• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Cheerilee

Archer was confused and pissed off even before he knew Porthos was sick though.

I meant, dog owners (some dog owners, not all dog owners) are famous for not controlling their dogs and letting their dogs do whatever they want, and getting upset when people complain about it. They piss all over stuff. Dogs going to the bathroom on neighbors' lawns is a very stereotypical source of conflict.

I know I personally had a rather negative incident with a dog owner. My brother had borrowed my truck and was cleaning out some of the stuff he left in it, and a pitbull owner (the best kind of of dog owner) was "walking" his dog down the block. My brother picked up his stuff and turned around to see a pit bull sniffing his legs. And the owner was half a block away, not even looking. My brother yelled to the owner and told him to keep his dog on a leash, and the owner acted like it's not his responsibility what natural animals do. But he did put the dog on a leash that was in his pocket. And then on-and-off for the next couple of months, somebody was occasionally throwing dog shit at my truck when nobody was looking.

I can dismiss all of Archer's crazy in that episode with "Oh right, he's a dog owner."

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I meant, dog owners (some dog owners, not all dog owners) are famous for not controlling their dogs and letting their dogs do whatever they want, and getting upset when people complain about it. They piss all over stuff. Dogs going to the bathroom on neighbors' lawns is a very stereotypical source of conflict.

I know I personally had a rather negative incident with a dog owner. My brother had borrowed my truck and was cleaning out some of the stuff he left in it, and a pitbull owner (the best kind of of dog owner) was "walking" his dog down the block. My brother picked up his stuff and turned around to see a pit bull sniffing his legs. And the owner was half a block away, not even looking. My brother yelled to the owner and told him to keep his dog on a leash, and the owner acted like it's not his responsibility what natural animals do. But he did put the dog on a leash that was in his pocket. And then on-and-off for the next couple of months, somebody was occasionally throwing dog shit at my truck when nobody was looking.

I can dismiss all of Archer's crazy in that episode with "Oh right, he's a dog owner."

Still, this was a race the crew had encountered before, and knew was very easily offended. There was no reason to bring the dog in the first place.

benjipwns

Banned
It was also poorly paced, with people just running from one place to another. It would have been a good two parter insted if done correctly..
Could combine it with Gambit which had some similar aspects.

Speaking of which, for Riker being so insistent on the captain not going down on away missions he sure runs down onto a planet right away in that one. Hopefully after that and what happened a few months earlier, when they practically abandoned the ship in Borg space to go wander around a planet looking for Data, Starfleet had some refresher courses for the command of the Enterprise.

Ohwiseone

Just watched the first episode of DS9

I am on board. I really wish I would of watched this one, over voyager when I grew up. I already love it way more.

Tuvix was one of the best episodes. GAF consensus and I have totally different views on it though.

It's the only episode of Voyager that I can easily pick out of a lineup as on that I consider solidly good. A lot of people hate it because it cements Janeway as a kind of terrible person from one point of view, but that's actually along the lines of why I like it so much. Other episodes are good, but they sort of just run full tilt out of my brain once they realize how close they are to the horror of all the other episodes.

Thoughts on TNG: The Chase?

I loved it because the idea seemed pretty great at the time. The execution almost certainly didn't do it justice, and it should have been

Hm. Looks like Ron Moore was partly behind this one. Probably helps to explain why I like it.

One pointless but amusing tidbit is that the progenitor is the same actress as the main Founder in DS9.

Rewatching TNG, Picard is an exceptional diplomat, far moreso than any other captain.

He forgot all his skills after S7. There must have been a time warp swapping Kirk and Picard's personalities -- transiting to the films, one turned from a two-fisted, shoot-before-asking-questions cowboy into a methodical thinker, the other from a great diplomatic philosopher into Rambo.

Star Trek as The Love Boat
http://youtu.be/SWyxZR69CI0

The TNG / Love Boat thing was rampant in the '90s, as it was a painfully obvious crossover. I'm pretty sure they had a "Love Boat: The Next Generation" on Saturday Night Live and in either Mad or Cracked magazine.

edit: Ah, here it is! I forgot that it actually had Patrick Stewart in it.

edit: Aw, man, Phil Hartman. :( ("
TO A KLINGON WARRIOR, BEHEADINGS ARE ROMANTIC
", heh)

There have been a lot of franchises both before and after that have tried to establish an advanced "precursor" that was wiped out eons ago with the current civilizations piecing together the mystery of their existence.

Of course when I try to think of a bunch of them I draw a blank but here are the obvious ones:

Stargate
Halo
Alien/Prometheus (recently)
Babylon 5
Ass Creed

Here's my favourite subversion of this trope:

In the '80s computer game "Starflight", there was an ongoing mystery of the cities of the "Ancients", found on nearly every planet in the galaxy where had been left massive deposits of high energy crystals that enabled faster than light travel. The game itself is a very Star Trek style tale where you travel from planet to planet, scanning for life-bearing worlds to colonise, finding rare elements to keep your ship going, training your crew to handle communication (and occasional combat) with alien races and various other disciplines (the game is an RPG in the broadest sense).

The main plotline involves a weird "crystal planet" made entirely of that FTL material which is slowly sweeping through this arm of the galaxy, slowly causing all suns to go nova, wiping out all life in its wake. You build up your experience and slowly find powerful technological relics scattered across a hundred star systems and eventually work out how to destroy this planet and save the galaxy. Then you learn the horrible truth.

The ancients are a race of crystalline beings who live on an incredibly slow time scale. They didn't disappear eons ago -- we've been murdering them all this time to enable the spread of our own empires. That crystal planet was their final gambit and only remaining option to save their massacred race, and you just condoned genocide.

Oh, an aside: Farscape had a backstory not unlike what you're describing -- turns out that the Sebaceans and Humans were seeded from the same source countless millennia ago.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Oh, an aside: Farscape had a backstory not unlike what you're describing -- turns out that the Sebaceans and Humans were seeded from the same source countless millennia ago.

I always liked Farscape's use of that trope as it doesn't invoke it in a way that violates known fossil history and such on Earth. Specifically
the ancient peacemakers traveled to Earth and sampled human DNA, in order to create a race of peacekeepers who were from so far away they wouldn't be recognized and thus not trigger existing racial biases. Then the peacemakers vanished, leaving the originally noble human warriors to slowly become corrupted and turn into space nazis.

In a grand sense, the character arc of Farscape for Aeryn Sun is starting out as a space nazi, slowly learning the full range of human emotions, and eventually discovering what her people actually were and should be. It's fitting that Aeryn is the one who personally hears the true story from the dying Peacemaker in the mini-series finale to the show.

Zzoram

Never watched DS9, i have two weeks before I start school again, and I need something to watch.

Help-me Gaf, let me know what is the best and worst of that season.

Just watched the first episode of DS9

I am on board. I really wish I would of watched this one, over voyager when I grew up. I already love it way more.

DS9 is excellent.

S1 key episodes:
===
Emissary Part 1&2
Past Prologue
Vortex
Battle Lines
Duet
In The Hands of the Prophets

S2 key episodes:
===
The Homecoming
The Circle
The Siege
Cardassians
Rules of Acquisition
Whispers
Profit and Loss
The Maquis Part 1&2
The Wire
The Jem'Hadar

S3 onwards you'll want to watch just about everything.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I was at a con once, and Michael Dorn did an impression of Stewart, bragging about how much more money he was getting for the films.

Zzoram

Damn, the Xindi arc is better than I remembered, and I remembered it being good.

The actor who plays Damar on DS9 shows up in an Enterprise S3 episode in the Xindi arc. It's a good episode and brings the season full circle.

Damn, the Xindi arc is better than I remembered, and I remembered it being good.

The actor who plays Damar on DS9 shows up in an Enterprise S3 episode in the Xindi arc. It's a good episode.

One of the best characters in all of Trek. Actually, you could make a very good argument that he is the best.

antonz

It's the only episode of Voyager that I can easily pick out of a lineup as on that I consider solidly good. A lot of people hate it because it cements Janeway as a kind of terrible person from one point of view, but that's actually along the lines of why I like it so much. Other episodes are good, but they sort of just run full tilt out of my brain once they realize how close they are to the horror of all the other episodes.

I loved it because the idea seemed pretty great at the time. The execution almost certainly didn't do it justice, and it should have been

Hm. Looks like Ron Moore was partly behind this one. Probably helps to explain why I like it.

One pointless but amusing tidbit is that the progenitor is the same actress as the main Founder in DS9.

He forgot all his skills after S7. There must have been a time warp swapping Kirk and Picard's personalities -- transiting to the films, one turned from a two-fisted, shoot-before-asking-questions cowboy into a methodical thinker, the other from a great diplomatic philosopher into Rambo.

The TNG / Love Boat thing was rampant in the '90s, as it was a painfully obvious crossover. I'm pretty sure they had a "Love Boat: The Next Generation" on Saturday Night Live and in either Mad or Cracked magazine.

edit: Ah, here it is! I forgot that it actually had Patrick Stewart in it.

edit: Aw, man, Phil Hartman. :( ("
TO A KLINGON WARRIOR, BEHEADINGS ARE ROMANTIC
", heh)

Kirk and Archer are some of the better character developments over the time of their characters as far as consistency. Kirk starts off brash and somewhat reckless and evolves to that much more methodical thinker who realizes you cant always grab life by the balls.

Archer starts off super naïve and turns with him developing a much more realistic viewpoint of the galaxy at large. He event points it out in the episode Home when he talks about how he fought with the designer against the NX-01 having any weapons at all and realizing he needed even more than what it came with not less.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It was also poorly paced, with people just running from one place to another. It would have been a good two parter insted if done correctly..
It's funny, when I revisited the series a few years ago, I was convinced that the episode was a two parter. Go figure. lol

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
One of the best characters in all of Trek. Actually, you could make a very good argument that he is the best.

Damar, Dukat, Garak, "Duet"...it's really impressive what this show did with the Cardassians.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Damar, Dukat, Garak, "Duet"...it's really impressive what this show did with the Cardassians.

Well, they were made for DS9. Their TNG appearances were planed to tie into DS9's premiere. Just like TNG and DS9 helped set up the Maquis for Voyager (and sadly doing more interesting stuff with them than Voyager.)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The biggest shame is that Voyager and Enterprise never managed to come up with iconic villains the way the other series did. The Kazon sucked, the Krenim maybe could have been something if Year of Hell was more than a 2 episode thing, and Species 8472 never quite got there despite a pretty strong opening episode. The Suliban were doomed by the fact that nobody on the show knew what was actually going on with the Temporal Cold War, and the Xindi were kind of a Dominion-lite and only one of them was an actual character.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Well, they were made for DS9. Their TNG appearances were planed to tie into DS9's premiere. Just like TNG and DS9 helped set up the Maquis for Voyager (and sadly doing more interesting stuff with them than Voyager.)

Definitely. But they're especially successful when compared to other races created to be taken seriously (as bad guys or otherwise) like the Ferengi and Kazon.

antonz

The biggest shame is that Voyager and Enterprise never managed to come up with iconic villains the way the other series did. The Kazon sucked, the Krenim maybe could have been something if Year of Hell was more than a 2 episode thing, and Species 8472 never quite got there despite a pretty strong opening episode. The Suliban were doomed by the fact that nobody on the show knew what was actually going on with the Temporal Cold War, and the Xindi were kind of a Dominion-lite and only one of them was an actual character.

Enterprise could probably have done well with the romulans as the earth-romulan war was going to play a major part going forward in the show.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Some stuff about Star Trek just doesn't make sense. Like security and missing people. Shouldn't a future starship automatically report missing crew members to security and not rely on someone asking the computer if people are missing? And Data should totally be able to wirelessly communicate with the computer at lightning speed. Geordi's visor will be surpassed in tech by 2050, but replicators, transporters, and warp drive may not happen for thousands of years or ever.

Some stuff about Star Trek just doesn't make sense. Like security and missing people. Shouldn't a future starship automatically report missing crew members to security and not rely on someone asking the computer if people are missing? And Data should totally be able to wirelessly communicate with the computer at lightning speed. Geordi's visor will be surpassed in tech by 2050.

Sometimes the show has to bend its own internal logic to service the mystery. Like when Doctor Crusher's friend disappears in "Remember Me". She says "Your sensors wouldn't detect him if he were dead." and I'm wondering why the computer can't identify a dead body. All the sensors would do would be to identify biomass of approximate size and say "This could be a body. Its not moving."

Or when Picard disappears from the Enterprise in Q Who. Shouldn't every alarm on the ship go off if the Captain's com badge stops transmitting?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Sometimes the show has to bend its own internal logic to service the mystery. Like when Doctor Crusher's friend disappears in "Remember Me". She says "Your sensors wouldn't detect him if he were dead." and I'm wondering why the computer can't identify a dead body. All the sensors would do would be to identify biomass of approximate size and say "This could be a body. Its not moving."

Or when Picard disappears from the Enterprise in Q Who. Shouldn't every alarm on the ship go off if the Captain's com badge stops transmitting?

I imagine the healthcare of the future would dispatch medical professionals immediately when someone's vitals drop. But in Star Trek, someone has to find the person and hit the Acura logo and request assistance.

Or when the ship sensors in episodes are able to detect phaser discharges but for plot sakes, phasers will be fired in secret without anyone knowing on ship or ds9.

antonz

Some stuff about Star Trek just doesn't make sense. Like security and missing people. Shouldn't a future starship automatically report missing crew members to security and not rely on someone asking the computer if people are missing? And Data should totally be able to wirelessly communicate with the computer at lightning speed. Geordi's visor will be surpassed in tech by 2050, but replicators, transporters, and warp drive may not happen for thousands of years or ever.

Warp Drive as far as theoretically is getting closer and closer. They have figured out power issues and feel they could get it down to something the size of voyager 1. Its still has a long way to go and in all likelihood we will all be dead before it happens.

The problem with the warp drive on paper right now is the radiation it would cause creating the warp bubble would likely irradiate and destroy any planet we traveled too. The belief is the bubble would basically build up any particles of radiation etc in front of it as the ship travelled and as we slowed down the particles would be released thus pushing huge bursts of radiation forward.

I guess it could be solved with the early star trek idea that you didn't warp into home systems etc. but outside and impulse in though that quickly got abandoned for convenience sake.

Zzoram

Warp Drive as far as theoretically is getting closer and closer. They have figured out power issues and feel they could get it down to something the size of voyager 1. Its still has a long way to go and in all likelihood we will all be dead before it happens.

The problem with the warp drive on paper right now is the radiation it would cause creating the warp bubble would likely irradiate and destroy any planet we traveled too. The belief is the bubble would basically build up any particles of radiation etc in front of it as the ship travelled and as we slowed down the particles would be released thus pushing huge bursts of radiation forward.

I guess it could be solved with the early star trek idea that you didn't warp into home systems etc. but outside and impulse in though that quickly got abandoned for convenience sake.

They still do that, warp to the outer edge of a system and then use impulse to go in. When they did warp within a star system on DS9 that one time before the Dominion War officially started, it was considered a dangerous and rarely attempted move.

Zzoram

With the MACOs in Enterprise, it makes you wonder why every Starfleet flagship since then don't have an elite combat unit like the MACOs on board.

They are more effective at combat than any Starfleet officers we see in other Trek.

antonz

With the MACOs in Enterprise, it makes you wonder why every Starfleet flagship since then don't have an elite combat unit like the MACOs on board.

I think they generally just merged with Security and became impotent. Starfleet was a civilian organization at the time and MACO were pure military.

Zzoram

What Enterprise S3 and DS9 did so well that makes them great Trek IMO is show that humans of TNG can be so noble and moral when living in luxury but that humans of the Trek era can still be brutal and do immoral things when faced with adversity and high stakes.

My respect for Enterprise has gone up so much during this rewatch. It's definitely a great show.

TOS and TNG are about how humans can be better than we are now in the future.
DS9 and Enterprise are about how humans can be just as bad as we are now when you strip away comfort and luxury.

Both approaches are great and complimentary.

Voyager put TNG type people in an Enterprise S3 type scenario and then did nothing with it, making it the worst Trek. The Maquis crew merged into the Starfleet crew in about 3 episodes and then we never saw them present Maquis plans as alternatives to problems ever again. Janeway didn't have to do anything to earn Chakotay's respect and loyalty. Voyager never really suffered any serious damage that wasn't solved with a reset button. Voyager never tried to build their own Federation in the Delta Quadrant, nor did they become pirates raiding for supplies and technology to work their way home. Voyager could've been a great show because it had a great premise, but safe and boring writers wrecked it. Voyager even ruined the Borg by making them no longer dangerous since a crappy science vessel regularly beats them.

antonz

What Enterprise S3 and DS9 did so well that makes them great Trek IMO is show that humans of TNG can be so noble and moral when living in luxury but that humans of the Trek era can still be brutal and do immoral things when faced with adversity and high stakes.

My respect for Enterprise has gone up so much during this rewatch. It's definitely a great show.

TOS and TNG are about how humans can be better than we are now in the future.
DS9 and Enterprise are about how humans can be just as bad as we are now when you strip away comfort and luxury.

Both approaches are great and complimentary.

Voyager put TNG type people in an Enterprise S3 type scenario and then did nothing with it, making it the worst Trek.

Agree 100%. Archer is a great example of the complexity of humanity for Star trek/. Dude was way over his head at the start with the wrong idea of the universe. When he first tosses that guy in the airlock and is ready to let him die you know he will never be the same though later on he is still disgusted with himself even if he knows he did what he had to do.

Enterprise is a lot more tolerable as a show with time.

Zzoram

Even the much hated Enterprise theme song grows on you. The lyrics are really appropriate for a show about humanity's first interstellar exploration ship. I also really like the video montage of Earth's history of exploration.

Even the much hated Enterprise theme song grows on you. The lyrics are really appropriate for a show about humanity's first interstellar exploration ship. I also really like the video montage of Earth's history of exploration.

But unlike DS9 the second version was not an improvement. Voyager actually had the best music.

antonz

Enterprise certainly has better lyrics than TOS does.

Just the drastic change is what really soured people. It was a change from the usual fanfare style themes and as we all know people hate change.

Zzoram

Archer and T'Pol were pretty good characters IMO. They definitely get better with time. Even Trip has good development.

I like what they did with T'Pol. When she failed to meditate to suppress her emotions, they came out a bit. That's reasonable considering that we keep being told that Vulcans have stronger emotions than humans and that they learned to suppress them because they were destructive.

Zzoram

Picard is the best captain for sure. He was so damn diplomatic and his voice, that voice.

Watch the episode "First Contact" to see Picard at his diplomatic best. He is the kind of man who should be captain of every flagship since he has to meet so many new species and cultures.

Zzoram

I hope if they ever do another Trek series that they include security teams like the MACOs. It makes ground combat way more entertaining to see modern hand-to-hand combat techniques and military strategy used. I also like how the MACO guns shot bursts instead of beams. The Star Trek 2009 movie went with the bursts as well and I think it looks better for fast paced combat.

Also, remember that sniper rifle in the throwaway S7 episode of DS9? It's the best weapon ever and Starfleet scrapped it, lol. It teleports bullets into targets and works through walls. I really hate it when super awesome technology is introduced in 1 episode them immediately forgotten. That rifle was imba though, I can't imagine Starfleet ever losing a fight if their officers were armed with this thing.

Zzoram

One thing I'd like Trek to do is clarify when transporting is possible. They should make it so transporting can only occur when the person/object is tagged with a locator beacon like the comm badge or a communicator.

If not, there is no logic as to why transporters aren't just used to toss everyone into space the second a ship's shields aren't up.

maharg

idspispopd
One thing I'd like Trek to do is clarify when transporting is possible. They should make it so transporting can only occur when the person/object is tagged with a locator beacon like the comm badge or a communicator.

If not, there is no logic as to why transporters aren't just used to toss everyone into space the second a ship's shields aren't up.

Ugh. Didn't you get enough technobabble to explain away dramatic conveniences in Voyager?

Top Bottom