• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Tour |OT| ...of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjp

I guess you technically meant midnight GMT on the 18th November as midnight GMT on the 17th November has already passed...

clockpunk

Been waiting so long for this!! ^_^ damned shame I didn't get tickets to any of the three filming sessions I applied for, but at least the trio (rather, quad I suppose) are back.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm priming my body.

No but seriously, as if Amazon Prime wasn't already an awesome $50 well spent...now we have this. Bezos, you magnificent son of a bitch. Come March, I'm renewing my prime account.

Jarrod38

Guys we're only a few hours away.
LKlGFDe.gif

I never considered they could use erm... more aggressive language in the move Amazon

"
I never knew it was possible to shit yourself
"

I'm looking forward to seeing the pirate numbers in the next few days. It's gonna be a big one. Maybe next time Amazon will listen.

Sadly I'm in Canada and have to wait until December. Hope you enjoy it guys!

I never considered they could use erm... more aggressive language in the move Amazon

"
I never knew it was possible to shit yourself
"

Considering they had just bleeped a "fuck", complete with mouth censor, seeing a "shit" be uttered in the clear is a surprise.

I had no idea it was up already in the States. Fantastic.

EDIT: Bless the midnight UK release turning into 7pm EST. That's a proper worldwide launch.

Just saw the first 10 minutes here on my phone but I'll be watching this proper when I get home.

Opening was fun but that montage was insane! The $3.2 million price tags per episode is so being put to good use... Yes.

Noticed in the credits that the script editor is Richard Porter who was with them on Top Gear.

I can totally recommend the book he put out last year. He gives a very honest and humorous behind the scenes view into what it was like working on that show, right up until it came to an end.

51TjkBA2NhL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Amazon will be running a special for new members (at least in the USA) starting tonight at midnight PST for 24 hours, $79 for a subscription instead of the usual $99. You get all the prime goodies like 2 day shipping, TV/movie access, and free games on twitch (which is owned by amazon). Sadly for us existing members you won't get a discount to renew or add to your sub.

Also I think college students and moms get discounted prime subs, not sure of all the details though.

Tu101uk

Finished watching, it was like meeting an old friend - some things have changed but nothing's really changed.

The production value increase is certainly there, thanks to the Amazon megabucks, but you can't throw money at the camaraderie on show here. At the heart of it, we have the same three middle-aged car journalists larking around in cars, and that's all that people really wanted in a car show that isn't called Top Gear...

(just spoiler tagging this for those who haven't seen it yet)

Loved this week's segment on the (un)Holy Trinity (and the resolution at the end was funny). I'm still laughing at the fact they can't use "The News" as a segment link due to contractual reasons, but hey at least they have car news on the show. Liking the new "ebola drome" track and even the mouthy American driver for the performance lap times. The celebrity skit might be their humorous way of saying there won't be a celebrity segment as such.

It all just felt familiar and natural. Here are three blokes who have been doing this for years, telling us what driving the cars were actually like. It wasn't like Chris Evans trying to drive supercars fast (and failing) - he never convinced me that he knew what he was talking about in regards to the feel of driving them.

Bring on the next eleven episodes!

What a great episode to start the show off with, I really hope all of them are just as good if not better!

Welcome back, guys.

h1nch

Fantastic episode. The guys just picked right up where they left off, and they've tweaked the formula up a bit while keeping enough of what made the previous series great. The cinematography in particular was absolutely stunning.

Great to read all the positives. Seems like the boys are back as good or better.

Sadly can't see myself subscribing, have watched Top Gear through its various incarnations since the 1980s. Maybe watch this series one day on a bluray set for £20-25 instead of paying £79?

I am not sure of this, but I dont think they are using movie soundtracks anymore as background music. I think they may be using custom created stuff. If so, I guess that makes licensing much less of a hassle to deal with, and a possible physical release of the seasons of Blu Ray much more of a possibility.

Great to read all the positives. Seems like the boys are back as good or better.

Sadly can't see myself subscribing, have watched Top Gear through its various incarnations since the 1980s. Maybe watch this series one day on a bluray set for £20-25 instead of paying £79?

I guess £20 off does not make it much better for you, but it is currently only £59 (yearly) for a few more hours at least. Also, at least for me there is enough other content on Amazon Prime Video to make it worth subscribing too.

There is also a £5.99 (Monthly) option too (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/signup/) - which would be £18 total if you cancel after 3 months (12 episodes)

You can pay I think it's £6 per month if you feel like £6 for 4 episodes every month is worth the cost, it's what I am doing (But I am still in a free trial month right now)

I am not sure of this, but I dont think they are using movie soundtracks anymore as background music. I think they may be using custom created stuff. If so, I guess that makes licensing much less of a hassle to deal with, and a possible physical release of the seasons of Blu Ray much more of a possibility.

I do hope these come to retail in some way, the music used was really well done also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom