis
20) Journey's End (Only watch this if you want to find out what happens to Wesley. This is a bad episode)
22) Bloodlines

I'm sure people will disagree with me and when you sent out the request you're already watching them already, but oh well.

All good choices. Lower Decks was one of my favorites from that season for sure. Gave a good look outside of the bridge crew and had a good story to it

I usually make it to about minute 27 of the Enterprise montage before I lose all will to live while watching TMP.

fanedit.org to the rescue!

http://www.fanedit.org/ifdb/2012-08-20-02-19-12/tag/originalmovietitle/star-trek-the-motion-picture/

When there's a salvageable film in a movie that has arguably crippling flaws, it's pretty guaranteed that somebody, somewhere has made a complete edit of the film that alters it, sometimes for the better.

I'm partial to the "30s Silent Film Edition" of the Star Wars Trilogy as well as its deformed younger sibling. It's amazing how much less terrible it gets when you remove most of Jar Jar, mentions of Midichlorians and all spoken dialogue.

…heh, somebody also edited the "Enterprise" series finale solely to remove the TNG parts.

maharg

idspispopd
If I want the kind of movie TMP is trying to be, I'm better off watching 2001. If I want the kind of movie Khan wants to be there is absolutely nothing I could watch that would do the job better.

If I want the kind of movie TMP is trying to be, I'm better off watching 2001. If I want the kind of movie Khan wants to be there is absolutely nothing I could watch that would do the job better.

The analysis of Wrath of Khan that sfdebris did and why Search for Spock didn't work out despite having many good elements going for it was particularly insightful, I thought. If you haven't seen it, I recommend hunting it down.

Noema

TMP is a flawed movie for sure, but as a fan of more traditional, deliberate science fiction I have a soft spot for it.

Kahn and TUC are better movies ( and better Star Trek movies) than TMP, but I'd rather watch TMP than any of the TNG films.

maharg

idspispopd
TMP is a flawed movie for sure, but as a fan of more traditional, deliberate science fiction I have a soft spot for it.

Kahn and TUC are better movies ( and better Star Trek movies) than TMP, but I'd rather watch TMP than any of the TNG films.

Weird. I think of TMP as the only Trek movie that's pretty much unwatchable. I'm super critical of the TNG movies in a way most Trek fans aren't, but I still find them mostly fun. Even the worst of them. I even think Nemesis is an ok TWoK homage in an "aw look at them try way too hard" kind of way.

But TMP is just too high on itself and doesn't deliver on the high concept. On top of being deathly slow and having the worst costume design of the entirety of Trek, the only things I can really give it credit for is that it introduced what would become the (not quite as awesome as the STII/STIII theme, imo but still pretty fantastic) TNG theme song and the new look of the Enterprise (which I actually think is the height of Enterprise designs, thing looks like a slick hotrod compared to every other iteration). I didn't need to stare at it for 20 minutes though.

[edit] Sorry, I actually also consider Insurrection pretty much unwatchable for similar "not delivering on a high concept" and "oh my god this is boring" kind of issues.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My eternal soft spot for The Motion Picture is based mostly around the fact that VGER is so much a Culture GSV (for your sci-fi cross pollination) it's not even funny. It's like watching clips from a non-existent Culture feature film edited with Star Trek footage.

Well, okay, VGER is a Culture GSV with a fucking moron plugged in where the Mind should go, but that's quibbling.

How common of an opinion is it that all the movies are pretty much meh compared to the TV shows (TNG and ToS.. some might include DS9)? Some are more meh than others, but still..

The show feels a lot more intellectual, and with less cheesy hollywood crap thrown in. First Contact is awful- borg were turned into evil zombies with a queen, picard became rambo, etc. Wrath of Khan is cheesy, and doesnt keep the feel of the TV series at all.. just feels like some random action movie. "Revenge is a dish best served cold... it is very cold in spaaaaaace"... wtf is that?

maharg

idspispopd
How common of an opinion is it that all the movies are pretty much meh compared to the TV shows (TNG and ToS.. some might include DS9)? Some are more meh than others, but still..

The show feels a lot more intellectual, and with less cheesy hollywood crap thrown in. First Contact is awful- borg were turned into evil zombies with a queen, picard became rambo, etc. Wrath of Khan is cheesy, and doesnt keep the feel of the TV series at all.. just feels like some random action movie. "Revenge is a dish best served cold... it is very cold in spaaaaaace"... wtf is that?

Eh. TOS was pretty damn cheesy. I think it takes some pretty heavy rose tinted glasses to not see that. It had its moments of high concept pulled off decently well, and for SF TV in the 60s was pretty tops, but nothing Khan did would have been out of character in TOS.

This is a show with a racism allegory where people with black on the left side of their face and people with black on the right side of their face wiped each other out for that difference and then the last two chased each other across the galaxy. It's also the show where a crewman became a god complete with lasers shooting out of his eyes because of ... energy... at the edge of the galaxy... or something. And where Kirk *literally* went Native while trying to save a planet of 'savages' from an asteroid.

And I love all of that. And I love Khan for both revelling in it and putting it on a higher stage. And I love it for its massive use of Shakespeare and Melville quotes. One of the reasons I love TWoK so much is because I think it distilled the balance between cheese and concept of the whole original series into one film. And yeah, that means it's balanced more towards cheese than concept, but that's part of why I love it.

jb1234

1) Descent, Part II
6) Phantasms
8) Attached
11) Parallels
12) The Pegasus
19) Genesis
22) Bloodlines

It's hard to find great episodes in Season 7. With your list, I'd remove Descent II (an underwhelming conclusion to a decent first part), Genesis (absolute shit), Bloodlines (blah) and add Preemptive Strike, a GREAT Picard episode. Everything else is pretty solid.

Come on now. He did manage to kill Duras. Sure he wasn't on the Enterprise at the time but it was close.

One of his few moments on TNG.

In DS9 Worf is kicking ass and taking names. Waves of Jem'Hadar, bring em on!

Back on Enterprise Worf charges his advisory.....Worf is summarily thrown aside and is now on the floor down for the count.

Even the cargo bay fucks him up!

ts

antonz

TOS was without a doubt full of cheese. Some of it was the only way to get topics beyond the censors and studio management though. You cant speak of racial equality and the silliness of hatred. Make half black and half white people and suddenly topic is ok cause its goofy aliens.

Some of that gets lost in the modern day because the topics aren't taboo anymore so the cheese really stands out.

Currently just watched "chain of command", both parts. Haven't skipped a single episode of tng so far.

Loving it.

I can now see why people fight when someone goes on saying that TOS is better than TNg. But a far as I'm concerned, they're both pretty differenty situations.

One was ran by monkeys in suits while the othe one was run by suits in monkey costumes. You guys figure out which one was which :p

maharg

idspispopd
TOS was without a doubt full of cheese. Some of it was the only way to get topics beyond the censors and studio management though. You cant speak of racial equality and the silliness of hatred. Make half black and half white people and suddenly topic is ok cause its goofy aliens.

Some of that gets lost in the modern day because the topics aren't taboo anymore so the cheese really stands out.

I hoped it was clear from my post that I didn't consider it a bad thing. And while, yes, that's true that sometimes the cheese was an attempt to end-run around the studio's (and audience's) sensibilities, a lot of the time the cheese really was just cheese.

And it wasn't unique to Trek, either. Read any written SF from the period and odds are pretty good it's very similar in the cheese factor. One of the reasons Trek was so amazing at the time was actually that they hired real SF writers to write for it. But it is an artefact of the era.

flyover

You got it wrong. He didn't write Darmok, he directed it. Along with a lot of Trek including "All Good Things..."
Aw, that sucks. Kolbe often did a great job getting the best out of the ST:TNG actors. He elevated (or at least maxed out) a lot of the scripts he was given to direct.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As weird as this sounds, I think this is the first time I've thought of a Star Trek director (not including the cast). It never occurred to me that Star Trek does have a specific look to it, for better or for worse.

Cypher

If you missed out on the 25th anniversary celebration & Season 1 Blu-Ray episodes in select theaters a couple of months ago, it's happening again.....this time for Season 2!

d13f9dab4c8a7095108d8bec4012537cc91bcd10-580x243.jpg

http://www.fathomevents.com/classics/event/startrekng2.aspx

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – A CELEBRATION OF SEASON 2
11/29/2012

NCM Fathom Events and CBS Home Entertainment are coming together again to celebrate Season 2 of the iconic series Star Trek: The Next Generation in a special one night big screen event.

Star Trek: The Next Generation – A Celebration of Season 2
In Select Movie Theaters Nationwide
Thursday, November 29th at 7:00 PM (local time)
Only One Night

This not to be missed movie theatre event will feature two of the most popular Next Generation episodes, Q Who? and The Measure of a Man which will include, for the very first time, about 13 minutes of never before additional content.

This special event will also include exclusive looks at the extensive restoration taken to make Season 2 look better than ever before, never-before-seen interviews with the original cast members, a behind-the-scenes look at the artists who created the original FX elements and photography and a reunion with the original cast members, captured in December 2011, as they celebrate 25 years of this unforgettable series.

Set in the 24th century, The Next Generation was created by Gene Roddenberry over 20 years after the original Star Trek series. The Next Generation became the longest running series of the Star Trek franchise, consisting of 178 episodes over 7 seasons. Star Trek: The Next Generation – A Celebration of Season 2 is the first opportunity to see a transcendent digital presentation and the world premiere of the extended cut of The Measure of a Man in select movie theaters nationwide on Thursday, November 29th at 7:00 PM (local time).

Tickets will be on sale to the public on Friday, November 2nd.

Top Bottom