• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Golf Club 2 Announced Q1 2017 -Unity 5, Create-a-Golfer, Career Mode, Tempo Swing

I didn't see a thread on this...

This morning HB Studios announced a sequel to The Golf Club. Here is a link to the official Dev Diary about the announcement and I will put bullet points and preview video below.

HB Studios said:
1) Unity 5 – We’ve moved the game to Unity 5. This means lots of great things for all areas of the game.

2) Player Creator – We’ve got a huge player creator, where player features, clothing, clubs and gear will all be customizable. It’s almost limitless with millions upon millions of combinations to get your avatar looking just as you want him or her to.

3) Golf Societies – We’ve now got golf societies, not only places where you and your friends can hang out and play against each other in tournaments but huge public clubs. (All currency referred to is GAME CURRENCY, not real money)

4) Career Mode – Players will also be able to play away a more singular game against AI. Using offline societies and AI players to earn money and work your way through the challenges of increasing difficulty. All money earned here can be transferred to your online career, so it’s well worth taking part.

5) You’ll be able to now design courses with multi-level water, crowd placement, lots of new stuff to place as well as lots of new tools to make life easier for the designers out there.

There are also a number of additions gamplay wise

HB Studios said:
6) Game play – This is the big one…

a) Swing – we’re currently looking at a 3 level swing mechanic. The easy level will very much be based off of what we have now, but with tempo added and a distance reduction, Hard will be very punishing if in any way off centre and the tempo isn’t correct but when it’s good you will get a considerably further distance. Doing this gives us the variation we want, the difficulty some want and brings in the actual point of multiple tees.
b) Practice Swing – You’ll now be able to take practice swings.
c) HUD Numbering and Shot Shaper – These will be rounded giving you less ability to dial a distance while working on the shot shaper to make it much harder when trying to dial in distances.

7) Practice Range - We have a full driving range, putting green and chipping green. This is a full sandbox mode, giving you the ability to go out there and improve any part of your game.

8) Graphics

a) We’ve invested heavily in the character this time out, getting full photogrammetry scans of people and clothing to make your player look as realistic as possible.
b) We’ve also invested in a huge array of motion capture from two brand new golf pros. Well not only have a lot of great new shot animations but lots of post and pre shot stuff as well.
c) Full specular effects on everything on your course, this makes it look even more realistic than it did before.

9) Multiplayer

a) We won’t be adding a traditional lobby, but we will be improving live multiplayer extensively. We’ll be adding more game modes and the ability to play non friends.

(If a Mod can embed this I would appreciate it!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpSD0N97ENA

Also they will be doing a Twitch stream next Monday (6/20) to show off gameplay from the most recent build.

-NeoTB1-

They didn't have a huge presence at e3 (not surprisingly), but I really liked what I saw/heard about TGC2. More player customization is always nice, and an actual career mode was one of my most wanted additions. Societies sounds interesting - I hope it's fleshed out enough. I've played other games with similar ideas and a lot of times they feel unnecessary. And of course, this series already has the best course creator out there. Really excited to see how they can improve on it.

All in all, this is probably my second most-looked-forward-to sports game (behind Steep).

Jebusman

Banned
It still amazes me a company from Lunenburg, NS actually managed to break out and be a successful video game company, after doing nothing but port jobs and lower-tier sports games all their career.

It's pretty much located in a tiny fishing village/tourish trap. A population of maybe ~2500 at most. Proud to see a local success story come out of it for once.

Fox318

First game is fantastic. The commentary really makes the presentation work.

It would be nice if you could join live sessions with golfers better.

Fox318

It still amazes me a company from Lunenburg, NS actually managed to break out and be a successful video game company, after doing nothing but port jobs and lower-tier sports games all their career.

It's pretty much located in a tiny fishing village/tourish trap. A population of maybe ~2500 at most. Proud to see a local success story come out of it for once.

They are also using the product for golf simulation purposes for teachers and indoor simulators.

Its similar to Crytek making crysis then selling a product to the US Military.

Even if the game fails with gamers they will have a huge market with Golf professionals and stores.

creatchee

First game is fantastic. The commentary really makes the presentation work.

It would be nice if you could join live sessions with golfers better.

Wait, the commentary? It sounded like a Canadian guy talking over your shoulder while pretending to use a 5 wood as a microphone.

Love the game, though.

Bydobob

Game was kind of ugly but with good fundamentals. Seems like they're placing the focus on player models rather than the actual environment though. Don't skimp on the trees and grass!

Is Greg Norman still putting money into this?

Top Bottom