• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doc Evils said:
29zbk3d922.gif
the dvd drive could be having "issues" it looks like the drive can't stream fast enough... I'm sure everyones wont do that.

a hard drive install would be nice to help stop this.

Yoboman

borghe said:
what does that have to do with anything? all of the pirated copies are ripped from retail copies.
Depending on the rate it was burned at (probably at 16x), the data may be distributed badly on the disc

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, I must know, can anyone confirm whether or not MOTION BLUR is present in the PS3 version? I do not want another Darkness situation here (not that anybody claimed that game looked superior on PS3). The motion blur is a lovely effect and I just want to make certain that it is present in the game.

Haunted One said:
I sure hope they improve the streaming for the PC version. Gears did a good job with that in comparison to the console version.
What? Like hell it did. Gears on the PC had wierd streaming issues that caused slight skips and stutters at random. If you read around on various forums, you'll see that this is insanely common. I'm using a blazing fast hard drive with 4gb of ram and the game never has trouble holding 60 fps, but it still likes to skip here and there. It's not really a big deal (only really occurs when moving to a next area), but it does kill some of the polish. The loading times really aren't much faster either.

norman603

Neo Member
Most likely a rendering bug,believe me pop-up is NOT a problem in x360 version(with or without hard drive),have the game
Also hard drives have nothing to do with the pop-up(but of course this is gaf so carry on:D )

DC R1D3R

Banned
As far as the 360 (retail) version is concerned, there are absolutely NO problems with the framerate and and pop-in is extremely rare also.

The only gripe I have with the visuals are the slightly "rough around the edges" textures on far away objects (shadows, buildings etc).

Apart from that, Liberty City is a fucking sight to behold. Absolutely beautiful!

Seriously guys, as soon as you flip the disc in your console of choice, all arguments will cease. It's THAT good :]

dark10x said:
OK, I must know, can anyone confirm whether or not MOTION BLUR is present in the PS3 version? I do not want another Darkness situation here (not that anybody claimed that game looked superior on PS3). The motion blur is a lovely effect and I just want to make certain that it is present in the game.

What? Like hell it did. Gears on the PC had wierd streaming issues that caused slight skips and stutters at random. If you read around on various forums, you'll see that this is insanely common. I'm using a blazing fast hard drive with 4gb of ram and the game never has trouble holding 60 fps, but it still likes to skip here and there. It's not really a big deal (only really occurs when moving to a next area), but it does kill some of the polish. The loading times really aren't much faster either.

this....all of it

pswii60

borghe said:
what does that have to do with anything? all of the pirated copies are ripped from retail copies.
Not that I'm an expert, but I'm pretty sure that the 360 drive, like any drive, will read DL DVDRs far slower than retail discs, which will cause some issues with games that require fast seek-times like GTA.

Smokey

This thread is sad, and I'm not too surprised by who started this thread...

The game is fucking amazing. I've been playing it for a few days on 360 and I'll tell you you all are wasting your time. Seriously.

Eric WK

Smokey Bones said:

The game is fucking amazing. I've been playing it for a few days on 360 and I'll tell you you all are wasting you're time. Seriously.

I love the fact that everyone who has played the game has had the exact same reaction.

And no, I don't think it surprised anyone that Chubigans thought this was an awesome idea.

itxaka

Defeatist
Francias Castiglione said:
Weird, I've been past there a large number of times and that has not happened once. Although I'm sure that GIF won't stop it being used as proof that it happens every time anyway.

Same here. I love that spot as you go fast and jump a lot, land almost on the other side of it and there is always people them so you hit them fucking fast and they literally fly out of there. Never happened to me there, after 16 hours of play

I´m calling that pirated game. DVD drive speed can be altered with the firmware change to lower it (less noise) and the burned media is always inferior to a normal copy of the game.

itxaka said:
Same here. I love that spot as you go fast and jump a lot, land almost on the other side of it and there is always people them so you hit them fucking fast and they literally fly out of there. Never happened to me there, after 16 hours of play

I´m calling that pirated game. DVD drive speed can be altered with the firmware change to lower it (less noise) and the burned media is always inferior to a normal copy of the game.

So you're saying the GIF was taken out of context and that's why you didn't walk out of the living room the second you saw it? Because all the red blooded gamers I know, seeing that, would've walked out of the living room immediately.

But if you're saying it was out of context, I have no reason to doubt that.

;D

(Boy, that was elaborate....)

pswii60

Could the level of pop-in not be very dependent on the health of your 360's drive? Lost Odyssey and Smash Bros Brawl come to mind.

derder

Smokey Bones said:

The game is fucking amazing. I've been playing it for a few days on 360 and I'll tell you you all are wasting your time. Seriously.

We have nothing better to do, honestly.

Ploid 3.0

PS3 owners that skipped out on orange box because of nit picks should enjoy it as well. Not a bad game at all, and you'll enjoy it if you like the first person view, or don't mind playing in the first person view. The game looks pretty, and ep2 looks amazing with the color that I haven't seen another fps use (yellow, red, and green in one spot that looks jaw dropping).

Why are you guys even having this discussion? Reviewers, Rockstar, and all other sources have stated that the differences between the two versions are negligible. It is pretty much proven that you will get the same experience from both versions.

i can see a cigarette butt 500 ft in the distance laying on the side walk on the ps3, but only 468.54 ft for the xbox

SUPERIOR VERSION CONFIRMED

Slamo

Ploid 3.0 said:
PS3 owners that skipped out on orange box because of nit picks should enjoy it as well. Not a bad game at all, and you'll enjoy it if you like the first person view, or don't mind playing in the first person view. The game looks pretty, and ep2 looks amazing with the color that I haven't seen another fps use (yellow, red, and green in one spot that looks jaw dropping).

Really? You're comparing GTA4 on the 360 to the Orange Box on the PS3? I played Orange Box PS3...

If (and right now is only a big if) the Ps3 version is really slighty better, you cannot compare it to the Orange Box. No way the Orange Box is only slighty better on the 360.

USC-fan

Banned
FirstInHell said:
Why are you guys even having this discussion? Reviewers, Rockstar, and all other sources have stated that the differences between the two versions are negligible. It is pretty much proven that you will get the same experience from both versions.

i can see a cigarette butt 500 ft in the distance laying on the side walk on the ps3, but only 468.54 ft for the xbox

SUPERIOR VERSION CONFIRMED
Well I would just like to buy the best version for single player. A lot of us here have both a ps3/x360.

Going by some reviews it seems the PS3 is the way to go.

Dot50Cal

Banned
NeoUltima said:

Ohh shitt..

Pop-In & Loading
With a huge, seamless streaming world, data must be constantly read from the disc. The PS3 version, with its required HDD install, loads missions faster and decreases pop-in. The Xbox 360 version can suffer from some very noticeable texture loading, as things like trees, vehicles and building signs will regularly pop-in as one tools about town. It can be distracting, especially during high speed chases, and the PS3 version is entirely immune from it, but it's not a game killing problem.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
NeoUltima said:
Frame Rate
Grand Theft Auto has never been synonymous with a rock solid frame rate, something it generally seems to get a pass for. While GTA IV is smoother in general than it's predecessors, it can expectedly suffer during chaos. The Xbox 360 version seemed capable of achieving a smoother frame rate in certain circumstances, such as in confined spaces or during light traffic, but both versions seemed to regularly run at a similar clip.
Graphics
The two versions are so close to identical, visually, that putting together a comparison was a challenge. Initially, it appeared that the PS3 suffered from more noticeable aliasing than its 360 counterpart, but after eyeballing the final retail copy, they appear to be on par. I noticed that the paint filter applied to cover some of the game's imperfections appeared a tiny bit muddier on the PS3 version, with night time scenes seeing a bit more streakiness. Some of these minor complaints may be the result of our particular television set up.

Is this game like a freaking Rorschach test or something? Nobody can fucking agree on the differences.

tak

Crushed said:
Is this game like a freaking Rorschach test or something? Nobody can fucking agree on the differences.
I think its just an indication that the differences are so small that they don't matter.

f@luS

More than a member.
finished GT review. There is really a lot of clipping and textures "morphing" its a bit annoying. they said it was the 360 review at the end and reading kotaku , ps3 version would be almost immune from it? fap if true, but i have some doubts

f@luS said:
finished GT review. There is really a lot of clipping and textures "morphing" its a bit annoying. they said it was the 360 review at the end and reading kotaku , ps3 version would be almost immune from it? fap if true, but i have some doubts

No almost about it. Zero Pop-In For PS3!!

bosx2

Banned
after the GT review, I´m so fucking hyped... I CAN NOT WAIT ANY LONGER! I feel like a freakn kid right now ... its like waiting for christmas

man this game is the bomb, the multiplayer is just awesome

too bad they only tested the 360 version, which had alot of popping

Come on guys. All of you who come in here saying "i just played it on 360, its great so stfu"...you havent played it on the PS3 so relatively speaking, you still dont know what the differences are. (and vice versa)
Edit: it says ISNT immune..im probably beat before submitting..

Loudninja

While the PS3 and 360 versions of the game are functionally identical, the PS3's visuals sport noticeably smoother edges, along with a warmer color palette that makes everything look slightly more realistic. If you're looking to compare Accomplishments with your Achievement-hoarding friends, though, forget it - GTA IV ignores these half-assed consolation prizes altogether. PS3 owners also have to put up with a nearly eight-minute installation the first time they start the game, which puts the normally slower Blu-ray load times on par with the Xbox 360 version

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/grand...008042774322495013/g-20060313153735796095/p-4

nofi

dark10x said:

There's motion blur. I assume it's the same as the 360 one but can't compare. It's all the time when you turn quick, or get shot, or drive fast.

Lion Heart said:
Come on guys. All of you who come in here saying "i just played it on 360, its great so stfu"...you havent played it on the PS3 so relatively speaking, you still dont know what the differences are. (and vice versa)

Uh...no. It means the 360 version is an undistracting experience to them. Who in the fuck is going to be playing the 360 version, thinking about the pluses or the minuses of the PS3 version.

No one is going to think about the differences, they care about whether or not their version is managable or filled with distractions.

Sykra

f@luS said:
Yea, most noticeable around the 5.50>6min mark.

If you're looking to compare Accomplishments with your Achievement-hoarding friends, though, forget it - GTA IV ignores these half-assed consolation prizes altogether.

:lol

Seems fair, balanced, and welcoming to gamers of every stripe with open arms.

pswii60

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=134493&page=3
EuroGamer said:
Like the PS2 games before this, though, some of this comes at a cost. We've all read by now about the PS3 install time (look out for a special Face-Off feature next week), but the frame-rate also takes punishment throughout, polluted by Rockstar's unashamed ambition, with noticeable pop-in in places. It never once stopped me enjoying myself, though. The only things that did that were the occasional stickiness of cover points when trying to manoeuvre quickly, the continued absence of mid-mission checkpoints (itself only irritating when a mission begins with a long drive, which is rare), and some clunkiness in ladder-climbing and vaulting objects. And perhaps Niko's arsenal, which is quite basic, even though it's versatile.
They don't mention the 360 version, but apparently they're also doing a head to head this week. Everyone's doing one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom