• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Tour |OT| ...of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bits in the tent do feel way more forced somehow, maybe the cheapness of the old studio added to a lot of the charm

The track bit with the hypercars was great, though

FiraB

Banned
Enjoyed it, could have done without the timed-track bit but still good.

Night and day better then current top gear.

Zutroy

I am not sure of this, but I dont think they are using movie soundtracks anymore as background music. I think they may be using custom created stuff. If so, I guess that makes licensing much less of a hassle to deal with, and a possible physical release of the seasons of Blu Ray much more of a possibility.
I'm sure the music played as the Ferrari was coming out of the truck was a from a fairly recent film, I just can't put my finger on it though!

Thought the first 10 minutes or so were awkward, but it quickly righted itself and I enjoyed the hell out of this episode. Most of the jokes worked for me and the chemistry between the hosts makes this show special. Will definitely be back for the rest.

h1nch

I'm sure the music played as the Ferrari was coming out of the truck was a from a fairly recent film, I just can't put my finger on it though!

There were a few segments that used tracks from Dredd, which was a great choice IMO

Evo X

Strange, I watched it right when it hit and it did not prompt HDR mode of me, only standard 4K. I will have to try it again and see if HDR engages.

Weird.

I'm watching it using the built in tv app. It was the first option under 4K UHD Originals.

CSX

How can I watch it with HDR enabled? I'm guessing I can't just do it through a browser from my pc connected via HDMI to TV?

Terrific episode and did exactly what I wanted it to be: Be Top Gear.

I was concerned going up to this that we might end up with something that just didn't work even with the fantastic chemistry Clarkson, May and Hammond have with each other. This did everything I wanted and more. Simply amazing and I can't wait for more. I almost shed a tear when I saw that they had guaranteed it for at least the next 3 years.

It always was a big deal to me that regardless of what shows came and went, there was always Top Gear. Now that void has been filled.

chifanpoe

Weird.

I'm watching it using the built in tv app. It was the first option under 4K UHD Originals.

I just tried it again and now HDR engaged. I will have to rewatch it, wish LG/Amazon would fix HDR mode so it saves your settings with that app.

chifanpoe

How can I watch it with HDR enabled? I'm guessing I can't just do it through a browser from my pc connected via HDMI to TV?

I think only built in TV apps(depends on TV) and the Samsung UHD blu ray player app have HDR right now on amazon.

doby

Good first episode but not without its flaws for me.

The introduction was cringy and self indulgent, I was waiting for the punch line but it never came. It really was a 'look how great we are' opening which just doesn't work for me because they're a trio of prats (which is what I love).

The scripted bits are as painful as usual, why Carol Vorderman??!

Also can't agree with others here saying the Amazon money shows in comparison, the production quality seems exactly the same as it was on the BBC (which was excellent) except for the exotic studio locations.

So good to have them back though, I'm glad the format is largely unchanged. Excited for next week.

Oh and I miss the stig :(

10 minutes in it all fell right in place I am so happy the "look" of the show made it over. The chemistry between these three were greatly missed can't wait for road trip hijinks.

foppy79

The lampoon of the "Star in a reasonably priced car" bit was beautiful.

Very much looking forward to the rest of this.

Glad it came out tonight so I can 100% focus on Pokemon tomorrow.

Not gonna lie; I teared up when Hammond and James joined Jeremy on the road.

Overall fantastic episode! I'm so excited we have the real "Top Gear" back.

Beefy

Good first episode but not without its flaws for me.

The introduction was cringy and self indulgent, I was waiting for the punch line but it never came. It really was a 'look how great we are' opening which just doesn't work for me because they're a trio of prats (which is what I love).

The scripted bits are as painful as usual, why Carol Vorderman??!

Also can't agree with others here saying the Amazon money shows in comparison, the production quality seems exactly the same as it was on the BBC (which was excellent) except for the exotic studio locations.

So good to have them back though, I'm glad the format is largely unchanged. Excited for next week.

Oh and I miss the stig :(

I felt the first bit was just them taking the piss.

The show is a step up from when the trio were on Top Gear, not a huge one but still a step up. It's great to have them back after having to watch Top Gear has become.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It'll be through Amazon, The Grand Tour's international release will coincide with Amazon Prime Video going global.

moment of silence for Final Gear
They're finally bringing it to Canada? I guess sign up to Prime now before they raise the price.

Man this was so great! AMAZON has a huge hit on their hands and it really goes to show Top Gear was Clark, Hammond and May.

Loved it

terrible

Banned
So you can still watch this in Canada if you use a Prime trial on Amazon UK, at least right now. I didn't expect that. Beats having to wait for it to launch here in December I'll tell you that.

Most of the first episode was simply them explaining how the series will work in the future so I won't really judge the tent segments. It wouldn't be fair.

The P1, 918, LaFerrari part was pretty fun. I think we saw actual terror in Clarkson's eyes during one of the drag races, poo definitely came out.

Such a great new format for these busted up gearheads. I can't lie the feels of that intro got me a little misty eyed. I can't wait for next week's episode!

after rewatching the ep I'm kind of annoyed at how well put together the tent is. It needs to be ambitious but it also needs to be rubbish.

I miss the bad lighting and cheap props and run-down trailers and yes even the awkward celebrity interviews. Somehow it doesn't feel as natural when you can't imagine the hosts as incompetent underdogs who accidentally put together an amazing show, even though that's never actually been true.

the digital lap board with the high tech graphics really sealed the deal for me. I want the markers and uneven magnetic strips back.

Watched this a couple hours ago. It looks great and it's pretty much classic Top Gear in every way but name. Aside from no commercials, the coolest thing is the Amazon X-ray support for this show. Tells you all the music that plays in the background and lots of little trivia bits from car specs to little on set facts. Makes for a superior experience than old Top Gear.

Edit:
the digital lap board with the high tech graphics really sealed the deal for me. I want the markers and uneven magnetic strips back.

Huh, when I saw that, I thought, "Wow why didn't they think of doing that on Top Gear?" I guess I never saw it as "ambitious but rubbish" in an endearing way, just that they were purposefully to cheap.

Piggus

Watched this a couple hours ago. It looks great and it's pretty much classic Top Gear in every way but name. Aside from no commercials, the coolest thing is the Amazon X-ray support for this show. Tells you all the music that plays in the background and lots of little trivia bits from car specs to little on set facts. Makes for a superior experience than old Top Gear.

Sweet, I'll have to check that out later.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Absolutely triumphant return to the small screen for the three heroes.

I love that the first episode established GT as a car show first.

Mascot

Sounds close enough to old Top gear to get the BBC lawyers twitching. James May recently outlined how they needed to make it sufficiently legally different from the old show to avoid lawsuits. It'll be interesting to see if there's any reaction from the BBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom