• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I really enjoyed watching SFDebris' review of the last episode of S1, "Learning Curve".

One of the former Maquis fixes something because it's broken. And Tuvok/Janeway's main concern is not that a ridiculously impractical Voyager design flaw is breaking down, threatening the safety of the ship and the lives of everyone on board, but that somebody actually did something constructive without being told to.

So Janeway decides not to try and understand differing viewpoints or meet unwilling slave labor halfway, but to "help" these unfortunate souls reach 100% Federation-approval. And not by giving them Starfleet training and education, oh no, but by having Tuvok send them on grueling death marches with the artificial gravity turned up to eleven. They do this until the former Maquis have learned the valuable lesson of "Shut the fuck up and don't think, just do exactly what you're told."

And seven years later, the show casually mentions that the blue guy's responsibility on the ship for the last seven years has been scrubbing plasma conduits, a job so reviled that humans elsewhere dumped it on holograms, and were given shit for doing something so immoral.
Sounds like they joined the USMC.

Won

I seriously believe that season 3 of Enterprise did a better job with the "lone Starfleet ship" premise than the entire seven seasons of Voyager. They run into problems unique to that area of space and choose how to deal or not deal with them. They search for information about what they need to find in one episode, which leads directly to something they find one or two episodes down the line, which gets them closer, where they search for more information, etc. Most importantly, when their ass gets kicked, it STAYS kicked. They got a big damned hole blown in the hull, and they didn't have any way to fix it so it STAYED un-fixed for something like 8 episodes, until they got back to Earth. Also, when people died they actually acted like it mattered to them for more than fifteen minutes.

To be fair, stuff like this is easier done if you know when such a story arc ends.

maharg

idspispopd
To be fair, stuff like this is easier done if you know when such a story arc ends.

A lot of the problems with voyager come down to that they kept setting themselves up to do things they could never really follow through on. And unlike the DS9 production team, they mostly never had the balls to do it anyways.

And when they did have the balls (Tuvix, my favourite whipping horse of Voyager), it just demonstrated why it's a good thing they mostly didn't. Generally when they went off the reservation it resulted in stuff that was just plain offensive.

Rinoa

H07fl.gif

I loved this episode the first time, but on the subsequent watches it is kinda dull.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
well, i watched the last episode of Enterprise this past weekend, and i've officially "finished" watching Star Trek. I'm going to cap it off with watching the movies again -- i watched them BEFORE i watched all the tv stuff which was a bad idea since i didn't understand most of the political standings and stuff like that at the time. i should be more heavily invested in the background information this go-around.

it took me about a year and a half. don't know how im going to get by without watching star trek every other day D:

Zzoram

well, i watched the last episode of Enterprise this past weekend, and i've officially "finished" watching Star Trek. I'm going to cap it off with watching the movies again -- i watched them BEFORE i watched all the tv stuff which was a bad idea since i didn't understand most of the political standings and stuff like that at the time. i should be more heavily invested in the background information this go-around.

it took me about a year and a half. don't know how im going to get by without watching star trek every other day D:

Keep rewatching, but each time strike out the worst episodes from the rewatch until you're down to the best/essential episodes of each show.

My personal TNG best/essential list:

S1 - Encounter at Farpoint Part 1 & 2, Datalore, Coming of Age, The Neutral Zone
S2 - A Matter of Honor, The Measure of a Man, Q Who, Peak Performance
S3 - Who Watches the Watchers, The Defector, Sins of the Father, Sarek, The Best of Both Worlds Part 1
S4 - The Best of Both Worlds Part 2, Family, Brothers, Reunion, Data's Day, The Wounded, First Contact, The Drumhead, The Mind's Eye, Redemption Part 1
S5 - Redemption Part 2, Ensign Ro, Silicon Avatar, Disaster, Unification Part 1 & 2, New Ground, Hero Worship, The Masterpiece Society, Ethics, Cause and Effect, I, Borg, The Next Phase, The Inner Light, Time's Arrow Part 1
S6 - Time's Arrow Part 2, Relics, The Quality of Life, The Chain of Command Part 1 & 2, Tapestry, Birthright Part 1 & 2, The Chase, Rightful Heir, Descent Part 1
S7 - Descent Part 2, Gambit Part 1 & 2, The Pegasus, Thine Own Self, Firstborn, Preemptive Strike, All Good Things Part 1 & 2

antonz

Nothing gets explained. Nothing of consequence happens. Its a total waste of resources and fails in every conceivable sense as a story.

They could have gone with an almost Squire of Gothos type scenario. Lone survivor gets saved by a "Q" and given a life that the book details even if its nothing like the life he had.

Its weird how Data made it to the rank of Lieutenant Commander and still doesn't know anything about human idioms or slang. He'd been in Starfleet like 17 years before he joined the Enterprise? Was he serving in isolation the whole time?

The fish out of water stories were kind of Data's thing so I realize why he was the way he was in the show.

Tobor

Why is that Data has to read info off the computer screens like a shmuck? He should just jack in, or connect wirelessly. He doesn't even have wifi or Bluetooth installed!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So something I have picked up for over 10 year are the Halmark Christmas ornaments(ships only, not the scene ones). I was very disapointed that this years 25 anniversary TNG reissue of the Enterprise D doesn't light up at all, and is permanently affixed to it's stand, making it kind of pointless to put on a tree. I know they changed a few years ago from lights that plug into light strings, to just battery powered when you hit a button, but no lights at all was a let down. This might be the last one I get if next year is the same.

Walshicus

Funny how they never return to the Dyson Sphere in the show. I'm perpetually hoping that Cryptic do a sequel mission series on it in Star Trek Online, just like they did with the Dominion fleet that was "lost in the wormhole"
or rather sent thirty years in the future

It would take decades to give the sphere a proper examination(though there was a not-so-good TNG book on it imaginatively named "dyson sphere").
Enterprise did its job as an exploratory ship, that thing needs a dedicated science ship.

and someone on the outside to open the door

Rinoa

Funny how they never return to the Dyson Sphere in the show. I'm perpetually hoping that Cryptic do a sequel mission series on it in Star Trek Online, just like they did with the Dominion fleet that was "lost in the wormhole"
or rather sent thirty years in the future

As a kid I always wondered about that goddamn sphere and hoped they'd get back to it and explain it, as it's really not... explainable the more I read.

Zzoram

Watching SFDebris reviews of episodes makes it more glaringly obvious how Voyager is the worst Star Trek series by far.

Enterprise at least has Season 4 to redeem it.

Its weird how Data made it to the rank of Lieutenant Commander and still doesn't know anything about human idioms or slang. He'd been in Starfleet like 17 years before he joined the Enterprise? Was he serving in isolation the whole time?

The fish out of water stories were kind of Data's thing so I realize why he was the way he was in the show.

Isn't the Enterprise the first place where they treat Data as something more than just a tool(not in the Harry Kim sense, but the Swiss Army sense)?

Isn't the Enterprise the first place where they treat Data as something more than just a tool(not in the Harry Kim sense, but the Swiss Army sense)?

Nobody treated him like a tool except Pulaski that I can remember. I dont think everyone in Starfleet are assholes and Enterprise is full of exceptionally tolerant people.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Nobody treated him like a tool except Pulaski that I can remember. I dont think everyone in Starfleet are assholes and Enterprise is full of exceptionally tolerant people.

Given he had no real knowledge of human relationships or social interactions before being assigned to the Enterprise, I don't think it's out of the question to think he was pretty much ignored in all his previous assignments.

Given he had no real knowledge of human relationships or social interactions before being assigned to the Enterprise, I don't think it's out of the question to think he was pretty much ignored in all his previous assignments.

I dont think he would have been promoted to a senior rank if that attitude was so prevalent.

Wasn't there a decent amount of support for the argument that Data is the property of Starfleet during The Measure of a Man?

I think it was just that other Captain that had a previous falling out with Picard that supported the idea.

But then you could look at it that the orders were secured for Data to be dismantled which would have come from the top.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've got faith. Faith of the heart.
That road I took, getting from here to there, sure was a long one.

I think it was just that other Captain that had a previous falling out with Picard that supported the idea.

But then you could look at it that the orders were secured for Data to be dismantled which would have come from the top.

It comes up again during the episode with the Klingon civil war where Worf resigns and Data is given command of a ship. His XO is a dick about him being an android and not a real sentient being.

That road I took, getting from here to there, sure was a long one.

It comes up again during the episode with the Klingon civil war where Worf resigns and Data is given command of a ship. His XO is a dick about him being an android and not a real sentient being.

Oh yeah I'd forgotten about that one. Put them in their place.

Not sure if its a mistake but in All Good Things Data has Lt Jr Grade pips while the Enterprise is in spacedock. He goes from junior lieutenant to lieutenant commander in a matter of days

I hope DS9 and VOY both get HD remasterings.

Having it all on BluRay would be nice. Im not buying TNG or TOS till i can own DS9 and VOY aswell

I know many dislike Voyager and I certainly understand where this comes from even though I like the show but to come to the point, A Year of Hell just re-runs on TV as I write this and I wondered if I remember a thing correctly. The reason why nobody remembers the Krenim from the episode where Kes was time "flowing" is that with Kes back in temporal unity everyone forgot about the extended events that happened right?

Also I just realized the "Time-Federation" actually just doesn't do anything while the Krenim just alter the time-line... o.o

Zzoram

The Kes episode, they just made up "year of hell" and "Krenim". Later on they decided to make real episodes based on that. At one point they considered actually doing a full season of it but realized it would be too much to reset button a whole season, even for Voyager, so they just made a 2-parter.

Neelix is the worst character to ever be in Star Trek. Even Wesley Crusher isn't this bad.

Neelix is obnoxiously self-obsessed, butts into everything, pretends to be an expert at everything meanwhile failing in the worst ways possible at all those things, and has an annoying voice. Worst of all, Voyager's crew never seems to notice and gives him important jobs for no reason. The way he treated Kes was horrible and there was no way anyone bought that she liked him. He had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Top Bottom