• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Tour |OT| ...of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds close enough to old Top gear to get the BBC lawyers twitching. James May recently outlined how they needed to make it sufficiently legally different from the old show to avoid lawsuits. It'll be interesting to see if there's any reaction from the BBC.

Doubt it, can be certain the lawyers have been involved to make sure before this debuted.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sounds close enough to old Top gear to get the BBC lawyers twitching. James May recently outlined how they needed to make it sufficiently legally different from the old show to avoid lawsuits. It'll be interesting to see if there's any reaction from the BBC.

It's a car show by the same presenters. It's bound to feel similar. No way any judge is gonna go "well, these guys whose jobs is presenting car shows can never do a car show again because it will feel like the same car show they did before." So you don't really have to worry about it. As long as they didn't copy the exact format, it's gonna be fine and the BBC lawyers will go do whatever mundane thing they were doing yesterday.

Capitan

awesome. so glad they're back. I'll miss their tame racing driver and stars in a reasonably priced car, though. when they were doing stuff with the celebrities i thought they were building up to something but i guess not, lol.

Mascot

It's a car show by the same presenters. It's bound to feel similar. No way any judge is gonna go "well, these guys whose jobs is presenting car shows can never do a car show again because it will feel like the same car show they did before." So you don't really have to worry about it. As long as they didn't copy the exact format, it's gonna be fine and the BBC lawyers will go do whatever mundane thing they were doing yesterday.

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression I was worried about it. Just making conversation! :)

Is there anyway to ensure I'm seeing this in HDR like others have suggested using the KS8000?

There doesnt seem to be any indication of it being turned on when using the built in Amazon app.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Replacement for celebrity in a reasonably priced car is pretty great and exactly what you want to see from celebrities on talk shows.

Nodnol

Glad to have them back.

As was evident with Top Gear, the charm was never about the type of things they do or the format of the show; when the BBC just tried to do the same thing with different people, it didn't quite work.

The charm was always Clarkson, May and Hammond and the chemistry and balance they bring. As long as you've got those three, being produced by Andy Wilman et al, then it will clearly "feel" right.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can't seem to get higher than 1080p in this show. 4K and HDR are not working. Other Amazon Prime shows DO display in this mode. Not too happy about that.

Lima

While I do have Prime I'm going to download raw untouched caps in 4K HDR anyway if only to play it back at proper 23,976 fps. The whole show is filmed like that and I still can't believe Amazon hasn't figured out a way to display it like that. Not even on their own fire tv devices for fucks sake.

I just watched and it was pretty good, not perfect but pretty good. It will take some time for them find their stride and tweak the format.I am especially interested to see what they will do for the celebrity segment, what we saw them clearly them making fun of the fact they don't know what to do with it.

I am eagerly awaiting for someone to bring the Eboladrome to Assetto Corsa/rFactor..

Saw some parts of the opening episode and I liked what u saw, some struggles but great to see the guys back
😎

I really need a 4K HDR tv

chifanpoe

Maybe it's Amazon Germany? It's under the UHD section but it doesn't have the "UHD" tag in the corner like all of the other shows. It seems like the UHD HDR version just isn't up yet.

I had that issue when it first hit in the US yesterday. I could get 4k but not HDR. I tried again later and was able to get 4k HDR on both the LG OLED Amazon App and the Samsung UBD-K8500 Amazon App.

awesome. so glad they're back. I'll miss their tame racing driver and stars in a reasonably priced car, though. when they were doing stuff with the celebrities i thought they were building up to something but i guess not, lol.
It was a really well done tease, you get that old feeling then suddenly "oh!" Three times in a row lol

Certinty

I can easily see this becoming the biggest streamed show online, maybe even the biggest show altogether?

Great episode, felt exactly like the old Top Gear for the most part too. Oh and it's so damn beautiful in 4K.

Poeton

That was awesome! I've always watched top gear on Netflix and as such I could watch 2 and 3 episodes in a row. Having to wait a week for the next episode is my only real complaint.

Episode wouldn't play on my Wii U (I know). Kept getting a AMZP-14 issue. Other stuff on Amazon played fine.

Had to go grab the PS4 in the other room where I wanted to watch it. Weird.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Really great episode but some of their gags really went on much too long (dying celebs and "fighting" with the american audience). The new track looks great and i love their driver, lol

fwoibles

amazon prime? nope, not since they wouldn't just change my subscription over when moving countries despite ordering 3,5k+€ every year since 2011, haven't ordered since
4k tv? nope, although this might have been a program to make me buy one
good internet? nope, 5mbit max

sad, love the boys. any info on a BlueRay release?

just finished, good episode. I am looking forward to the season.

weird that they were "on location" in the high desert... to show clips filmed in other locations. I was hoping the "tour" would including filming a segment or something at the location itself.

TTG

It was... alright? Car nerds know that this exact test(same cars on same track) was done like more than a year ago and this trio has been compared a number of times since. Would have been great if they went on a road trip like they have with other big tests in the past, or filmed something with these 3 in the interim, but oh well. Besides that, the M2 segment was ok and that one woman behind Clarkson had the whitest teeth. Surprisingly little content for 70 minutes.

The show is gorgeous anyway, I'm looking forward to next week.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I was dying laughing at parts of the show.

I fast forwarded through the extremely lengthy segments about the million dollar cars since I usually don't care about those. I so much more prefer when they review cars that might possibly someday be something that I can actually buy like the M2.

Fox Mulder

It was... alright? Car nerds know that this exact test(same cars on same track) was done like more than a year ago and this trio has been compared a number of times since. Would have been great if they went on a road trip like they have with other big tests in the past, or filmed something with these 3 in the interim, but oh well. Besides that, the M2 segment was ok and that one woman behind Clarkson had the whitest teeth. Surprisingly little content for 70 minutes.

The show is gorgeous anyway, I'm looking forward to next week.

They probably felt like they had to do the comparison after it was teased so much on top gear before all the shit went down.

You know what? I will be totally fine with them inviting a new celebrity every episode only to have an "accident" again. Like a 5 minute segment with some neat special effects or stunts.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
That was awesome.

And unfortunately, a trailer/clip I saw ruined that Clarkson lost the bet. So mad about that.

dalin80

Banned
That was awesome.

And unfortunately, a trailer/clip I saw ruined that Clarkson lost the bet. So mad about that.

The outcome was spoiled a while back with a lot of news sites and papers reporting on the the state of his house so as sound as the bet was made most viewers probably knew how it was going to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom