• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Tour |OT| ...of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathian

Banned
So I made this point with Episode 1 - felt like a lot of filler. Seems to me their spending a lot on very little and actually don't have a whole lot of content. Lots of money for the stars; some VTs and the location jumping but actually I feel like they don't have a lot of content left over to spend on.

The army shit is a prime example. They seemed to use every shot they'd got that day. It should have been edited down. The trousers; the smoke bomb; winning James over and over were quite good. But every time there was a good joke in part 2 it was redone (the stupid redo gimmick needed an actual comedy Twitter to pull off - not a production team who think their really funny) to death.

The rape thing was fucking bizzare. It was everything that was terrible. Mays machine gun then monologue. Top Gear would just have him stuck and they'd do the friendly thing of abandoning him. Then the shitty hotwiring bollocks. Then the Queen. Sigh/

Anyone else think the American is not just unfunny but a bit shit for these tests? I want the lap drive to be pushing the car to the edge - not commentary. So bizzare after they did exactly that with Stig.

Also why in SAF week are they uhm...doing nothing in SAF? I thought this was the point? I mean we had May Hates but he didn't actually...do it? Again this goes back to feeling like filler. I don't get why he couldn't do it.

Also everyone keeps going on about how good it is to get rid of the celeb stuff...but now we have a much worse filler of people dying and May being surprised their not coming on. FILLER.

My hope is they go back to car stuff. I mean they were complaining in the film about reviewing a car.

LoveCake

I think that the SAS segment would have been better if they had actually tried to do it properly.

The 'celebrity' getting killed all the time is I think a dig at the BBC lawyers, if they are not allowed to have a celebrity guest, then why not have a piss take of it, I would be happy for them to have a local celebrity and just have the celebrity promote what they want to promote (I have a new book out, you can buy it on Amazon now) and just talk about cars in the interview, and not have them drive a car, but maybe this is something that they have thought of but has been ruled out by the lawyers, this is the same thing with American Stig, the Top Gear Stig wasn't allowed to talk (couldn't talk) so they have to have a driver that speaks.

I think the issues with the studio (tent) sections are that on Top Gear the films and segments were more or less (the big films across countries excluded) were filmed that week before the studio section was filmed, so most of the things in the show were very recent and it was easier to recall and talk about, but on The Grand Tour all of the films and segments were filmed months ago, so they are doing the studio sections just straight, they have not had a week of pissing about with each other leading up to the filming in the studio (tent) like they used to have on Top Gear.

I just think that the second series will be better and then on going forward because they know what they can get away with in regards to the lawyers and legal issues, maybe the second series onwards they can film stuff going into the studio/tent, they could do some local filing of the car culture and manufacturing, for example in South Africa there is a car manufacture called Superformance who make continuation cars from Ford/Shelby and everyone who knows Jezza knows he loves the GT40 and Superformance make this (as driven by Tiff Needel).

Something else they could consider and do is poach Chris Harris because he knows himself how to create content, I always said and wanted him to join the trio because I think he would have fitted straight in (I maybe wrong) it would have been worth a go though.

What The Grand Tour needs is more of moments like THIS.

Wow. Wooow. That was so bad. That's the worst "Top Gear" episode I've ever seen. And that makes me really sad. 😥

Come on, guys! The first episode was awesome! More of stuff like that. Less of.. whatever the hell that abomination was.

I think this might be a PS vs. bhp conversion thing, because each company has made their claims in different units.

Not as a big of a misnomer as the electric LaFerrari error last week. Not a dealbreaker either IMO, Jeremy was clearly exaggerating when he said nothing comes close to half that etc.

Also, Britain bias lol

Well, HP numbers aside, a One:1 or the newer Regera could spank any road legal car out there, pretty much. Would love to see some track shootout(s), though after how TGT handled their hypercar shootout, I want someone else to do it... :/

sirap

It would've been better with less scripting, but in the end I got what I wanted out of the show; Clarkson, May and Hammond dicking around.

This show will get better on once their budget settles down. Some of the best moments out of Top Gear happened when the team were given pennies for filming.

valkyre

Can a French speaking gaffer tell me what were the actual comments of D'Ambrosio for the 3 hypercars?

I know the translation is all over the place (and funny) but I would like to hear his true comments. :D

micster

Next series, they really need to not show the American saying anything during the laps. Everything he comes out with is completely flat

Daffy Duck

I enjoyed it, lots of laughter at the military section, my kids were in hysterics.

Anyone else think the American is not just unfunny but a bit shit for these tests? I want the lap drive to be pushing the car to the edge - not commentary. So bizzare after they did exactly that with Stig.

I imagine this is like the old SIARPC section and the hot lap is done then the chit chat is filmed and edited in to make it look like he is talking on the lap when he actually isn't.

doby

Can't believe people are still supporting Jeremy Clarkson, bleh.

Whilst I don't particularly hold this view as I do like watching him, I was sort of annoyed by the opening to the first episode where Hammond and May pull up beside him in and given the pretence to the segment it was a show of unconditional support. It just didn't really sit well with me given what Clarkson did which lead to the end of Top Gear (and their jobs).

sirap

Whilst I don't particularly hold this view as I do like watching him, I was sort of annoyed by the opening to the first episode where Hammond and May pull up beside him in and given the pretence to the segment it was a show of unconditional support. It just didn't really sit well with me given what Clarkson did which lead to the end of Top Gear (and their jobs).

But that's pretty much how it happened? Clarkson was the only one out of Top Gear, Hammond and May chose to leave a few weeks after in support of their best mate. Remember, this was a time when everyone was throwing shit at Clarkson and no one was supporting him. A new show wasn't even in the cards. They were pretty transparent about it on their twitter accounts.

It might seem like they hate each other, but Hammond, May and Clarkson are pretty much ride or die. Clarkson's a buffoon but he's loyal to his friends. Dude was a mess after Hammond's crash.

I enjoyed it, lots of laughter at the military section, my kids were in hysterics.

I imagine this is like the old SIARPC section and the hot lap is done then the chit chat is filmed and edited in to make it look like he is talking on the lap when he actually isn't.

I always figured the SIARPC stuff was just a compliation of previous lap attempts, saving the best lines for "the lap."

I hope the American evolves into something worth caring about.

RenditMan

Banned

They're best buds. It's what buddy's do.

Calderc

I completely and utterly missed the rape thing as I wasn't giving the show my full attention (it doesn't quite deserve it) so can someone elaborate?

I don't really feel the hate for The American is proportionate.

I'd get it if it took up a lot of time, but it's a minute or so out of a full hour.

I enjoyed the latest episode, but the main segment went on for way too long and could have done with some editing down.

I don't really feel the hate for The American is proportionate.

I'd get it if it took up a lot of time, but it's a minute or so out of a full hour.

I enjoyed the latest episode, but the main segment went on for way too long and could have done with some editing down.
It's mostly that he is such a missed opportunity and, right now, a terribly obvious joke with no depth. Far worse than another silent driver.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's mostly that he is such a missed opportunity and, right now, a terribly obvious joke with no depth. Far worse than another silent driver.

Part of me thinks they made him horrible just to fuck with Amazon. Or so they could kill him off and use Amazon money to cyborg him back to life as a mute robot driver.

Betty

Banned
I completely and utterly missed the rape thing as I wasn't giving the show my full attention (it doesn't quite deserve it) so can someone elaborate?

Jeremy get's stuck in a window and hints that the terrorists behind him are doing things to him.

I didn't assume it was rape, just that they were doing something, but it's left to the viewers imagination.

v1lla21

Didn't like this episode. American should just stay quiet as fuck and the whole military thing dragged on way too long. It was funny but it could've been shorter.

Calderc

Jeremy get's stuck in a window and hints that the terrorists behind him are doing things to him.

I didn't assume it was rape, just that they were doing something, but it's left to the viewers imagination.

Ah, thanks. Yeah that entire segment was just bad.

Oh my, you guys weren't joking, this was a bad episode. The whole training sequence went on for far too long, killing the show's pacing.

I feel confident they'll find their footing soon enough.

Coxy100

Banned
Just watched the 2nd episode. The army parts (at least the first bit) was a complete waste of time - didn't enjoy it. Loved the first episode though so I'll be back for the third..

Coxy100

Banned
Didn't like this episode. American should just stay quiet as fuck and the whole military thing dragged on way too long. It was funny but it could've been shorter.

And this.

I thought they released a video where they had found a new Stig - the original Stig driver. So how come we have 'The American' ?

And this.

I thought they released a video where they had found a new Stig - the original Stig driver. So how come we have 'The American' ?

I thought they couldn't have a Silent driver as that would be too close to Top Gear and lawsuits, so they made it with a chatty American but it doesn't work at all.

Also this episode was pure dog shit and the first was decent.

Donos

Like some said, it would be nice if the american could at least give a bit of feedback of the cars (handling), for all i care after his lap/usual "funny" comments.

And this.

Looks like the video was a segment for Clarkson, Hammond, May live-tour and not this...

I think the will kill the american off or switch him out, maybe for a russian dude, who you just dont understand...

the army segment was meh... it has its moments, but was far from perfect. But its already a lot better than Top Gear with Chris Evans, well mainly cause the three hosts here, have chemistry...

Plus its in 4K and the cars and stuff just look magnificient in 4k, already a huge plus, i already enjoy it for the cinematogrophy!

GlamFM

Banned
Watched the first two episodes over the weekend and thought they were OK.

My biggest problem are the scripted conversations in the tent.

Super wooden and super unfunny - they used to be better, right?

Could it be because the have to somehow deal with the local audience? I mean their show was always recorded in britain, so they could use jokes about britain...but now the traveling tent made that a bit harder I guess..

Well, that was ok i suppose. The army bit was tedious and it's only two episodes and their template formula is getting thin already. The Vulkan segment was good and amazingly i feel like the only brit who doesn't hate 'Murican Stig.

Hopefully it improves over the next few episodes after that low.

deadduck

They were always that bad IMHO

- Terrible second episode.

Mohonky

Mixed bag for me so far.

They aren't actors so some of the obviously scripted and rehearsed bits just don't gel all that well. The whole SIARPC killing celebrities thing hasn't gotten a peep out of me.

I did have a bunch of laughs at the military segment, but it did get tiring.

The guys are best when it's more organic; cheap car challenges, the International road trip specials like Bolivia, Vietnam etc. I was hoping Grand Tour would be more along those lines but this feels a little too 'this is Top Gear but we've gone a bit too scripted and stupid'

The guys are best when it's more organic; cheap car challenges, the International road trip specials like Bolivia, Vietnam etc. I was hoping Grand Tour would be more along those lines but this feels a little too 'this is Top Gear but we've gone a bit too scripted and stupid'

Yup, I could probably watch them do a cheap car challenge every week without it getting boring.

Mixed bag for me, the Army bit was fun but felt about 15min to long
but the worst bit for me was the American! he just seems wrong for the show! I hoped that the race driver would change to one from the country the show was in, so episode 1 in America had The American, episode 2 should have had a South African

but its still better than the last season of top gear so I'm pleased

thenexus6

Well, like I said I don't like Top Gear or these guys but I watched episode one because I was curious and didn't like it obviously. Reading all the negative comments about episode two, I made it to the studio section just after the Aston bit at the start and stopped watching.

Its just so forced, scripted and just not funny. I find it funny how "untouchable" these guys come off and its just so lame.

I think I will watch whatever episode they feature the Honda NSX otherwise I am not watching anymore.

Well I figured with a title like the GRAND TOUR that they would be going around the world doing challenges and stuff. But they aren't its weird.

The SAS stuff was poor and not in the right show at all. These guys are not scripted comedy actors and it painfully showed. The first episode was good, not great. This episode was poor wooden, dragged on too long. I'm hopeful they will get into their groove before the end of this season though, provided they have not filmed all the episodes so they can react to feedback.

Lima

The SAS stuff was poor and not in the right show at all. These guys are not scripted comedy actors and it painfully showed. The first episode was good, not great. This episode was poor wooden, dragged on too long. I'm hopeful they will get into their groove before the end of this season though, provided they have not filmed all the episodes so they can react to feedback.

All the outside segments have been filmed already and the tent segement is done for another 5 episodes. Next tent section will be taped December 3rd in Scotland and then the last one for the year will be in Dubai. They have two more tent location shots coming up next year. Expect little change in direction for this season and not much reaction to feedback.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I get that they want to make it personable and have segments that open it up from just being a straight car show. I feel like the whole car thing has taken a total backseat though.

I thought they couldn't have a Silent driver as that would be too close to Top Gear and lawsuits, so they made it with a chatty American but it doesn't work at all.

Also this episode was pure dog shit and the first was decent.

I think the issue is his humour is just awful rather than his chattiness more than anything. He doesn't necessarily need to be silent, they just need to stop the painful 'jokes' which continuously fall flat. If he talked about the car it could be salvageable, but his 'joking' is just notably awful and simply does not work.

2nd episode wasn’t that great.

-Army segment went on for far too long
-S8 was brushed over
-Are celebrities just going to be “killed” every week?
-I completely skip over the American in the timed lap now.
-Too much fluff and not funny scripting, not enough car content

Still going to watch because the trio have good chemistry!

Terrible episode.

Very little substance, lots of 'filler' that was so bad it was painful to watch.

Studio segments are feeling very forced and without merit.

The American is the worst part of this new series bar none. Was really hoping that was a bad joke limited to the first episode.

And as usual the super scripted segments just don't satisfy compared to the more shit-happens scenarios that play out on their road trips.

They can keep killing celebrity guests all day though. Just fine with that, as long as they keep it quick and move on ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom