• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Tour |OT| ...of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezbollah

Less dumb army stuff, more car stuff, preferably to do with the area that they are at please, guys.

As someone with a load of friends originally from South Africa, the Zuma jokes were excellent, though.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Would really love if it got back to being a car show first with some funny bits added in for good measure.

Ep1 they had a trio of cars every carshow, even youtubers had done a year ago.
In ep2 they have a brand new car but all they do is let a unfunny American drive it. Why not let the Vulcan go against the trio from ep1? That would have at least be interesting. Meh...

Pachimari

I never watched Top Gear as I could never get into the scripted comedy, but I must say that I am enjoying the pilot so far. Not so much because anything have changed but this show just looks stunning.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
You know, if TGT doesn't get considerably better after the 2nd episode...Top Gear with LeBlanc, Harris and Reid could be poised to be a roaring success especially with Evans gone and the others relegated to infrequent supporting roles.

TGT needs to be careful with how they approach, imo. They are a bit too hamfisted with The American and celebrity death jokes.

Fox318

I think people are a bit too woried about the state of the show.

I also can't help but think that part of the reason its so different from what we are used to these 3 is the BBC lawyers.

I wouldn't be shocked if they can't do challenges no matter what they are called.

The American is probably also used to separate it from the Stig.

It would be nice if Skinner just spoke normally instead of in scripted dialogue.

Amory

Enjoyed the first episode and just now had a chance to watch the second

It's...not really scratching the itch. They're using so much time on the special forces segment and it doesn't have anything to do with cars lol

Hope they'll get back to challenges and mix in testing some affordable cars along with the hypercars. I liked when they drove cars that a normal person can actually afford

Anyway, still very hopeful for this series

Edit: with regard to "the American", it was kinda funny in the first episode but the joke's already run its course. We get it, he's a fat redneck and loves NASCAR and doesn't like European cars. Let's move on

Fox318

Enjoyed the first episode and just now had a chance to watch the second

It's...not really scratching the itch. They're using so much time on the special forces segment and it doesn't have anything to do with cars lol

Hope they'll get back to challenges and mix in testing some affordable cars along with the hypercars. I liked when they drove cars that a normal person can actually afford

Anyway, still very hopeful for this series

Edit: with regard to "the American", it was kinda funny in the first episode but the joke's already run its course. We get it, he's a fat redneck and loves NASCAR and doesn't like European cars. Let's move on

You sound like a fucking communist!

I hope you typed that using a v8 powered pc.

Not as good as the first, but not too bad. Also, even if it's the same guys it's still a new production so I think it's fine if they are a little inconsistent at first when this is just starting out.

And it just needs to be said again, damn this looks good in 4K HDR.

You can tell they are still trying to find their footing with the new show.

It'll get ironed out.

Yeah, nothing wrong with that.

I have a Sony 4K TV with HDR.. Has Android TV with the Amazon app.

Anyone know if I can watch this in 4K with HDR on it? Curious what you guys are using to view this in HDR.

Yup, you definitely should be able to since you said it's one with Android TV so it should be a 2015 or 2016. The app got updated quite a while ago to support 4K and HDR.

Keasar

Not gonna lie, I thought the Army bit was funny, even if scripted.

However, I do miss the Challenges, the Specials, those are what made Top Gear into Top Gear for me. Especially the Specials, like the trip to the North Pole, which I feel won't happen. :(

Lombax

Banned
Last weeks episode was incredibly boring. Really hope we get to see more challenges, and silly road trip specials.

mclem

Not gonna lie, I thought the Army bit was funny, even if scripted.

However, I do miss the Challenges, the Specials, those are what made Top Gear into Top Gear for me. Especially the Specials, like the trip to the North Pole, which I feel won't happen. :(

I've heard mutterings that there's something more of that ilk on the way for Christmas.

Jarrod38

There are official shirts now but the shipping alone is $17.00 while the shirt is $25.00
xjmEYe0.gif

RoKKeR

Trailer for this week looks promising. Guys on the road, walkie-talkies in-hand, making fun of James, etc.? Good sign.

HariKari

Came across this interview that took place after the first episode where they go over why they selected The American briefly.

Dunno what to think if he's really like that. Right after that they say they're open to changing things people don't like, though.

I don't know why they feel pressure to make the show tailored towards Americans. They're famous internationally. Americans watched legally or illegally and loved the style they already had. Hiring a NASCAR driver seems like a cynical move. He's a good driver but the entire character and the comments are dumb. The Stig was mainly a music joke + an excuse for Jeremy to be witty.

Instead of talking about the car or being witty, he just makes dumb, stereotypical comments about cars like the M2, which I'd like to think most Americans watching can appreciate for what it is. The entire thing feels like it should be beneath them.

dubc35

I don't know why they feel pressure to make the show tailored towards Americans. They're famous internationally. Americans watched legally or illegally and loved the style they already had. Hiring a NASCAR driver seems like a cynical move. He's a good driver but the entire character and the comments are dumb. The Stig was mainly a music joke + an excuse for Jeremy to be witty.

Instead of talking about the car or being witty, he just makes dumb, stereotypical comments about cars like the M2, which I'd like to think most Americans watching can appreciate for what it is. The entire thing feels like it should be beneath them.

As an American who has been watching the show for about 10 years now, the American slant feels awkward. I was hoping it would be less so in the second episode in South Africa. I guess I didn't realize the Nascar guy was the full time guy. I liked the old show with all its British-isms.

I thought the first episode was good. The second wasn't that great. It's only 2 shows so nothing to be worried about yet. I wish there were challenges and long road trips in cheap cars.

Couple of questions:

Samsung KS7000 (KS8000) owner here, and I seem to suffer from terrible lip sync with The Grand Tour. Not even the audio sync settings sort it out on the TV. Anyone else got this?

Also, my brother in law has the KS6000, which is HDR, but for some reason it wont show teh show in HDR.
The HDR Message comes up when playing his PS4 Pro games, but when he loads the Amazon app on the tv, it doesnt pop up at all, anyone got any suggestions on that?

Chris R

"The American" could work as a driver, minus all the stupid comments.

But seeing as everyone hates him I bet hes gone as soon as they can replace him.

Aaron

Wasn't really feeling episodes one and two, but episode three... perfection. Except the celeb death running gag. They need to lose that. The rest had me delighted, amazed, and laughing out loud, mostly at James May's expense.

Fox318

I was actually shocked Jezza could say "how hard can it be"

Also what a shame a 200 year old house like that gets knocked down.

Even that wall looked like it must have taken some work to build.

HariKari

Much better but a lot of it still feels forced compared to TG, especially Hammond being brash/ignorant/'Murican. Not nearly enough of them just joking around as they would on a normal road trip. It almost felt like they wouldn't do it without featuring an American car or something Americans can relate to. The Hellcat is definitely worthy of being on the show but I wouldn't have been sad if Hammond had gone with something more traditional but still fitting for him like an overly track focused Porsche or Lamborghini.

It feels like the entire premise of the Grand Tour is "this will be primarily seen by Americans, so it must be tailored towards them (or what we think they like)." I hope that vibe doesn't keep repeating throughout S1.

Much better but a lot of it still feels forced compared to TG, especially Hammond being brash/ignorant/'Murican. Not nearly enough of them just joking around as they would on a normal road trip. It almost felt like they wouldn't do it without featuring an American car or something Americans can relate to. The Hellcat is definitely worthy of being on the show but I wouldn't have been sad if Hammond had gone with something more traditional but still fitting for him like an overly track focused Porsche or Lamborghini.

It feels like the entire premise of the Grand Tour is "this will be primarily seen by Americans, so it must be tailored towards them (or what we think they like)." I hope that vibe doesn't keep repeating throughout S1.

I have a rather similar view unfortunately. It feels like the presenters are exaggerating their stereotypes in a much more pronounced way than previously, and Hammond's brashness this episode wasn't funny so much as it was irritating. I think I'm going to sit the show out for the next few weeks so that there's some time for the kinks in in it to be ironed out and hopefully next season it'll feel more natural.

It's hard to say if maybe it's just because it's different to Top Gear that it's making it feel this way, and I suppose there is the legitimate question as to whether the same gripes would be present if this had just been named Top Gear, but ultimately, while episode three was an improvement over the second episode, the first is still the best thus far to me and the second and third have been very uneven, so regardless as to whether the gripes are about it being 'different' it's not been as enjoyable as I was hoping it would be even if the production values of it are indeed stunning.

Fox318

The only reason why I don't think they are targeting Americans first is the celebs have all been more well known in the UK.

I think this show has had its issues with lawyers and then swapping studios probably hasn't helped them with making timely updates to criticism.

mclem

So... I noticed in the Conversation Street intro that Jeremy was wearing high heels, and now I'm wondering if there's something unusual in every one of those silhouettes that I hadn't noticed before.

Meh episode (way too much scripted cringe worth stuff), but waaaaaay better than the last one. Although, they'd need to really put up all kinds of efforts to made a worse one than last week's.

RoKKeR

I'm 5 minutes in and it's already the beat episode so far.

These shots of the Aston Martin are just stunning.

kulapik

So... I noticed in the Conversation Street intro that Jeremy was wearing high heels, and now I'm wondering if there's something unusual in every one of those silhouettes that I hadn't noticed before.

They said so in the first episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom