• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

TheFatOne

SF Debris just posted part 1 of their "Chain of Command" review.

Will watch when I have the free time. Is there a general what are you watching thread? or general sci fi thread? I want to talk about Babylon 5, but I don't feel like making a new thread. I'm about half way through season 3, and I love this show already.

Rinoa

Watched the first half of Chain of Command review, I feel dejavu probably because I've read/seen so many reviews on those episodes that he hasn't brought up anything fresh and new. What I do like is that he hasn't railed on Riker like other reviewers have - Riker has every reason to feel put out by not being in command of Enterprise at first, esp since he has no idea why Jellydude is taking over at the start.

Hmm so I watched the TNG Episode "Remember Me" yesterday as it was one of the few episodes that I didn't know yet and I think for me personally it is the most creepy Star Trek episode ever made. When I was younger I usually got scared at the Borg but seeing Doctor Crusher questioning her sanity as the crew slowly disappears really made me feel uneasy as a viewer. I also really liked the fact that they didn't reveal the truth until near the end too because of course after seeing the flash in Engineering and the vortex's you know that something is wrong but I would have never thought that
Beverly herself was actually trapped in a warp-bubble which blew my mind a bit as I realized what was going on.

What added to the sheer creepiness for me was that the entire rest of the crew acted as if everything is entirely logical,
the empty rooms being explained with transport and diplomatic missions and finally Captain Picard saying that the Enterprise always only had a crew of two
, all that helped to show how helpless and lost the character of Beverly Crusher must have been with the happenings around her. What added to everything aswell was the dialog between her and the Computer about the nature of the universe and construction mistakes of the Enterprise which made me chuckle and brought in a good sense of humor. So what is the opinion of everyone else here on that episode? :)

(I don't want to ruin the fun for anyone that hasn't seen it yet, that's why I hid some things :p)

oracrest

My Star Trek kick of a couple years continues. I am slowly getting through DS9, somewhere in season 3 or so, and it's good, but it still hasn't really "hooked" me yet. I decided to watch an episode of TNG instead the other week, and that has sucked me in once again.

I also watched William Shatner's "Get a Life" doc on netflix, and that was an interesting watch. I didn't enjoy it as much as The Captains, but it was still cool.

My Star Trek kick of a couple years continues. I am slowly getting through DS9, somewhere in season 3 or so, and it's good, but it still hasn't really "hooked" me yet. I decided to watch an episode of TNG instead the other week, and that has sucked me in once again.

I also watched William Shatner's "Get a Life" doc on netflix, and that was an interesting watch. I didn't enjoy it as much as The Captains, but it was still cool.

That's because TNG is good.

jb1234

Hmm so I watched the TNG Episode "Remember Me" yesterday as it was one of the few episodes that I didn't know yet

That's a good one, one of the rare Dr. Crusher episodes that actually works.

Also the first three seasons of DS9 are deathly boring.

The first season isn't great but the second is one of the best seasons of Star Trek, period.

Also the first three seasons of DS9 are deathly boring.

Fixed for accuracy.
Wow. I've not seen it yet as I'm making my way through Star Trek for the first time and am on s6 of TNG, but these opinions surprise me. I've been under the impression that the series is many fans' favorite.

I'm not discouraged, though, since I highly enjoyed the first two seasons of TNG, subsequently finding out that they're generally thought weak.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow. I've not seen it yet as I'm making my way through Star Trek for the first time and am on s6 of TNG, but these opinions surprise me. I've been under the impression that the series is many fans' favorite.

I'm not discouraged, though, since I highly enjoyed the first two seasons of TNG, subsequently finding out that they're generally thought weak.
How much you like TOS is directly related to how much you like the first two seasons of TNG. I think it's possible to enjoy S1 and S2 of TNG for what they are, but it's just weird seeing 70s scifi conventions in the late 80s.

Like, the race politics is so old fashioned. lol

destrudo

I've been on a Star Trek marathon but the show isn't hooking me the way it did when I was younger. I think modern TV has spoiled me because I can't go back to procedural type shows anymore (which is probably why I absolutely loath Voyager).

I would really love to see a new series which has an ongoing narrative rather than mystery of the week stories. They kind of did that with Enterprise and with DS9 (which I really appreciated) but I would love a series with a focus on larger arcs and character development.

maharg

idspispopd
I've been on a Star Trek marathon but the show isn't hooking me the way it did when I was younger. I think modern TV has spoiled me because I can't go back to procedural type shows anymore (which is probably why I absolutely loath Voyager).

I would really love to see a new series which has an ongoing narrative rather than mystery of the week stories. They kind of did that with Enterprise and with DS9 (which I really appreciated) but I would love a series with a focus on larger arcs and character development.

Have you watched B5?

How much you like TOS is directly related to how much you like the first two seasons of TNG. I think it's possible to enjoy S1 and S2 of TNG for what they are, but it's just weird seeing 70s scifi conventions in the late 80s.

Like, the race politics is so old fashioned. lol

That's just the first season, season 2 already has some of the very best ST episodes ever made. Like Q Who and The Measure of a Man.

maharg

idspispopd
That's just the first season, season 2 already has some of the very best ST episodes ever made. Like Q Who and The Measure of a Man.

I think both of those are actually pretty TOS-y. They're just like the best and most enduring qualities of TOS rather than the parts that don't hold up.

In particular, Measure of a Man is really reminiscent of a couple of courtroom drama episodes of TOS (The Menagerie and Court Martial). And Q's early episodes are like The Squire of Gothos on steroids.

I think both of those are actually pretty TOS-y. They're just like the best and most enduring qualities of TOS rather than the parts that don't hold up.

In particular, Measure of a Man is really reminiscent of a couple of courtroom drama episodes of TOS (The Menagerie and Court Martial). And Q's early episodes are like The Squire of Gothos on steroids.

I don't think Q Who counts as an early Q episode like Encounter at Farpoint and Hide and Q. The character is already well developed at that point, unlike in those earlier episodes, where comparison to various TOS god characters is valid...

And we have seen courtroom dramas everywhere, I don't think the idea comes from TOS. And there were also courtroom episodes later in TNG...

edit:
yeah, there are some episodes in TNG S2 that are lifted from ST: Phase 2, and those are more TOS like than the rest, but they are often pretty good nevertheless.

Rinoa

Hmm so I watched the TNG Episode "Remember Me"

(I don't want to ruin the fun for anyone that hasn't seen it yet, that's why I hid some things :p)

I loved that episode, she was great at conveying all the emotions. She went from disbelief, to joking about it to cope, to biting back at the computer, and figuring her own way out.

Also like how they brought back the Traveller, the whole arc with him was interesting, even if Mary Sue on the part of Wesley.

B.K.

I should buy the TNG Blu-Rays as they come out. I haven't watched the series since it ended, so I don't remember most of the episodes. It's hard to believe it's been almost 20 years since it ended.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Good looking month for SFDebris. The Angel One review should be hilarious.

1-Nov • Cathexis

3-Nov • Chain of Command 1

7-Nov • Chain of Command 2

10-Nov • Chain of Command 3

13-Nov • Bastille Day (BSG)

15-Nov • Faces

17-Nov • Angel One

20-Nov • The Matrix (Movie)

22-Nov • Tattoo

24-Nov • Evolution

27-Nov • Game of Thrones: Winter is Coming (Doctor Who, I think)

29-Nov • Cold Fire

oracrest

So, I somewhat randomly did a google image search of Worf's son Alexander, and came across more recent pictures of the actor who played him. :O

20091207__brianbonsall_300.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, I somewhat randomly did a google image search of Worf's son Alexander, and came across more recent pictures of the actor who played him. :O

20091207__brianbonsall_300.jpg

Yeah, there was a local story about him when he was arrested here in Colorado. That's the actor who played him on TNG (sans his first appearance). He was also on Family Ties and is one of the sad poster child "child actors". They got an older actor to play him on DS9.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
tdy-121108-proposal-1.grid-8x2.jpg

Talk about an out-of-this-world proposal!

An avid Star Trek fan popped the question during a "Star Trek: The Next Generation" cast photo op on Oct. 28 at the Austin Wizard World Con, and Wil Wheaton — who played Wesley Crusher on the '90s sci-fi show — was seated next to the unsuspecting bride-to-be.
Video: ‘I do’ cam catches intimate wedding moments (on this page)

The proposal pic popped up on Reddit, a popular online sharing site, and the sci-fi star — who has also had guest appearances on "The Big Bang Theory" — detailed the experience in the comments section.

"About 30 minutes or so into this particular session, these two people came in. The girl went to stand between Patrick [Stewart] and [Jonathan] Frakes, and the guy directed her to stand in the front, instead," Wheaton recounts. "All of us tried to figure out what was going on ... and the guy said, 'I really love Star Trek, but I love [her name] even more.' He got down on one knee, and proposed to her."

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Good looking month for SFDebris. The Angel One review should be hilarious.

Correction: it WILL be hilarious.

His Chain of Command review has been great so far. Also, he's reviewing The Matrix? This should be interesting.

SF Debris site is pretty cool. Thanks guys. Watched the first 2 parts of the CoC commentary. Dude makes good points and is pretty funny. Never did like CoC part 1...part 2 is great though.

So why are there no seat belts atleast shuttles-like ships? Because it seems like they crash onto a planet every now and then and people get injured or die just because they had no seat belt to protect them.
Same goes to really important crew members on ships during battles. Something explodes, they fly around and are dead or get injured because they hit sth. That's totally unnecessary, as we discovered in the 20th century...

(I'm partly joking and being partly serious, because it's striking how many advantages seat belts would have, while they have no disadvantages at all)

Jackpot

Banned
So why are there no seat belts atleast shuttles-like ships? Because it seems like they crash onto a planet every now and then and people get injured or die just because they had no seat belt to protect them.
Same goes to really important crew members on ships during battles. Something explodes, they fly around and are dead or get injured because they hit sth. That's totally unnecessary, as we discovered in the 20th century...

(I'm partly joking and being partly serious, because it's striking how many advantages seat belts would have, while they have no disadvantages at all)

In-universe answer is inertial dampeners with triple redundancy.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

There's no logical reason for it. The shows' creators forgot about it until Star Trek: Nemesis, and then deleted the scene that showed them introducing seat belts.

There's no logical reason for it. The shows' creators forgot about it until Star Trek: Nemesis, and then deleted the scene that showed them introducing seat belts.

I don't think they forgot about it as much as didn't care about it. And seatbelts on a spaceship actually first appeared in First Contact. Riker, Geordi, and Cochrane were wearing them in the Phoenix.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't think they forgot about it as much as didn't care about it. And seatbelts on a spaceship actually first appeared in First Contact. Riker, Geordi, and Cochrane were wearing them in the Phoenix.

I always thought it was funny that there were no crash fields in TNG era trek and onwards.

The technology was heavy into forcefields, with emergency fields sealing every hull breach and securing any ship corridor from intruders. So why no cabin-filling force field in shuttles and such to catch everyone in mid-air? Same concept as airbags.

I always thought it was funny that there were no crash fields in TNG era trek and onwards.

The technology was heavy into forcefields, with emergency fields sealing every hull breach and securing any ship corridor from intruders. So why no cabin-filling force field in shuttles and such to catch everyone in mid-air? Same concept as airbags.

There probably would be but for obvious reasons they can't have them as it would raise production costs to have to show it during every action scene. That and it would ruin potential excitement during those scenes.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I finished season 1 of DS9 yesterday and the season was mostly average, but 'Duet' was a highlight and dare I say one of the best episodes in Star Trek I've seen.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I finished season 1 of DS9 yesterday and the season was mostly average, but 'Duet' was a highlight and dare I say one of the best episodes in Star Trek I've seen.

Duet is certainly one of the finest episodes of DS9 and is up there with the finest of Trek. Harris Yulin was amazing as Maritza.

DeadTrees

They showed up in the TNG episode "Power Play", but only because the plot demanded an irreparable shuttle crash that didn't harm its passengers.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

The Phoenix wasn't a Starfleet ship, though.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think most of the Treks are worthwhile to go through, whoever was asking about how good DS9 really is.

You can probably skip all the bad episodes of Voyager... but you wouldnt know which ones were bad unless you saw them all.

I'm currently in Season 2 of Enterprise. Not bad so far, I definitely like it more than Voyager. Its somewhere between Voyager and DS9 for me right now. Guessing it'll get worse though.

the whole temporal cold war thing is sort of asinine because you're not "really" watching the actual history of the first Enterprise. You're watching what happens in this off-shoot universe that happens because of the temporal cold war. so, Enterprise is probably not even in the same universe as TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager.

I'd probably just think in my head that Enterprise is the same universe as the new movie Star Trek since the timeline is all fucked up anyway.

Top Bottom