• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Topher said:
Kind of bummed that the PS3 version will not be getting the DLC. But hey, if R* doesn't want my money that's fine too.

I think we get it eventually or some kind of other DLC. Hell, we could have our own exclusive DLC! If this game sells on the PS3 like they think it will, they will have to put something out.

Tobor said:
I don't think you got what he meant.

Eh, it doesn't matter. The DLC is so misunderstood that at this point I'm just kind speculating on exactly how much it's going to supersede people's expectations in terms of content, interest, etcetera.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I was only speaking on behalf of myself, and PS3 owners who feel the same. From our perspective.

Sarcasm doesn't work too well in text, so I didn't really understand what you're trying to say.

zaidr

cjtiger300 said:
I think we get it eventually or some kind of other DLC. Hell, we could have our own exclusive DLC! If this game sells on the PS3 like they think it will, they will have to put something out.

I'd like to state that if we can speculate to that degree, we should all just accept the rumour that the 360 DLC will be to the scope of San Andreas. Its just as plausible, if not more so because that allusion has actually been confirmed.

Topher said:
I was only speaking on behalf of myself, and PS3 owners who feel the same. From our perspective.

Sarcasm doesn't work too well in text, so I don't really understand what you're trying to say.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm sure Rockstar would love to have your money, and thus are making content compelling enough to make you buy the 360 version.

That's how exclusives work. Studio Liverpool wants my money, so they're making a game so incontrovertibly def (Wipeout HD) that I'll have no choice but to buy a PS3 and their game.

Tobor

BenjaminBirdie said:
Eh, it doesn't matter. The DLC is so misunderstood that at this point I'm just kind speculating on exactly how much it's going to supersede people's expectations in terms of content, interest, etcetera.

Rockstar would need to sell 1.66 million units of DLC on the PS3 at a full expansion price of $30 to equal the $50 million they received from MS. I figure they aren't missing Topher's sofa change.

zaidr said:
I'd like to state that if we can speculate to that degree, we should all just accept the rumour that the 360 DLC will be to the scope of San Andreas. Its just as plausible, if not more so because that allusion has actually been confirmed.

I think we all know that it will not be the size of San Andreas.

zaidr

cjtiger300 said:
I think we all know that it will not be the size of San Andreas.

I think you've been blowing this horn of "exclusive PS3 DLC" enough to warrant an equally absurd statement like mine...

ith3r

Banned
gtj1092 said:
Um no just rock band. Do you honestly think people were thinking about DLC or even knew about DLC when they bought those games? DLC is not a determining factor for most people when making a game purchase.

Does it matter if they knew about it or not? They bought it.

I'm not saying that people will buy the 360 version instead of the PS3 one because of the DLC, because really, how can we objectively measure this?

A game like GTA doesn't need any extra motivation to sell, being GTA4 is the determining factor here. It will sell millions to the point of saturation on both platforms. And as with other million sellers, the DLC will also sell a lot. End of story.

Truespeed

zaidr said:

So the new rumor is that the DLC will exceed 2GB? Amazing.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
zaidr said:
I'd like to state that if we can speculate to that degree, we should all just accept the rumour that the 360 DLC will be to the scope of San Andreas.

I don't see how that's plausible given that

-it took them three years to make Liberty City, so something like that would take, at the very least, a year, and

-they haven't started hitting DLC until the game went gold a few weeks ago.

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2008/04/dan-housers-ver.html

Me: When did you decide to do the episodic content? How do you see it fitting into “GTA IV?”

DH: I think it’s an experiment. The idea of a world that’s you can drop bits into it, that’s interesting. But we’ll see how it goes. At the moment, there’s not much going on with it. We’re finishing off the last bits of this one and the only way we can really do this is by really focusing on it.

Come April the 30 [the day after "GTA IV" comes out], then we’ll look at [September release] “Midnight Club[:Los Angeles]” and the episodes and everything else. For the moment we’re all like, “GTA 4! GTA 4! GTA 4!” If you want to launch a big big media product, it has to be all consuming.

But yea, it’s interesting. Maybe it’s changing and maybe it’s not ready. You don’t really know what’s happening with that stuff and at the time we’ll see what’s going on.

Norml

zaidr said:

If that were true MS would be hyping it,why not use that as hype instead of download a video instead of install?

chubigans said:
I don't see how that's plausible given that

-it took them three years to make Liberty City, so something like that would take, at the very least, a year, and

-they haven't started hitting DLC until the game went gold a few weeks ago.

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2008/04/dan-housers-ver.html

You're really missing the point. There's just as much evidence of the DLC being San Andreas sized as there is that the PS3 will be getting any episodic DLC whatsoever.

None.

From a guy in the GTA thread on the UK forum giving impressions.

and about the IGN PS3/360 thing. I have seen no "texture pop-ins", "framerate hitches", slowdowns and whatever else they mention on the 360 and the only loading times are when you go into a cutscene. You could cruise all day and see no loading what so ever

it makes me wonder if companys pay game sites like IGN to say so and so is better to improve consoles sales

actully i know thats the case with the IGN review and PES2008 its fucking disgraceful. Be a reviewer first and foremost dont fob the gamers off with shit, unreliable and wrong information
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39763&page=71

zaidr said:
I think you've been blowing this horn of "exclusive PS3 DLC" enough to warrant an equally absurd statement like mine...

MS paid for two downloads, that is it. It is not absurd to think that the 3rd download would be included on the PS Triple. Also, the Home integration and DLC for that is probably going to be exclusive since MS doesn't offer a similar service.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
BenjaminBirdie said:
You're really missing the point. There's just as much evidence of the DLC being San Andreas sized as there is that the PS3 will be getting any episodic DLC whatsoever.

None.

I AM THE LAW!

lawl.png

cjtiger300 said:
MS paid for two downloads, that is it. It is not absurd to think that the 3rd download would be included on the PS Triple. Also, the Home integration and DLC for that is probably going to be exclusive since MS doesn't offer a similar service.

I don't think anyone would be compelled to equate a HOME space and related content to episodic storylines involving America's Sweetheart Niko Bellic.

Tobor

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't think anyone would be compelled to equate a HOME space and related content to episodic storylines involving America's Sweetheart Niko Bellic.

Don't discount the awesomeness of GTA4 virtual sofa cushions.

If some amazing piece of compelling content comes out for the PS3, I might buy a copy. By then I'll probably have a PS3 anyway. Until then, I ride with what is confirmed.

zaidr

cjtiger300 said:

I am seriously doubting any Home integration from GTAIV, or any significant showing from a third party developer for games that come out before Home is truly launched. They have their Social Club, and that will be their hub for their games.

The only reason 360 is getting exclusive DLC is because MS paid for it. Whats stopping R*, if they ever make a 3rd DLC offering (which I doubt, if the first two are substantial), from releasing it on both platforms? Sony money hatting them almost 1 year after the release of the original game?

BenjaminBirdie said:

Agree, but what about the 3rd episode? At this point, the DLC is pure speculation. No one knows anything about it or what it will consist of. For all we know, it will add very little to the overall storyline.

zaidr said:
I am seriously doubting any Home integration from GTAIV, or any significant showing from a third party developer for games that come out before Home is truly launched. They have their Social Club, and that will be their hub for their games.

The only reason 360 is getting exclusive DLC is because MS paid for it. Whats stopping R*, if they ever make a 3rd DLC offering (which I doubt, if the first two are substantial), from releasing it on both platforms? Sony money hatting them almost 1 year after the release of the original game?

I agree. There's nothing at all stopping them. But honestly, I don't see the appeal in waiting at least a year for more Niko when there'll be plenty in just a few months.

I mean, when it boils down to it, we might as well be debating the very existence of exclusives. This is the whole point of them. To get you to pick one over the other with unmissable content.

zaidr said:

Rockstar has all but confirmed Home integration.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I agree. There's nothing at all stopping them. But honestly, I don't see the appeal in waiting at least a year for more Niko when there'll be plenty in just a few months.

I mean, when it boils down to it, we might as well be debating the very existence of exclusives. This is the whole point of them. To get you to pick one over the other with unmissable content.

Big surprise that you agree. Who says that we will have to wait a whole year?

cjtiger300 said:
Agree, but what about the 3rd episode? At this point, the DLC is pure speculation. No one knows anything about it or what it will consist of. For all we know, it will add very little to the overall storyline.

This doesn't make much sense when considering Houser's own statements about their promotion. I'd say it's very educated speculation. After all, all of the advertising for the game (which, remember, Houser has said could be replicated for the DLC's release) has focused on either:

a) The City
b) The Character Of Niko Bellic

An expansion of either would be tremendously significant to anyone who finds either of them appealing.

zaidr

cjtiger300 said:

This mentality is so hilarious to see unfold. In the same breath, you are downplaying the very DLC you seem to want for the PS3. WTF?

One the one hand, DLC will be unsubstantial.

On the other hand, PS3 might get a third DLC pack!

The inner conflict is delicious...

cjtiger300 said:
Big surprise that you agree. Who says that we will have to wait a whole year?

September 2008 is the release of the first episode. I'd imagine the second one would be released at the same distance. The third one the same after that. Making it about a year from the release of Grand Theft Auto 4.

And your first sentence (bolded) is unnecessary. I'm not maligning anything. Just talking honestly about the facts that we know about the situation, and bringing baseless speculation under scrutiny. None of which requires or betrays any bias whatsoever.

zaidr said:
This mentality is so hilarious to see unfold. In the same breath, you are downplaying the very DLC you seem to want for the PS3. WTF?

One the one hand, DLC will be unsubstantial.

On the other hand, PS3 might get a third DLC pack!

The inner conflict is delicious...

There is no inner conflict here my friend. My speculation that it will be insignificant is the same as your speculation that it will be as big as San Andreas. If the content comes to the PS3 and it is compelling I will buy it. If it doesn't, no biggie as I will have plenty of great games to play including GTA IV Multiplayer.

Tobor said:
Which means what exactly? Why would this sound more impressive than 2 exclusive episodes?

While I doubt they will do it based on what others were saying, Home integration could be more impressive. yeah.

I mean, we know that DLC will still be the same gameplay and all that as GTA4, but if you look at other games and their home integration, they have some killer stuff. Uncharted has a 2D action game, just imagine if there was a 2D GTA4 made for Home or something. Maybe even a lobby of Liberty City or something else.

again, I don't think they are gonna be doing anything interesting anymore with Home, but without prior reports and just considered what other games were doing, the I would consider it more impressive or at least as interesting than 2 exclusive episodes.

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
There is no inner conflict here my friend. My speculation that it will be insignificant is the same as your speculation that it will be as big as San Andreas. If the content comes to the PS3 and it is compelling I will buy it. If it doesn't, no biggie as I will have plenty of great games to play including GTA IV Multiplayer.

I thought we got word that the DLC would be at least 10 hours?

Tobor

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what "Home integration" is. All I'm picturing is fake furniture, clothing, and trophies.

Linkzg said:
While I doubt they will do it based on what others were saying, Home integration could be more impressive. yeah.

I mean, we know that DLC will still be the same gameplay and all that as GTA4, but if you look at other games and their home integration, they have some killer stuff. Uncharted has a 2D action game, just imagine if there was a 2D GTA4 made for Home or something. Maybe even a lobby of Liberty City or something else.

again, I don't think they are gonna be doing anything interesting anymore with Home, but without prior reports and just considered what other games were doing, the I would consider it more impressive or at least as interesting than 2 exclusive episodes.

And thank you. A lobby is unimpressive. A 2d game, warmer, maybe.

BenjaminBirdie said:
September 2008 is the release of the first episode. I'd imagine the second one would be released at the same distance. The third one the same after that. Making it about a year from the release of Grand Theft Auto 4.

And your first sentence (bolded) is unnecessary. I'm not maligning anything. Just talking honestly about the facts that we know about the situation, and bringing baseless speculation under scrutiny. None of which requires or betrays any bias whatsoever.

Do you own a PS3? If you don't, then this is why I said Big Surprise. I was not trying to attack you and if it came off that way then I apologize.

zaidr

cjtiger300 said:

Are we back to that again? I thought we all agreed that the San Andreas comment was a point to counter with your idea of exclusive DLC being available for the PS3. Its obviously crazy, as was the comment about exclusive PS3 DLC.

Personally, I hope the DLC packs add to the city landmass itself, even if its one small island at a time, since that will mean you can play it in Multiplayer too (I hope).

Tobor said:
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what "Home integration" is. All I'm picturing is fake furniture, clothing, and trophies.

And thank you. A lobby is unimpressive. A 2d game, warmer, maybe.

They are just examples of what I was thinking could be done with GTA4. I'm sure Rockstar could think of some awesome stuff, but at the same time I doubt they would put so much effort into a free bonus and it will end up being T-shirts and that stuff.

other examples of home integration is Warhawk with its briefing room and whatever they said about Resistance (I forgot what it was, I think something to do with radio.)

Karma said:
I thought we got word that the DLC would be at least 10 hours?

I meant insignificant to the overall story. It could be 10 hrs of side missions. It could be like Liberty City Stories on a smaller scale. Pure speculation although I would lean more towards the latter.

Wollan

Tobor said:
Home integration would mean:
- Equal to using a mobile phone to start mp games in GTA you could use a PSP in Home for the same function (bringing with the people you are grouping with in Home over to GTA and a specific mp game).
- The other is that certain tasks within GTA4 earns you various rewards/achievements be that Home items such as furniture, clothes..etc or Trophies.
- Thirdly a potential GTA Space or Rockstar Social Club could be present in Home and whatever the dev wants to put there (you can age restrict Home spaces) they can.

zaidr said:
Are we back to that again? I thought we all agreed that the San Andreas comment was a point to counter with your idea of exclusive DLC being available for the PS3. Its obviously crazy, as was the comment about exclusive PS3 DLC.

Personally, I hope the DLC packs add to the city landmass itself, even if its one small island at a time, since that will mean you can play it in Multiplayer too (I hope).

That would be sweet.

Tobor

Wollan said:
Home integration would mean:
- Equal to using a mobile phone to start mp games in GTA you could use a PSP in Home for the same function (bringing with the people you are grouping with in Home over to GTA and a specific mp game).
- The other is that certain tasks within GTA4 earns you various rewards/achievements be that Home items such as furniture, clothes..etc or Trophies.
- Thirdly a potential GTA Space or Rockstar Social Club could be present in Home and whatever the dev wants to put there (you can age restrict Home spaces) they can.

None of which is interesting to me in the least, but I honestly thank you for the explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom