• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Zzoram

In keeping with his tradition of reviewing the worst of the worst on Christmas SFdebris will be reviewing Profit and Lace.

How long has SFdebris been doing these Trek reviews? Is he going to get around to finishing all the episodes for all the Trek series? There are a lot of episodes he hasn't done that are good.

brian577

Banned
How long has SFdebris been doing these Trek reviews? Is he going to get around to finishing all the episodes for all the Trek series? There are a lot of episodes he hasn't done that are good.

He came up with the name Future Guy when Enterprise was still on the air so he's been at it for at least over a decade. Albeit back then he was doing reviews text form. No idea how long he's been doing videos.

Aw yeah.

Wrath of khan is on tv here.

Missed the first 45 minutes but the new trailer had me wanting to rewatch it.

Heck I even watched space seed last night so how is that for coincidence?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
SFDebris "Profit and Lace" review is 4 parts @_@.

This is going to be fun.

edit: Oh man, only 3 minutes in and it's hilarious.

Axiom

I always wondered why SFDebris took down a bunch of his reviews only to re-review them.

Also got the two seasons of Next Gen on Blu-Ray for Christmas. Really looking forward to seeing how damn good it looks.

NeOak

My brother gave me the TNG S1 BD set for Christmas. Crossing fingers that it doesn't have the botched audio.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
renewed my netflix sub and immediately fired up the first ep of season 2 of DS9.

I needed star trek in my veins.

Zzoram

I always wondered why SFDebris took down a bunch of his reviews only to re-review them.

Also got the two seasons of Next Gen on Blu-Ray for Christmas. Really looking forward to seeing how damn good it looks.

I think he re-reviewed some episodes when he got the Blu-ray updates of them (for TOS anyways).

GF bought me the Entire movie set (without ST11) on blu ray for xmas.

Which has pretty much swayed my hand to get the rest of the series on Blu Ray.

Ah well. Lets hope we do eventually get DS9 ENT and VOY

Cheerilee

Random thought on Star Trek 6.

At the end of the movie, Kirk plots their course as "Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning." This is famously the direction one must follow to enter Neverland from Peter Pan. So Kirk intends to live and play forever, never aging? Okay, I guess.

But then I realized that they're not flying there with pixie dust, they're sailing a ship. After telling Starfleet to go to hell. They're pirates! Captain Kirk is going over there to play Captain Hook!

GF bought me the Entire movie set (without ST11) on blu ray for xmas.

Which has pretty much swayed my hand to get the rest of the series on Blu Ray.

Ah well. Lets hope we do eventually get DS9 ENT and VOY
Seems like ENT will be happening; they were even polling people on Facebook about potential cover designs a few months back.

At the end of the movie, Kirk plots their course as "Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning." This is famously the direction one must follow to enter Neverland from Peter Pan. So Kirk intends to live and play forever, never aging? Okay, I guess.

But then I realized that they're not flying there with pixie dust, they're sailing a ship. After telling Starfleet to go to hell. They're pirates! Captain Kirk is going over there to play Captain Hook!

Kirk had a sort of habit of telling Starfleet to go to hell. After a while, they learned to give him some leeway on his eccentricities, because he usually comes back with the ship mostly intact.

Usually.

Zzoram

Forever young.

In the Nexus :s

Zzoram

In Enterprise S2, Shockwave Part 1, they say only Hoshi is small enough to fit into some EPS junction. When they show her moving through it, it clearly looks big enough for anyone who isn't obese to get through.

Kinda annoying that they didn't try to make the junction look tighter lol.

Cheerilee

In Enterprise S2, Shockwave Part 1, they say only Hoshi is small enough to fit into some EPS junction. When they show her moving through it, it clearly looks big enough for anyone who isn't obese to get through.

Kinda annoying that they didn't try to make the junction look tighter lol.

It was tight enough to get Hoshi topless. That's apparently all it needed to be.

It was tight enough to get Hoshi topless. That's apparently all it needed to be.

Did they use the decon gel so she'd slip in more easily?

edit, more interesting post possibly:

How cool would it be if after STID they introduced a Nextgen TV reboot of sorts (updated to be more cool and modern and edgy but with a similar sprit to the best of TNG) and eventually worked the show so that it built up to some sort of crossover with the new Films?

The Generations we always wanted.

edit: I should note that I just want Trek back on TV so we can have stories that are a little less super-actiony and a little more thoughtful.

evilwart

I think a TOS-era series not set on the Enterprise would be more likely than a TNG reboot at this point. Sort of expanding the nuTrek universe to TV without using Kirk and the Enterprise.

I think a TOS-era series not set on the Enterprise would be more likely than a TNG reboot at this point. Sort of expanding the nuTrek universe to TV without using Kirk and the Enterprise.

Any reboot is essentially going to be TNG rebooted. It may have TOS characters/references but it will be updated in a way that isn't as hokey. Enterprise really streamlined a lot of the SFX and technology in ways that really made TOS irrelevant.

Zzoram

Enterprise S2 finale, where Duras keeps chasing Archer and attacking him, why does Starfleet not take him seriously? They just chase him off the first time, Enterprise just runs away the second time, and finally destroys them the third time.

They were going on an extended mission alone in hostile territory, letting themselves get beat up repeatedly was incredibly stupid. They should've destroyed Duras the first time he attacked them after the refit with Photon Torpedoes. Since they didn't when they had the chance, they ended up taking a lot more damage before they got in and wasted valuable repair resources they would need for their mission.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Duras was basically entirely pointless, and was just a plot device to allow there to be action beats in the story, because you can't have a season finale without action beats in the story.

I'm pretty sure he's never even mentioned again. Probably the most useless Klingon character to ever appear in more than one episode.

Honestly it turned out not to matter, as their repair resource situation became utterly fucked regardless once they started running into Expanse weirdness.

Zzoram

Duras was basically entirely pointless, and was just a plot device to allow there to be action beats in the story, because you can't have a season finale without action beats in the story.

I'm pretty sure he's never even mentioned again. Probably the most useless Klingon character to ever appear in more than one episode.

Honestly it turned out not to matter, as their repair resource situation became utterly fucked regardless once they started running into Expanse weirdness.

That may be so, but if you're on a critical mission that could decide the survival of your home world, you'd think that you wouldn't be very tolerant of anyone attacking you during your mission.

I thought it was odd Amazon put one of the SFX screw ups as one of their product images

7FEEI.jpg

Zzoram

Enterprise is better than I remembered.

Much better than Voyager.

At least it is if you only watch the Suliban episodes from S1 and S2 and the Romulan mine episode before going into the Xindi arc.

Htown

At least it is if you only watch the Suliban episodes from S1 and S2 and the Romulan mine episode before going into the Xindi arc.

I feel like you skipped a couple episodes you shoulda watched. Some of the Andorian/Vulcan stuff is decent background for season 4.

Zzoram

I feel like you skipped a couple episodes you shoulda watched. Some of the Andorian/Vulcan stuff is decent background for season 4.

I've seen that too, I forgot to mention because I was tired when I typed that.

Watch all Suliban/Vulcan/Andorian/Romulan/Xindi/Season 4 episodes and Enterprise is a pretty solid show.

It also feels much more like a modern show than older Trek. The action is faster paced and more aggressive.

Htown

Yeah, it's mostly the random-bullshit-of-the-week episodes where Enterprise runs into trouble. Which is why it's no accident that the last two seasons are the best ones.

DieH@rd

Banned

Enterprise S3 is glorious... well except the finale.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Necessary Evil so far has been the highlight of s2. I like how the episode gave more insight into how Quark, Kira and Odo started knowing each other. The ending was great, too. Very, very good episode.

So I'm watching Star Trek IV The Undiscovered Country for the first time.

Watching the BluRay since the GF got me the collection for Xmas.

Initial Impressions.

Chang is a great villian He has the look and vibe of a villian.
The Enterprise looks fantastic
BluRay looks immaculate

Very impressed with everything. I went in expecting very little but so far iv been impressed.

Also I seen sisko's dad and worf

antonz

Initial Impressions.

BluRay looks immaculate

Very impressed with everything. I went in expecting very little but so far iv been impressed.

Yeah Michael Dorn is playing Worfs grandfather in the movie. Siskos dad actor is just coincidence casting as they aren't related. Undiscovered Country was a pretty good send off for the TOS crew.

Initial Impressions.

BluRay looks immaculate

Tuvok was in generations (no not really but it is Tim Russ who apparently auditioned for every role in hollywood)

eSEIB.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Tuvok was in generations (no not really but it is Tim Russ who apparently auditioned for every role in hollywood)

eSEIB.jpg

Tim Russ was in a few Star Trek episodes before Tuvok. He was in the TNG Episode Star Trek Mine, and a DS9 episode where he played a Klingon. He was apparently on the short list of actors for Geordi when TNG was being cast, he's a Trek fanboy. Given how soon Voyager was airing after TNG, I've always been surprised they didn't slap Vulcan Ears onto him in Generations.

Htown

I love ST6, but I keep being bummed that Valeris was not actually Saavik. The script clearly was made for Saavik, and then they did a find-replace for Valeris. Almost every line Valeris has in that movie would make more sense as a callback to dialogue spoken by Saavik in Wrath of Khan, her motivations would make more sense due to what happened right in front of her in Search for Spock, and it just would have made for a more effective "turn".

maharg

idspispopd
I love ST6, but I keep being bummed that Valeris was not actually Saavik. The script clearly was made for Saavik, and then they did a find-replace for Valeris. Almost every line Valeris has in that movie would make more sense as a callback to dialogue spoken by Saavik in Wrath of Khan, her motivations would make more sense due to what happened right in front of her in Search for Spock, and it just would have made for a more effective "turn".

Two cast changes for the character would have been too much, though. Especially since the second woman who played her was not even half as good in the role as Kirstie Alley.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
So I just finished reading David Mack's latest trilogy (Cold Equations) and it started out great, with it focusing around soong and androids and the breen and gorn. But the third book just went a little off the fucking rails. I like Mack, I think he knows how to toe the line between ridiculous and entertaining, but this one was a bit much. I did appreciate his attempt to redeem Wesley somewhat.

Top Bottom